Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live Ballet and Opera

This summer I went to my first live transmission of a Ballet. Since then I have been to live transmissions of Ballet from the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden, Opera from Glyndebourne, and from The Globe Theatre, two Shakespeare plays and Marlowe's Doctor Faustus.

Even if I had paid for the most expensive seats at the live venue, I couldn't have had a better view than that I had in the cinema. The cost was similar to the latest Hollywood shoot-em-up to save-the-world, but my enjoyment was much better.

And there are more live transmissions to come from The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. At cinema prices, I can afford to see an opera I don't know just to see what it is like. I would be reluctant to pay over 100 pounds plus overnight accommodation in London, to see a minor composer's work. But at 10 pounds at a multiplex with free parking 15 miles away, or 8 pounds at cinema within walking distance - why not? If I don't like it, I could walk out.

More live transmissions please.
 
Birthday Ouch!

Last night we went out to a Genealogy meeting. It was pouring with rain as we walked from the car park.

My wife tripped and fell flat. She had obviously bruised herself but everything seemed to be still working. I offered to take her to the Emergency hospital 20 miles away but she wanted to go to the meeting.

She woke up this morning, her birthday, still hurting, so we went to the local Minor Injuries unit. She has cracked a left arm bone close to her shoulder so has to wear a sling.

The birthday outing was abandoned. We'll have a birthday meal tonight and may go on the outing tomorrow but she is annoyed with herself for falling.

What annoys her most is that Og will have to do the washing, the washing-up, the cooking... It's not that I'm incompetent. She just prefers to do it herself.

Not the best way to spend her birthday. At our ages birthdays tend to be low key affairs but she'll remember this one!
 
This summer I went to my first live transmission of a Ballet. Since then I have been to live transmissions of Ballet from the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden, Opera from Glyndebourne, and from The Globe Theatre, two Shakespeare plays and Marlowe's Doctor Faustus.

Even if I had paid for the most expensive seats at the live venue, I couldn't have had a better view than that I had in the cinema. The cost was similar to the latest Hollywood shoot-em-up to save-the-world, but my enjoyment was much better.

And there are more live transmissions to come from The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. At cinema prices, I can afford to see an opera I don't know just to see what it is like. I would be reluctant to pay over 100 pounds plus overnight accommodation in London, to see a minor composer's work. But at 10 pounds at a multiplex with free parking 15 miles away, or 8 pounds at cinema within walking distance - why not? If I don't like it, I could walk out.

More live transmissions please.



http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/liveinhd/LiveinHD.aspx

In the U.K.:
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/liveinhd/uk.aspx
(I admit surprise at the number of U.K. locations)

Interesting. I grew up listening to the Saturday afternoon radio broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera. I suppose, as a result, I became accustomed to opera as an audio phenomena.


As an adult, I've attended live performances at the Metropolitan Opera House, Glyndebourne, the Volksoper (Vienna), and the Vienna State Opera House— among others. I find the staging and pageantry to be only mildly entertaining. I admit that last year's Met staging of Wagner's Ring Cycle was interesting. On the whole, however, I really am perfectly content to recline at home where I can be (and frequently am) lulled into a relaxed nap by Butterfly or Mimi or Aida.


 
Wow. You men make a girl feel good. :cattail:

Iso blurt for today: It's interesting how some people react so strongly to stories and characters. Sometimes it's amusing, at others, humbling.
 
The ellipsis is the most overused punctuation in the English language, and I am the most egregious over-user of it...









:D
 
The ellipsis is the most overused punctuation in the English language, and I am the most egregious over-user of it...

:D

Oh no, not the ellipsis! That's almost as bad as an inappropriate use of the tilde, such as:

Dear Charlotte~


Agggghhhhhh! I had a colleague who used it constantly, and it drove me bonkers.

It's always the little things. :D
 
Oh no, not the ellipsis! That's almost as bad as an inappropriate use of the tilde, such as:

Dear Charlotte~


Agggghhhhhh! I had a colleague who used it constantly, and it drove me bonkers.

It's always the little things. :D

And the not so little as well...

~gropes~

and :kiss:es
 
Oooh! You're just pushing ALL my buttons tonight, aren't you?! :D ;)

*pushes*

We will make a Litster out of you yet...

(wait, aren't you one of the original Litsters?)

Parenthesis, the other most abused punctuation overused by me :D
 
Christmas Cards

Every year we send and get Christmas Cards. We're always late because my wife's birthday is on the 15th December and she doesn't like anything 'Christmas' until after her birthday.

Every year we send some to people who don't send us one.

Every year we get one or two from people from whom we don't expect one.

This year one of my cousins died. Of course we sent a message of condolence to her daughter (and her long-divorced husband with whom she was still in touch). I hadn't seen that cousin for 30 years and had never met her daughter.

Yesterday we had a Christmas Card from the daughter who wrote it from herself, her son and her father.

Panic. We didn't have her address. We didn't even know she had a son.

But my sister in law thought that the daughter was living in her mother's old house and we did have that address. She and my brother had also received a Christmas Card from the daughter. But their Christmas Card had an unreadable postmark so they couldn't be sure where the daughter was living. Our card's envelope had a clear postmark so both of us are sending Christmas Cards back.

They'll arrive late. :(

Years ago we used to send and receive several hundred Christmas Cards. Now we send and receive several dozen personalised emails and about fifty cards.

But we still dislike the generic email or annual round-robin letter enclosed with the card. Those that are personalised are useful and show some thought. The ones that are sent in identical words to relations, friends and acquaintances seem patronising.

Do we need to know that little Johnny is being a sheep in the Nativity play when we've never met little Johnny?

What do you think about Christmas Greetings?

Oops! I nearly forgot. Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to all of you, whether I know you, or you know me, or not... Whichever. Just have a good time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top