Comments and favorites coming in groups?

49greg

Literotica Hack
I haven't gotten much posted in a while, just one in 2018, but Have been checking my control panel nearly every day - between bouts of staring at partly finished or barely started stories that I can't seem to get finished.

One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites one of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else.

Then nothing for a while, then it happens again weeks, or days, or months later with another story.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

My thought was that it was happening in clumps like that when one of my stories got listed in the 'random stories' list of whatever category story hub.

Edited for typos etc.

Last edited:
I haven't gotten much posted in a while, just one in 2018, but Have been checking my control panel nearly every day - between bouts of staring at partly finished or barely started stories that I can't seem to get going on.

One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites on of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else.

Then nothing for a while, then it happens again weeks or days or months later with another story.

My thought was that it was happening in clumps like that when one of my stories got listed in the 'random stories' list of whatever category story hub.
Recent comments get posted on the category front page. It's most likely that, folk seeing an intriguing comment and go take a look for themselves. It's surprising, the cyclic life of stories - I'm seeing older stories still getting faved, but I put that down to folk trawling through my back catalogue, off the back of new content. In your case, with no new content, it's something less obvious.

I rarely receive comments outside of LW and my banana-slug incest story. My catalog still receives faves, sometimes all entries in a long series being faved at once by one reader, sometimes a few readers faving one story all at once. Few are un-faved. I am happy enough. I do not try to judge reader psychology. They do what they do.

Comments are also moderated. If you post a comment if your own, you'll see that it doesn't show up on the story until a while later. No one seems to know if a human being reviews them, or if they queue up and get processed in batches by an algorithm, or if they are cached to reduce server load.

One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites on of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else.

I've noticed this too-- could be a coincidence or maybe not.

Sometimes I'll see someone leave a comment on my story, then afterwards someone favorites it.

As stated, people do look at the comment updates; both on the overall comment list, and the comments on the Hub.

Actually, I look at the Hub list too sometimes to see what people are reading. If there's a glowing review or a catchy title, who knows, a reader would be inclined to open it and read it.

Another thing that I think happens occasionally: somebody reads the story, loves it, comments/likes, and then recommends it to a friend who also comments/likes.

My stories' comments and favourites have always come in groups: groups of one. :D

Comments and favorites coming in groups?

I recall from a statistics and probability class this situation often occurs.

Your observation generally follows Murphy's Law of Probable Dispersal: Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed. :D

It's interesting in a data-obsessive way to watch the ups and downs of reader reaction to stories over time. Sometimes daily views will go up noticeably for older stories, and I don't know why. I haven't published anything in a while, so it's not that. I imagine the comment clumping occurs, as others have noted, because comments get posted for people to see, and people are responding to them.

I know we should never rely on votes or comments, but sometimes, I really need the boost that comes with knowing someone has enjoyed my efforts. Endless shouting into the void only gets you so far.

I haven't gotten much posted in a while, just one in 2018, but Have been checking my control panel nearly every day - between bouts of staring at partly finished or barely started stories that I can't seem to get finished.

One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites one of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else.

Then nothing for a while, then it happens again weeks, or days, or months later with another story.

Edited for typos etc.

I seem to have recruited my own personal anonymous troll. Someone went through and left negative comments and 1 votes on at least four stories last weekend. Who takes the time to read and comment on multiple stories from one author when they hate the author's work?

I know we should never rely on votes or comments, but sometimes, I really need the boost that comes with knowing someone has enjoyed my efforts. Endless shouting into the void only gets you so far.

I agree completely. Why publish a story at all unless you want someone to read it and enjoy it? If all you care about is the creation of it you can keep it secret on your hard drive. I write the stories that I want to write, but I derive pleasure from knowing others have read and enjoyed them. It especially tickles me to get a favorable comment about an old story that no one has said anything about for a while.

I agree completely. Why publish a story at all unless you want someone to read it and enjoy it? If all you care about is the creation of it you can keep it secret on your hard drive. I write the stories that I want to write, but I derive pleasure from knowing others have read and enjoyed them. It especially tickles me to get a favorable comment about an old story that no one has said anything about for a while.

Me too, I love the comments and feedback. Just knowing someone's enjoyed your story enough to leave a comment, good or bad, is great.

Back