The Defenders Renewed (Group Thread Open To All)

Jordan blinked, shocked at how abrupt this woman was. His hand was still hanging half in the air in the start of a one sided handshake. Looking past her back to the doorway he snapped his fingers, moving away from the tension into the empty corner of the room.

"I won't kill anyone, if that's what you mean, no. But there's never been a scrape that I couldn't walk away from. And how about you consider for a minute how much danger you'd be in? I understand that if you had months to set up, and info on your target's every move, you might have a chance, but if that conversation I heard from outside holds any merit, we don't have that kind of time, or the man power to collect your info."

He looked back and forth between the captain and her.

"Look, at the very least, I'm a faster mode of transportation than walking."

Veronica studied him again, her mind calculating odds for a moment before she spoke. "Three days. Give me three days to see what he can do. I'll train him to work with me, and use his powers to compliment my skills. He won't be all that useful, but I think I can have him avoid getting killed at least." Veronica said to the Commander. "In three days, if I say he's good enough, he goes to Russia. If not, I go with you." She said.

"Fair enough" John said nodding "you and I will train him together it will give us a chance to work together we well and I can brief you more on what you can expect from the syndicate"

"Siren are you good with that? Leading the team against the terrors in case I go to Russia? From what I recall you still owe Drena for that nasty little scrape in Barcelona"

"Yea yea yea, new guy sucks and needs babysat, great. But who are these terror guys, and why are they so terrifying?" Max asked, hoping up onto the table and walking across it before jumping down and standing with the others. She pulled her revolver out and spun the chamber. "Will this do the trick, or do I need to bring something bigger? I saw a big ass machine gun in the armory. I was gonna fix it up until asshole ruined our date." Max said to the Commander, but turning to Gregory when she said asshole.

Avery listened ti the others debate the merits and risks kf where to place Jordan. When the Commander turned to her she shrugged.

"I'm good with whatever Chief," she said, honestly nit minding either way. She knew she would make do with whichever team she had so it wouldn't be a problem. She looked over at Jordan and motioned for him to come and sit back next to her. They would need to discuss his confidence levels.

"Max I have a different assignment for you" John said turning and folding his arms "the terrors are a bit over your league bullets dont work there living smoke among other things" he said sighing and shaking his head at her exaggerated act.

"You'll be going to Russia working as back up for Veronica and Spark" John said jerking his thumb at the two of them "once the terrors have been stopped unless there are any more distractions the overwatch team will head to russia as well and see if we cant put a stop to this once and for all"

Avery listened ti the others debate the merits and risks kf where to place Jordan. When the Commander turned to her she shrugged.

"I'm good with whatever Chief," she said, honestly nit minding either way. She knew she would make do with whichever team she had so it wouldn't be a problem. She looked over at Jordan and motioned for him to come and sit back next to her. They would need to discuss his confidence levels.

Jordan watched the others interact, there seemed to be alot of internal argument in this group, most of it radiating from the angry looking girl. He wondered to himself whther this group could actually hold together. He was glad to have the Siren there though, she seemed like a good mentor to follow, very calm and cool.

He walked over and sat by her, tuning out the others until they needed him in order to talk to Siren.

"Absolutely not! She'll blow the operation in ten minutes. Even if she can manage to behave, she'll be spotted by the enemy and blow our cover. She'll stick out like a sore thumb over there. You hired me for my skills in infiltration, now let me use those skills. No one here is on level with me. Anyone you send with me will only slow me down." Veronica said, holding in her frustration. "I hate to agree with Queenie, but I don't do quiet. I like to blow shit up and leave trails of bodies. Plus these things are loud." Max said, firing her revolver at the ceiling for emphasis. "If that doesn't prove my point, nothing will. If she goes to Russia, we'll all die." Veronica said. "Isn't there some nest I can go clear out? I'll bring the kid, I don't give a fuck." Max said, twirling the map. "How 'bout here? A factory got taken over by the syndicate in India. Nobody with powers. Low resistance... No problem! I'll blow that place to Hell, easy." Max said, zooming in on the factory.

"What you said before, Spark, about people seeing me as a hero?" Avery turned to the guy after he sat, whispering as the others argued. "Sometimes, when people look at me all they see is a freak. I mean really, who wants to looked at some winged monstrosity? I get that you don't feel people know you, but you also get to escape their detection. When all this is over," she waved around airily "you can do anything you live,particularly if you keep your identity secret. Me? I had to go into politics. Who other than a circus or the military wants a winged woman in their ranks?" Siren sighed, readjusting on her stool and eyeing the other.

"You managed to get in here. That is proof enough of your skills. The rest? You'll pick it up in no time. We were all learning at some stage."

"What you said before, Spark, about people seeing me as a hero?" Avery turned to the guy after he sat, whispering as the others argued. "Sometimes, when people look at me all they see is a freak. I mean really, who wants to looked at some winged monstrosity? I get that you don't feel people know you, but you also get to escape their detection. When all this is over," she waved around airily "you can do anything you live,particularly if you keep your identity secret. Me? I had to go into politics. Who other than a circus or the military wants a winged woman in their ranks?" Siren sighed, readjusting on her stool and eyeing the other.

"You managed to get in here. That is proof enough of your skills. The rest? You'll pick it up in no time. We were all learning at some stage."

He beamed at Siren, his idol for the younger years of his life, sitting next to him and giving him advice. He was starting to feel bad about her position as a political puppet, he had always simply assumed she had chosen to go into it, rather than been forcibly worked into the system.

"Well hey, here. I know you can't hide your changes as well as I can, but the wings? You're the literal representation of an angel. And I used to read alot about you, I heard that you have the ability to heal wounds magically! That's such a gift. I promise, if you really didn't want to, you would never have to work in politics again, and I mean, who could tell you otherwise? Hire an agent, do what you want! You saved us all once, why shouldn't you get what you want?"

Avery smiled at his words, a blush creeping up on her cheeks. She had only done the superheroing thing for a year, so she had never quite gotten used to the compliments. She waved it off.

"It wasn't all bad," she said dismissively, thinking of the out of the way home she was able to buy thanks to the money earned by her political career. "Look, no matter who you end up on a team with here, I am sure you will be just fine. Well, maybe except for her," Avery joked, nodding at Max and pointing at the new hole in the roof, "Though perhaps you are the best to go with her as you can make a quick getaway if need be..."

Last edited:
Jordan looked over at Max too, noting her numerous tatoos and flambouyant personality. She seemed to be the polar opposite of the others. She was a freak, and she ate it up. Instead of hiding herself to fit in, she seemed to feed on the difference between herself and others. She reveled in the awkward situations that sprung up around her. Not exactly the greatest mentor in the world, but at least she had confidence, he supposed.

"Honestly I would trust any of you. Gerard seemed to believe that this woud be a safe place for me, and you all seem like you can take care of yourselves. You're all still alive anyways, so that's gotta mean something, right?"

Avery liked Jordan, he seemed to be a good kind of guy.

"You could say that," she said with a shrug. She knew that all of their confident exteriors could have hidden any number of scars, but it wasn't the time nor place to delve into that. "Things'll settle down once we all know each other better." She echoed her sentiment from earlier in the day, but had found it to be true in her last experience with the Defenders, she hoped it would be the same this time too.

"Dear lord I forgot what it was like trying to organize a bunch of lone wolves and super heros" John murmured to himself before shaking his head.

"Veronica I am not sending you in without any back up once more not into Russia" John said shaking his head and sighing "You go early and set up recon with spark I will meet you there so we can see whats going on with the syndicate after Avery and I deal with the terrors Max you want to go bust up the facility in India then go for it Gregory will be your back up his spiders are mission ready"

He heard the whispering again and clenched his fist focusing on that for a second "Avery you and spark seem to be getting along care to train him up? Veronica you and I will go ahead and debrief about what you can expect to be dealing with Max you and gregory can go ahead and go to India if were all clear?"

Rei-An - Coelus Ignis

Rei-An, or Coelus, as he preferred, spoke. "I've had some of my old contacts in China and Japan finding out some of Jane's nasty secrets along with the Syndicate's. Those 'living smoke' creatures the Terrors employ are Enraenra, creatures that are best suited for infiltration and assassinations. There is one of those creatures that was created by darker magicks, but has turn its abilities to justice due to his past. Tomas was unwillingly turned into one of those Enraenra. Fortunately, in their physical state, Enraenra are as vulnerable to attack as anyone else, though most projectile weapons and piercing weapons do little to them. Intense temperature spikes of hot or cold, however, is one of their primary weaknesses. Capturing and holding them may be difficult, as without a fully sealed chamber with no exits, they could escape easily, " Coelus said dryly. He had no intention of revealing who his contacts were, however. The Enraenra, however, were known to be employed by only the Syndicate.

Last edited:
"Fine. As long as he's not a little bitch again." Max said, grabbing Gregory and dragging him out of the room.

"Fine." Veronica said, pinching the bridge of her nose. "But my conditions remain. I get three days for training. Where should I take him?" She asked.

"All right then," Avery got to her feet, eager to he out of the way for the rest of the discussion between the Commander, Veronica and Coelus. She stretched out her legs and her wings a bit before turning to Jordan.

"Come on Spark, come and show ne what you've got. I do have to warn you that I'm a bit rusty."

Avery walked out of the room and took the familiar route to the training arena. When they crossed from the base proper into the large domed area she grinned, pleased it hadn't fallen to ruins. It was huge. Large enough for her to fly in comfortably, with a variety of urban, suburban and rural mock ups to make up many of training scenarios. In the centre there was a large, flat, round arena. They would start there.

"Fine. As long as he's not a little bitch again." Max said, grabbing Gregory and dragging him out of the room.

"Fine." Veronica said, pinching the bridge of her nose. "But my conditions remain. I get three days for training. Where should I take him?" She asked.

"Let Avery work with him a bit" John said nodding at the two as they disappeared "Kid seems to look up to her let him get a handle on his powers and then you can take him for three days for training" He said gesturing for her to follow him.

"I am afraid you will have the hardest task the terrors are nothing more than a distraction Jane has always used them that way" John said leading her to his office which was just ofset the OPS center. He moved in closing the door behind him and gesturing for her to sit.

"Would you like a drink?" He asked turning to her and raising an eyebrow.

"All right then," Avery got to her feet, eager to he out of the way for the rest of the discussion between the Commander, Veronica and Coelus. She stretched out her legs and her wings a bit before turning to Jordan.

"Come on Spark, come and show ne what you've got. I do have to warn you that I'm a bit rusty."

Avery walked out of the room and took the familiar route to the training arena. When they crossed from the base proper into the large domed area she grinned, pleased it hadn't fallen to ruins. It was huge. Large enough for her to fly in comfortably, with a variety of urban, suburban and rural mock ups to make up many of training scenarios. In the centre there was a large, flat, round arena. They would start there.

"Yes sir..." Jordan muttered to the commander. He was glad to be paired with Siren, but he was surprised by how quickly Chief had lived up to his namesake, effectively ordering everyone out. He got up and followed Siren, grinning boradly as she flexed her wings.

Rather than simply walk behind her, however, he chose to sit on his butt, and snap from spot to spot, moving from one hallway to the next, always staying right behind her. By the time they reached the arena, he had a few holes in his shirt. Nothing he couldn't fix later.

"Wow," he said, awed by the size of this room, " This place is a palace! Those spiders do good work."

Looking back to Siren, eager to prove himself, and maybe even surprise her with his abilities, "Where first?"

"Will you get off me" He said pushing her hand off of him and glaring "im perfectly capable of fucking walking" He said to her turning and whistling. Five of his spiders came up forming into a line as he walked over to the hangar.

"I mean shit you ever tried just asking nicely?" He asked going over to one of their trucks and turning to look at her.

"Let Avery work with him a bit" John said nodding at the two as they disappeared "Kid seems to look up to her let him get a handle on his powers and then you can take him for three days for training" He said gesturing for her to follow him.

"I am afraid you will have the hardest task the terrors are nothing more than a distraction Jane has always used them that way" John said leading her to his office which was just ofset the OPS center. He moved in closing the door behind him and gesturing for her to sit.

"Would you like a drink?" He asked turning to her and raising an eyebrow.

"No thank you. I prefer to keep a clear head when I'm planning an operation. If I miss something I could die." Veronica said, sitting down in the offered chair. "So what are you not telling us? You said Jane believes something is coming to enslave humanity. What is that something?"

"Yes sir..." Jordan muttered to the commander. He was glad to be paired with Siren, but he was surprised by how quickly Chief had lived up to his namesake, effectively ordering everyone out. He got up and followed Siren, grinning boradly as she flexed her wings.

Rather than simply walk behind her, however, he chose to sit on his butt, and snap from spot to spot, moving from one hallway to the next, always staying right behind her. By the time they reached the arena, he had a few holes in his shirt. Nothing he couldn't fix later.

"Wow," he said, awed by the size of this room, " This place is a palace! Those spiders do good work."

Looking back to Siren, eager to prove himself, and maybe even surprise her with his abilities, "Where first?"

Avery smiled to herself as she noted Jordan's mode of transportation. By the time they made it to the centre of the arena she saw a few holed in his shirt. Her eyebrows raised, at least that explained the sock.

"We should have some sort of material around here to make a suit for you. One that is more capable of travelling with you."

Avery spread her wings out in earnest now, being able to so for the first time in the day. She sighed in relief at the comforting stretch and gave two hard flaps ro launch herself off the ground she maintained a low altitude, only two meters of the ground,
Her wings treading he air and the force od the wind buffeting at Jordan slightly.

"Come at me," she said with a grin.

Commander POV

"No thank you. I prefer to keep a clear head when I'm planning an operation. If I miss something I could die." Veronica said, sitting down in the offered chair. "So what are you not telling us? You said Jane believes something is coming to enslave humanity. What is that something?"

John said wincing at her words. He could already hear them whispering again like nails on chalkboard. The tug or whatever it was that they were doing to follow their orders stirred inside of him and he huriedly fixed himself a drink before sitting down at his desk.

"Its not widely known because the UN doesnt want it to be after all one of the nations greatest hero's is now humanitys greatest threat but the alien chemicals that made us what we are well..... they had a side effect we both experience it but she let hers drive her made Jane believes the aliens talk to us and want her to take over the world so they can come back and harvest us"

Avery smiled to herself as she noted Jordan's mode of transportation. By the time they made it to the centre of the arena she saw a few holed in his shirt. Her eyebrows raised, at least that explained the sock.

"We should have some sort of material around here to make a suit for you. One that is more capable of travelling with you."

Avery spread her wings out in earnest now, being able to so for the first time in the day. She sighed in relief at the comforting stretch and gave two hard flaps ro launch herself off the ground she maintained a low altitude, only two meters of the ground,
Her wings treading he air and the force od the wind buffeting at Jordan slightly.

"Come at me," she said with a grin.

if you insist... He looked up at her. Obviously he wasn't going to try to kill her, maybe just grab onto her? That shouldn't be so hard, right? Her wingspan was huge after all.

Jordan looked up, spotting a ledge about a hundred feet above her. He snapped, then twisted his body as he fell down towards her, spreading. His arms and legs wide to slow his fall. It had little effect, and he let out a shout as he rapidly plummeted down towards her back. That shirt must have been enough to give him away however, and she deftly flicked her wings, taking herself just out if his trajectory, and leaving nothing but empty air between him and the ground.

"AHH!" He shouted, before snapping his fingers and carrying himself to another ledge, closer to the ground. He clutched his chest, heart pounding. No more heights, okay. Maybe he could just go straight to her? He turned around and found her flying again, just watchin him. Her body bouncing as her wings flapped to hold her aloft, he trained his eyes on her slim body and snapped, scrambling for purchase as he appeared next to her and began falling. He wound up clinging to one shapely leg, holding on for dear life, but on his target.

John said wincing at her words. He could already hear them whispering again like nails on chalkboard. The tug or whatever it was that they were doing to follow their orders stirred inside of him and he huriedly fixed himself a drink before sitting down at his desk.

"Its not widely known because the UN doesnt want it to be after all one of the nations greatest hero's is now humanitys greatest threat but the alien chemicals that made us what we are well..... they had a side effect we both experience it but she let hers drive her made Jane believes the aliens talk to us and want her to take over the world so they can come back and harvest us"

Veronica took in what he said, thinking for a moment before she spoke. "Are you sure she's wrong? You clearly have first have knowledge of extraterrestrial life. What if they are speaking to you?" Veronica asked carefully.

Back