Categories

chasten

Curmudgeon
I'm curious about categories that trump other categories. I.e., what's the undocumented hierarchy here for story placement? For example, I find pure cheating wife stories in Erotic Couplings irritating even if they are erotically coupling in the plot; I think they belong in Loving Wives.

Specifically, if you had a story where nonhumans were integral but it had heavy elements of nonconsent, would you place it in NonHuman or NonConsent/Reluctance? If it matters, there's an explicit warning about the nonconsensual aspects in the story's introduction.

Last edited:
Yeah, that article linked to a good thread on the subject, though I disagree with a few of the rankings.

I'd put the order at:
  • Celebrities
  • Gay Male
  • NonHuman
  • Mind Control
  • Incest/Taboo
  • Transsexuals & Crossdressers
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • BDSM
  • Erotic Horror
  • Fetish
  • Lesbian Sex
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • Group Sex
  • Interracial Love
  • Loving Wives
  • Anal
  • Toys & Masturbation
  • Mature
  • First Time
  • Romance
  • Erotic Couplings
I'd probably only really call the top 7 trumps and, of course, depending on how focused the story is can move a story up or down a rank or two (e.g., is it an Incest story that happens to have hypnosis, or a Mind Control story that happens to involve his sister?).

... or more than a rank or two, as you get closer to the end. I mean, I'm not sure a story exists that anyone has ever insisted must be or must not be in the Toys & Masturbation category.

And, yeah, I wouldn't want to try to defend this as any kind of objective truth or anything more than an idiosyncratic viewpoint, particularly the much heavier ranking given to Gay Male over Lesbian.

Considering the varying opinions as to what Loving Wives actually covers ("Is it a subgenre of Romance, Fetish or Erotic Couplings?" is a pretty basic question that I don't know the answer to), I wouldn't blame someone for eschewing that for a category they think is a better fit.

Last edited:
I'm useless at choosing categories.

My latest story I put in Loving Wives. Some anon, and not-anon as well, are telling me I'm wrong. :eek:

But their suggestions seem equally wrong...

I'd put the order at:
  • Celebrities
  • Gay Male
  • NonHuman
  • Mind Control
  • Incest/Taboo
  • Transsexuals & Crossdressers
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • BDSM
  • Erotic Horror
  • Fetish
  • Lesbian Sex
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • Group Sex
  • Interracial Love
  • Loving Wives
  • Anal
  • Toys & Masturbation
  • Mature
  • First Time
  • Romance
  • Erotic Couplings
I'd probably only really call the top 7 trumps and, of course, depending on how focused the story is can move a story up or down a rank or two...
I've seen Celebs in various categories but in non-fucking roles. I've put significant but not dominant Gay Male and Incest bits in Group, and Mind Control and Erotic Horror in Incest. One incident does not a theme make. I'll agree that Erotic Couplings is the catch-all. Swing that bucket!

Typical anon response to my Nude Day story in Loving Wives:

Doesn't the site have admins or mods to take care of these deliberate miscategorization trolls?

Description of category from Story Lists:

Loving Wives - Married extra-marital fun: swinging, sharing & more

Doesn't the site have admins or mods to take care of these deliberate miscategorization trolls?

"Troll" seems a bit much, but I'll admit I'm curious as to why you picked that category.

The story's a murder mystery about BDSM. It was basically a L&O:SVU episode, which seems like it'd fit in either Non-Erotic or BDSM.

I mean, there were cheating wives mentioned in the story, but I wouldn't really consider extra-marital fun to be the central focus.

"Troll" seems a bit much, but I'll admit I'm curious as to why you picked that category.

The story's a murder mystery about BDSM. It was basically a L&O:SVU episode, which seems like it'd fit in either Non-Erotic or BDSM.

I mean, there were cheating wives mentioned in the story, but I wouldn't really consider extra-marital fun to be the central focus.

I would've put it in Erotic Horror, but like ogg, I'm lousy at picking categories.

Description of category from Story Lists:

Loving Wives - Married extra-marital fun: swinging, sharing & more

I was puzzled by the negativity, but I agree it's not at all a loving wives story. Seems like non erotic would be more appropriate. There is some recall of erotic activity but not in an erotic way.

I was puzzled by the negativity, but I agree it's not at all a loving wives story. Seems like non erotic would be more appropriate. There is some recall of erotic activity but not in an erotic way.

Negativity?

That's typical of some Loving Wives' readers whoever posts whatever sort of story there.

But I was probably wrong to put it in LW, but I think non-erotic doesn't fit either.

However, some of the comments, even if criticising me for putting it in LW, have been reasonable and considered responses.

Some people get quite upset when they perceive that a story is in the wrong category.

For example, I published a Romance story where in a twist one of the characters is dead all along, and I left it ambiguous as to whether she is a figment of the main male character's imagination or a genuine ghost.

Feedback was mainly positive, but one reader left a comment saying that ghosts belong on the supernatural/non human boards, s/he would go there if wanting to read such stories, and awarding me 1 star.

But if you post a story in Loving Wives that they think doesn't belong there, it will be attacked with amazing venom.

I'm curious about categories that trump other categories. I.e., what's the undocumented hierarchy here for story placement? For example, I find pure cheating wife stories in Erotic Couplings irritating even if they are erotically coupling in the plot; I think they belong in Loving Wives.

Specifically, if you had a story where nonhumans were integral but it had heavy elements of nonconsent, would you place it in NonHuman or NonConsent/Reluctance? If it matters, there's an explicit warning about the nonconsensual aspects in the story's introduction.

I think you were right to put it in Non Human with the warning but that's just me. I believe the nonhuman fans wont get too upset especially if you let them know there is nonconsent content. On the other hand I think non consent gets more reads.

Many of my stories have trans-category twists so they're hard to place. It's easiest just to write family-fucking and put-em in Incest to grab eyeballs. Maybe turning the siblings into banana slugs to mate wasn't the best idea. Most views, lowest score. Oy. But motherfucking is always popular.

Specifically, if you had a story where non-humans were integral but it had heavy elements of non-consent, would you place it in Non-Human or Non-Consent/Reluctance? If it matters, there's an explicit warning about the non-consensual aspects in the story's introduction.

I don't think it's anything to do with "trumping".
We write because we are interested/amused by the process, and learn something from it and others.

Back