Marijuana Majority: Americans Now Back Legalization

Great article, JackLuis.

The times, they are a changin', yes, indeed, they are. The cover of this month's National Geographic says it all, "Weed: The New Science of Marijuana". Hooray!
 
A survey released Wednesday from Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling shows that 56 percent of voters in Washington state approve of their state's recreational marijuana laws, while 37 percent are opposed. The opposition is lower than that in the 2012 vote to approve legalization, in which 56 percent supported the measure, and 44 percent disapproved.

Moreover, a majority of Washington voters -- 77 percent -- say the marijuana laws have either had a positive effect or no effect on their lives, according to the poll.

A Qunnipiac poll last month tells a similar story in Colorado. Sixty-two percent of Colorado voters support reformed marijuana laws, the poll shows. That's an increase of 7 percentage points over the margin of support when voters approved Colorado's legalization in 2012.

"These were forward-thinking laws, so it’s not surprising to see support has grown stronger since they passed," said Mason Tvert, communications director for Marijuana Policy Project and key backer of Colorado's marijuana ballot measure. "The laws are generally doing what people wanted them to do, and not really doing what people worried they would do."

Colorado became the first U.S. state to legalize recreational marijuana in 2012, quickly followed by Washington. The first retail shops opened in 2014. By the end of last year, voters in Oregon, Alaska and Washington, D.C., approved recreational marijuana legalization measures. By 2016, as many as 10 additional states are likely to consider reforming marijuana laws.
 
Mr. Bates, thank you for adding such an informative post. It brings to mind a subject close to my heart. Why in the world is law enforcement in Northern California coming down so hard on sungrown marijuana, just ahead of a vote to allow recreational use? It seems so counter-productive. If I can just survive the next year and a half... until the voters in all of California let the people in the North know what time it really is. Time to lighten up and light up. I swear this is the craziest thing yet.
 
Mr. Bates, thank you for adding such an informative post. It brings to mind a subject close to my heart. Why in the world is law enforcement in Northern California coming down so hard on sungrown marijuana, just ahead of a vote to allow recreational use? It seems so counter-productive. If I can just survive the next year and a half... until the voters in all of California let the people in the North know what time it really is. Time to lighten up and light up. I swear this is the craziest thing yet.

In the mean time and instead of the black market in Washington, I would suggest any of the cannabis type Farmer's Markets throughout the greater Puget Sound area for outstanding prices and excellent overall quality of all things cannabis. There's one in Olympia, South Tacoma, Gorst near Bremerton has a popular one and there's a good one just out of Enumclaw on the way to Flaming Geyser too. What a vibe here!! It's BUSY!! If you haven't been to one of these...unique events, do yourself

Just Google them. And prepare to be amazed... Good luck!!
 
...Why in the world is law enforcement in Northern California coming down so hard on sungrown marijuana, ...

First thought:

You can't tax what you can't find and a greenhouse is far less relocatable than a patch of sungrown marijuana.
 
Now that Jamaica has legalized recreational use, the Cannabis Cup is being held in Negril and yours truly will be attending in November. I'm going to spend 3 days in a total haze and float back home, lol. I do know there is talk of commercial trade between Canada and Ja. for medial grade importation. My ex wife said I was completely insane because I said back in the early 90's that marijuana was going to save the world. So far, everything I said would happen, has happened and more.

When people see how beneficial it is for normal people to use, they'll be dropping in after work for a quick vape or two before heading home.
 
Apparently, the CA initiative to legalize MJ is having a hard time gathering signatures. Is there a way I can add mine?

I think it will pass this time because those predicting terrible things in WA and CO are being proven wrong.
 
Thanks for the tip, Mr. Bates. I am so busy with my garden this year, I am not sure I will make it up north at all, but it sounds wonderful.

Harold, illegal grows don't work so well anymore with the helicopters that fly overhead in search of those patches. Greenhouse pot is fine, but I still prefer to grow mine organically in the sun. It produces the best stuff, as far as I am concerned.

Royce, you lucky dog! Please check in afterwards and give us all the details!

Boxlicker, I have no doubt that we will vote on whether to make pot recreational or not in Nov. of 2016. There is still plenty of time and we will all get a chance to vote on it, then. I just wish the State would give us some guidelines that work and are fair to all. Santa Cruz patients can still grow 99 plants per person in the sun, while Shasta County says 12 plants per residence and no sun allowed. It simply is not fair!
 
JackLuis, I did see that map before, it's pretty interesting. Honestly, the price of pot up here is less than that at harvest time. 150 an ounce is not unheard of. I remember when it was 400 a z, but that is no longer feasible in an area flooded with it.
 
AC:
I have been off the market for some time now, so these prices are shocking to me.

I found this story that sounds as if we may have made some headway.

Even anti-marijuana groups think blocking pot research is a dumb idea

A group opposed to pot legalization is unveiling proposals on Thursday for the U.S. government to ease restrictions on scientific research into marijuana’s potential as medicine, in a first step for an organization of its kind.

The plan from Smart Approaches to Marijuana, which is co-founded by former U.S. Congressman Patrick Kennedy, comes after three U.S. Senators this year introduced a bill that would require the federal government to recognize pot’s medical value and allow states to set their own medical cannabis policies.
 
Sadly, my plans for Cannabis Cup are off. I was hit by a car on my motorcycle and now my knee is screwed up even more. Unbelievably lucky accident for the most part, other than my knee implant getting squashed between her car and my bike.

Avg. price up here in the Toronto area is $200 - $240, w/ some medical growers charging $12-$!4 per gm. straight up, no matter how much you buy. That makes an oz. of high grade $400 And they wonder why patients still by black market herb instead of the licenced growers stuff? Would be nice if it was covered by insurance.

I'll be another first in my case, in that I want a licenced grower to come and tend to my plants while I'm unable and have it covered by insurance. I have a licence and all legal, so they'll have to deal with it or face a discrimination suit from me. I love pushing it in their faces to deal with and get them to accept it.
 
JackLuis, I do remember when a lid of seedy mex was only 10 bucks, so I know what you mean. Does anyone remember superpot which still had seeds, but was much better weed, and sold for 25 bucks, so expensive at that time? Thanks for the information that some of our Senators have a clue.

Royce, sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are okay. What a bummer you don't get to go to the Cup. I like your idea about garden tending. I hope it all works out for you.
 
JackLuis, I do remember when a lid of seedy mex was only 10 bucks, so I know what you mean. Does anyone remember superpot which still had seeds, but was much better weed, and sold for 25 bucks, so expensive at that time? Thanks for the information that some of our Senators have a clue.

Royce, sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are okay. What a bummer you don't get to go to the Cup. I like your idea about garden tending. I hope it all works out for you.

I actually went looking for those seeds because I want to grow a plant off my deck, just for kicks. Nope, nada, these buds are stripped clean and groomed nicely. Not a seed in sight.
 
The only time I end up with any seeds is when I have done something wrong with the light. I found seed stock to be the same price as clones. Since clones are already rooted and usually thriving, I prefer them over seeds.
 
IRS awards tax exempt status to the First Church of Cannabis

The Internal Revenue Service has awarded nonprofit tax-exempt status to a religious organization in Indianapolis known as the First Church of Cannabis.

The founder of the church, Bill Levin, told The Washington Times that the IRS notified him last week of his organization’s newly approved 501(c)(3) status, which will allow individual federal tax write-offs for people who make charitable donations to the church.

Members of the First Church of Cannabis believe that smoking marijuana is a religious observance. In Indiana, the use of marijuana is still illegal, whether for recreational or medical purposes.

Time to get Religion folks!:D
 
JackLuis, that is so strange, it is hard to believe it is true. Thanks for posting it!
 
If you think that was strange...

CatCon 2015: Here are 8 things we learned at the first-ever ComicCon for feline lovers

Thousands of cat lovers from all over the world came together on Saturday for the first-ever CatCon event in downtown Los Angeles. For tickets that cost between $25 and $150, attendees scoped the latest in cat gear, and met celebrity felines like Lil’ Bub. We spent the day with the weird and wonderful patrons and vendors of CatCon. Here’s what we learned.
-
Catnip now unashamedly marketing itself as weed for cats

The strong scented Nepeta cataria (catnip) that sends most cat into a frenzy, is going gourmet. Denver’s Purrvana had seven varieties of “nip”, all grown organically in Colorado, which came in tins that were slightly larger than a hockey puck as well as in joints. Owner Corinna Santini, said “it’s five times the strength of what you get at Petco”. In the good-work-if-you-can-get-it department, she has one cat, Lenny, who tests the product. “He’s f%#ked up all the time,” she said.

Oh Colorado, Rocky Kittens HIGH Too.:D
 
JackLuis, good to know my cats can have some fun, too! Thanks for adding such a funny post to this rather serious thread.
 
Here’s the proposed itinerary for Colorado’s first marijuana summer camp

Attention Campers: On July 1, a new kind of camp will open in Colorado. It’s called CannaCamp, and it’s not for kids. It’s the latest hospitality venture from a company called Bud+Breakfast, which has already opened two Mary Jane-friendly motels in the state.

Although marijuana has been legal in Colorado since 2012, public consumption is not, so most hotels and camping grounds won’t allow it on premises. CannaCamp is BYOW: Weed isn’t sold there. Nor are guests allowed to smoke in their cabins. But if you’re having trouble finding reefer or figuring out what to do with it, you can turn to the “cannabis concierge,” who’ll provide a recommended strain menu (available at Colorado’s recreational marijuana dispensaries) and “suggested pairings” for specific meals or activities.

Read the artical, it is hilarious.:D
 
Delaware is 18th state to allow possession of recreational marijuana

Delaware governor Jack Markell has signed into law a bill decriminalising possession and private use of small amounts of marijuana. The move follows the lead of nearly 20 states that have eased penalties for personal consumption, state media reported on Thursday.

Individuals in Delware will be allowed to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, and to use it privately without facing criminal sanctions. Police could still confiscate the drug, according to Delaware Online, the News Journal.

The statute also will reduce the penalty for using marijuana in a public place to a $100 civil fine. Under previous Delaware law, simple marijuana possession was a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a maximum fine of $1,150.

The law will take effect in six months’ time. Markell, a Democrat, signed the measure almost immediately after the state senate, voting along party lines, gave it final legislative approval.

Hooray, 18 down, 31 to go.:D
 
Jack Luis, that is good news.

I read an article this morning by The Motley Fool called "In Case You Missed It, Congress Just Passed an Important Marijuana Provision", in which the Feds are going to leave medicinal marijuana patients and their dispensaries alone, providing the state laws support it. I hope someone tells the Shasta County Council to stop law enforcement from harassing patients. Ah, in a perfect world, I could grow my pot in peace.
 
Back
Top