As The Hospital Pervs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game is played with two RNs, a combative person, and a bunch of ancillary staff standing around watching us 'nearly' get beat up.

The winner is the nurse that ties her sides down quickest.

Restraints is a fun game, I've heard. I know of a psych tech who got jabbed with a syringe full of Haldol by the nurse when the main contestant yanked away at the critical moment. As the story goes, everybody froze bug eyed for a few seconds before action resumed.

I will now practice restraint.

Quite the fan. So few truly know how to use this place. You'd be a fright in person. I absolutely adore frights; the genuine ones. I could see a thousand promises spread like seed to a carpet. What a waste! What promise! The resident, of course would be too distracted - looking towards the closest parabolic mirror - not only to cower from administrative adversities - but to spy the distorted image of themselves. They'd miss the moment entirely. Seed to carpet. Such a shame!

There are Residents roaming the halls with eyes big and busy. There is a nurse floating in the wards with a shirt so white it seems impossible to maintain, but it is maintained sometimes by dodging sputum. There are words bouncing off the walls, whistling in the pneumatic tubes, and rustling in red waste bags: if you listen you can hear it all.

"cardiac demand ischemia" "fluid volume overload" "can you believe he did that to me? we are breaking up for good" "Any drug allergies?" "MAP parameters" "strict glucose control" "saline wide open" "when was the last time you had a bowel movement?" "I've brought you the best stick" "found on floor" "ICU calling" "ask the nurse" "where's housekeeping?" "the bullet is down" "geodon" "triple lumen CVC in the right internal jugular" "who's team lead?" "blood cultures times two" "pitting edema" "past medical history of" "gag cough swallow intact" "have you ever been shot with a bullet? ever hit in the face with a piece of metal? welder? this is MRI screening" "pacing" "type/screen/crossmatch" "no rub, click, or gallop" "maxed out on pressors" "attending" "call central" "what are you doing this weekend?" "stat blood gas" "how are you?" " comfort measures only" "where's the nurse?" "one to one for safety" "up the morphine" "do you consent?" "we can't be sure" "do you have any beds?" "slipped on ice" "she loves him" "garbled speech" "no insurance, no placement, no caregiver at home" "#18 in the left AC" "work up sepsis" "left MCA CVA" "right sided weakness" "gi bleed" "trauma alert to the helipad, trauma alert to the helipad" "anesthesia stat to the ER" "posturing"

Waste no seeds, and dirty no carpet-- my shirt is white for you. One promise is hard to keep, thousands are possibly broken if the mistake is made of making them. We all know this. It always hurts-- but morphine like fright exists in many forms. I wasn't born with seeds to bottle, or spill. I stare at his seed on the carpet, when he misses my wide open mouth from a distance.

There are Residents roaming the halls with eyes big and busy. There is a nurse floating in the wards with a shirt so white it seems impossible to maintain, but it is maintained sometimes by dodging sputum. There are words bouncing off the walls, whistling in the pneumatic tubes, and rustling in red waste bags: if you listen you can hear it all.

"cardiac demand ischemia" "fluid volume overload" "can you believe he did that to me? we are breaking up for good" "Any drug allergies?" "MAP parameters" "strict glucose control" "saline wide open" "when was the last time you had a bowel movement?" "I've brought you the best stick" "found on floor" "ICU calling" "ask the nurse" "where's housekeeping?" "the bullet is down" "geodon" "triple lumen CVC in the right internal jugular" "who's team lead?" "blood cultures times two" "pitting edema" "past medical history of" "gag cough swallow intact" "have you ever been shot with a bullet? ever hit in the face with a piece of metal? welder? this is MRI screening" "pacing" "type/screen/crossmatch" "no rub, click, or gallop" "maxed out on pressors" "attending" "call central" "what are you doing this weekend?" "stat blood gas" "how are you?" " comfort measures only" "where's the nurse?" "one to one for safety" "up the morphine" "do you consent?" "we can't be sure" "do you have any beds?" "slipped on ice" "she loves him" "garbled speech" "no insurance, no placement, no caregiver at home" "#18 in the left AC" "work up sepsis" "left MCA CVA" "right sided weakness" "gi bleed" "trauma alert to the helipad, trauma alert to the helipad" "anesthesia stat to the ER" "posturing"

Waste no seeds, and dirty no carpet-- my shirt is white for you. One promise is hard to keep, thousands are possibly broken if the mistake is made of making them. We all know this. It always hurts-- but morphine like fright exists in many forms. I wasn't born with seeds to bottle, or spill. I stare at his seed on the carpet, when he misses my wide open mouth from a distance.

This is so pretty and pointed and hypodermically jabbing, that... such sweet pain! To let it wash pink-fast like morphine... there is purpose to pain. The white shirt's white is the tonic, you know. It's the promise upon which seed is most often offered. It's the hope, you see. Such power, the white. And to keep it clean.

Thank you. :eek: I do try to keep my posts every other page or so, unless I'm on a roll. I don't want to in any way detract from the brilliance of STF.
'need more call bell' Just push the button- the red button that says nurse- and I will be here quickly. I am available to assist- just push the button.

Restraints is a fun game, I've heard. I know of a psych tech who got jabbed with a syringe full of Haldol by the nurse when the main contestant yanked away at the critical moment. As the story goes, everybody froze bug eyed for a few seconds before action resumed.

I will now practice restraint.
Ouch! I can see the moment of stillness, before the riot resumes. The good thing is the Haldol wasn't injected (hopefully), the better news is the needle was still clean. Risks!

You will practice restraint-s? I always wanted to be the sims dummy doll in the nurse lab. :eek:

I'm glad you dropped in. I was afraid that we would have to start a search thread for you , too.

Restraints? That does not sound like your usual practices....
We can snow the person to slush, after we get the straps on. It's not usual practice, but it is done in the usual fashion, for the usual reasons. It's all about safety. It's true I am not fond of this intervention, but sometimes it is necessary.

'need more call bell' Just push the button- the red button that says nurse- and I will be here quickly. I am available to assist- just push the button.

I :heart: you.

Ouch! I can see the moment of stillness, before the riot resumes. The good thing is the Haldol wasn't injected (hopefully), the better news is the needle was still clean. Risks!

The injection was part of the after-fun...with Sharpies.

You will practice restraint-s? I always wanted to be the sims dummy doll in the nurse lab. :eek:

It is growing warm in here.

Nice memory. I prefer The Dubliners version of the song. I used to have a couple of their LP's, um, three divorces ago. Haven't found copies of them. They were banned in the U.S., as they had some IRA songs on them. Good stuff, though.

My son (32) asked me to go with him as Designated Driver when he & his girl went to a bar with an Irish band playing. He was quite amazed that I knew all the songs, though not, of course, the arrangements. I tried to get the band to do The Old Alarm Clock, but they didn't know it.

Wish I could find those albums on CD or something. *(SIGH)* Found out I didn't have them (or a wife) any more after May of '75. Headlines would probably tell you where I was. Not such a great homecoming.

I do miss the music, though. 8)

Have you heard Flogging Molly's "Worst Day Since Yesterday"? Seems to be my anthem lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ZBC8ml11k

This is so pretty and pointed and hypodermically jabbing, that... such sweet pain! To let it wash pink-fast like morphine... there is purpose to pain. The white shirt's white is the tonic, you know. It's the promise upon which seed is most often offered. It's the hope, you see. Such power, the white. And to keep it clean.
Pink is my favorite color. I am also fond of the many shades of green with blue mixed in. Oral liquid morphine is a saturated blue color. It's so pretty, but hardly ever administered-- we go straight for the vein, and it is clear.

We are white tops, and the public demands this. It makes sense. It is trust, and it is power, and it is used effectively.

It is the hope, it is a promise. The white bridal dress can never be mine, I ripped up that dress before I even knew it existed. I don't have that power. I be the stark white top with shoes to match, and my laces are clean. I own this power well.

Pain has it's purpose, it tells us that something is wrong. Sometimes, sweet relief is the purpose.

I :heart: you.
The injection was part of the after-fun...with Sharpies.
It is growing warm in here.
Love me love me. :heart:
I am sharp with my Sharpie marker. I can't work a shift right without my black Sharpie. I inject my name onto labels with my Sharpie. I date/initial all IVs, tubings, and dressings with my Sharpie. On hard sticks I write my name on the dressing with a smilie :) with my Sharpie. The unit clerk knows I need my Sharpie. If I can't find my Sharpie, she will find one for me. Me and my Sharpie, we have a relationship.

Is it warm? You need a fresh clean top sheet, and a flip of the pillow so you can feel the cool spot. And then there is me- with the back care, and you in the lateral semi-prone position.

All that windmilling and flailing. Any of the staff sporting bruised noses or black eyes?
I have never worked psych, but in neurology I have seen more violence compared to any other sector of care, in my experience. It is the nature of the pathology.
When I first started this journey into brain care that includes the most common diagnosis of: stroke (bleeding and infarct type), traumatic brain injury, and tumors-- many with surgical interventions-- I found myself shocked by the numbers regarding restraint usage. It often depends on the area of the brain injury and knowing this can guide care, and prepare for the expected impulsive behavior.

I am the data collector for restraint performance improvement that monitors: need, documentation, care of the restrained person.

Caring for this population the need is clear, the number one rationale is safety. Safety for the patient. Our #1 job as nurse is to keep the patient safe.

Yes. Last year a nurse got kicked in the face and ended up with a broken nose, another nurse last year turned around at the wrong moment and got kicked in the center of her back. There is no real nurse anger associated with these scenarios. These are not normal people acting out violence, they are the injured ones. It is just a matter of fact situation.

We don't get angry- we just do our job. If a person is pulling out central lines, interrupting medical treatment, and the person has no cognitive ability to refuse treatment-- medical restraints go on. If a person is violent, causing harm to self or others--behavior restraints go on.

Nice memory. I prefer The Dubliners version of the song. I used to have a couple of their LP's, um, three divorces ago. Haven't found copies of them. They were banned in the U.S., as they had some IRA songs on them. Good stuff, though.

My son (32) asked me to go with him as Designated Driver when he & his girl went to a bar with an Irish band playing. He was quite amazed that I knew all the songs, though not, of course, the arrangements. I tried to get the band to do The Old Alarm Clock, but they didn't know it.

Wish I could find those albums on CD or something. *(SIGH)* Found out I didn't have them (or a wife) any more after May of '75. Headlines would probably tell you where I was. Not such a great homecoming.

I do miss the music, though. 8)

Have you heard Flogging Molly's "Worst Day Since Yesterday"? Seems to be my anthem lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ZBC8ml11k
That's strange about the banning, I suppose that is just the times because the bar I grew up in always had a poster on the wall that says: IRA call the shots. I know all the songs but I don't seek them out for listening at home, I suppose that is because I grew up hearing the stuff. I like this music best when it is live with a bit of kick as opposed to the Wolfe-Tone-ish sound. I have my favorites:

Black Velvet Band
Who doesn't like The Wild Rover?
I'll Me Ma
Broad Black Brimmer!

It is the one neat thing about the music, it can bridge the generation gap and that is kind of cool. I always knew my Father knew these songs because he plays them himself in a kind of celtic-rock-kinda band. It's fun to see the older generations at the bar tapping fast time to the oldies-turned-punkish when performed live. It pleases everyone.

That is a sad May of 75. I am sorry, not for the albums but everything else. Before I was a nurse, I nursed my first real patient on the streets in a big city. His name was Daniel Greene, and he was a busted up, alcoholic, homeless veteran. I can't forget him. I often wonder if he is dead. At that time I didn't have the knowledge or capacity to assist with resources. All I could do is take him into my apartment every once and a while and shower his pissed ass, waste my breath with a lecture, wash his clothes, and give him some money. His body was mangled and he looked deformed in many places. Most likely from falls, and broken bones that never were treated. We didn't talk about much. He was too ill to make any sense anyway.

I will listen to your anthem now. :)

The Respiratory Therapist​

I was pulling morning medications, and he was waiting to most likely pull out some albuterol.

I felt a presence behind me and his finger touched my back--
I froze stiff like the rigor, and I liked it.

The MedStation 3000

I quickly went back to the little cubies popping up like small boners at my light touch on the screen. This is yoga in the medication room and I stretch a little lower to the bottom drawer.
It’s a soothing routine. It’s the only time period the nurse gets to wear the: Do Not Disturb sign on the back. The Respiratory Therapist couldn’t resist.

The Respiratory Therapist

It all started with heart failure.

He said: There are rales.
I said: Half the way up.
He said: She is labored.
I said: Look at that neck vein.

A shift and a half later and the patient looked great!

I said: You fixed him.
He said: You diuresed him.
I said: There are rales.
He said: 1/3 the way up.
I said: It’s all about the fluid shift.

The MedStation 3000​
Every drawer has an orgasm. The little pills are desperate to escape. I stare at the drawer and wonder which cubie’s turn it is. After a while my eyes know who is next. I stare at the cubie that I know will pop, and then it does. The over-used cubies take longer to pop like over-jerked cocks. Those I have to tap-tap to pop.

"It is standard knowledge that the Cerner electronic health records system in place at Webb contains a box that states, “Nurse Ordered.” Why would this box exist if nurses were never allowed to “order” anything? The Complainant contends that Ms. Trujillo overstepped her scope of practice by ordering the consult; however, it is standard practice of the hospital to allow nurses the freedom to do the exact thing alleged in the Complaint."

"Ms. Trujillo was allowed to order case management consults on numerous occasions prior to this and was never told by the hospital that this practice was not allowed or outside the scope of her practice. It is apparent that the hospital is simply trying to appease and placate an angry physician by filing this Complaint against Ms. Trujillo."

push comes to shove.... who gets shoved out?

The Boston nurses have had yearly walkouts and work stoppages (safety first, all patients got looked after.)
Always the same complaint- too many patients for each nurse.

Since the bean counters took over the authority from the doctors, there have been no protest lines of nurses on the sidewalks.

PS- Nightmare- Martial arts champion with a traumatic brain injury.

"It is standard knowledge that the Cerner electronic health records system in place at Webb contains a box that states, “Nurse Ordered.” Why would this box exist if nurses were never allowed to “order” anything? The Complainant contends that Ms. Trujillo overstepped her scope of practice by ordering the consult; however, it is standard practice of the hospital to allow nurses the freedom to do the exact thing alleged in the Complaint."

"Ms. Trujillo was allowed to order case management consults on numerous occasions prior to this and was never told by the hospital that this practice was not allowed or outside the scope of her practice. It is apparent that the hospital is simply trying to appease and placate an angry physician by filing this Complaint against Ms. Trujillo."

push comes to shove.... who gets shoved out?

The Boston nurses have had yearly walkouts and work stoppages (safety first, all patients got looked after.)
Always the same complaint- too many patients for each nurse.

Since the bean counters took over the authority from the doctors, there have been no protest lines of nurses on the sidewalks.

PS- Nightmare- Martial arts champion with a traumatic brain injury.
Ethics: I am following the story: Trujillo's account of the problem/situation, her intervention, and the awful outcome. It's a case of admin serving the surgeon, at the expense of the nurse [and all patients by extension of advocacy]. She did her job, and lost it. It was an ethical dilemma from the start. If she loses her license there will be an outrage.

Safety: What is the solution? Mandated safe nurse : patient ratios measured not only by numbers, but to include acuity. Now that is a goal that makes my heart beat happy. And flexibility of course: no nurse would walk out of a disaster zone because of a ratio imbalance, and yet that is the main argument against mandated ratios.

PS- Yes, I can imagine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back