Tell me why the weather has become so destructive!

Fort McMurray fire: most of Canadian city evacuated as blaze engulfs homes ...



Unseasonably hot temperatures combined with dry conditions have transformed the boreal forest in much of Alberta into a tinder box. The wildfire threat is ranging from very high to extreme.

This is not your grandmother's firestorm.
These are not your grandmother's tornadoes.

Ken Burns: Dust Bowl the Greatest Man-Made Eco Disaster in U.S. History


http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...t-man-made-eco-disaster-in-us-history/265249/


Millions of acres of crops were obliterated, thousands of residents were killed and countless budding farmers were chased from their way of life.


https://weather.com/news/news/burns-dustbowl-documentary-20121113


http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/dustbowl/


Thank you for posting this, 'snow'. Those of us reading this will likely not suffer the consequences of our abuse of this planet, but our grandchildren/great-grandchildren almost certainly will. The capacity on the part of the "deniers" to deny reality is indeed impressive. Unfortunately, later generations of humanity will pay the price of our folly.
 
This month, my local Boston TV news channels remains impressed with the tornado activity, out in the Mid West.

Extreme tornado warning ?
New to my eyes, is the term "extreme tornado."

We have gone from severe storms, to dangerous storms, and have arrived at extreme storms and deadly storms.

A tornado, of such an immense size and power, had not been seen for thirty years.Another tornado remained for 90 minutes. (I had heard that one had remained for an hour.)

Severe lightning strikes killed people in Germany and France.
This was followed by extreme flooding in Germany.

2013 floods in Germany were claimed to be The Flood of the Century.

2016 floods target areas close to Bavaria border


European date May 29, 2016

Three people have been killed as violent weather struck the southwestern German state of Baden-Württemberg. Heavy rain caused an underground car park to collapse

Numerous vehicles were reportedly underwater and emergency services had to rescue stranded motorists from their vehicles.

Authorities also reported rising flood waters trapping people in houses and businesses with roads closed in the chaos. A state government spokesman told the DPA news agency early Monday that reliable casualty figures weren't available.


http://www.dw.com/en/heavy-rains-cause-deadly-flooding-in-southern-germany/a-19292399

Mojib Latif,
meteorologist and oceanographer

Analysis of German weather trends - data which is available going back to 1871 - indicates an increase in severe rainfall events, said climate expert Latif.
"If we look back over the past few decades, heavy rainfall seems to be occurring twice as often as was the case 100 years ago," he said.

The term "flood of the century," used in Germany to describe the last bout of dramatic flooding in the country in 2002, is no longer appropriate, Latif added.

"In the 1990s we had 'once-in-a-century' floods. Then we had them again in 2002, and now in 2013 we are seeing the same again," he said. "What used to happen once in a century could well become an event that recurs every decade or so."


http://www.dw.com/en/floods-in-germany-a-sign-of-climate-change/a-16860917

A lull is not confirmation of null

November 22, 2009


RAZ: Just to clarify, you are not a climate change skeptic.

Dr. LATIF: If my name was not Mojib Latif, my name would be global warming. So I really believe in Global Warming. Okay. However, you know, we have to accept that there are these natural fluctuations, and therefore, the temperature may not show additional warming temporarily.

RAZ: That is Mojib Latif, also known as Global Warming. He's a professor for climate physics at the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences at Kiel University. He spoke with me from Hamburg, Germany.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120668812

What is expected...


http://m.france24.com/en/20151203-cop21-paris-storms-climate-hurricanes
 
Houston has been given hope that the rain will stop, on Sunday.
As it stands, they will get a few more inches and there are flash flood warnings.
As of June 3, areas of Texas had been flooded for a week. The rain has not stopped.

Southeast of Houston has been told to expect flooding.
Evacuation is the word of the month.

"This weekend, more downpours are coming to Texas, where flood levels not seen in over 100 years have left at least 16 people dead since Memorial Day weekend, nine of whom were US Army soldiers posted at Fort Hood."


"Governor Greg Abbot has announced a state of disaster for 31 Texas counties."


U to 17 inches of heavy rain is forecasted to hit Houston and eastern Texas this weekend, which will follow the 19 inches the area received the holiday weekend before.


https://www.rt.com/usa/345376-killed-texas-flooding-rain/

Meanwhile, the Louvre and the Orsay museums have been closed, due to flooding.
The floods in Germany have caused 15 deaths in Europe.
More rain is expected and more damage.
Not a good time for the workers to go on strike.
I had not thought to include political conflicts in the troubles of climate change.
But it is the case.
Francois Hollander was forced to get into a conflict with the head of the railways, and offer the workers what they wanted.
Now is not the time for Labor reform.
Natural disaster has been declared.
 
In a statement Thursday, Gov. Bruce Rauner said, “Given the reports of tornado touchdowns across north-central Illinois last night, we are fortunate things are not worse and are thankful there were no fatalities."


http://www.pantagraph.com/news/loca...cle_d54bb8b1-1ef2-553b-9c5f-d8232e558c70.html

A tornado near Pontaic has been rated as EF-2 with estimated peak winds of up to 125 mph, which the weather service lists as "significant."

In addition to Seneca, which is about 75 miles soutwest of Chicago, damage was also reported near the towns of Marseilles and Pontiac.

A Serena man said he drove through the area and saw damage in the areas of Serena, Earlville and Troy.


http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...nderstorms-tornado-threat-20160622-story.html

Shortly before 10:30 p.m. CDT, a large tornado moved into the town of Pontiac, Illinois. The tornado, which the National Weather Service has preliminarily rated an EF2, was left an 11-mile damage path.

As many as 18 reports of tornadoes came in Wednesday night.
NWS survey crews headed out Thursday morning to conduct damage surveys along 3 separate supercell paths.


https://www.wunderground.com/news/severe-weather-outbreak-midwest-latest-news
 
The Earth is getting ready to purge itself of the cockroach like human infestation?
 
West Virginia’s worst flooding in a century kills at least 20 people

At least 20 people in West Virginia have died in the U.S. state’s worst flooding in more than a century, and hundreds more have been rescued from swamped homes, government officials said on Friday.

The mountainous state was pummeled by up to 10 inches of rain on Thursday, causing rivers and streams to overflow.

“The damage is widespread and devastating,” Governor Earl Ray Tomblin said at a news conference. “Our biggest challenge continues to be high waters.”

A spokeswoman for the state Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management said the state medical examiner had put the death toll at 20. The hardest-hit area was Greenbrier County in the southwestern part of the state, with 15 deaths, she said.

Multiple rivers have risen to dangerous heights, including the Elk River, which reached 32 feet, the highest since 1888, Tomblin said.

West Virginia received one-quarter of its annual rainfall in a single day, National Weather Service meteorologist Frank Pereira said. Rains eased on Friday with only scattered showers expected.

The storms that drenched West Virginia were part of a severe weather system that has swept through the U.S. Midwest, triggering tornadoes.
 
Stom blows through. This should be an interesting sunset.
Wind whipped through the woods.
"That cell, those cells."
Last night the weather person said there might be a downburst.
Today, Gloucester, Marblehead and Newburyport experienced modern Nantucket style extreme lightning strikes. Trees were lost, flooding.

Buying a cup of coffee, is old-fashioned.
Getting a normal rainstorm, is old fashioned.
I miss the old gentle summer showers, that lasted most of the day.

June 29, 2016

Year Without A Summer' to Mark 200th Anniversary in 2016

Setup For Northeast Summer Cold and Hardship

According to weather records, a powerful cold front swept through New England on May 2. The temperature plunged to below freezing that night across much of interior New England. Snow on June 4th. Much of southern New England and upstate New York had trace amounts, but higher elevations in interior sections of New England picked up 6 inches of snow. Snow showers were reported on June 7 in Boston – their latest report of snow on record.

It was particularly cold from the July 4th to the 8th, and on the 4th, cold reached all the way down to the South. All hopes were dashed by the August 20th, however, when another cold front swept through, followed by a killing frost. Temperatures remained chilly for the rest of the month and the following fall and winter seasons were particularly cold.


https://www.wunderground.com/news/cold-summer-northeast-hardship-starvation-freeze


Want a little volcano activity, scarecrow? Or, perhaps, some heavy duty pollution ?
 
Any unusual weather events, lately ?

Heavy rain pelts Auckland region, flooding homes and roads and trapping cars in flood waters video

Niwa said the downpour, in which 25.4 mm of rain fell between 1pm and 2pm, was the wettest June hour in recorded history in Auckland.


Across the region, there had been up to 20 mm of rain in six hours, a spokesman for MetService said

Floods
Flooded vehicles
Flooded roads

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/81580261/heavy-rain-pelts-auckland-region-flooding-homes-and-roads
 
West Virginia (a rural U.S State west of Virginia and formerly part of Virginia) is flooded. It claims to be a 1,000-year flood. Wonder who was around 1,000 years ago to record the last flood of this magnitude.
 
West Virginia (a rural U.S State west of Virginia and formerly part of Virginia) is flooded. It claims to be a 1,000-year flood. Wonder who was around 1,000 years ago to record the last flood of this magnitude.

They can examine the soil structure (visually and with carbon dating) to detect flood detritus.
 
The weather is destructive because China no longer has an Emperor to intercede with Heaven.

That's the real cause of global warming, too.
 
Massive lightning strikes for parts of New England. The local weatherman voiced how impressed he was. (He seems surprised. He shouldn't be. It is the new normal.)

Not a fun drive for those taking a trip to Cape Cod, or a junket for anyone flying there.

Small craft advisory

"Frequent lightning is occurring with these storms. If caught on the open water stay below deck if possible... keep away from ungrounded metal objects."

Rough night.

(3 victims of Southern lightning strikes, this week.)
 
nope. That was my clumbsy fingers

Thursday was a historic day in weather history, as the temperature in Mitribah, Kuwait, soared to an eye-popping 129.2 degrees Fahrenheit (54 degrees Celsius).


Death Valley, USA 118f

Death Valley, California, (at Furnace Creek Ranch) holds the current high temperature for the world, with a whopping 134.1 degrees Fahrenheit (56.7 degrees Celsius).


The California desert is much cooler, at 114f


This is not a Pleasure Dome


A massive dome of high pressure in the upper atmosphere is gripping a significant portion of the nation, providing favorable conditions for dangerously hot temperatures through this weekend.

far this summer, there have been a couple of high-pressure ridges aloft (bulges in the jet stream) that have prevailed across the U.S. One ridge was positioned around the Western U.S., and the other was in the Southeast. The Western ridge has occasionally expanded a bit to the north and east, while the Southeast ridge has expanded north and west, but only for short periods of time.

A bridging of these ridges occured late this week, resulting in one massive dome of high pressure. Beneath this dome, air sinks and warms, resulting in hot temperatures.


https://www.wunderground.com/news/summer-heat-expanding-widespread-dangerous
 
Last edited:
"Three months of rain, in an hour."

"It took 10 minutes of rain to become a dangerous flood."

Two feet of rain, piles up and spreads.


(I was talking with someone about the mismanagement of Katrina, today.)

http://www.nola.com

Cooler air from the North hits the Heat Wave from NYC.
Who was on the dartboard for deadly weather ?
The Yankees did not have a chance to suck.

The team was saved, by a good management decision.

The weather is killing people.


http://abc7ny.com/news/at-least-5-injured-in-lightning-strike-in-poughkeepsie-new-york/1467636/

No, this is worse than when I was a child.

Even, then, no fishing if it was a real storm.

What happened to the fine, gentle rain, that lasted all day ?
The fish seemed to like that.

:(
 
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/08/11/willmar-torrential-rains-flood-roads-basements

The city engineer in Willmar, Minn., is calling it close to a 1,000-year rain event — as much as 13 inches fell overnight in central and southern Minnesota.

Engineer Sean Christensen said the storm flooded streets and basements in Willmar.

"You can't talk to anybody that's ever seen this much rain before," he said.

The runoff from the storm was three times what the Willmar waste water treatment plant is designed to handle, he said.
 
I am feeling nostalgic.
25 years have passed since Hurricaine Bob.
25 years, since the No Name Storm made a wreck of some neighborhoods.

"Hurricaine Bob formed just east of the Bahamas on Aug. 16, 1991, StormTeam 5 meteorologist Harvey Leonard said. The storm moved along the coast and intensified along the way, but did not make landfall until it reached New England on Aug. 19. "

"Bob left extensive damage throughout New England in its wake, totaling approximately $1.5 billion. It stands as one of the costliest storms in New England history."


http://m.wcvb.com/news/25-years-aft...-15-billion-in-damage-to-new-england/41211484

Is that accurate ?

The No Name Storm that followed Hurricane Bob made a mess, that was worse than the hurricane.
 
The weather has become so destructive because it takes our minds off the destructive politicians. The end is near! The sky is falling!
 
Once, again, some town is hit with a storm that should only happen, once in a thousand years.

The world's forests are burning.
Some barely controllable.
Some fires set deliberately to clear land.
40 years, ago, traditional native tribes could subsist in their traditional homelands.
If the forests are not burning, they are being cut down.
The most isolated islands are not safe from exploitation.
The land is stripped of vegetation and trees.
The land structures that channel wind, moisture, and
movement of weather fronts, have been altered by mining.
What would you imagine would happen, when you remove a mountain?
The Chinese have been granted the economic power by greedy international corporations.
This money is used to exploit Africa.

40 years ago, we could count on undeveloped countries, for rainforests.
These systems regulated and stored water.

/end gsgs comment


It remains unknown, however, why Livingston Parish has endured two severe floods this year – the other in March – while six other severe floods have occurred in less than a year.

Some experts attribute it to climate change and say that the gradually warmer temperatures on land and sea have led to an accumulation of moisture, which triggers much larger flooding events.

“We have been on an upward trend in terms of heavy rainfall events over the past two decades, which is likely related to the amount of water vapor going up in the atmosphere,” Dr. Kenneth Kunkel, of the Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites, told The Guardian.

“There’s a very tight loop – as surface temperatures of the oceans warm up, the immediate response is more water vapor in the atmosphere. We’re in a system inherently capable of producing more floods.”

David Easterling – a director at the National Centers for Environmental Information, which is operated by the NOAA – told The New York Times that the flooding “is consistent with what we expect to see in the future if you look at climate models. Not just in the U.S. but in many other parts of the world as well.”


http://www.livingstonparishnews.com/opinion/
 
July 30, 2016


Sports divers discovered the damage Monday on the East Flower Garden Bank, about 110 miles southeast of Galveston, NOAA said in a report Friday.

"Twelve miles away, the reefs of the West Flower Garden Bank remain vibrant, bathed in clear blue water and free of the problems for now," Gittings wrote.

Fresh water a concern

Scientists also are concerned about large plumes of low-salinity coastal water that have moved offshore following months of heavy rainfall in the region and that could be sucking oxygen from the water. The coastal water is rich with plankton, nutrients and chemicals from the runoff, the report said. As the plankton dies, it falls to the bottom and is dined on by bacteria that drain oxygen from the water, causing a bacteria population explosion and a drop in oxygen levels.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/nei...-marine-sanctuary-in-Gulf-worries-8769470.php



Scientists Investigate Mysterious Coral Mortality Event at East Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary

August 9, 2016 Update

http://flowergarden.noaa.gov/newsevents/massmortalityresponsearticle.html


Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary which is located 180 kilometers off the coast of Texas.

Gulf of Mexico

April 10, 2014

Marine biologists from NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuary System rate the Flower Gardens living coral cover as 50 to 60 percent live coverage, which by today’s standards is phenomenal. Looking into it further, the main reason they are so healthy is the simple fact that they are so far offshore. They are located 110 miles from the Louisiana-Texas border.

The footage of anchor chains damaging coral heads that are thousands of years old was tangible evidence of how necessary it was for the Flower Garden Banks to become a National Marine Sanctuary. It encouraged scientists, the sport-diving community and lawmakers to work towards National Marine Sanctuary status.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2014/04/window_in_the_waves_documentin.html




July 25, sport divers on the M/V FLING, reported green, hazy water, huge patches of ugly white mats on corals and sponges, and dead animals littering the bottom at East Flower Garden Bank, buoy #4.

http://flowergarden.noaa.gov/newseve...searticle.html


August 9, 2016


Bleached Coral

Bleaching is caused by persistent increases in sea surface temperature. Just 1C of warming lasting a week or more can be enough to cause long-term breakdown of reef ecosystems.


Why do corals bleach?

Dead coral
Algae grows on dead coral making it impossible for new colonies to form. If there are enough fish on the reef they can clean the algae away and allow corals to return.

'Bleached' coral
If high water temperatures persist for a week or more the polyps reject their plant partners and the coral appears 'bleached'. If the heat persists for too long the coral will die


Healthy coral
Tiny plants called zooxanthellae feed animal polyps through photosythesis on the coral. Interactions between the two generate corals' brilliant colours


The combined effect of rising temperatures and sea levels – corals can only survive near the surface – could mean the end for coral reefs in the next 50 years even if world leaders combine to keep global temperature rise below their target of 2C, said Hoegh-Guldberg, who was lead oceans author for the UN’s definitive climate science report.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...worst-20-years

If the water gets too hot and the algae get a lot of sun, their rate of photosynthesis kicks into high gear and they produce lots of oxygen. This excess oxygen actually causes the corals to cast out their algae, even though the corals need the algae to survive.


Record Heat and drought in Boston

"...sixth-warmest summer the city has endured since recordkeeping began in 1872.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ever-boston/eysFNfpWDXYmxVII6bLroJ/story.html


Floods and drought involving Texas and Louisiana


One thing of which we are now aware is that a low salinity plume (less than 30 psu), which would normally stay very close to the coast, has moved unusually southward and onto the Flower Garden Banks site over the course of the past two weeks. Unconfirmed reports claim waters on the reef site were as low as 26 psu when the initial die-off was discovered.


Julian Sprung, through an interaction on social media, suggested that the white sheets were likely Beggiatoa alba, a common sulfur-oxidizing bacteria that can form such mats. Sprung independently suggested hypoxia may be the result.

https://reefs.com/2016/08/04/update-continuing-flower-garden-banks-mass-mortality/
 
Back
Top