How to carry your Colt 1911 semi-auto pistol

The last time I had a confrontation with a windshield a little bit of windex and a paper towel solved the whole situation. :D

IMO, unless you're a cop, you don't NEED to be shooting out anyone's windshield. If you got time to stand there, take aim, and fire as many shots as you can at a car coming at you, you got more than enough time to get the hell out of the way.

I like 9mm. It's fast, deadly, and just as capable as .40 or .45 in most situations. I don't know if I would say it's comparable to 10mm, but the other calibers aren't "better". Just different in capability.

I was kidding, guys. ;)

CLIPS hold things together. Paper CLIP. Hair CLIP. Binder CLIP. etc. MAGAZINES are a munitions repository. A place or device where munitions are stored or held.

It's not semantics.

Do not support the ignorance of the average person who knows nothing about guns. Use the right words. Teach those who are afraid that there's nothing to be afraid of. Knowledge trumps ignorance. Training and familiarity trump fear. The burden to do that is on gun owners. It starts with ALWAYS using the correct terminology and techniques.

Magazine.

Because +P in a short barrel still gives me enough energy for good penetration but not so much that it over penetrates. .....

If you carry, you have to think about what you're carrying and what you need it to do. That includes ammo. One size does NOT fit all.

Totally agree with your last statement--one size doesn't fit all. +P or +P+ doesn't work in all guns. And can be quite dangerous in some.

It's not semantics.

Magazine.

Word! :D

@ OP, dude leave the Colt/Remington Rand at home. Get a Glock or a Sig in 9mm and make sure you get the proper paperwork/permits for concealed carry if you choose to go that particular route.

Condition 1 – Also known as “cocked and locked”

This is how I have always carried my 1911, thumb safety + grip safety.....No worries.

CLIPS hold things together. Paper CLIP. Hair CLIP. Binder CLIP. etc. MAGAZINES are a munitions repository. A place or device where munitions are stored or held.

It's not semantics.

Do not support the ignorance of the average person who knows nothing about guns. Use the right words. Teach those who are afraid that there's nothing to be afraid of. Knowledge trumps ignorance. Training and familiarity trump fear. The burden to do that is on gun owners. It starts with ALWAYS using the correct terminology and techniques.

Magazine.

I agree. Words have meaning. This reminds of California anti-gun legislator Kevin de Leon.

Anti-Gun Senator Is Being Mocked Relentlessly After He Warned of ’30 Magazine Clips’ in Embarrassing Video

I gave up on this thread a long time ago because the ignorance, and perhaps most of all the bluster, of those who have a little knowledge, but not really enough, was astounding. It's scary to think that some of them might actually be carrying firearms openly or concealed.

Clip or Magazine both hold bullets...so does a drum,belt...ect.

Clip or Magazine both hold bullets...so does a drum,belt...ect.

Actually, they hold cartridges, of which the bullet is but one part.

I didn't see where anyone said clip, but you are correct. The M1903 and M1 used a clip....a stripper clip to load the fixed box magazine. So, clip can be proper terminology. Maybe.

But a 1911 uses a detachable box magazine, not a clip.

Marines carry 1911's "cocked and locked." A series 80 has so many darn safeties in it.

However, I know what you mean. I don't like to carry a 1911 because of this so I would recommend a Glock.

Marines carry 1911's "cocked and locked." A series 80 has so many darn safeties in it.

However, I know what you mean. I don't like to carry a 1911 because of this so I would recommend a Glock.

all depends on how comfortable you feel. I will only buy a guy that has a manual safety. I also train knowing the first step is to click off the safety when taking it from the holster. I also still consider myself a novice so thats another reason why I prefer a manual safety.

If you dont know of Plaxico Burress look up what happened. Felt his gun (1st mistake was this moron did not have it in a holster) and when he felt his glock move he went to grab it accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting himself in the leg.

all depends on how comfortable you feel. I will only buy a guy that has a manual safety. I also train knowing the first step is to click off the safety when taking it from the holster. I also still consider myself a novice so thats another reason why I prefer a manual safety.

If you dont know of Plaxico Burress look up what happened. Felt his gun (1st mistake was this moron did not have it in a holster) and when he felt his glock move he went to grab it accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting himself in the leg.

Ouch!!! Yes, after you load it you put it securely in a holster that completely covers the trigger (like they are supposed to) and you conceal it. And then it never comes out of the holster unless you are putting it in your safe or going to use it.

I love 1911s it's just the single stack mag. Also, the Glock always goes bang. Sometimes that's not good eh Plaxico?

Ouch!!! Yes, after you load it you put it securely in a holster that completely covers the trigger (like they are supposed to) and you conceal it. And then it never comes out of the holster unless you are putting it in your safe or going to use it.

I love 1911s it's just the single stack mag. Also, the Glock always goes bang. Sometimes that's not good eh Plaxico?

People are against license to carry. I think there should be an IQ test to everyone that applys for a concealed carry permit. I cant believe the stupid things I hear everyday. These people are giving ammunition (no pun intended) the likes of Bloomberg and the rest of the anti gun movement.

instead of the media showing stupid people with guns how about showing us good guys??

Yet another case of Glock Leg [ducking and running] :D

Seriously - take this shit to somewhere deep dark in the the fetish board - away away

all this gun masturbation is sickening

Seriously - take this shit to somewhere deep dark in the the fetish board - away away

And your lack of tolerance to a different point of view than your own is...you.

Nobody is forcing you to participate.

Last edited:
So anyone interested in the new Smith and Wesson rebates here in the states?

I just tried the Shield 9mm and .45 and have to say the .45 is quite impressive.

So anyone interested in the new Smith and Wesson rebates here in the states?

I just tried the Shield 9mm and .45 and have to say the .45 is quite impressive.

Yes, the rebate is a good one. $75 rebate for the Shield. I picked up mine on Monday. I got the performance center 9mm. I took it to the range Tuesday and put 100 rounds through it. The slide is quite stiff as well as the mag. From what I read, they will get better. The take down is pretty easy.

Which did you decide to get?

And makes the prospect of visiting the States ( for those still allowed in ) a frightening one.
I'm glad there is at least one sensible Lit person.

Yes, the rebate is a good one. $75 rebate for the Shield. I picked up mine on Monday. I got the performance center 9mm. I took it to the range Tuesday and put 100 rounds through it. The slide is quite stiff as well as the mag. From what I read, they will get better. The take down is pretty easy.

Which did you decide to get?

I'm going for the .45, mainly for the difference in felt recoil. I was wondering whether to go straight stock model or the performance center though. I like the hi-vis sights but am unsure about the porting, given the .45 is already moving relatively slowly out of such a short barrel.

Do you find the porting on your 9mm made a huge change in recoil?

And makes the prospect of visiting the States ( for those still allowed in ) a frightening one.
I'm glad there is at least one sensible Lit person.

No problem, there are many cities over here which share your views. Might I suggest Chicago, St. Louis, New Orleans or Baltimore to visit?

The shield had gotton amazing reviews. I think it was the top selling gun last year. I was thinking about buying one but they dont (or at the time) sell one with ambi safety. I know not everyone likes a safety but I do. I feel safer and more comfortable knowing there wont be any accidents. When the gun is in my holster the manual safety is on and when I draw it I release the safety. I practiced that way hundreds of times so I will not lose time taking the safety off..

The shield had gotton amazing reviews. I think it was the top selling gun last year. I was thinking about buying one but they dont (or at the time) sell one with ambi safety. I know not everyone likes a safety but I do. I feel safer and more comfortable knowing there wont be any accidents. When the gun is in my holster the manual safety is on and when I draw it I release the safety. I practiced that way hundreds of times so I will not lose time taking the safety off..

You make a great point. Some folk like manual safeties, some do not, but it is always good advice to get something that checks all the boxes. I love the manual safety on a 1911 and pistols like Ruger's SR9c, but on some of the newer striker pistols the smallness of the safety lever has me wondering if it would be a pro or con.

I believe the Sig 938 and S&W M&P compact have ambis, but needing one certainly cuts down on choices. Best of luck!

You make a great point. Some folk like manual safeties, some do not, but it is always good advice to get something that checks all the boxes. I love the manual safety on a 1911 and pistols like Ruger's SR9c, but on some of the newer striker pistols the smallness of the safety lever has me wondering if it would be a pro or con.

I believe the Sig 938 and S&W M&P compact have ambis, but needing one certainly cuts down on choices. Best of luck!

The reason why I love Rugers is because they have ambi safety and very inexpensive. I also have the SR9C and I prefer it over their newer line because the safey lever is smaller and less chances of it getting caught on clothing...

The reason why I love Rugers is because they have ambi safety and very inexpensive. I also have the SR9C and I prefer it over their newer line because the safey lever is smaller and less chances of it getting caught on clothing...

Not to mention their exemplary customer service.

I would have added Springfield to the great customer service list, but their political actions lately haven't earned them any friends.

Back