The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Well,. . .
I have a bloke who can repair a statue; it's one of an angel in the local graveyard which suffers deliberate damage (vandalism) and volunteers to put it together.
After a bit of a chat with the firm of Masons, it transpires that they let him put it together.
It turns out that the original sculptor was a bit of a genius and modelled the thing (family rumour) on his wife, who was [predictably] gorgeous.

And a descendant daughter is an exact model of the statue. . .

Ah well, it was a nice idea. . .

You might dispense with his discussions with the masons unless you mean Masons and want to do something with the secret society.

I see nothing wrong with that as a start, but maybe you're looking for something more romantic than Chloe's setup.

The sculptor becomes infatuated with the statue's image. He meets the descendant and is almost instantly in love with her. She's talented (pick a skill) and independent and doesn't need a man in her life right then, but he pursues her and she becomes interested in his work, and then in him.

They bond (complete with as much sex as you might want to add in) but then she is pulled away by war/job pressures/economic difficulties (take your pick). They struggle to rejoin, and when they do there are fireworks and HEA.

The statue, and his work on it can be woven through the entire story. Personally, I'd have to do a lot of research on the restoration of such things.

I see at least 20k words there. Probably more.

I do trust he would make an exception for brandy, whisky or, considering your location, calvados? There are some mornings which just call out for an enhanced cup.

I believe that the term is "rectified" but I'm not too sure..

The sculptor becomes infatuated with the statue's image. He meets the descendant and is almost instantly in love with her. She's talented (pick a skill) and independent and doesn't need a man in her life right then, but he pursues her and she becomes interested in his work, and then in him.

I see at least 20k words there. Probably more.

I'll give that some thought; thank you.

But for now, it's coffee-time

Allow me to pour you a coffee which meets the needs for both coffee and "rectified" simultaneously. Do enjoy :D

61MFPl0OupL._SX425_.jpg

Meanwhile I shall indulge myself with fresh coffee and an almond croissant. Brought fresh coz I jumped in the car and went and got some for breakfast. Indulging myself and a great start to the weekend. Cold and sunny today, so I am planning to stay warm and snug inside, writing away today!

almond-croissant-and.jpg

It's cool here, too.

I have a few repairs to make; the drill's going to by busy [must put the battery on charge!

Meanwhile, coffee. . .

Chloe, I trust you got that cup out of the autoclave? Otherwise, I think I’ll just have my coffee in my bare hands again.

HP, re your sculpture story, It sounds like it could be an interesting take on the 'Pygmalion' story (see Ovid 'Metamorphoses'), about the young sculptor who falls in love with his creation, the statue 'Galatea'. In the story, Aphrodite brings the ivory sculpture to life, I think you could wend your way through a very accessible, modern take on the ancient myth.

OTE over for this week, so I'm supposed to be BPD but shortarse chiefy wants a wander in the bundoo, to hear is to obey; tell mother my last words were of her, and don't forget to feed the donkey. if you see me staggering back over the horizon, drop a shot in the pot, boil it till it goes bloop-blomp and you can stand a spoon in it, and skim one this way

Will

Last edited:
Call me a neat-freak if you must, but I just washed the truck for the third time since I bought it 4 1/2 years ago.

Call me a neat-freak if you must, but I just washed the truck for the third time since I bought it 4 1/2 years ago.

One of the nouveau-riche things to do is to buy an expensive car and NOT wash it. This week I saw a Lamborgini, no more than a couple of months old, that was filthy. Expensive, high-range 4-wheel drive vehicles MUST be covered in mud to show that you use the off-road capability. Some owners add mud without going off-road. That is obvious because real off-road use plasters mud in a specific pattern.

Three times in 4 1/2 years for a truck doesn't count. A truck is a working vehicle, not a status symbol.

Coffee stains on the upholstery are good too. Where's the coffee?

(see Ovid 'Metamorphoses')

Ding - ding - ding! One of my all time favorites and an excellent source for story inspiration. Headed way down south for a week (keep a pot warm for me TxRad?), so no writing in store, but now I may have the travel book idea I needed.

Allow me to pour you a coffee which meets the needs for both coffee and "rectified" simultaneously. Do enjoy :D

61MFPl0OupL._SX425_.jpg

Which reminds me; been there, done that.
Not nice.

And . . . I've lost my Tape Measure, run out of space in my shed and I desperately need a coffee - damn the caffeine!

Feeling crappy.
Tried to bake
but the buchta broke,
spilled on the tin,
so I made pots de creme.
Can I get an Amen?
No writing here today.

:rolleyes:

Somebody spewed something on it while it was parked at the grocery store. It was time to wash.

Yikes. Now outside a party, yes. But a grocery store? Eeeeek.

And sometime I should tell you about the time I somersaulted out of the back of a truck while drinking, tossed my cookies in mid air and landed on my feet still holding the bottle I was drinking from. A party trick never to be repeated.

Last edited:
And sometime I should tell you about the time I somersaulted out of the back of a truck while drinking, tossed my cookies in mid air and landed on my feet still holding the bottle I was drinking from. A party trick never to be repeated.

Tell us next time. We could sell tickets and refinance the national debt.

My wife went to a political rally this afternoon and came across a video journalist filming the affair. The reporter had a pleasant English accent and it turned out he was from London and working for The Guardian.

Apparently The Guardian has been covering a local candidate for the US House of Representatives. She is leading in the polls (I'm told) and if she's elected she'll become the first Native American in Congress. How did the country get to 242 years old without a Native American in Congress?

In another US House race in the southern part of the state we have a woman with an Aztec first name (Xochitl) running as a Democrat. To complicate things, her second name is Hispanic, and her last name is English. She's not leading in the polls. I doubt that Congress has ever had a member with an Aztec name.

Apparently The Guardian has been covering a local candidate for the US House of Representatives. She is leading in the polls (I'm told) and if she's elected she'll become the first Native American in Congress. How did the country get to 242 years old without a Native American in Congress?

In another US House race in the southern part of the state we have a woman with an Aztec first name (Xochitl) running as a Democrat. To complicate things, her second name is Hispanic, and her last name is English. She's not leading in the polls. I doubt that Congress has ever had a member with an Aztec name.

For many of those 242 years Native Americans weren't citizens, weren't eligible to vote, and couldn't stand for election. Women were excluded too, as they were in the UK.

In the UK we also had prohibitions about practising Jews holding political office. The repeated election of Sir David Salomons to posts in the City of London changed the law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Salomons

He was following the principle established for Catholics by Sir Robert Throckmorton:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Robert_Throckmorton,_8th_Baronet

English voters were more tolerant than their political masters.

Maybe the US will have a Native American elected soon?

Happy Sinday to one and all. I hope everyone is either enjoying themselves or have plans too.

Fresh coffee is available as well as doughnut holes. I'm not sure what happened to the rest of the doughnut but HP has a glazed look about him.

I have a set of arms around me, a set of warm boobs pressed to my upper back, and someone nibbling on my ear. I'm going to take all that as an invite to go celebrate Sinday some more. :)

For many of those 242 years Native Americans weren't citizens, weren't eligible to vote, and couldn't stand for election.

I did a little fact-checking. There have been men with Native American ancestry in both the Senate and the House, but no women.

US women were given voting rights in 1920. Native Americans were given full citizenship and voting rights in 1924. We've had women in government almost since they could vote, but not Native American women.

Happy Sinday to one and all. I hope everyone is either enjoying themselves or have plans too.

Fresh coffee is available as well as doughnut holes. I'm not sure what happened to the rest of the doughnut but HP has a glazed look about him.

I have a set of arms around me, a set of warm boobs pressed to my upper back, and someone nibbling on my ear. I'm going to take all that as an invite to go celebrate Sinday some more. :)

My precious wifey-person is/was enjoying a coffee and doughnut or 6 until I pointed out that the holes in doughnuts are made of the same stuff as the holes in toilet seats. She hates me now...

Back