How do you cheer yourself up?

So many things:

A good vitamin B complex supplement
Working out
Yoga especially
Dancing
Music
30 seconds in freezing cold shower (swimmers euphoria)
Buying lingerie

Good luck
 
Oddly, I find that cleaning the house helps. I think about whatever annoys me or makes me angry while doing dreaded chores, as long as I'm in a bad mood I might as well do something I hate anyway. Call it fighting fire with fire.

And afterwards, even if I don't feel better, at least I have a clean place.

Incidentally, my house has been quite spotless lately.

I often do the same. Even though she's six years older than me I've been retired (medically) for longer than my wife. I've done most of the cooking and cleaning for over ten years. I thought I'd get more help after she retired, but she seems to have retired from housekeeping too. (In all fairness, she babysits for one of our kids and his wife who can't afford daycare right now. Thank God it's at their house or I'd be cleaning up after munchkins as well.)
 
Bake raspberry and white chocolate muffins and eat a couple freshly warm with morning coffee. :)
 
Dollie

When you are feeling down or blue, what are some of your favorite techniques for improving your mood. And don't everyone answer "orgasms".
I don't care what everybody answers. I masturbate or have intercourse. Then I have orgasms. Yes, I'm happy and you know it!
 
My preferred method of therapy is done while driving. I'll sing along to the radio if I know all the lyrics, but the key thing to remember is that it must be overdone in the most over-the-top manner my vocal chords can withstand. I've probably made "Livin on a Prayer" sound like someone's testicles being ripped off. I vocalize every Creed single in a James Hetfield/Trey Parker parody "Maaayun!" voice, and I make those sexy "ohh" noises in "Genie in a Bottle" sound like loud, exaggerated female orgasms.

It works every time, clearing out the anxiety that I felt was clinging to my lungs like mucus. I laugh out loud at how ridiculous I'm being. I should stress, however, that I'm driving alone when I do this. I can't imagine a passenger's reaction to someone going mental the way I do.

Otherwise I think of something funny, like a standup bit or a scene from a movie. I'll dig it up if I have access to YouTube. Scenes from Pineapple Express, Bill Hicks, Opie & Anthony circa 2009, etc.
 
Last edited:
I have a couple of methods. I was in a heck of a mood today so I did some colouring - which is totally cool now for adults...

But I also put on one of my favourite funny films, watch a funny TV show until I'm happy, crochet or embroider to take my mind off of whatever is bugging me.

One of these are likely to help but sometimes it's just waiting it out
 
I either climb on my motorcycle or fantasize about doing a slice and dice on my daughter's sexual molesters.
 
I either climb on my motorcycle or fantasize about doing a slice and dice on my daughter's sexual molesters.
That's definitely a stress reliever. Sorry to hear about your daughter, that's an awful thing to happen. Happy to hear about the motorbike (I'm a little obsessed)
 
A nice long walk, preferably somewhere in nature, like a park or conservation area. Bring some music along, and just focus on the beauty around me and try to recognize that my problems in the grand scheme of things are quite small.
 
somewhere in nature, like a park or conservation area. Bring some music along

That is something I never understand - headphones on and music playing while walking in such an environment. I want to hear the wind in the trees, the birdsong, frogs, insects, children laughing, the flow of the creek/river, lapping water of the lake. There is a symphony of sound in nature that is as important to me as the visuals. I want to be aware of as much as I can absorb in those locations and they feed each other. You see so much more when you listen carefully and hear more intently when you look into the detail.

hmm - just one of those things

I do love music - but why miss out on the uniqueness of every magical moment in nature land? I prefer listening to music in environments of less distractions.
 
Working out
My dog
Dancing
Music
Shopping
And my most favorite and always cheers me up is a walk on the beach, it may be a bit of a drive but so worth it.
 
Ice cream. Lots of ice cream.
Loud music, not just volume-wise, but bone-crunching metal loud.
Chocolate.
Shopping.
 
My preferred method of therapy is done while driving. I'll sing along to the radio if I know all the lyrics, but the key thing to remember is that it must be overdone in the most over-the-top manner my vocal chords can withstand. I've probably made "Livin on a Prayer" sound like someone's testicles being ripped off. I vocalize every Creed single in a James Hetfield/Trey Parker parody "Maaayun!" voice, and I make those sexy "ohh" noises in "Genie in a Bottle" sound like loud, exaggerated female orgasms.

It works every time, clearing out the anxiety that I felt was clinging to my lungs like mucus. I laugh out loud at how ridiculous I'm being. I should stress, however, that I'm driving alone when I do this. I can't imagine a passenger's reaction to someone going mental the way I do.

Otherwise I think of something funny, like a standup bit or a scene from a movie. I'll dig it up if I have access to YouTube. Scenes from Pineapple Express, Bill Hicks, Opie & Anthony circa 2009, etc.

This except I don't have to be in the car to butcher "Living on a Prayer." Music always helps me.
 
Wow, I'm really surprised to see this still going. It says something about people being generally supportive. Sure there's some trolls on lit but overall it's a nice community.
 
I go to Youtube and watch Looney Tunes.

I can't be sad watching Foghorn Leghorn and that dog, or Bugs Bunny and Elmer or Pepe Lepew. :D
 
Getting up, going out and doing stuff has its attractions but my partner and I are a bit disparate in this regard. He's a morning person with a desk job, whereas I'm a night owl who works shifts on her feet for hours on end. The time we do get together, he doesn't want to 'waste' by staying indoors. Me on the other hand, I frequently go back to work as shattered as I was when I went off-duty. So what REALLY makes me happy is a weekday off; no housework, no socialising, no legging it out the door with my partner. Just a duvet day. Junk food. Catch up TV. A long bath with a book and a glass of wine. Tranquility. Relaxation. Recharging physically and emotionally. It's priceless to me but he doesn't see the merit at all. "A day off work isn't a day off life" he tells me.

Well just occasionally it bloody well is and I'm not about to apologise. :)
 
Sometimes I cook with music playing
Sometimes I call up friends
Often I load my dogs in the car and we go for a drive and stop somewhere to walk around a bit
 
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying to use some of them. Been horribly depressed lately and can't get myself to do anything.
 
Orga... Damn! I let myself have one day where I lock myself in my room and just be sad- cry, get upset, "wo is me", then the next day I make myself get back into my usual pattern. My theory is that if I allow myself to dwell it's not going to get better. Talking to friends, tv, crafting, other hobbies.
 
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying to use some of them. Been horribly depressed lately and can't get myself to do anything.

Philos, can you call a friend?

Sometimes I have to force myself to reach out or get out.

You might not FEEL like going for a walk or seeing a friend but see if it helps. I hope you feel better.
 
Back
Top