The "Fuck you cancer!" thread

Thanks. I'm grateful for the support of friends and I feel blessed that I have so many friends here. I've checked and I'll have wi-fi access at the hospital so I ought to be able to check in occasionally once I'm on the mend there.
The friendships you have here are reflections of the friendliness and friendships you've given.

Hospital wi-fis are often censored/net-nannied. Don't be too sure you'll be able to get here, lol.

The friendships you have here are reflections of the friendliness and friendships you've given.

Hospital wi-fis are often censored/net-nannied. Don't be too sure you'll be able to get here, lol.

If you have a smartphone and go the 3G route, you should be ok :)

I've been assuming that I'd have to use my phone to get to Lit. Hell, I can't even visit here when I'm having coffee at Panera Bread. What I'm not sure about is if there will be secure storage for a phone, iPad etc. but I'm sure we'll figure out something.

What I'm not sure about is if there will be secure storage for a phone, iPad etc. but I'm sure we'll figure out something.
Many - though not all, I'm sure - hospitals now have a lockable drawer or other small storage area in patient rooms. OTOH, nurses/aides often will take your phone or other small electronic devices (and your wallet) and secure them at the nurses' station, though it's then a bit of a pita to get them back when you want to use them. Or you can simply keep your phone on your person... iPads, etc., are probably a bit large for that, though.

MWY and gypsy my thoughts are with you and your loved ones for good outcomes and fast healing. Huge hugs! :rose:

FYC!

Just taken a call from my retired business partner. His younger daughter, married teacher with two small children, had an unusual piece of skin removed from the bra line area under her arm just before Christmas. On the day of the op, he had been due to come to see me, but the decision was taken at the time to remove a larger area of skin that they had originally planned, and so he had to go to the hospital to bring her home safely instead.

It's an aggressive form of melanoma, they have discovered, and is worryingly near to lymph nodes. So she needs to have more taken away as soon as possible, but the earliest appointment, barring a cancellation, is the end of February. As we all know, the waiting can be tougher than the event.

So can we add this one to the good vibes list, please, ladies and gents.

Thanks Curi, and everyone else who is spreading the love.
Today's the day we meet the new pulmonologist, and hopefully get some concrete answers.

Yank and Lally...
You're on the positive vibe/healing radar!
:rose:

... but the earliest appointment, barring a cancellation, is the end of February. As we all know, the waiting can be tougher than the event.

The UK section of the good vibes antenna farm has a new addition, aimed at your former partner's daughter, with a sub-antenna beaming out "hurry up" thoughts.

Aggh! I leave for a week and cellfucker tries to crash the Church of FYC...

Soooo...

They've classified it as a "mass", and they'll want a biopsy of it. Radiation was mentioned, as well as a "small spot on the right kidney". Could be part of the emphysema. Everything is proceeding very quickly, as I'm taking her to the new pulmonologist on Monday. This is forty years since she had the big C. Twice. And twice she was given six months to live.

Although she IS one tough cookie...

My brothers? They're so wrapped up in the swirling vortex that is their lives, that as usual, they're no help at all. Self-freakin-centered.

"New England woman's head explodes - Film at eleven." Yup.

FYC

Hope you get some good news.

FYC.

So...I guess it's my turn to join the party here. For the last ten days I've been bouncing from doc to doc and now the course is set: I'll be going into the hospital next Wednesday to have a tumor removed from my colon. So far just about all the data and testing has come up pretty positive. The blood work didn't show anything alarming, the CAT scan showed no metastisis, and the tumor is located in such a place that we won't have to do any radiation before surgery. The prognosis is excellent at this point, though we'll know more after the surgery and when the lymph nodes are tested.

So that's that: I have a mass in my ass but I'm still kicking.

It's easy for me to say, because I don't have a mass in my ass (although some would say my head qualifies), but... I am glad to hear there are a lot of positives to this diagnosis.

Give 'em hell, MWY.

Just taken a call from my retired business partner. His younger daughter, married teacher with two small children, had an unusual piece of skin removed from the bra line area under her arm just before Christmas. On the day of the op, he had been due to come to see me, but the decision was taken at the time to remove a larger area of skin that they had originally planned, and so he had to go to the hospital to bring her home safely instead.

It's an aggressive form of melanoma, they have discovered, and is worryingly near to lymph nodes. So she needs to have more taken away as soon as possible, but the earliest appointment, barring a cancellation, is the end of February. As we all know, the waiting can be tougher than the event.

So a long wait for the appointment... And then the wait for lab results?? For aggressive melanoma.

Fuck.

That is insane.

I will vibe madly.

FYC.

It's easy for me to say, because I don't have a mass in my ass (although some would say my head qualifies), but... I am glad to hear there are a lot of positives to this diagnosis.

FYC.

Oh DGE, remind me not to be eating when I read your posts, my screen has just been shot blasted with porridge!

Lally, my thoughts are with your friend. Xxx

Thanks for all the good vibes and other related phenomena. Today is all about plowing the road for the surgeon, so it's a clear-liquids only diet. I was hoping to be able to do the job with some salt but apparently a bucket of French fries is not what the doctor ordered. So it's (in case you're at all curious) a 14-day supply of laxatives taken in a four-hour period followed by (I presume) many lengthy opportunities to read the newspaper in privacy.

Pro Tip: When you're on a clear-liquids-only diet, it's best to avoid the grocery store.

Positive thoughts and fighting spirit for Yank, Gypsy and Lally.:rose::heart:

Thank you, blu.

Mom goes in for a biopsy on the mass in her lung tomorrow. They should be able to do a "quick swab" for cancer right then. It's been a flurry of scheduling of tests and follow-ups the past two days.

Sure can use all of your wonderful positive everything right now.
Thank you all!
:rose::heart::rose:

Thanks for all the good vibes and other related phenomena. Today is all about plowing the road for the surgeon, so it's a clear-liquids only diet. I was hoping to be able to do the job with some salt but apparently a bucket of French fries is not what the doctor ordered. So it's (in case you're at all curious) a 14-day supply of laxatives taken in a four-hour period followed by (I presume) many lengthy opportunities to read the newspaper in privacy.

Pro Tip: When you'rie on a clear-liquids-only diet, it's best to avoid the grocery store.

I can sympathise entirely. That stuff is nasty. Take some glucose sports drinks or you will feel very wobbly in a very short space of time.
*very big hugs!*

I can sympathise entirely. That stuff is nasty. Take some glucose sports drinks or you will feel very wobbly in a very short space of time.
*very big hugs!*

Yes. In fact, I mixed it UK in Gatorade so it tasted fine. Surgery was yesterday and it went very well. The doc said he looked around and didn't see any obvious spread, either. Am quite sore today and didn't get much sleep last night, but this first big step is complete. Now the job is to recover from the surgery. Will get lab results in a few days. Perv on, friends.

Yes. In fact, I mixed it UK in Gatorade so it tasted fine. Surgery was yesterday and it went very well. The doc said he looked around and didn't see any obvious spread, either. Am quite sore today and didn't get much sleep last night, but this first big step is complete. Now the job is to recover from the surgery. Will get lab results in a few days. Perv on, friends.
Doc's report sounds good, very glad to hear it!

Re: recovering from the surgery - Don't push it! Take your time and baby yourself a bit. Surgery is an insult to and assault upon your body, and the quickest way to recover is to *take your time* recovering.

This is all positive!

Good job, buddy.

Today I told my mother she has cancer.

It's a good thing we're made of very tough gypsy stock.

FYC

Back