What are your biggest turn offs? In reading, writing or real life.

Any spanking story which includes the word “derrière”. Unless it’s written in French.
 
In writing: implausible scenarios; descriptive writing that shows the author has never tried what he/she is describing, or doesn't know how real anatomy works; any mention of numerical dimensions ("He pulled out his 9.5 inch penis!", "She revealed her bare 32DDD breasts to him", etc;) D/s stuff that reads like a desparate fantasy of D/s from someone who's only read 50 shades; typos, misspellings, bad grammar...

In real life: people being thoughtless or inconsiderate, superficial or boring, or demanding/bossy (with very rare exceptions), or unwilling to open up. "I dunno, whatever YOU like."
 
Anything poorly written gets binned pretty quickly. I just won't open incest, although there seems to be so much of it about (is it just wanting what you can't have?). Really not a fan of non-consensual either, and scat is a no-no as well.

So very similar to quite a few responses it seems.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anything poorly written gets binned pretty quickly. I just won't open incest, although there seems to be so much of it about (is it just wanting what you can't have?). Really not a fan of non-consensual either, and scat is a no-no as well.

So very similar to quite a few responses it seems.

HxB
I must mentally screen out all the incest-themed stuff here but this just reminded me. There seems to be so much! Is it written by confused 15-year olds, or is this the only site of its type which allows it, or what?
 
In writing I couldn’t care, go wild.

In real life any attempt to covey any emotion that is not real, and I can tell when it isn’t (don’t ask unless you have time to be pulled into this black hole), will take me from interested or falling for you to ready to cleanse your gene pool in about 2.1 seconds.
 
In all of the above: unkind behavior and bad grammar!
I agree. I remember a story about a groom fucking the Maid of Honer while his new "stuck up bitch wife was asleep"... And the groom and the maid of honer fuck, and then fuck with, mock, put down, the bride.
I have had boyfriends and Husbands do this- put other women down in front of me.

Highly unattractive

(pardon my grammar )
 
My biggest turn offs, short list:

1. Japanese porn, or almost anything with Japanese or Asian girls who cry during sex. I like passion and pleasure. This form of porn is a boner killer for me. It's a real shame because Asian women are very sexy when they aren't crying or pretending to be hurt sexually.

2. Ass-eating, scat, poop, whatever. It's just gross, and the smell makes me gag. I even give myself courtesy flushes when I'm pooping on the toilet.
 
Incest doesn't work for me, although step relations is OK. Anyone have a problem with steps?

It bothers me but I can't really tell you why? Like I know that the whole issue with incest is the birth defects but stepsiblings still bother me.

I think it's like... anyone raised in the family unit. If you're raised together, in the same house and everything, that's supposed to be a safe, non-sexual space, in my head. Like have you ever heard someone say, "I can't fuck you, you're like a brother to me?" That's a real thing. There's some line there, some "like a sibling" line that exists that I can't cross whether or not there's genetics involved. It's a different mindset.

Other shit I just can't read or watch is underage, which because I read a lot of hentai comes up a SHOCKING amount. Shota and Loli should not be things. I shouldn't have to filter through them. It ruins the whole mood just to see the words. Even if there's some dumbass magic workaround or something it's still not cool. I really wish people would quit with this shit.

Edit: Oh, another one is if the story focuses on something that just does not fucking matter to me, but the story wants it to be real important for absolutely no reason. Like if it's not set in a time period where race would matter that much, like if it's a contemporary, and it lists the character's races for no reason, that shit annoys the fuck out of me. Or even like, long visual descriptions of any kind. I'm going to ignore them and project my fantasy hot people onto these characters anyway so that they'll match my taste, you're just upping the word count at that point. Just any long unnecessary bullshit that you're pretending is going to be important but then it just never is. I'll take plot, I'll take characterization, but in erotica I don't need padding. Like if it's important to the story that's fine but like don't stop and give me a ten page description like you're Anne fucking rice describing Lestat. Just say "hot vampire" and move on with your life.
 
Last edited:
Mine are

My top three all across the board are:

1. Incest (pretend or otherwise)
2. Reluctance/non consent (pretend or otherwise)
3. Ball gags (Only them though, not other types of gags.)

Bring any of these up and it's like a big'ol thermonuclear mood killer for me.

:p

1. Not being properly groomed, e.g. unclean, greasy hair, dirty nails, hands and feet not well maintained. 2. Unnecessarily vulgar language. 3. A quiet woman during sex
 
in writing: 1. "squat", "pee hole", and "crotch". no thanks.
2. referencing spitting- the rules are arbitrary, i know, but once come has been in your mouth, it becomes spit when it exits your mouth.
3. using the words bum, rear, butt while referencing it in a sexual situation.
4. author just not liking women: women choosing to become bimbos, choosing to have an alien impregnate her, or making "dumb" choices is fine with me. but when you read something where the author conveys a completely unsubtle hatred of women disguised as kink it feels gross to bump into.


in real life: dumb men or men who insist intelligence is unattractive in women. men who touch me quickly without permission (i startle easily). men who talk shit about their exes. all mood killers.
 
I hope none of my stories fit into any of these scenarios. I try to make everything as true to life as possible.

(1)Actually, fake crap is up high on my list. I do enjoy larger than life stories, but that doesn't mean very large cocks or outlandish boobs. I'd rather prefer the mental part to be larger than life, if possible, because I know making the physical part any larger than anatomically correct can end up as too much.

(2) Spelling, grammar and punctuation. At least show me you know how to proof read.

(3) Consistent time line with story and character. I don't like reading something and all of the sudden, they are in bed, naked and going at it. What happened to the time from the living room to the bedroom? Or lapses in story line where a character shows up in the room, out of nowhere, and joins in the conversation as if they were always there...or visa versa...someone vanishes without actually leaving the room.

Also, group sex where everybody is perfect in every way and the whole group of them have multiple orgasms and splash cum all over everything and everybody.

(4) I don't know...I guess just common sense is key for me.

OK, maybe a dildo that is larger than normal or some kind of electrical device that might seem over the top, but still possible. They do make those things, but even they can sometimes be too large for possible insertion. I mean...please.
 
Across the board? Urine, scat, incest, are hard stops for me. Feet are in there too. I have never understood foot fetish. Blood play is a turn on in visual mediums for me (Penny Dreadful!), but would never *ever* allow myself to get cut in real life.

In fiction, cartoonishly large breasts. Cartoonishly large dicks. Any time body features are described by scientific measurement. Asian girl fetish, especially the ethnic, petite, oriental, girls with the slanted eyes. (Asians can be in fiction and be normal, people!). Awkward nerd characters, who don't grow or develop as people, yet still get a harem somehow.

In real life? All of the above plus typical things like inconsideration of others, me first attitudes, ambition without empathy, being a trump supporter etc. Not understanding BDSM etiquette, but still being around it for some reason.
 
Reading: Constant misspelling and bad grammar. And I mean constant. I'm fine with slip-ups, but if the writer shows no care or effort, I move on. I don't like bratty and tedious characters. Also reading smut in English has been a turn off, because I've just had a hard time engaging that part of myself in that language, I suppose. It's changed, though.

Writing: I don't really write a lot, but constant misspelling and bad grammar is probably a good answer here as well, although it's mostly an issue if I write in a foreign language. I'd find it difficult to motivate myself to write about a submissive male character, so maybe that?.

Yess I completely agree with these. Other than for deliberate emphasis (as just demonstrated), proper grammar is essential for me to really get into a story, no matter what kind of story it is.

English is my first language, so smut is never a turn-off for that reason, but certainly spelling and grammar are the big ones.
 
I X out of an erotic story if the narrative goes straight to sex.


You can usually tell when a story is written by a young male (other than bad writing, poor grammar etc) because the male and female will be getting it on by the end of the 2nd paragraph.

(if indeed he uses paragraphs).
 
Real life bad breath and not showered... sometimes un showered can be a major turn in but more often it’s just gross... ewwwe
 
The idea that dominance is a thing that a person is no matter what, goes along with using alpha beta etc terms that are still used despite being redacted for their use and that idea of wolf pack structure only holding true in confinement, also that people use beta to mean omega as well. You would think in communities with that care so much about correct language usage people wouldnt be using 40 year outdated studies incorrectly still.

Along the first point people stating that they have been and always will be a certain way in a manner that suggests they think that is anything but a massive weakness in their ability to function in a changing world, in the bad storms the oak breaks apart so easily while the willow endures.
 
I X out of an erotic story if the narrative goes straight to sex.


You can usually tell when a story is written by a young male (other than bad writing, poor grammar etc) because the male and female will be getting it on by the end of the 2nd paragraph.

(if indeed he uses paragraphs).

I don't mind if a story opens with sex, especially in the KU world where that's kind of how a lot of authors write.

Thing is though, does it go somewhere from there? That's the issue.
 
In reading and writing, my biggest pet peeve is when the stories read like porno scripts. There is a difference between erotica and pornography. Good erotica has flashed out characters, builds up to sex, and doesn't completely revolve around fucking. What especially off-putting is the use of derogatory slang for genitalia, such as "cock" or "cunt". Seriously, show some class.

In real life, I'm not personally attracted to pain, violence, any type of non-consent (as in real non-consent) or stuff like scat and vomit. Aside from that, not much bothers me, not even stuff like incest. On the contrary, I actually find consensual incest to be cute and endearing. The thought of two people loving each other in so many different ways is very beautiful to me. Guess that makes me kind of messed up, huh?
 
...What especially off-putting is the use of derogatory slang for genitalia, such as "cock" or "cunt". Seriously, show some class.

Are those two words derogatory? When applied to humans as an insult, then certainly, but in erotica and when applied to the correct anatomical parts?

Quite frankly, I find it a struggle to keep repetition of words and phrases down when writing a scene. Finding ways of describing genitalia (which obviously crop up regularly) is particularly hard, but I've only written a handful of stories so it would be good to hear from other more-prolific writers on how they manage.
 
Overboard Arrogance.
In both RL and fiction. Nothing is a bigger turn off to me then someone who is full of themselves and that classes better than everyone else.
There is a huge difference in having self confidence now that's appealing.
 
Back
Top