Dark Receiver

"Then we will have to face them today, you will need something sheik or sleek and black for tonight."

Claire saw that he seemed amused.

"This will be very interesting and uncomfortable, I think that I may have upset your father quite a deal with my remarks about his parenthood."

She shook her head.

"I don't think that would be a good idea. It would be best if I went back and just got the things I need. As you said, my father doesn't seem to like you, so the two of us turning up and clearing out my things isn't going to go down well."

She didn't see what could be gained by antagonising them.

"Can you imagine how he'd react if he thought we were living together?"

She blushed hotly as she realised how that sounded.

"Not 'like that' I know, but what would he think?"

She clarified.
 
He found her blush so alluring, it brought out her features and made her eyes shine, he nodded,

"I will agree with you, but how will you get there and back here..."

Thunder rumbled menacingly,

"With that going on?"

He got up from his seat,

"Unless you are going to tell me that you can drive a car, otherwise we will have to get a cab to take you two blocks away."

He picked the car keys from the keyrack and held them up,

"And I have this strange feeling that the cab is not the best of ideas."
 
"I will agree with you, but how will you get there and back here...With that going on?"

As usual Glen was ever practical.

"Unless you are going to tell me that you can drive a car, otherwise we will have to get a cab to take you two blocks away."

She watched him pick up the car keys.

"And I have this strange feeling that the cab is not the best of ideas."

He seemed all set to head out.

"We don't have to go now do we?"

She questioned.

"I don't like going out in storms and ... even if I need something for this evening ... there's no rush is there?"

She definitely didn't want to go out in this weather, but neither did she feel up to another confrontation with her parents.
 
He chuckled,

"Not right now my dear, but we do need to have a nice plan of action if the weather does not improve and judging from the weather forecast it doesn't bode well."

He jingled the keys,

"So do I drive you, or can you drive? I do have this very nice and soft comfortor stashed away, it should help chase away some of the chill."
 
"Not right now my dear, but we do need to have a nice plan of action if the weather does not improve and judging from the weather forecast it doesn't bode well."

Claire groaned as he confirmed that if anything the storm was getting worse.

"So do I drive you, or can you drive? I do have this very nice and soft comfortor stashed away, it should help chase away some of the chill."

She sighed.

"You can drive me, but only as long as I can hide under the comforter ... "

She conceded.

"... and if you want to risk an hysterical woman in the car with you ... "

She told him, only half joking as the prospect of driving out in this definitely did not appeal.

"What do I need something formal for anyway?"

She asked finally.
 
"I'll take my chances with you."

He took the keys to his seat and sat down with his papers,

"Well for our date of course."

He gave her a small grin as he absentmindedly tapped his pen on the paper,

"Or have you forgotten already hmm?"

He suddenly got to his feet,

"Ah yes now I remember."

He stalked off into his room and returned with a fleece comforter, light purple with little symbols all over. He handed it solemly over to her,

"And with this I present to you, the lady of hearts, the magic blanket."
 
"I'll take my chances with you."

He reassured her and returned to his desk.

"Well for our date of course ... or have you forgotten already hmm?"

She hadn't forgotten, but given that they got on so well with him as her producer and landlord, she had suspected that perhaps he'd let that offer slide so as not to complicate things.

" ... no of course not ... "

She replied finally.

"But this evening might not be the best time ... "

She nodded towards he window indicating the weather and besides, she felt terrible, which was not what she'd wanted at all for the 'date' he had planned.

"Ah yes now I remember."

Claire watched him disappear into his room and return with a purple comforter.

"And with this I present to you, the lady of hearts, the magic blanket."

She took it looking in bewilderment between it and Glen, his solemnity puzzling her.

"... magic, how?"

She asked him, curious as to what romantic fancy of his this might be ...
 
He pointed out several of the symbols,

"To ward off bad luck."

He pointed out others,

"To retain a good rest."

He held up a finger,

"But it is child's magic, it will only work when you believe in it."

He gave her a grin,

"Of course it never worked for me, you should give it a try, perhaps the comforter likes you more than it likes me."

He sat down again,

"We'll see about the weather, I shall later go consult the weather gods and do a nice sunny dance to lighten their mood and allow me to take you out on an evening you will not forget."
 
Her eyes travelled over the comforter as he described the symbols.

"But it is child's magic, it will only work when you believe in it."

She wondered if his grin meant that he thought she was childish?

"Of course it never worked for me, you should give it a try, perhaps the comforter likes you more than it likes me."

She nodded, reassured and actually thought that it might just work.

"We'll see about the weather, I shall later go consult the weather gods and do a nice sunny dance to lighten their mood and allow me to take you out on an evening you will not forget."

She giggled.

"I'd pay to see that ... though you might make it worse."

She teased and seemed to consider.

"How's about I try to get a couple of hour's sleep, then grab a snack then if it suits you we head over to mum and dad's early afternoon... and with any luck the storm might have passed on by them... if your dance is any good that is?"

She suggested.
 
He gave her a warm smile,

"Sure, but I will be heading out to do my dance when you are asleep. Perhaps next time I will take your money to entertain you."

He went to the kitchen to fix himself a cup of tea and then sat back down, looking over at her for a while and then he turned to his papers, continuing to write on the papers as he hummed to himself.
 
"Sure, but I will be heading out to do my dance when you are asleep.
Perhaps next time I will take your money to entertain you."


Claire laughed at his offer and wondered if Glen was actually a good dancer ... and if she would ever find out ...

She lay down on the sofa as he headed back to the kitchen. Outside the storm still raged and she resisted her usual urge to dive under the cover, deciding instead to focus upon the symbols trying to recall how Glen had described them. With a sigh she relaxed back, her finger trailing along the strange shapes wondering what era the comforter originated from and intrigued by the concept of 'child's magic'.

Amazingly when the lightning next flashed she gave no reaction, for finally she had fallen asleep ...
 
Despite the weatherman's dire forecast for heavy rain for the next two days, the rain did pether out around four the evening. This brought Glen's work to an end as there was a lot of things to get done before eight. He had made a two reservations, and the first was for eight 'o clock, he got up and hunkered down next to Claire, gently touching her arm, his voice soft,

"Claire? Claire it's time to wake up."

He smiled at her when she opened her eyes,

"Hey sleepy head, it's just past four, you want that sandwich before we go over to your parents'?"
 
"Claire?"

She stirred as she heard her name being called, but in truth she slept too deeply to rouse so easily.

"Claire it's time to wake up."

She murmured as she felt a touch on her arm, her eyes fluttering open, disorientated for the moment, then finding herself face to face with Glen.

He smiled at her when she opened her eyes,

"Hey sleepy head, it's just past four,"

Her eyes widened in shock. She couldn't believe she had slept and slept so long!

" ... you want that sandwich before we go over to your parents'?"

She sat up and tried to focus. Of course they had discussed going to get more of her stuff, her formal wear in particular, but how had it gotten so late?

"Yes ... a sandwich would be great ... I think I need to take a quick shower ... and get dressed ... "

She told him folding up the comforter he had given her.

"I'll be 10 minutes, maybe 15 ... "

She told him, scooting off to return actually 12 minutes later dressed in black jeans and a tshirt, a pink sweater in hand.
 
He placed a fresh sandwich on the table along with a glass of milk,

"You better slip on that sweater when we head outside, it's a lot colder and still overcast."

He smiled,

"I'm glad to see the comforter actually worked, as far as I know my grandmother made it, she had some Gaelic roots and she just couldn't resist. I of course used it for heat, blame my too rational for a child brain."

He grinned and cleared out the dishes from breakfast, placing them into seperate holders to warm up when needed again.
 
He presented her with her snack and advised her to wear her sweater making her laugh at the care he took of her.

"Making sure your leading lady is well fed and doesn't catch cold?"

She quipped as she tucked in.

"I'm glad to see the comforter actually worked, as far as I know my grandmother made it, she had some Gaelic roots and she just couldn't resist. I of course used it for heat, blame my too rational for a child brain."

She considered his words.

" ... there's a lot of truth in those old beliefs ... "

She told him.

" ... but I guess you'd say that makes me irrational ... "

She seemed not to mind.

"... main thing is it worked .. I slept really well ... a first when there's a storm raging..."
 
He smiled,

"Lead lady, has a certain ring to it, I can work with that."

He grinned at her and rinsed the bowls and pan,

"Well the trouble is that once you step into the world of theater very little actually makes rational sense. Like the belief of saying William Shakespear's name or mention Macbeth in a theater. If I had not seen certain things happen to people who disregarded warnings, I would have not believed at all."

He placed the dishes on the drying rack and took a seat opposite Claire, resting an elbow on the top and resting his chin on the palm of that arm.

"I am not what you can call a cold rational, well not anymore."
 
"Lead lady, has a certain ring to it, I can work with that."

He told her with a grin, drawing an answering smile from Claire.

"Well the trouble is that once you step into the world of theater very little actually makes rational sense. Like the belief of saying William Shakespear's name or mention Macbeth in a theater. If I had not seen certain things happen to people who disregarded warnings, I would have not believed at all."

She wondered what he meant by disregarding warnings!?

"I am not what you can call a cold rational, well not anymore."

She met is gaze and could not work out if he was joking or in earnest.

" .. so .. do you think there are warnings we're not heeding?"

She asked.
 
He shook his head,

"No, we are following old rules...and new ones, as closely as we can."

He took her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze,

"Come on, let's go get you that stuff you need to pick up."

He stood, together they walked to the door, he close and locked the door behind them, then unlocked the garage door with a remote,

"Are you ready for this?"
 
All too soon reality hit home and inevitably she had to go home and most likely face her parents yet again.

"Are you ready for this?"

She hesitated and shook her head.

"I'm dreading it to be honest ... I hate ... confrontation ... and with them everything has to be so ... difficult..."

She got into the car and sighed.

"I've not been in contact with them since I just walked out. I can't imagine I'll get a friendly reception ... "

She looked across at him.

" ... and you're not my dad's favourite person, so all in all ... "

... All in all she wasn't expecting this to be pleasant.
 
He got in the car and started it up, he backed out and drove over to her parents' house, even from outside he could see the packing taking place,

"Are you certain that I shouldn't come along? You know, take some of the brunt away from you?"

He gave a smile,

"Or I can be your backup, come in 5 minutes after you, I do have some Shakespear lines to spout..."

He mockingly drew a sword,

"Have at thee knave, protector of sins, warrior of the unchaste, I shall set daylight through you and have it burn your cancerous soul."

He grinned,

"Of course I just made that up."
 
"Are you certain that I shouldn't come along? You know, take some of the brunt away from you? Or I can be your backup, come in 5 minutes after you, I do have some Shakespear lines to spout..."

She laughed as he spouted the fake lines.

"Actually, I think plan B sounds like a good move. I'll go in first and then you come to pick up the pieces 5 or 10 minutes after... ?"

She sighed nervously.

"What d'you think?"
 
"I think you might get welcomed back with open arms, just relax, I'll make sure to draw most of their vlak when things does come to that."

He reached over and gave her a hug,

"Relax Claire, you will be fine."

He cupped a fist and pushed it against her chin, winking at her,

"Go knock 'em out"
 
"I think you might get welcomed back with open arms, just relax, I'll make sure to draw most of their vlak when things does come to that."

Claire didn't want to admit how nervous she was about going back home and moved willingly into the hug Glen offered her. Doubtless he could tell how tense he was when he held her.

"Relax Claire, you will be fine. Go knock 'em out"

She laughed at his word and slid out of the passenger seat and headed determinedly to the front door without giving herself time to hesitate. After a moment's indecision, she took out her key and let herself into the house. Standing in the hall, she could hear the television or radio in the living room beyond and when she strained to listen was sure that she could hear her mother moving around in the kitchen beyond.

Treading carefully so as not to alert her father, it was her mother she decided to go to first..

"Hello mum ... "

She said softly as the woman turned around in surprise.

"Claire!"

She moved to hug her and Claire could do nothing but return the embrace.

"Did you see your father? He said we shouldn't contact you, knew you'd be back. We knew as soon as ... "

Claire sighed and stopped her mother in mid flow.

"I'm not back to stay, mom. I'm here to collect more of my things."

She saw the emotions play across her mother's face.

"Take it all then ..."

They both turned at her father's harsh comment.

"Dad, don't be like that ... "

Despite herself Claire found herself wanting to make peace with her father, for him to understand.

"You just disappeared, Claire. No message, no call, no nothing.
It's what you chose. After years of protecting you that's the thanks we get."


She saw a look pass between her parents.

" ... protecting me..?"

She laughed mirthlessly.

"... being over protective more like."

She accused.

"I have a job and a place to live. I had hoped you'd be happy for me.
But if you're not then ... well you move off to your cosy little retirement and I guess that's that.... "


She concluded.
 
He waited the alloted five minutes and left the car, he flicked his collar up against the sudden cold gush. Walking up the walkway to the door he listened for any argument, it was quiet, he took a deep breath, steeled himself and pressed the door bell. That should break tensions, he heard a heavy thread and the door got opened quite harshly, Claire's father glowered from the inside and his eyes darkened along with the rest of his face,

"You!"

If words was poison, that single word would have slain Glen where he stood faster than Romeo's much fabled killer. Glen released the breath he was holding,

"Yes...me."

"I have a few words for you..."

Glen held up a hand,

"There's ladies present, come outside and shut the door if you really want to say those words."

It looked like Mount Vesuvius...in motion. He stepped outside and closed the door rather hard,

"You have no idea what you have done."

Glen arched a brow, staring right back at the man in front of him,

"Is this about the curse or is this about me wooing your daughter?"

The words took away some of the wind in his sails, there was confusion and he blinked it away.

"You said..."

"Yes I did, fact is that I like Claire, working with her have made me see a woman whom I want to get to know better."

"You can not do for her what we have."

This made Glen smirk,

"Actually I can do better, did you pause to think about her happiness? She's happy, even I can see it, you can only see what you wish to see."

Anger radiated from her father and he took a step closer, clearly aiming to use his height over Glen to intimidate him,

"Leave my daughter alone."

Glen did not back up as would be expected, he glared back up into the dark, angry face, his words soft and challenging,

"Make me."

The fist came out of nowhere, but the experienced fencer Glen was made him duck it, he blocked the next shot and moved away quickly,

"Violence will never work on me sir, try logic."

"She's my daughter! I forbid you to go near her!"

"I am not your daughter, I will do as I please."

The anger radiated in waves from the man and Glen sighed,

"She saved a man's life you know? This little blowback? It prevented a death."

This news took the sails away, leaving Claire's father gaping at Glen,

"Can't we just be civil once? Tell you what, let's meet for coffee, nice, secluded place where we all can talk, you, Claire, her mom and me."
 
Claire was in her bedroom, her case open on her bed as she folded and sorted through her clothes as she set about packing in earnest. Her mother stood in the doorway and watched tearfully.

"I just don't know why you don't understand mom..."

Claire told her with a sigh.

"All I want is to work at something I love to do and to get a life of my own.
You and daddy have been great, but ... "


She sighed as she paused in her packing.

"I wish you could be happy for me. Do you realise how lucky I've been?
I have a leading Shakespearean role, a great group of friends ..."


The doorbell rang downstairs and they both stood silently as her father went to the door. They heard a few words exchanged and then silence.

"That could be Glen ..."

Claire told her mother.

" ... I hope ... "

But her mother had left the room and was making her way downstairs looking round until she realised that the two must be outside. Claire was soon beside her as they heard voices from the other side of the door. They opened the door stepping outside in time to overhear Glen's suggestion.

"Can't we just be civil once? Tell you what, let's meet for coffee, nice, secluded place where we all can talk, you, Claire, her mom and me."

The two men looked far from friendly; in fact her father looked more than aggressive.

"I think that would be a good idea."

All eyes whirled around to Claire's mother.

"Claire still needs time to finish packing what she needs for now, so why don't you come inside Glen?"

Claire was astounded that it was her mother who was taking the lead and attempting to diffuse the situation.

"Claire, you go sort what you need for now. We can talk about what other things you might need to set up on your own at a later date."

She told her bewildered daughter.
 
Back
Top