It's not cheating if you don't get caught (closed)

Jupiter0

Desirable
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Posts
1,496
Kate opened the door to her childhood home. Her bag was getting heavy from the long walk from her car to the house. There were probably eight cars parked in their ridiculously long driveway to their ridiculously large house. She was always embarrassed by this house. Coming from a large rich family did have its ups, but being the middle child she always focused on the downs.

"I'm home!" Kate shouted to the empty house. Figures. Everyone would be out in the backyard, which had turned into the ultimate entertainment patio. Her mom had joined some ladies' club and had weekly gatherings. Rich people. She wished she could just stay in college year round.

But here she was. It was the Jennings' annual family reunion and it was hosted by none other than her parents this year. She had to come because she regrettably figured that it would be the last year her Granny would attend. Her cancer was more severe than ever and she was 'on borrowed time' as the prick doctor liked to say. She loved her Granny more than any other family member and Kate would be damned if she missed this week.

Kate left her bag by the door, knowing some hired help would take it up to her old room. Or whatever room she would be shoved into due to the multitude of guests. Privacy was going to be hard to come by, she could just tell.

Looking through the glass window, Kate could see that only her parents and sisters were here. Her younger sister, Brooke, was still in High School and was glued to her phone while the adults chattered on with stupid small talk. Kate sighed as she saw the back of a man's head that could've only been her older sister, Diane's, fiancee. She'd never met him, but if she new her stuck up, prude sister she figured he was prickish in every way.

Taking a deep breath she opened the door and put on a smile. She'd never let her parents ever see her unhappy. She wanted to slip by this week as invisible as she could.
 
Ryan was having a hard time fitting in. He knew it, Diane knew it and worse she still loved to drag him to this sort of thing. Now here he was in the most elaborately decorated and most fastidiously manicured back yard that he'd ever seen.

It had to be his connections, that was the only thing he could figure. He was a relatively successful architect in a fair to middling firm until the day that he'd been elevated by some stroke of genius, at least that was how the partners viewed it, and what he had thought was a fairly simple and straightforward application of pretty practical engineering had thrown the entire place into upheaval, and brought him under scrutiny he'd never before experienced, nor wanted.

It must have been the unveiling, that's where they'd met, at he new hospital wing, he was sure of it. He wasn't even entirely sure what Diane did with her days, only that she was somehow involved in medical research, but whether it was legal or procedural, or if she was just a lab tech he couldn't be sure. What he was sure if, was the more time he spent around her, the less likely he felt suited to be attached to her. It was a predicament.

While he wasn't certain what she did with her days, he was certain of the things she didn't do with her nights. Since they'd been dating, he'd had about the most lackluster sex life that he ever had. She was pretty in a plain sort of way, wholesome even, but between the sheets she was strictly vanilla and had to struggle to maintain his interest with her below average performances, that is on the nights they had sex at all.

They had arrived the previous evening, and Diane was feeling frisky, at least for her. Perhaps it was being back home that did it, but she askednifnhe wanted to make love... It was always making love with her... Never fucking, screwing or sucking, which he was increasingly missing. So he dutifully took his position above her and started sawing away until she let out the tiny squeak that indicated she was done with his services for the day. He didn't cum. He rarely did, and when he did it was a messy ordeal for her, one to be dealt with, not luxuriated in.

He sighed at the memory. Now they were engaged and seemingly there was no way out of his predicament. Talking had been a non-starter and any suggestion that she be creative or experimental was taken as a personal affront.

He continued being toured around the room to the family members he hadn't yet met, a trophy in a line if succession. he was being off and they both knew it. It was intimidating, humiliating. This whole scenario- the house-their enourmous summer place-was intimidating, the family was intimidating. Ryan found himself looking around for a means of escape.
 
Katherine Jennings

Invisible had been what Kate had been aiming for, but she found herself instantly in the limelight.

”Here she is, now!”

Her father’s enthusiastic greeting prompted all eyes to turn around and focus upon her.

Thankful that her smile was firmly fixed in place, Kate made her unhurried progress towards the lawn where they were all assembled, all too aware that her every move was to be scrutinised as the ‘black sheep’ returned. As she had expected her mother barely concealed her disapproval. Having just arrived Kate was dressed in very ‘inappropriate’ black jeans and an equally figure hugging and - to her mother’s eyes - low cut white top. Flanking her mother were Uncle Leon and Aunt Rose,
(he being a randy older brother of her father’s and his wife being the silently disapproving type);
behind them were other family members she vaguely recognised as being cousins from her mother’s side who she assumed were invited due to their good ‘connections’.

Finally she spotted her sister stood to the far side and once again Kate was struck anew at the difference between the two of them. Although only 3 years her senior, to her mind Diane looked many more years her senior. Diane’s outfit was immaculate as was her hair and make-up. She constantly had the air of a society fashion plate and moved and talked just the way which was expected. Diane was everything their mother had wanted from a daughter and though Katherine was confident in her own world and her own environment she felt very much out of place in what should have felt like the bosom of her family.

”Welcome home, Katie…”

As her father embraced her, she saw Diane’s face harden. Her sister envied her their father’s easy indulgence and favour and obviously resented the fact that Kate’s arrival had taken the limelight away from her and no doubt from her fiancé .

”I haven’t had time to change yet daddy. I just arrived.”

She told him apologetic to him at least.

”No need, no need. We’re all family here, or soon to be … “

Kate found herself guided closer to where her sister stood, triumph obvious on Diane’s face as their father prompted.

”Well, then Diane, introduce Katie to her brother-in-law-to-be ..”

Diane’s face relaxed into a smug smile as she drew him forward and Kate could tell that she was more than eager to show off her conquest.

”This is Ryan …”

She introduced proudly.

”Ryan this is Katherine, my sister.”

Even to Kate’s ears it sounded as if Diane regretted the closeness of their connection.

”Nice to meet you Ryan,”

Kate began extending her hand towards the guy she had expected would be a prize dick. And he did look the part, clothes wise, even held himself as she would expect any fiancé of Diane’s to; yet as he took her hand and shook it somehow she realised he wasn’t quite what she had expected.

”Welcome to the family,”

She told him smoothly enough, even as she wondered uncharitably how Diane had managed to snare such a good looking guy. Somehow he didn’t look her usual lawyer/stock-broker/accountant type at all. His handshake was firm, but if his body language was anything to go by he seemed less than comfortable surrounded by the full complement of the family.

”Ryan’s a famous architect.”

Her mother stated as she moved to Diane’s side, unconsciously taking her side against Kate and her father.
(No hello or welcome from THAT parent, she noticed.)

”Your father tells us that you have a young man,”

This from her uncle who took great relish in kissing and embracing her despite the fact she had hardly seen him in more than the past 5 years.

”I have several … “

She told him smoothly as she focused upon accepting a tall glass of pimms from the tray held out to her.

”Katherine!”

Her mother admonished in shock, not letting the presence of others from treating Kate like the teenager which at the age of 22 she no longer was.

” … I date guys, mother, ... there’s nothing wrong with that … “

She clarified with a barely concealed sigh.
She was tempted to retort more strongly, but was all too aware of Ryan’s presence and didn't want to make a scene.

”… a girl has to have a social life … “

She commented diplomatically instead as she took a long drink from her glass.
What was she doing? This was not the way to keep beneath the radar!
But fuck it, she was not going to be held up for comparison with her sister. Good for Diane if she wanted to get married, but Kate was more than happy with a much more ‘casual’ approach to her love life.

”I’ll just go say hi to Brooke,”

She excused herself gratefully already feeling like battle lines were forming. It never failed to astound her just how dysfunctional her family seemed compared to the easy-going world which had become the norm for Kate.

”Heyyy… Rookie … “

The greeting between these two sisters was a stark contrast: The younger gave a squeal and dropped her phone, the two embraced laughing obviously thrilled to be together again.

Kate would have loved nothing better than to sneak off to the rose bower and catch up with her younger sister, but that would have been too much to ask.
She knew she could not escape the ‘adults’ for long, but for long moments she and Brooke exchanged news, Brooke about school and Kate about her studies and to confirm that yes, this time she was staying for the full week only be informed that she’d been put in the newly converted 'attic room'.

”Don’t let mom here you call it that,”

Kate scolded lightly.

”I’m sure that she has an altogether more appropriate name for that part of the house now.”

The two laughed at their mother's pretentious nature. Actually Kate was more than pleased by the rooms she had been given; at least it seemed that she would have a bit of privacy, be a retreat of sorts, though she doubted that she would be able to avoid the family politics that seemed to characterise every such gathering nowadays.

hayden-panettiere-nbc-hereos-hot-sexy-pretty-cute-pics-pictures-photos-cheerleader-blonde-blond-hair-cut-style-wavy-straight-mtv-short-claire-tv-show-celeb-gossip-blog-latest-news-chica.jpg
 
Last edited:
When she was introduced as Diane's sister, Ryan took her hand and gripped it firmly, warmly and he flashed her a smile. He flashed her a genuine smile, not the mask that he'd worn since everyone had started showing up. They exchanged a few innocuous words to one another and he thanked her for her congratulations and welcome.

Hard as it was, he watched interestedly the mutual disdain and distrust between the two women. They obviously held eachother in much the same light, the other somehow not fitting into the worldview of each. While he knew Diane's loathing was genuine and her feelings towards Katie verging on outright anger, Katie's response was different somehow. While Di treated her sister with mistrust and jealously, Katie looked back with a view that was almost a satire of the exchange, somehow throwing back in Di's face her own emotions in a kind of mockery. He loved it.

She was cute too, not unlike her sister, in a not over the top or intimidating kind of way, but in a girl-next-door but still has the attention of every college guy in a 30mile radius sort of way. Diana tried so hard to align herself with a standard set notion of attractiveness.

At the very least Katherine appeared the sort that he might have a real conversation with. Perhaps he'd seek her out later. And he knew he would have to seek her out as the animosity between the two sisters was palpable and somehow he knew that Diane would never go for the two of them just casually hanging out and shooting the shit. Kat had the appearance of being a bad influence-at least in the eyes of Diane, and the rest of the family contingent by how things seemed to be going. She had somehow drawn the ire of so many present. That was a recommendation in and of itself.

He watched her walking away, though he tried being discrete as he was being scrutinized from all sides, he had to admit that he liked the view of her walking away quite a bit; even more than the view of her coming up.

While he surreptitiously watched the encounter between the two younger sisters, Brooke and Katie, his notions about her were cemented. She was obviously a caring and compassionately, if playful and footloose kind of woman. He liked that about her. He would definitely try for a few stolen moments in her company. Of the whole crowd, finally here was someone he could have a real conversation with. He had to wonder, if standing next I Diane already sealed Katherine's notions about him. Certainly Diane had a 'type' of guy that she usually brought home. The more time in her company, he felt it to a greater and greater extent. He was an outcast and nothing threw that into such stark relief as standing around this field with all the landed gentry in the county, a smile permanently adhered to his face, and a ramrod so far up his ass that he wouldn't be able to sit unless he was at drill sergeant attention every moment that he was with the rest of the family.

It was short lived, the time period for which he wasn't center stage. Ryan was wondering if perhaps he would have any moments of peace for the remainder of the week. Before the rest of everyone had shown up, in those blissful few days when they more or less had the place to themselves, he had been loving it. He was even starting to think that he could get used to hanging out in a big old house next to the ocean. He could really get used to laying back in the hammock with a beer, going for a jog along the sand in the early morning, before Diane awoke, or just sitting around with his notebook sketching.

Now though, he turned back to the uncle, or was this a cousin--damn, he couldn't even recall--as he rambled on and on about something, some sport or other, maybe football. To be honest though he wasn't really following, and he had no time for people who dedicated so much of their lives to watching men throw around balls on the television. He nodded at intervals that seemed appropriate, still smiling, still with an arm around Diane's waist.

He felt wooden, his body stiff and sore, his words stale and staid. This was going to be a very long week. He thought again about trying to snatch some time alone, about sneaking off to the drink table for another scotch, the better to drown his sorrows, or even going off to the pool where he could literally drown his sorrows. He nodded his head dutifully, smiling.
 
Kate

Much as Kate wished she could just slip away, she knew that she would never be forgiven for such an action.

”How’s granny?”

She asked Brooke and hugged her younger sibling as she related just how ill their grandmother had gotten. There was nothing either of them could say to comfort the other. Losing a woman they both loved so much was going to be beyond painful. Most important now was that gran was as comfortable and happy that she could be during the time she had left.

”Diane’s upset about it though.”

The tone of Brooke’s voice made Kate doubt the sincerity of the words.

”Oh really…?”

She queried uncertainly.

”Sure, she wants granny to hold on as long as possible … or pop off in good time so that her wedding numbers don’t get fucked up.”

Kate only just stopped herself from responding with a shocked, “Brooke!”, but there was no way that SHE was going to end up like her mother.

”Even Diane can’t be that cold.”

Kate responded her gaze drawn back to where Diane and her fiancé were talking to cousin Martin. Martin was football freak and she almost laughed aloud at the barely concealed boredom on the fiancé, on Ryan’s face. (She mentally allocated him his name.)

”What does granny think of Ryan?”

Kate asked as she unashamedly watched her sister with her husband-to-be move away from Martin only to be cornered by her mother.

”Diane’s not been to see granny since she arrived.”

Brooke told her drawing Kate’s attention instantly.

”What? You are kidding!?!”

Even as she challenged the veracity of that statement, Kate could well imagine that Diane would not want to be seen in the ‘sick room’.

”Not even getting married has changed her then.”

Kate observed quietly.
Jeeze, how was she going to stick this for a week?

”I need a drink.”

Kate told her sister, adding;

”When you get old enough, you’ll understand that some situations call for nothing less than spirits.”

She gave Brooke a quick hug and reluctantly moved back towards the group, taking a detour to the drinks table.

”Screwdriver, heavy on the vodka Simmons.”

The conspiratorial grin towards the man she had grown to know so well over the years took the edge off her order which otherwise her mother would have been proud of.

” … and keep them coming … “

She added, then laughed seeing the expression on the older man’s face.

”You don’t approve?”

She challenged good naturedly, becoming intrigued as he cast a quick look towards the group and decided to risk speaking further.

”It’s not for me to say Miss, but …. You might want to keep your wits about you for dinner this evening … “

The warning was cryptic, but the message clear.
It must be that her mother was match making again.

”Fuck it … “

She swore in a most unladylike way.

”My thoughts exactly Miss.”

Despite the situation, Kate could not repress the urge to giggle, managing only just to control her mirth after having taking a long drink from the glass she had been handed only to realise belatedly that Simmons had taken her at her word and indeed mixed a drink of epic strength …
 
'Ambushed, fuck!' Is all that Ryan was thinking as Margaret grabbed him by the elbow, spinning him about. When he completed his little turn, he was face to face with her, 'Margie', as he'd personally come to think of her, especially now that he had come to realize how much she disdained the moniker. She ran her hands up his biceps and over his wide shoulders, making Ryan think his impression about her was right: Margie was taking some vicarious pleasure in the engagement. She's been making eyes at Ryan all week, in a manner that didn't particularly suit a mother-in-law to be. He figured she was just a couple vodka tonics away from patting him on the ass.

She immediately reached up to straighten his collar, his tie, and the orchid stuck through his button hole. He loomed over her, his broad shoulders and thick chest dwarfing her diminutive stature, and at 5'10" it took Margie standing on tiptoes to be able to smooth back his mop of unruly curling dark hair.

At first he had used their size difference to his advantage, sticking out his chest subtly and standing straighter, hoping that he could intimidate some of the bossiness out of her. It would seem however that his plan had backfired, and instead she was rather enjoying standing so near and touching her son to be.

He let out a sigh, that he hoped was unnoticed and allowed himself to be groomed. They made small talk and she went on to point out the relatives that he still "just had to meet..." He hoped that his olive complexion, and the trimmed beard that covered his chin was enough to disguise the tightening of his jaw.

"Margaret, I hate to interrupt, and I know that there are so many more people here to meet, but I just have to get to the washroom. We'll talk soon though, and you can introduce me to the rest of them. Great party by the way."

Before she could respond, he turned to go and as he walked away he could feel her eyes on his back. He went straight to the bar.

Smiling to the keeper, he looked over the bottles lined up there.
"Hey, can I get a scotch? And I'm going to make it two. The first I'll take as a shot, the second mixed with water. Good?" Ryan tossed back the first drink when it hit the bar top, and the second was in his hand when he noticed how good a liquor it was. "Hey thanks...needed that."

Only then, did he turn and realize that he was standing beside Kate.

"Hey, you're the little sister right? Katherine was it? Or do you go by Katie?" The words were coming out in a nervous rush and he was plainly waiting for the first drink to kick in.
 
Kate sipped her drink and watched her mother grooming her son-in-law-to-be. Her mother was by no means short, but the sight of her sister's hunk of a fiancé being submitted to such obviously unwelcome attentions did much to boost Kate's spirits. Used though she was by her mother's persistence, she was still astounded by the woman's resilience as Ryan managed to make good his escape. Moving aside as he made his move towards the drinks table, mainly to hide her mirth at his plight she eavesdropped upon his ordering of and rapid consumption of the first scotch.

Only after downed the first did he notice and speak to her.

"Hey, you're the little sister right? Katherine was it? Or do you go by Katie?"

She shook her head as she watched him with interest. He wasn't Diane's usual type and though he wasn't the usual dull dote who dragged along after her elder sister, she realised that despite favourable appearances, the very fact that they were engaged put him into the 'prick' category.

"No. Brook is the little sister."

She clarified pointedly.

"And it's Kate."

She took a sip from her glass and openly let her gaze travel over him.

"You're not what I expected."

She told him succinctly.

"I hope for your sake that you only look good, cos if you have an ounce of intellect you'll be driven crazy by the end of this week, or reduced to a mindless zombie."

She laughed as she glanced back towards the family gathering.

"Between mom and Diane, they'll soon have you knocked into shape though."

She told him with mock sympathy, then laughed outright at his expression.

"They're control freaks, the lot of 'em."

She had moved closer to him as they stood seemingly companionably enough with their respective drinks and took in the sight of the family.

"Be prepared to lose your personality all ye who enter here!"

She intoned with an irreverent laugh as she threw back the remains of her drink.

"You must sure love Diane to put yourself through this?"

Somehow it was a question rather than a statement.

"But then I never was the bring-the-boyfriend-home-to-meet-the-family sort."

She informed him, wondering what Diane had told him about her, if anything.

" ... I'm not sure I'd even put a fiancé through this circus. I'd rather elope."

She told him only half joking.
 
Somehow he had escaped scrutiny, if only for a few moments. Or perhaps it was just that the eyes watching from the crowd assumed that he was being appropriately grilled by Kate.

He turned to her, looking into her face searchingly. Pursing his lips for an instant he asked, "How do I know you're not as soul sucking and backstabbing as the rest of them, and as soon as I start spilling my guts to you, you'll run off to your evil overlord mother and report back, like any good evil flying monkey?

"Gods, i am horrible. Listen to me. Another scotch and I'll start speaking truth like you've never heard before. " he took another sip from the scotch and water in his grip.

He felt suddenly like he was no longer at some job interview. "Different? Someday you're going to have to tell me how I'm different...but not tonight, not until you've gotten to know me at least a little bit better, okay? I mean, I have a pretty good idea just from looking around...but I'd like to hear your take."

"Zombie..." He let the word hang between them a moment before he went on. "Honestly I feel like she is a little different at home, at least I think she is. Maybe she's different here, or maybe I am. All I know is that the woman I started dating is not in this garden. But maybe I'm the one feeling different. All I know is that I want to scream.

"Shit, you're the sister. I should be making small talk with you. Perhaps I just don't real grasp that Diane even has sisters. I know this won't be a big surprise to you, but Diane doesn't talk about you all that much.

"Look, can we talk about something else. Let's change the subject. I'm tired of discussing such heavy matters, and you certainly don't need to listen to me. Hell, I'm talking about your sister for gods sake. It's going to take more than a scotch to make me spill all the beans.

"so what do you think the big announcement is going to be. There seems to be so much secrecy around the place. It can't be about the engagement. That's no secret, and besides Margie and Diane have spent all afternoon spreading that around to anyone who would listen."
 
"How do I know you're not as soul sucking and backstabbing as the rest of them, and as soon as I start spilling my guts to you, you'll run off to your evil overlord mother and report back, like any good evil flying monkey?"

He asked her making her laugh rather than offending her by his question.

"If you haven't realised that I'm 'persona non-grata' around here with my mother than you can't be as bright as I thought."

She told him matching his honesty.

"Gods, i am horrible. Listen to me. Another scotch and I'll start speaking truth like you've never heard before. "

She too sipped at a second, weaker drink which Simmons discretely had provided her with.

"You don't wanna do that. You'll never fit in here if you tell the truth."

She commented biting back a sigh as he wondered what she had meant by saying that he was 'different'. Both their gazes rested on Diane as she stood beside her mother.

"Honestly I feel like she is a little different at home, at least I think she is. Maybe she's different here, or maybe I am. All I know is that the woman I started dating is not in this garden. But maybe I'm the one feeling different. All I know is that I want to scream."

Katie made no comment. She didn't want to be drawn on commenting about her sister to Diane's fiancé.

"Shit, you're the sister. I should be making small talk with you. Perhaps I just don't real grasp that Diane even has sisters. I know this won't be a big surprise to you, but Diane doesn't talk about you all that much."

Diane gave him a cryptic look.

"You do surprise me."

She commented, but did not explain further.

"Look, can we talk about something else. Let's change the subject. I'm tired of discussing such heavy matters, and you certainly don't need to listen to me. Hell, I'm talking about your sister for gods sake. It's going to take more than a scotch to make me spill all the beans."

Katie didn't want to know what was going on, or not, between Diane and her fiancé.
It sounded like a less than perfect arrangement, but then any guy would feel stifled by their annual family reunion.

"... so what do you think the big announcement is going to be. There seems to be so much secrecy around the place. It can't be about the engagement. That's no secret, and besides Margie and Diane have spent all afternoon spreading that around to anyone who would listen."

She sighed then.

"I rather suspect that the supposed surprise is going to involve me."

She told him surprised that he had picked up on the undertones of her mother's parental manipulation.

"She's done something similar before, but now Diane's engaged, she obviously thinks it's more than time that I find someone 'suitable to settle down with' ... "

She mimicked her mother's pretentious tones.

"There'll be a sudden appearance of some 'suitable young man' at some stage during the proceedings."

She predicted.

"Then mom will get angry because I'll have no interest in him and Diane will hate me for taking the limelight off you two and generally it will all end in tears."

She shook her head.

"Mom's idea of 'suitable' is a guy with a successful career, money of course and if possible a bit of social credibility ... a guy who would be more than eager to marry and fulfil his duty by monthly-light-off-marital-relations and fathering the 2.4 quota of children, ideally one boy, one girl and whatever else comes ... "

She knocked down her drink as if indicating her disgust.

"NOT what I'm interested in Ryan."
 
Last edited:
"Oh shit, really?" The glass shook in his grip as he withdrew his other hand from a pocket and took a step backwards, bumping the table laden with bottles of drink. Ryan received the news as an almost physical blow and around him the bottle rattled together. "That still happens? Where the hell are we...medieval Europe?"

"I mean you're still young yet, right, still in school? And in school, well you must be meeting all sort of guys. Surely there's someone out there that you'd find 'suitable'", he finished using the same mimicking tones.

"I remember meeting all kinds of people in school. Most of them I couldn't stand, but a few I still stay in touch with. And there were plenty of women in the mix, suitable ones and not so suitable ones." He got a far away look in his eyes for a minute before he went on. "I'll tell you this though. Not that I'm trying to put any pressure on you in the least, that's the last thing I want to do, but it does get considerably harder to meet people once out of university. You're just not thrown into the mix with so many varied people ever again after that. Pretty much you hang out with some coworkers and....that's pretty much the only people that you see day in and day out. I just celebrated my 30th birthday...and by celebrate I mean toasting myself quietly and masturbating in private while your big sis was still at work. Now I'm being morose."

He smiled ruefully. "Maybe that's why Diane appeared to be such a good option....she was there..." Smiling genuinely now though he went on, "Though I still haven't figure out what we're going to do about that .4 of a kid, or is it .6? Hell, I'm not even ready for one. Don't know that I'm ready for one. Don't know that I'll ever be." Still seated on the edge of the drinks table where he'd stumbled backwards, he leaned forward conspiratorially. "And don't tell anyone...but I loathe picket fences! I'm still ready to have a little more fun. At least I thought I was. Diane seems to have very different ideas about what 'fun' means."

Just then the little knots of people chatting about the garden started breaking up and heading into the massive home. By some unspoken agreement they all started heading off to dinner. A flush of cattle heading to the gates. "Well I guess its show time." Ryan shifted forward to get to his feet, looking over the crowd to find his fiancé, still huddled in conversation with his mother-in-law to be. Pausing he turned to look Kate in the eye, "Hey, so I don't want to be weird, but. I feel like this is the only real conversation I've had all day. Thanks. And good luck in there, okay, I wish there was something I could do to help." He didn't touch her, put a hand on her shoulder or anything else so intimate. He smiled though, a real, happy grin lifting one corner of his mouth before he turned to seek out Diane, drink in hand, before they both went inside.
 
"Oh shit, really? That still happens? Where the hell are we...medieval Europe?"

She laughed at his shocked reaction. He obviously had no idea.

"I mean you're still young yet, right, still in school? And in school, well you must be meeting all sort of guys. Surely there's someone out there that you'd find 'suitable'"

She shrugged and commented.

"You almost sound like 'them'. I'm young yet? Find someone suitable?"

She laughed as she mimicked him.

"I date lots of guys, I have fun, I'm not looking to 'settle' in any way. And why should I?"

She challenged.

"I remember meeting all kinds of people in school. Most of them I couldn't stand, but a few I still stay in touch with. And there were plenty of women in the mix, suitable ones and not so suitable ones.... I'll tell you this though. Not that I'm trying to put any pressure on you in the least, that's the last thing I want to do, but it does get considerably harder to meet people once out of university. You're just not thrown into the mix with so many varied people ever again after that. Pretty much you hang out with some coworkers and....that's pretty much the only people that you see day in and day out."[/I]

She had no intention of going into a 9 to 5 job. She intended to continue meeting plenty of interesting types after university, but with her family she could afford to. She didn't think it politic to mention that just at that moment when they were having a decent conversation.

"I just celebrated my 30th birthday...and by celebrate I mean toasting myself quietly and masturbating in private while your big sis was still at work. Now I'm being morose."

Kate was shocked at the nature of what he had told her about himself, but could not help thinking that her sister was a fool!

"Maybe that's why Diane appeared to be such a good option....she was there..."

It didn't seem like a good reason to marry, but then most people didn't think like she did.

"Though I still haven't figure out what we're going to do about that .4 of a kid, or is it .6? Hell, I'm not even ready for one. Don't know that I'm ready for one. Don't know that I'll ever be."

She laughed.

"You joined the wrong family then. As soon as you exchange rings there will be a constant watch set until the first sprog is on the way."

She warned him.

"And don't tell anyone...but I loathe picket fences! I'm still ready to have a little more fun. At least I thought I was. Diane seems to have very different ideas about what 'fun' means."

She giggled.

"She always did. Sure I'm younger than her, but she was never really ... fun ... and always playing 'bossy-elder-sister' when we were little. Thankfully she just tries to ignore my existence now."

Despite her bravado, her elder sister's rejection of her still hurt.

"Well I guess its show time."

Ryan's words alerted her to the fact that they were all heading in doors.

"Hey, so I don't want to be weird, but. I feel like this is the only real conversation I've had all day. Thanks. And good luck in there, okay, I wish there was something I could do to help."

She smiled genuinely liking the guy.

"You're welcome Ryan. If you ever need a little sister to lend a sympathetic ear, then ... feel free ... "

She offered watching as he moved across to join Diane. She watched as she threw a look in Kate's direction, but Kate schooled her features not to react at the scowl that was clearly directed at her. She could just imagine her warning Ryan off talking to Katie.

"You are going to change, Katherine?"

Her mother's disapproving tones drew her attention.

"Of course mother ... I'll just go to my room ... "

Without any demonstration of affection, Kate crossed the lawn and went into the house heading upstairs to the attics where she found her luggage.

"Fucckkk..... "

She felt claustrophobic already and she wouldn't be able to see her gran until the following day. In the meantime she would conform and attempt not to draw attention to herself. A shower and a makeover later, she was looking much more 'suitable' as she vowed that she would just 'endure' the evening whatever plans her mother chose to act out upon her.
 
Ryan affixed a mask over his countenance. All he needed was to make it through the meal and he could escape to bed. He was hoping that after the grand assembly and welcome today, that the remainder of the week would be more casual and not quite so burdensome. As he walked up the steps and inside he found himself wanting to disappear outside for a while and to collapse back into the hammock there with a beer in hand and watch the light fade from the sky.

Inside he was ushered to a table near the head of the room, under massive chandeliers, and as in some banquet hall of yore Diane and he were seated on a dias overlooking the rest of the commoners. No one sat across from him, but instead he was able to see the entire expanse of the room. He sat at the end of the table, beside Diane who had Margie on her opposite side, Diane's father, then an empty seat with a young looking man in it and finally way at the other end sat Brooke, a model of decorum.

Drinks were being circulated, and a sommelier made the rounds, discoursing on the vintage red that had been unearthed from the cellar. They had a sommelier...

Courses came and went: an appetizer of little shrimps stuffed with bread and herbs, cradled in what he assumed was meant to be a decorative flourish of a lettuce leaf. They were quite tiny to begin with, and his serving--two only made his stomach growl in a manner he desperately hoped was not audible to his stuffy neighbors.

At some point he rose from his seat, giving Diane a smile and her hand a small squeeze as he did. Locking eyes in what he hoped was an apologetic manner as he excused himself to the washroom.

When he got there he shut the door and leaned back against it, closing his eyes and tilting his head back against the raised panel of the wood. There he paused, for what seemed like a long while but was more than likely just a handful of moments. Ryan went to the sink and splashed water on his face, then felt around for the neatly folded towel to rub over his skin.

He stood there for a minute longer, staring at his reflection in the mirror. Out loud he asked, "what am I doing here?" There was no responding voice in or out of his head.

When he returned to the dining room, he found that Kate had appeared, taking the seat between her father and the as yet unnamed young gentleman. "Here we go," thought Ryan as he found his seat once more.
 
The first indication Kate had that something was wrong is that her mother did not scold her for being late down to dinner. The courses were already well underway, she noted as she entered the vast dining room, her face schooled into passivity, though she knew that they could have lingered over aperitifs and canapés had they wished to wait for her.

”Sorry I’m late. As you know I went to change.”

Despite herself there was a faint accusation in her words, but she smiled at her father as he rose and gestured for her to take the one free seat beside him and …
Kate froze as she recognised the man who was to sit at her right.

”Hugh was an old classmate of your sister’s, don’t you remember Kathryn?”

Kate looked across at her mother but made no response.

”He’s to be one of Ryan’s ushers.”

She gave a tenuous reason for him being present at what was a family dinner.
Kate allowed Hugh to lean forward and take her hand, even kiss her cheek.

”What a surprise, Hugh.”

She commented ironically.

”Laura isn’t with you this evening?”

She asked pointedly referring to his long time girl friend.

”They broke up. 6 months ago. Isn’t that a shame?”

Her mother’s voice, however delivered the news as if it were the most wonderful thing ever.

”Tragic.”

Kate responded in monotone, catching Ryan's eye and giving him a 'told-you-so' look.

She had suspected she would be paired with someone, but was less than impressed by her mother's choice. Hugh was definitely respectable and definitely dull! How could they possibly have thought that she would have any interest whatsoever in Hugh Montford? Was she now to be subjected to putting up with Lanky Laura’s left-overs? Biting back a sigh and aware that her mask had slipped already, Kate allowed her glass to be filled with the fine red wine and rebelled faintly by calling for the shrimp appetiser she had missed and putting the fine running of the meal out of kilter.

”I only arrived this afternoon,”

She explained charmingly to the annoyingly attentive Hugh.

”Haven’t had a thing to eat since starting on the drive down.”

She explained and was instantly forgiven causing such inconvenience by her mother simply by the fact that Kate was willing to talk to the chosen ‘beau’.

Conversation and courses followed. Kate knew the routine by rote. In fact to some extent it became a game to lavish attention on the somewhat lacklustre young man beside her who fancied he even had a chance with her. She had attempted to dress to blend in, but it seemed that Hugh could not take his eyes off the scooped neckline of the sky blue dress; its capped sleeves and calf level length were demure, but with Kate’s shape, it was inevitable that the bodice would set of her cleavage to advantage and that the ribbon at the waist would accentuate the hour glass silhouette she was unable to disguise even with haute couture. When Hugh resorted to the line which observed just how much she’d ‘grown up’ she didn’t know whether to laugh or cry!

Whilst Kate had slowed down her consumption of alcohol needing to keep her wits about her, Hugh alas had not. In fact time and again, Kate caught Simmons’ eye and he accordingly topped up Hugh’s glass just a little bit more until Hugh had totally lost count of just how much wine he had consumed. Mentally Kate branded him a lightweight, but externally she smiled sweetly as Hugh became more animated and even bolder, taking her hand, reaching out to touch her hair and even kissing her cheek at one point. Kate thought with detachment that she should get an Oscar for such an acting feat. She could see that her father was less than impressed by their young guest, but her mother was thrilled and did everything she could to draw attention away from Kate’s side of the table and allow Hugh to ‘press his advantage’ which is how she interpreted the situation.
 
Ryan found himself staring at the light fixtures that ran the length of the room, the wall, hangings and curtains. He was thinking that he would have a few moments in which he could converse with Diane. Unfortunately she was completely engrossed in the little drama that was unfolding a few seats to her right. Any time that he ties to engage her in chat, he was shushed and Diane returned her attention to Kathryn and Hugh. She wasn't even available to explain the convoluted course system that was unfolding before him. It was clearly second nature to most in the room, but to Ryan it was completely foreign.

Margie too was equally enthralled. But whereas their mother was nothing but encouraging about what she hoped would be a budding romance, Diane wore a scowl. It was a subtle scowl, but all the signs were there for someone who knew her moods. Apparently Kate had been right. And Diane, far from being interested in the personal affairs of her little sister, was mostly intrigued with how the tableaux was to effect her own life.

By contrast Kate seemed to be enjoying herself. Perhaps it was acting, and if it was it was quite good. Perhaps she was playing a game with herself and with her dinner date. If that was the case, the he felt sorry for the poor sap. She was toying with him... He was in a worse place than Ryan was. At least Ryan knew that he was an outsider, that he wasn't going to fit in and that perhaps he ought to start looking for a way out. Damn, was he really thinking that way, that he wanted to abandon his engagement? Was he really that bad off? Perhaps he would think on it some more after the reunion was over, and they returned to a more normal life back at home.

He took another sip of his wine and lifted a forkful of stuffed chicken to his mouth. He chewed thoughtfully and glanced down the line past Diane and Margie to Kate. He had to admire her fortitude. Wait, was that what he was doing? Admiring her? Was is possible that he had a new friend in the room? He found himself noticing more about her, seemingly for the first time. She was clearly an intelligent and thoughtful, even playful young woman. And she was quite beautiful, the dress she wore quite clearly demonstrating that to anyone who wished to see. Smiling slightly he looked back down to his plate and using knife and fork pulled off another mouthful of meat.
 
Thankfully they finally came to coffee. By that time Kate was finding the whole dining experience claustrophobic. She declined the cup and rose from her seat excusing herself to the man by her side with an endearing smile. She had given him the impression that she would return soon and she would, but she had to get away before she screamed. Heading outside, she moved to the opposite side of the house and headed down to the pool, the lights still illuminating it even at this time of night. Uncaring of her gown she dropped down onto one of the loungers and lay back giving an audible "arrrrghhhhhh!" of frustration.

She would have to return she knew. And soon. But the cooler air and the silence after the overwhelming chatter of the dining room almost rung in her ears by comparison. She savoured her solitude for precious moments, until she became aware of approaching footsteps. Hugh must have followed her. Or perhaps it was her mother, or still worse her sister!? She looked around a smile fixed on her face as she prepared herself for whatever would follow ...
 
"You don't have to smile for me. I saw what went on in there." Ryan still had a wine glass in his hand, and he practically dropped into the lounge chair opposite where Kate was seated. "I only barely escaped unscathed myself. Though I think a part of me died back in there. Diana a least knows that I'm telling the truth when I say that coffee at this hour will keep me up all night. So from there it wasn't too big of a stretch to excuse myself. While I imagine I'll have to go back in in a while, I can at least hope that some of the others in there will begin departing as well." He sipped from his glass as he looked over Kate, wondering exactly how she had come out of the setup back indoors. The light emanating from the pool illuminated their faces from underneath, throwing blue rippling lines across their bodies.

With a look of genuine concern on his face, Ryan looked over at Kate and asked, "you don't want to talk about it, do you? It must really wear on you. Clearly this isn't your first rodeo, but it still must be tiring. Though if I had to guess, I'd say you were playing cat and mouse pretty effectively in there."
 
"You don't have to smile for me. I saw what went on in there."

She was surprised to see Ryan and even more surprised by the fact that she let the façade drop and lay back in the lounger as he came and sat opposite her and told her how he'd managed to escape.

"While I imagine I'll have to go back in in a while, I can at least hope that some of the others in there will begin departing as well."

She had been out there more than long enough, but she wasn't keen to return any more than he was and much as she was enjoying the solitude, she found she welcomed Ryan's company.

"... you don't want to talk about it, do you?"

His offer seemed genuine.

"It must really wear on you. Clearly this isn't your first rodeo, but it still must be tiring. Though if I had to guess, I'd say you were playing cat and mouse pretty effectively in there."

She sighed.

"Yeah, maybe I do ... "

She responded taking up his offer.

"But as for cat and mouse, I guess you're casting me as 'cat', 'cos poor Hugh doesn't have a clue ..."

She sighed.

"Hugh's in accountancy or some such."

She grimaced.

"Mom always wanted me to date him, but of course I didn't.
Then thankfully he hooked up with Laura and the pressure was off as they say.
I had no idea they'd broken up. Seems even Laura didn't want him ... "


She shrugged.

"But he's a pawn. So easily manipulated. Always was. I could hardly humiliate the guy, though. But if you make it into a game, it's somehow easier to survive."

She wondered what Ryan's 'survival strategy' was, but thought better than to ask.

"I was hoping that my mystery guest would at least have some balls."

She told him with exasperation.

"I could have at least got a quick fuck out of it ... maybe... "

She groaned.

"A week of celibacy. That's gonna kill me."
 
"I'd tell you that I understand, but that would be insulting us both. Clearly I haven't any kind of frame of reference to know what you're going through. My family always thought it best to have us kids out and fending for ourselves. It means I had to fight for everything I have, but it also means that I know how to fight for what I want." He shook his head then. "At least I think I remember how to fight."

After a moment of silence that grew between them, Ryan went on, "Hugh will be just fine...he's apparently dumb as a sack of rocks and it will take more than what you have him to break his heart. You though, you must get sick of trying to keep up the charade. Something's gotta give."

He upended the glass of wine into his mouth and set it down on a nearby table before collapsing back into the chair and letting out a gusty sigh of relief. "It feels so good to get outside, I can't believe I lasted that long in there." He lay back staring up at the sky, slowly mulling over her words. Then with a snort of laughter he started in again.


"A week... Try months on end sometimes. And then, on top of that, the sex that does come around once in a blue moon is only marginally more entertaining than watching paint dry. Hopefully your last guy, or perhaps it was a girl, was good enough to make the feeling last until you can get away from this place." He continue staring upwards as more and more stars came into being overhead, breathing in long unhurried breaths that set a calm tempo for the whole scene.
 
"I'd tell you that I understand, but that would be insulting us both. Clearly I haven't any kind of frame of reference to know what you're going through. My family always thought it best to have us kids out and fending for ourselves. It means I had to fight for everything I have, but it also means that I know how to fight for what I want... At least I think I remember how to fight."

Not for the first time she wondered what he and Diane had in common.

"Hugh will be just fine...he's apparently dumb as a sack of rocks and it will take more than what you have him to break his heart. You though, you must get sick of trying to keep up the charade. Something's gotta give."

She knew Hugh was used to 'bouncing back'. He barely noticed the hard knocks anymore she concluded. She smiled as he sighed audibly.

"It feels so good to get outside, I can't believe I lasted that long in there."

She laughed.

"I needed to find somewhere to go scream."

She told him.

"A week... Try months on end sometimes."

She couldn't believe what he was telling her!

"And then, on top of that, the sex that does come around once in a blue moon is only marginally more entertaining than watching paint dry."

She wanted to ask him what the fuck was he thinking planning to marry her sister. And more to the point, why wasn't her sister appreciating the fact that she had a guy who she, Kate wouldn't kick out of bed!

"Hopefully your last guy, or perhaps it was a girl, was good enough to make the feeling last until you can get away from this place."

She laughed.

"If only it worked like that. The more I get, the more I want.
Sure I had my 'quota' before leaving for this place, but ... "


She turned her attention to him.

"Ryan ... you really need to sort things out with Diane.
Or are you opting for a live of semi-celibacy?"


She hoped he wasn't offended.

"I know it's none of my business, but ... "

She simply couldn't understand it.

"How the hell do you cope?"

She laughed.

"I'm horny as hell just talking about it, even talking about not being able to do it ... "

She grinned at him.

"Cold showers for the both of us all week, it seems ... "
 
"Look, I only telling you all this because I know you're not going to scamper off and tell tales after me, but this is something you can tell your big sis, not that she would really believe you if you told her the sky was blue. But I think I am going to try working things out with her. At the very least I'm going to get her out of the vipers nest and think long and hard about the type of person she really is, at least who she is when it's just the two of us.

"And as for the sex, well, I've been working on her to be more open, maybe even a little more creative." He laughed then, "you should have seen the hideous example of lingerie that she brought home one time. Unfortunately I think my laughing when she tried to show it off didn't do my case any good. Anyway though, I want to talk to her and see how it goes. I'm not calling off the engagement just yet, but I need to find out where we stand together, and if we stand together."

"And as to how I cope...well I masturbate just about daily. More than once if I have the chance..." He laughed a little, at the situation they found themselves in, and at himself for turning into such a pariah.

"I'm sorry your date night didn't pan out. I know what you mean about having expectations suddenly lowered, or pulled out from under you. Maybe we can plan on heading into town one night. At the very least it would be nice to get out and loosen up, better yet would be finding you a guy worth your evening." He smiled at her a little mischievously.

"I don't know how but I'm getting horny too. Perhaps it's not even talking about sex that's turning me on, but the simple fact that I can speak the truth openly to someone who apparently wants to listen." He sat up, looking around. Heck, I don't think I'm going to be able to wait til tonight for a cold shower, though that does sound like a good idea. I'm going for a swim." Ryan stood and immediately began to loosen his tie, his noose, from around his neck.
 
"Look, I only telling you all this because I know you're not going to scamper off and tell tales after me..."

He told her that he was going to try to work things out with Diane and she only hoped for her sister's sake that she would realise how serious Ryan was.

"And as for the sex, well, I've been working on her to be more open, maybe even a little more creative... you should have seen the hideous example of lingerie that she brought home one time. Unfortunately I think my laughing when she tried to show it off didn't do my case any good. Anyway though, I want to talk to her and see how it goes. I'm not calling off the engagement just yet, but I need to find out where we stand together, and if we stand together."

She frowned.

"Well if she's trying that's a good sign. But if you laughed at her I'm not surprised she's closed down around you. That's not a reaction I'd let any guy repeat."

She had guessed he jacked off regularly. How else could he manage?
She laughed at the weird situation of the two of them talking about their sex life!

"I'm sorry your date night didn't pan out. I know what you mean about having expectations suddenly lowered, or pulled out from under you. Maybe we can plan on heading into town one night. At the very least it would be nice to get out and loosen up, better yet would be finding you a guy worth your evening."

She laughed liking the idea, but thinking that it might be unlikely that Diane would agree to him playing truant or indeed being anywhere near Kate if she could help it.

"I don't know how but I'm getting horny too. Perhaps it's not even talking about sex that's turning me on, but the simple fact that I can speak the truth openly to someone who apparently wants to listen. Heck, I don't think I'm going to be able to wait til tonight for a cold shower, though that does sound like a good idea. I'm going for a swim."

She watched him pull at his tie.

"You're kidding right!?! Diane will go mental!"

She warned him.

"If you want to go skinny dipping wait until everyone's in bed. That's what I always do... "

She was sure they would both be missed and doubted anyone would be pleased if they were discovered together ..
 
He thought about what it would look like if the two of them were discovered together out here and alone, especially if they had ended up swimming together, even if he hadn't really intended that they go skinny dipping. He was wearing shorts afterall. But the thought of skinny dipping with Kate had caught his attention. He tried not to let his mind wander too far along that path.

He sat back down again, deflated, saying "you're probably right. Thing could go poorly for us if that were the case. I'm sure the queen of the realm has noticed our respective absences by now and they've been duly noted." He finished pulling off his tie and stuffed it into his jacket pocket. "Should we go see how the party is faring? Hugh must be looking for you, good luck with that by the way. And Diane is probably just starting to miss having me around. What do you think?"
 
"you're probably right. Thing could go poorly for us if that were the case.
I'm sure the queen of the realm has noticed our respective absences by now and they've been duly noted."


She had noted that he had an ever growing repertoire of nicknames for her mother.

"Should we go see how the party is faring? Hugh must be looking for you, good luck with that by the way. And Diane is probably just starting to miss having me around. What do you think?"

She stood slowly, reluctantly.

"I think if you were my fiancé, then I'd not have let you leave my side.
But then again we'd probably be down here working out our frustrations with a damn good fuck...."


She laughed.

"But as it is ... I guess we'd best get back. I do need to put Hugh straight at the very least ... "
 
"And I think I'm going to take that as a compliment...probably the first real one I've gotten in days. As to the fucking part though, something tells me I'm not going to be getting any action tonight. Not with the mood that Diane has sunk in to. She was downright sour when I left her."

Reluctant, he turned to go, wondering idly how it might look if they were to walk back in to the party together. He could sense her reluctance as well, though he wasn't about to point that out.

"Last I saw, your date was flirting with your mother. Perhaps you should try setting up the two of them. They obviously have a thing for eachother." He was only half joking as he walked closely by her side up the wide stone steps that led to the back of the house.
 
"And I think I'm going to take that as a compliment...probably the first real one I've gotten in days. As to the fucking part though, something tells me I'm not going to be getting any action tonight. Not with the mood that Diane has sunk in to. She was downright sour when I left her."

Kate wasn't surprised, but could imagine her sister being annoyed by Hugh's presence.

"Last I saw, your date was flirting with your mother. Perhaps you should try setting up the two of them. They obviously have a thing for eachother."

She laughed.

"Poor Hugh ... he doesn't deserve that."

She was still laughing as she looked up to see Diane stood at the top of the stone steps.

"Look who I found wandering the garden,"

She told Diane with a cheerful smile.

"See, told you I'd return you safe and sound ... "

She was speaking to Ryan, her face once more schooled not to betray her mirth.

"I must see Hugh ... "

She told them both and moved past the incensed Diane and into the lounge where she supposed Hugh would be. She doubted that he would be interested in kissing her, much less groping her, but surely she wasn't THAT desperate at least?
 
Back
Top