JL New Wave: The Challengers from Beyond! (IC)

Overclocked.

“I’m expendable. You’re not.” Kyle murmured – mostly to himself. But certain extra hearing skilled females that made his heart skip a little faster would easily hear him. “Not you.”

Hear him she definitely could.

And she laughed a broken laugh.

"I'm expendable. Of course I am."

"If-- when-- I die, the title of The Doctor is passed to another living human on Earth-14, and it's my turn to live on in their Garden of Ancestral Memory. The TARDIS is programmed to find them. Pass the torch... the mantle of responsibility."

She shook her head: "And what makes you think you're expendable? Your mind-- what's in your mind could save us all. I'm not going to let it die. Or the... or the face that's wearing it."

"Whoever they are... he, she, whatever their pronoun... they'll have to carry on the fight."

“Yeah, you still need proper sleep and a shower.” Kyle reminded her. “If need be, I’ll pin you to the bed till you fall asleep, and shove you into a shower afterwards. Clothes and all.” <Preferably naked so I can wash your back.>

"No," The Doctor shook her head.

And then she laughed softly-- "I mean, I'm not saying 'no' to getting pinned or... bathed by you. Always did have trouble scrubbing that acnestis. But no... there's more than that going on. I think... I think my Earth is scared to give me back my full power. Not that I blame her."

Jamie held up her fingers and wiggled them, turning the hand this way and that as though gazing into her very own cellular structure.

"I still have my senses. My telepathy, my temporal perceptions. Telekinesis. And I can still heal myself and others. Still remember all the knowledges of my mankind. But my power output... my ability to draw on my world's life-force to fashion any concept I can imagine... it's been sluice-gated-- limited. Maybe permanently."

Last edited:
Blue's foot and his mouth.

Firestorm said:
A pale yellow glow began to rise up from between her hands and then surrounded the whole shirt. One of the smaller scales disappeared and a small smile appeared on her face and the glow intensified becoming brighter and brighter, then suddenly it was gone and she held the item out to Blue. It glowed with a pale blue light as it reflected the glow coming off her, all it's scales glistening like new and the top fully repaired.

"There you go Blue, Hope that helps, now let me see that cloak of yours."

Blue grunted, taking the reformed shirt. He turned it over in his hands, whistling low. "Miraculous." He opened his mouth to say more, but went silent when Firestorm took his cloak. He wet his lips. He had no idea what she was doing or how she did it. These Mundies at least were more like the gods of the Homelands. Reforming one of the hardest, strongest, most durable substances in the Homelands with but a seconds consideration.

Firestorm said:
She picked up the cloak. Still she decided to try. Folding it she then placed it in her hands and again the glow appeared. This time a strained look appeared on her face and the glow did not intensify all that much, but slowly the bundle in her hands grew a little and then the glow faded away and she slumped exhausted.

"Well that was harder than I thought," She chuckled as she unwrapped the cloak. It revealed itself and she was amazed to see that it was actually back to full length. It didn't look right though. Certain parts of it looked richer and darker, while most of it just looked like a standard black cloak.

Blue nodded not sure how he felt.

Firestorm said:
"Looks like I wasn't able to repair it properly after all. Maybe it will fix itself now it has bits to grow to, we will just have to see."

Blue shrugged. It looked like what she'd done might have made things worse. "I don't think so. Healthy people can die of a broken heart." He sighed. ""Only the outside was finite. Maybe...my fault, but, well..." He trailed off, "Hate to be a downer." A smile floated up onto his face. "I should..." His hand disappeared into on of the true black portions of the cloak's inside that remained. "Yeah, I can get some of it...still..."

He retrieved a jade and bronze carafe that glowed faintly in the same way that Firestorm's golden light had. "It used to contain a friend of mine, until someone," Blue winked, "Wished it was filled with honey instead...endless quantities of it." He shrugged; his smile faltered and he held up his hand, "No, I didn't mean. My friend got out, she's not still in there..."

He shook his head. "Anyway! I got sick of the stuff a long, long time ago, but even if you don't, you might appreciate it. Kinda reminds me of you. Anyway. Thanks."

Later...
--- --- ---

firestorm said:
Sighing she looked over at the man they had just rescued and smiled. "Hey Ba-Kar my names Firestorm, glad you could join our little band although it is very sad the way you did."

"Oh Yeah, Ba-Kar, I'm Blue. Sorry it wasn't under better circumstances, but at least your Earth didn't get slagged." Blue shrugged. "That's something to be hopeful about. Most of us are just fighting for the dead, at least you get to fight for the living." He closed his mouth, then opened it. "Sorry, that sounded better in my head."

Last edited:
Jamie held up her fingers and wiggled them, turning the hand this way and that as though gazing into her very own cellular structure.

"I still have my senses. My telepathy, my temporal perceptions. Telekinesis. And I can still heal myself and others. Still remember all the knowledges of my mankind. But my power output... my ability to draw on my world's life-force to fashion any concept I can imagine... it's been sluice-gated-- limited. Maybe permanently."

“Would you be able to tell if you forgot just one thing?” Kyle mussed, watching her look at her wriggling fingers. “I mean, like one small tiny inconsequential detail? Say, the size of a screw on the back of a computer monitor. Or the 12th decimal place of a power cord to a recharger that hasn’t been used in twenty centuries?”

“Doctor’s make the worst patients,” he repeated with a shrug. "Your time/space ship. Do as you wish, won’t force you to stay here, but you do need real rest.”

Jon's eyes widened for a moment, and then he scrunched his nose slightly-- his eyebrows scrunching as he thought. "There were Daxamites in the files in The Fortress. Like Daxam was an old colony of Krypton-- or Krypton was an old colony of Daxam-- or something?"

"My, ah, bloodline," Jon tried to explain-- "my dad is Kryptonian. ...was Kryptonian. Superman. My mom was human. On the Earths I know of, there was a Supergirl who was a Kryptonian, but Superwoman was-- she was someone else. My aunt on the human side, but with powers."

"What was... Superwoman like where you're from?"

This brought a true grin out of Laurel. "Kala-El. Or Clarice Kent. In either persona when I met her after arriving on Earth, she was the paragon. The Standard of Heroism. Well, okay between her and the rest of the Trinity. Batwoman was the Darkest of them and Wondrous man of Elysium Island, until he was removed from the Guild. I did not know the other two very well, but Superwoman I got to know very well."

M'Onel sat down and gestured for Jon to join her. "I am the only individual in my universe to be able to say I met her for the first time twice. Confusing right? But with my history it makes sense. You see, we Daxamites get all the powers you Kryptonians have but Kryptonite doesn't hurt us. Lead on the other hand is really bad for us." Laurel looked at Jon.

"I was a fledgling hero using the name Andromeda, and Clarice was my mentor. She taught me what being a hero meant and I tried so hard to live up to it. In the aftermath of the Dominator lead invasion, a great many Earthers had had powers awakened in them. The cruel Dominators had done batch experimentation on the people of Earth. You see, on my Earth, humans possess what they named the Meta gene. A genetic survival trait that allows Humans to gain powers that are survival based due to any life threatening situation." Laurel remembered those people. How alone they has felt when separated from their "Batch mates".

"Superwoman and I came up with a solution. Mostly Clarice because I was starting to become slightly unstable," she made a face, "Early onset lead poisoning and all. So I left Earth and began to explore out in space. My condition improved the longer I was away. Long story short I helped the Batch folk find home worlds that they could colonize."

She smiled again at the younger man. "Not boring you too much I hope. But I will redact yet again. Cut forward to after I got the Batch folk to their new homes, I got really sick. Acted out. Kind of broke bad. The rest of the Guild wanted to contain me. Imprison me until I passed from the poisoning. Superwoman came to my aid again. She proposed putting me into the Phantom Zone until they could find a cure for me. Well, they never did. I became lost to history."

Again memories of that terrible period of eternity/nothingness caught up to her and she took a second to catch up. "This is where we get to the second first meeting. Cut ahead a thousand years. I was in the Phantom Zone so time kind of didn't mean anything. A team of young heroes, called the Legion of Super Heroes had found some old history logs about me. About half the team lost their minds about then." Laurel paused again. This was the part that really tended to mess her up.

"Remember the Batch folk? About half of those colonies turned me into some sort of Goddess. The rest made me out into the Devil. To keep the peace the team helped me change my looks and I became M'Onel, the wanderer. I was still brand new in that time period so I took an sabbatical to get to know my new home and time."

"While I was away Brainiac Five, or Querla Dox devised a serum that cured me of my lead poisoning. They also had the bright idea of offering membership in the team to their inspiration to become heroes. Seems Querla and Rona Vidar had also figured out time travel." she groaned remembering it.

"We were all just kids then. No one had any idea what we were doing. They went back and brought Clarice forward. They figured out a way to make her forget big details when she went back. Details like time travel. She retained the skills she would develop over the time she spent with us."

Another smile overcame Laurel's face. "She was a brat. Impulsive. Rash. Reminded me of me when Clarice trained me. She was like a kid sister I never had. She learned the hero trade from the Legion. We taught her and in turn she had inspired us. A thousand year gap and she was still able to inspire. THAT is what my world's Superwoman was like."

Shaman U.

“Would you be able to tell if you forgot just one thing?” Kyle mussed, watching her look at her wriggling fingers. “I mean, like one small tiny inconsequential detail? Say, the size of a screw on the back of a computer monitor. Or the 12th decimal place of a power cord to a recharger that hasn’t been used in twenty centuries?”

"My world is pretty high-tech," The Doctor drawled, "thank you Nikola Tesla and Waldo Glenmorgan and Jenny Steam, but we still haven't had chargers that long. I'll let you know in 19 centuries. But so long as someone remembered it at some point in the history of my world, I can remember their memories of it... screws included."

She paused.

"It's the missing power that's the problem. It significantly reduces our offensive and defensive capabilities..." she trailed off.

The Judex Luminary Authority had been some of the most powerful heroes in The Multiverse, rivaling even Justice Legion A of Earth-247's 853rd Century. In order to even hold a candle to them, you had to be able to face down whole armies by yourself. But that hadn't been a problem for her-- there had been no upward ceiling to her abilities, so long as there was life and breath in Earth-14. What was she without that power?

...she was still The Doctor.

“Doctor’s make the worst patients,” he repeated with a shrug. "Your time/space ship. Do as you wish, won’t force you to stay here, but you do need real rest.”

"No," she said simply, and honestly.

And she reached for his hand.

She had... she had just experienced planetary-level trauma.

And she had been... dramatically diminished.

Even with perfect enlightenment, she was still human.

"I just..." she mumbled, "...need to not be alone."

No resting on your laurels.

This brought a true grin out of Laurel. "Kala-El. Or Clarice Kent. In either persona when I met her after arriving on Earth, she was the paragon. The Standard of Heroism. Well, okay between her and the rest of the Trinity. Batwoman was the Darkest of them and Wondrous man of Elysium Island, until he was removed from the Guild. I did not know the other two very well, but Superwoman I got to know very well."

M'Onel sat down and gestured for Jon to join her. "I am the only individual in my universe to be able to say I met her for the first time twice. Confusing right? But with my history it makes sense. You see, we Daxamites get all the powers you Kryptonians have but Kryptonite doesn't hurt us. Lead on the other hand is really bad for us." Laurel looked at Jon.

"I was a fledgling hero using the name Andromeda, and Clarice was my mentor. She taught me what being a hero meant and I tried so hard to live up to it. In the aftermath of the Dominator lead invasion, a great many Earthers had had powers awakened in them. The cruel Dominators had done batch experimentation on the people of Earth. You see, on my Earth, humans possess what they named the Meta gene. A genetic survival trait that allows Humans to gain powers that are survival based due to any life threatening situation." Laurel remembered those people. How alone they has felt when separated from their "Batch mates".

"Superwoman and I came up with a solution. Mostly Clarice because I was starting to become slightly unstable," she made a face, "Early onset lead poisoning and all. So I left Earth and began to explore out in space. My condition improved the longer I was away. Long story short I helped the Batch folk find home worlds that they could colonize."

She smiled again at the younger man. "Not boring you too much I hope. But I will redact yet again. Cut forward to after I got the Batch folk to their new homes, I got really sick. Acted out. Kind of broke bad. The rest of the Guild wanted to contain me. Imprison me until I passed from the poisoning. Superwoman came to my aid again. She proposed putting me into the Phantom Zone until they could find a cure for me. Well, they never did. I became lost to history."

Again memories of that terrible period of eternity/nothingness caught up to her and she took a second to catch up. "This is where we get to the second first meeting. Cut ahead a thousand years. I was in the Phantom Zone so time kind of didn't mean anything. A team of young heroes, called the Legion of Super Heroes had found some old history logs about me. About half the team lost their minds about then." Laurel paused again. This was the part that really tended to mess her up.

"Remember the Batch folk? About half of those colonies turned me into some sort of Goddess. The rest made me out into the Devil. To keep the peace the team helped me change my looks and I became M'Onel, the wanderer. I was still brand new in that time period so I took an sabbatical to get to know my new home and time."

"While I was away Brainiac Five, or Querla Dox devised a serum that cured me of my lead poisoning. They also had the bright idea of offering membership in the team to their inspiration to become heroes. Seems Querla and Rona Vidar had also figured out time travel." she groaned remembering it.

"We were all just kids then. No one had any idea what we were doing. They went back and brought Clarice forward. They figured out a way to make her forget big details when she went back. Details like time travel. She retained the skills she would develop over the time she spent with us."

Another smile overcame Laurel's face. "She was a brat. Impulsive. Rash. Reminded me of me when Clarice trained me. She was like a kid sister I never had. She learned the hero trade from the Legion. We taught her and in turn she had inspired us. A thousand year gap and she was still able to inspire. THAT is what my world's Superwoman was like."

Quiet, stunned, and contemplative, Jon Kent absorbed all that knowledge with what speed he had regained-- and though that speed was indeed incredible, that had been a lot to take in. The idea of a world where his father had been a woman, and his mother a man... of a world where every binary-gendered being had been flipped on that axis...

Wonderous Man? Batwoman?

But so much was the same. Not everything. But so much.

"I'm sorry that you went through so much for so long. But I'm glad you survived. I'm glad you can still tell stories of your world. Stories are important-- both my parents taught me that. They were journalists, but I guess you must have known that already, from your world?"

"There was a Legion on my Earth, too. I mean, my first Earth. Dad told me stories."

"He never... he never time-traveled to visit them, he met a few of them when they came to our century a few times. But they held him in their legends. He inspired them. And... and I can see why."

"When I was really little, our world got eaten up by white light. Someone had been messing with time and had... done it wrong. And all of history got wiped away from end to end. We had to escape that universe, me and mom and dad, in order to survive. I don't know if anyone else got out."

Jon sat quietly for another moment. "I hope they did. The Legion. They seemed like good people and... and if there was gonna be survivors, I would hope they remembered my dad with pride."

He hesitated, and frowned. And gazed quietly at the breathtaking blonde Daxamite.

"I don't remember anyone named Andromeda in my dad's stories. And I have a really good memory. But there was-- there was this kid, this clone, Kon-El. He was kind of like my older brother, except not really, except sort of? He saved a hero with lead poisoning. Put him into something called the... Stasis Zone? Maybe... maybe that was you? The you from our world? At the time he was called 'Champion,' but we found out later he was really called... Valor."

It is returning through the dark.

The Console Room.
********​

Sighing she looked over at the man they had just rescued and smiled. "Hey Ba-Kar my names Firestorm, glad you could join our little band although it is very sad the way you did."

"Oh Yeah, Ba-Kar, I'm Blue. Sorry it wasn't under better circumstances, but at least your Earth didn't get slagged." Blue shrugged. "That's something to be hopeful about. Most of us are just fighting for the dead, at least you get to fight for the living." He closed his mouth, then opened it. "Sorry, that sounded better in my head."

The Bleed Rotor at the heart of The Console reaching up to the top of the domed Console Room then slowed to a stop.

The TARDIS didn't whoom into place as it had previously... it didn't land as solidly. This time it sort of... bobbed to a stop. And then drifted this way and that, scant inches in any direction but enough to evoke a sensation of needing one's sea legs.

As though The TARDIS were moored at a seaside dock but still shifted with the ebbing and flowing of an unseen tide.

And then, as though that were not eerie and unsettling enough...

...there came a knock at the door.

Four knocks.

Exhausted but insistent.

Knock
knock
knock
knock.

And she reached for his hand.

She had... she had just experienced planetary-level trauma.

And she had been... dramatically diminished.

Even with perfect enlightenment, she was still human.

"I just..." she mumbled, "...need to not be alone."

Reaching out he took her hand and knelt next to the bed, holding her hand to his face, as he looked into her eyes. “I’ll leave when you send me away. But you’ll look me in the eyes when you do. And even then, you’ll never be alone.”

Shifting his head Kyle kissed the palm of her hand.

Quiet, stunned, and contemplative, Jon Kent absorbed all that knowledge with what speed he had regained-- and though that speed was indeed incredible, that had been a lot to take in. The idea of a world where his father had been a woman, and his mother a man... of a world where every binary-gendered being had been flipped on that axis...

Wonderous Man? Batwoman?

But so much was the same. Not everything. But so much.

"I'm sorry that you went through so much for so long. But I'm glad you survived. I'm glad you can still tell stories of your world. Stories are important-- both my parents taught me that. They were journalists, but I guess you must have known that already, from your world?"

"There was a Legion on my Earth, too. I mean, my first Earth. Dad told me stories."

"He never... he never time-traveled to visit them, he met a few of them when they came to our century a few times. But they held him in their legends. He inspired them. And... and I can see why."

"When I was really little, our world got eaten up by white light. Someone had been messing with time and had... done it wrong. And all of history got wiped away from end to end. We had to escape that universe, me and mom and dad, in order to survive. I don't know if anyone else got out."

Jon sat quietly for another moment. "I hope they did. The Legion. They seemed like good people and... and if there was gonna be survivors, I would hope they remembered my dad with pride."

He hesitated, and frowned. And gazed quietly at the breathtaking blonde Daxamite.

"I don't remember anyone named Andromeda in my dad's stories. And I have a really good memory. But there was-- there was this kid, this clone, Kon-El. He was kind of like my older brother, except not really, except sort of? He saved a hero with lead poisoning. Put him into something called the... Stasis Zone? Maybe... maybe that was you? The you from our world? At the time he was called 'Champion,' but we found out later he was really called... Valor."

"I probably am my universe's version of your Valor...." She managed before the shift in gravity kicked in. "Feel that? We need to get back with the rest."

Now, just how to do that? Laurel headed towards the door. She recalled people talking to the ship. "I don't know what your name is, but could you direct me to the bridge please?

She's the Doctor. But she ain't playin'.

Reaching out he took her hand and knelt next to the bed, holding her hand to his face, as he looked into her eyes. “I’ll leave when you send me away. But you’ll look me in the eyes when you do. And even then, you’ll never be alone.”

Shifting his head Kyle kissed the palm of her hand.

She shivered at that, and it wasn't just the contact or the context of the kiss, it was also the sincerity of it.

He meant exactly what he said.

Jamie Davida Hamilton searched Kyle's face for a moment, and then leaned in, her other hand coming up to clutch his shoulder--

--and she kissed him.

Kissed him deep and long and longingly.

And when she drew back, there was fire in the darkness of her eyes.

Just a glimmer. Maybe even just enough to make a red-blooded American male wonder what it would be like to really have honeymoon level quantities of sex with a woman who could heal at a touch...

Not now.

Not yet.

But anyone who could read a face wouldn't need telepathy to see that the thought had... occurred to her.

"I probably am my universe's version of your Valor...." She managed before the shift in gravity kicked in. "Feel that? We need to get back with the rest."

Now, just how to do that? Laurel headed towards the door. She recalled people talking to the ship. "I don't know what your name is, but could you direct me to the bridge please?

"She said the name, The Doctor did, right when I came aboard," Jon murmured. "I was kind of out of it at the time, but she called it 'TARDIS.' The TARDIS."

But while The TARDIS didn't communicate it words, it was psychic enough to communicate impressions-- feelings-- and feelings could be ever so much more complex than words.

And in Laurel's head there came a feeling of assent and ascent and the moment Laurel opened the door the two powerhouses would feel a slight shock of temporal whiplash as they rejoined the flow of time with the rest of the ship...

...and stepped through one of the open archways into The Console Room.

Just in time for the sound of some late visitor entreating entrance at the chamber door.

Knock
knock
knock
knock.

Ba-Kar looked first to Firestorm, then Blue.
"I had thought my world had ended when I lost my wife, my children... But after all of this... I see I was wrong. There is still a world, it is lesser for having lost what it has, but it is still there. It still needs protecting. I might be the last of the royal bloodlines left on my Earth. Someday I will have to return and face my loss. Face what my world needs to be better. Become the man she saw in me. Even if I am as much animal as man. Thank you both for the welcome."

As the knock came, Ba-Kar looked to the door. He thought of what The Doctor said. Whoever was next was going to need him. Need his knowledge of the Red and the Green. The ways of a Shaman. Ba-Kar shifted his thoughts. He couldn't afford to think of what was lost. Not now. He reached out to the Red. He reached like he hadn't in a very long time. No longer doing so out of reflex, but reaching out with a strength and determination. Fully accepting his connection for the first time since his families death.

As his mind reaches the Red he seeks for what will be most useful. Quickly he pans through his understanding of nature. Strength of a Lion, Speed of a Gazelle, Armor like a Rhino... no. That could all be taken as a threat, and he honestly wasn't sure if beyond the door was friend or foe. Then he felt it. Regeneration... He latches on to the amazing regenerative powers of the lowly Sea Cucumber. Deceptive in it's simplicity, but able to regrow itself even if chopped into several pieces. Whatever awaits on the other side of the door, at least Ba-Kar is sure he will survive the first meeting.

Ba-Kar turns and faces the door. Stepping up to it and reaching out to answer the knocking...

Firestorm heard the knocking on the door and her head snapped towards it. Even as she wondered what was behind it she heard a door opening elsewhere in the room and two more people arrived. Both of these people definitely looked ready to fight and fit the profile of Meta's.

Both of them were muscled and gave off an aura of strength and confidence. In fact the female looked vaguely familiar. It was like she had seen her or someone very much like her somewhere before but was just not able to recall it at the moment.

Still finding out who they were would have to wait.They had bigger fish to fry, like finding out just who was knocking. The Doctor had mentioned their next stop might be a little different and she was sure it was not the same person that had attacked them. She was pretty sure he would not knock but try to crash right through.

Approaching the door she readied a controlled nuclear explosion in her hand. She could use it to absorb any energy coming there way, project energy from it, or manipulate the atoms of objects. She saw Ba-Kar reaching out to open the door and got ready.

"Right behind you Friend. Just to warn you, I have projection blasts so if anything jumps out I will handle that side."

Redlining.

It was, perhaps, fortuitous, that Ba-Kar had delved into patterns of morphic templates he was familiar enough with to access even away from the creatures of his home Earth and come up with the sea cucumber.

Famously, sea cucumbers could regurgitate their internal organs to distract predators and escape, growing back those innards over the course of days.

And when Ba-Kar swung that door open... the strange substance he beheld--

--a wall of red red fluid, semi-viscous, kept at bay by the temporal grace field that protected the ship, a wall of red flowing stuff that did not flow across the threshold, simply oozed and rippled just micrometers away from the open doorway--

--it was like nothing that existed in nature. While it had a certain... kinship... with the Red he knew... this frothing deadly red red fluid medium...

...it was also outside of any world his Victorian mind could immediately comprehend.

And thus, standing there with the conceptual powers of a sea cucumber, regeneration and all, he might just want to puke his guts out.

Similarly, Firestorm, with her/their ability to gaze into the molecular structure of any substance, would find the quantum particles that made up this substance like nothing she/they had ever attempted to analyze before. Even Lily, with what tutelage she might have received from her luminary father, could only hypothesize at what this was.

For all the stories Blue had read and experienced and been over the years, could even he know what this was? Fee-fi-fo-fum, red as the blood of an Englishman...

The two solar incarna-- the Daxamite and the Kryptonian hybrid-- would also find this stuff, this Bleed, hard to look at...

...but after a moment, their visual cortices would automatically adapt, upgrade, evolve to allow for 4-Dimensional vision, and would be able to look upon it without ill effect.

And then.

And then.

In the rippling and the shifting, something moved beneath the surface of the flow.

And a hand-- gloved in red, black, and gold-- reached grasping, clasping, gasping out of The Bleed, reaching out into The Console Room, fingers closing on empty air...

...and then the hand began sinking back into the red, slipping away.

But!

As the hand lurched out from The Bleed, it was no longer muffled to Ba-Kar's senses by this transuniversal "Super-Red," and his Sheldrakian ability to attune to morphic fields would detect within the life force-- the genes and cells of this reaching hand--

--the power of an animal.

The power of a bug.

But that power-- artificially enhanced though it had been-- was winking out. A guttering flame, smothered and near-extinguished.

Whoever they were. They were drowning.

--and she kissed him.

Kissed him deep and long and longingly.

And when she drew back, there was fire in the darkness of her eyes.

“Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it..” Kyle whispered, as he leaned over her on the bed. “Don’t really have the time to do anything right and proper at the moment. But when we do, if you still want then. We will.” And he kissed her back, he hand moving to cradle the back of her neck as he poured feeling into that simple touch of lip on lip.

Unfortunately his head and heart said he’d wait. But other parts of his very male anatomy said do it. DO IT NOW!!!

Accident & Emergency.

“Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it..” Kyle whispered, as he leaned over her on the bed. “Don’t really have the time to do anything right and proper at the moment. But when we do, if you still want then. We will.” And he kissed her back, he hand moving to cradle the back of her neck as he poured feeling into that simple touch of lip on lip.

Unfortunately his head and heart said he’d wait. But other parts of his very male anatomy said do it. DO IT NOW!!!

The noise she made as he kissed her like that--

--she could read his mind--

--she could feel his blood changing direction--

--the noise she made was almost inhuman.

Her hand curled into the fabric of his shirt down by his abs as though she were trying to untuck him-- undress him--

--but she shuddered to a stop, took a breath--

--they had known each other, what, maybe an hour? Two? Time had lost all meaning in this stretched out existence. It might as well have been eternities.

The Doctor thudded her forehead against Kyle's pecs. She could feel his single heartbeat against her brow.

And she steadied herself, stilled herself, centered herself.

"Yes."

"Not yet. Not now."

"We should go back to the others. They might need us."

"She might need us."

"I'm the Doctor. I'm always on-call."

It was, perhaps, fortuitous, that Ba-Kar had delved into patterns of morphic templates he was familiar enough with to access even away from the creatures of his home Earth and come up with the sea cucumber.

Famously, sea cucumbers could regurgitate their internal organs to distract predators and escape, growing back those innards over the course of days.

And when Ba-Kar swung that door open... the strange substance he beheld--

--a wall of red red fluid, semi-viscous, kept at bay by the temporal grace field that protected the ship, a wall of red flowing stuff that did not flow across the threshold, simply oozed and rippled just micrometers away from the open doorway--

--it was like nothing that existed in nature. While it had a certain... kinship... with the Red he knew... this frothing deadly red red fluid medium...

...it was also outside of any world his Victorian mind could immediately comprehend.

And thus, standing there with the conceptual powers of a sea cucumber, regeneration and all, he might just want to puke his guts out.

Similarly, Firestorm, with her/their ability to gaze into the molecular structure of any substance, would find the quantum particles that made up this substance like nothing she/they had ever attempted to analyze before. Even Lily, with what tutelage she might have received from her luminary father, could only hypothesize at what this was.

For all the stories Blue had read and experienced and been over the years, could even he know what this was? Fee-fi-fo-fum, red as the blood of an Englishman...

The two solar incarna-- the Daxamite and the Kryptonian hybrid-- would also find this stuff, this Bleed, hard to look at...

...but after a moment, their visual cortices would automatically adapt, upgrade, evolve to allow for 4-Dimensional vision, and would be able to look upon it without ill effect.

And then.

And then.

In the rippling and the shifting, something moved beneath the surface of the flow.

And a hand-- gloved in red, black, and gold-- reached grasping, clasping, gasping out of The Bleed, reaching out into The Console Room, fingers closing on empty air...

...and then the hand began sinking back into the red, slipping away.

But!

As the hand lurched out from The Bleed, it was no longer muffled to Ba-Kar's senses by this transuniversal "Super-Red," and his Sheldrakian ability to attune to morphic fields would detect within the life force-- the genes and cells of this reaching hand--

--the power of an animal.

The power of a bug.

But that power-- artificially enhanced though it had been-- was winking out. A guttering flame, smothered and near-extinguished.

Whoever they were. They were drowning.

And Laurel moved. She grabbed the hand and pulled. Gently as she could, but with the intention of drawing this person in.

Force Majeure.

And Laurel moved. She grabbed the hand and pulled. Gently as she could, but with the intention of drawing this person in.

Solar-charged Daxamite speed and strength were more than enough, but power was nothing without control. Laurel Gand of Earth-11 had all of the above.

And thus with an otherworldly resonant suctioning sound, she drew this strange figure out from The Bleed.

The TARDIS' firewall threshold kept The Bleed from seeping in, and thus she-- she! --sluiced out of the red red voidstuff like a Lubrilon blade out of bone.

Brown-skinned with long dark hair, clad in red and black and gold with lenses over her eyes of some indeterminate technology...

...all of the people in this room, on this ship, were beautiful in their own way.

This woman's way of being beautiful was that she was fucking gorgeous.

But she wasn't moving, breathing, not a twitch, not a pulse.

Except to Ba-Kar's senses, detecting things even a Kryptonian's couldn't.

This Bleedstuff, this "Super-Red," contained the possibility of eternal life... or eternal death.

This young woman was being poisoned by it-- she must have ingested it--

--and yet. Somehow. Somehow.

The regenerative powers given to her by the arthropodal morphogenetic template and then enhanced by genetics technology and nanorobotics had been fighting this impossible toxin-- somehow. Somehow!

But right now the spark of that power was fizzling out.

If only The Animal-Man could fan that spark back to life? Supercharge it, if only for a moment-- retune it to a higher evolutionary frequency so that she could fight all the harder and save herself?

Into the mouth of redness

Blue supposed trying to give someone a vial full of honey was pretty stupid. He stooped down to retrieve it, melting into the background as more of the heavy hitters came. He felt small compared to the nuclear fireball Firestorm held in her hand and the two super people.

He found himself staring in horror at the wall of Red. It was a nightmare. He could smell the insanity. His stomach turned and he was fortunate that his cloak could swallow anything he put into it. No one else could see the contents of his stomach coming back up. None of the others were that bothered by the unnaturalness.

Sure he knew of giants and their predilections. He’d been bathed in blood on many battlefields. He’d seen innocents die and killed to stop the killing. The hand floating amongst the redness haunted him.

Laurel was nonplussed. She reached in and yanked the body onto the ship. Blue shrank back expecting the corpse to explode and bath them all in Red. It was going to happen, Blue knew it. And the worst part of it all, Blue knew deep down that the stuff wasn't even red. Yet he could not stop thinking about it's redness, how pure and urgent it's color was. He licked his lips. He needed to know. Damn them all, but he needed to know.

The noise she made as he kissed her like that--

--she could read his mind--

--she could feel his blood changing direction--

--the noise she made was almost inhuman.

Her hand curled into the fabric of his shirt down by his abs as though she were trying to untuck him-- undress him--

--but she shuddered to a stop, took a breath--

--they had known each other, what, maybe an hour? Two? Time had lost all meaning in this stretched out existence. It might as well have been eternities.

The Doctor thudded her forehead against Kyle's pecs. She could feel his single heartbeat against her brow.

And she steadied herself, stilled herself, centered herself.

"Yes."

"Not yet. Not now."

"We should go back to the others. They might need us."

"She might need us."

"I'm the Doctor. I'm always on-call."

“One of these days I’ll wear the stethoscope…”
And then he kissed her. A kiss that made a promise. And he’d die before he broke that promise.

Rising up from the bed he pulled her up as well. “One of these days you and I are going to.. get some alone time so we can figure out a few things.”

Yeah he held her hand as they walked – quickly – back to the main console room. The Bridge as it were. Releasing her hand, reluctantly, just before the returned to the gathering. Looking at the oozing red muck and the entity being pulled from it he grimaced. “Well.. that’s gross. Kinda like a big bloody snot ball.”

Solar-charged Daxamite speed and strength were more than enough, but power was nothing without control. Laurel Gand of Earth-11 had all of the above.

And thus with an otherworldly resonant suctioning sound, she drew this strange figure out from The Bleed.

The TARDIS' firewall threshold kept The Bleed from seeping in, and thus she-- she! --sluiced out of the red red voidstuff like a Lubrilon blade out of bone.

Brown-skinned with long dark hair, clad in red and black and gold with lenses over her eyes of some indeterminate technology...

...all of the people in this room, on this ship, were beautiful in their own way.

This woman's way of being beautiful was that she was fucking gorgeous.

But she wasn't moving, breathing, not a twitch, not a pulse.

Except to Ba-Kar's senses, detecting things even a Kryptonian's couldn't.

This Bleedstuff, this "Super-Red," contained the possibility of eternal life... or eternal death.

This young woman was being poisoned by it-- she must have ingested it--

--and yet. Somehow. Somehow.

The regenerative powers given to her by the arthropodal morphogenetic template and then enhanced by genetics technology and nanorobotics had been fighting this impossible toxin-- somehow. Somehow!

But right now the spark of that power was fizzling out.

If only The Animal-Man could fan that spark back to life? Supercharge it, if only for a moment-- retune it to a higher evolutionary frequency so that she could fight all the harder and save herself?

Ba-Kar wasted no time. Acting on instinct and faith he lunges forward. Shifting his resonance with The Red. Trying to force it to match the waves he could sense pouring from this woman. And as he did he felt more of what she was. Unlike himself, she was connected to only a portion of The Red. Her powers, at least in her current state, seemed only to be connected to the bugs, insects and arachnids of the Red. But Ba-Kar was familiar with just the right animal.

As a child he and his Mangani brothers would chase and try to catch African Mantis. He always marveled at not only their strength and durability, but more than once they would meet specimens that had lost and regrown limbs. If they could regrow missing limbs, hopefully that regenerative nature would be enough to bring her back around.

Ba-Kar wraps the woman in his arms, turning her body so her face is down. His animal aura being pushed to its limits as he tries to push his connection to the new comer. Channeling the quickness and the strength of the Mantis, as well as the regenerative powers, he uses one arm to compress the lungs and the other to thump the back of his charge, trying to force the reddish slime from her lungs while praying that the Mantis archetype is detected and picked up by the woman.

Major Wake-Up Call.

“One of these days I’ll wear the stethoscope…”

"I hope that means that's the day you'll start listening to me," Jamie laughed softly.

And then he kissed her. A kiss that made a promise. And he’d die before he broke that promise.

And she kissed him back. And she believed in him, and believed in that promise, because he wasn't coward enough to lie.

Rising up from the bed he pulled her up as well. “One of these days you and I are going to.. get some alone time so we can figure out a few things.”

"One of these days," The Doctor agreed. "There will be... heated negotiations... satisfactory to both parties."

Yeah he held her hand as they walked – quickly – back to the main console room. The Bridge as it were. Releasing her hand, reluctantly, just before the returned to the gathering. Looking at the oozing red muck and the entity being pulled from it he grimaced. “Well.. that’s gross. Kinda like a big bloody snot ball.”

"You think that's off-putting," The Doctor grimaced, "you should see some of the species that live in The Bleed, hunting shift-ships much larger on the outside than this one."

But she was much more focused on the astral exchange between Animal Man and the newcomer...

Ba-Kar wraps the woman in his arms, turning her body so her face is down. His animal aura being pushed to its limits as he tries to push his connection to the new comer. Channeling the quickness and the strength of the Mantis, as well as the regenerative powers, he uses one arm to compress the lungs and the other to thump the back of his charge, trying to force the reddish slime from her lungs while praying that the Mantis archetype is detected and picked up by the woman.

...somewhere deep in the darkness that was the stillness of the woman's body, there came a flicker of red, indeed. Not murderous red, not the red of The Bleed, but the red of Life, the red of The Red.

And her body... awakened...

...her body convulsed...

...cells composed of strands of insects and arthropods bonded to half-superhuman half-Nehiyawoc DNA, they sensed their like, their kin, and they rushed to meet this familiar energy...

...fought back with the will of a warrior, dauntless, indomitable...

...her eyelids fluttered between her HUD-lenses...

...her heart thudded to life in her chest as though it had simply paused mid-beat...

...and spurred on by the power of the animal-shaman and his crude, Victorian answer to CPR--

--she made a terrible coughing vomiting noise and Bleedstuff gushed out of her mouth and nose, launching out in a stream--

"FIRESTORM!"

The Doctor roared--

"NEUTRALIZE IT BEFORE IT POISONS ANYONE!"

But she was much more focused on the astral exchange between Animal Man and the newcomer...

...somewhere deep in the darkness that was the stillness of the woman's body, there came a flicker of red, indeed. Not murderous red, not the red of The Bleed, but the red of Life, the red of The Red.

And her body... awakened...

...her body convulsed...

...cells composed of strands of insects and arthropods bonded to half-superhuman half-Nehiyawoc DNA, they sensed their like, their kin, and they rushed to meet this familiar energy...

...fought back with the will of a warrior, dauntless, indomitable...

...her eyelids fluttered between her HUD-lenses...

...her heart thudded to life in her chest as though it had simply paused mid-beat...

...and spurred on by the power of the animal-shaman and his crude, Victorian answer to CPR--

--she made a terrible coughing vomiting noise and Bleedstuff gushed out of her mouth and nose, launching out in a stream--

"FIRESTORM!"

The Doctor roared--

"NEUTRALIZE IT BEFORE IT POISONS ANYONE!"

Firestorm had been watching what was happening in fascination. She had been about to step in and try to revive the newcomer herself when Animal Man had taken over. She was not sure what he was doing, but it seemed to be working.

Then suddenly she jerked and spasmed and then coughed, before vomiting something that looked like the stuff that had been outside the door just a little worse. It streamed out of her and she backed off in revulsion until the Doctor called out.

Reacting instantly she sent out a pulse of energy, enveloping all the liquid in a radiation strong enough to fry every atom, but concentrated enough that not a molecule of radiation escaped the edge of the beam.

Making sure she had gotten every single drop she turned to the Doctor.

"All Particles destroyed Doc. Rather drastic for some upchuck if you ask me but it's your ship."

Major Attitude.

Reacting instantly she sent out a pulse of energy, enveloping all the liquid in a radiation strong enough to fry every atom, but concentrated enough that not a molecule of radiation escaped the edge of the beam.

Making sure she had gotten every single drop she turned to the Doctor.

"All Particles destroyed Doc. Rather drastic for some upchuck if you ask me but it's your ship."

...the molecular structure would have been like anything Firestorm had ever encountered, existing not just in three dimensions, but four. Tesseractive directions scarcely comprehensible to the normal human mind-- ana and kata-- but The Firestorm Matrix perhaps could have sussed it out.

Fortunately for everyone, before she got too fascinated by the stuff that had flooded the new girl's lungs, Firestorm reduced it to inert particles with a searing bombardment of radiations and telemolecular flux.

The Doctor smiled faintly, snapping her fingers so that The TARDIS doors closed and sealed away the sight of The Bleed. "You've heard of bloodborne pathogens? The Bleed is a pathogen. It's incalculably alien to three-dimensional biologies. It's-- it can reverse terrible illnesses, but it's much more likely to kill you dead on the spot. It's said that the only ones that can carry it within them and live-- that weren't the legendary, long-extinct Monitors --are Kryptonians and their equivalents."

She paused, sinking down to one knee besides the newcomer woman. "...you're from Universe-7, by your resonance. So it would need to be an Ognessonian Evovae." She glanced up at the others. "Some universes call them Eternals-- paragons of a species blessed with immortality and powers exponentially beyond their fellows. On Earth-8, an Evovae from Ognesson became the hero known as Hyperius before he mysteriously disappeared-- funny story what happened to him, between you and me what really happened was--"

"There--" the woman rasped, heaving in air, healing quickly even as the burst effect of The Animal-Man's power boost began to fade. "--there are no Evovae on the Ognesson of my universe."

The Doctor arched an eyebrow. "...hm."

"Decades ago, the emotionally sterile techno-utopia of Ognesson sought incorporation with The 52nd Nehiyawoc Magistratical Contiguity," the girl continued, trembling as she clambered to her feet-- Jon Kent gave her a hand up. "We assimilated their biological and technological distinctiveness with our own, in turn providing them our cultural edification and genetic stability."

"Knowing the Nehiyawoc, genetic hegemony would be more like it," The Doctor sighed. "The mutation that would have produced an Evovae could no longer occur. Your Universe never had a Hyperius. Never had a Superman."

"But some elements of their technology infuse Nehiyawoc technology," the new girl nodded, standing a little taller, a little stronger. "The nanites in my body. My weapons. My boots. This is how I survived this... Bleed... long enough to simply drown in it. You have my... thanks... for reviving me."

The Doctor nodded slowly. "...all part of the service, really."

And then the woman drew the energy pistol holstered at her hip, pointing it up at the ceiling and narrowing her eyes.

"I am Mira Rose Mejores, Roz-Llwelln, Acting Captain of the Nehiyawoc Transdimensional Vessel The Major. I am Major Girl. And I am commandeering this vessel in The Name of The Contiguity. Which one of you is the captain?"

Last edited:
Back