How bad is Islam? Well, would you be willing to live in an Islamic Nation?

Are you willing to live in an Islamic nation?


  • Total voters
    74
The Libs call it that all the time. One here even said Sharia was scholarly.
Show me where a liberal here calls it a religion of peace.







Oh, and did you ever name the gay male members of this board?
 
Last edited:
Why is that? It's not like they'll cane you or behead you like they do in Muslim Nations.

Because their law derives directly from a religious text that was written thousands of years ago. I thought I already made that clear. The Vatican hierarchy is all male, with no opportunity for someone like me to advance to the highest levels. Unmarried males make all decisions regarding the lives of females (sort of like Republican House committees). There is no vote. There is no voice for common folk.

What's the difference between beheading, electrocution, hanging, firing squad or lethal injection, by the way? Dead is dead and the death penalty is hardly restricted to Islamic countries. I'm with you on the caning thing, though. That's pretty brutal.
 
Show me where a liberal here calls it a religion of peace.

uh excuse me

The English translation is not as eloquent as the original Arabic, but let me quote from the Koran, itself: "In the long run, evil in the extreme will be the end of those who do evil. For that they rejected the signs of Allah and held them up to ridicule." The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam. That's not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace. These terrorists don't represent peace. They represent evil and war.

-president george w. bush
 
When you say "Islamic nation" are you including countries such as Indonesia?

Moderate” Muslim Indonesia Prosecuting Man For Being An Atheist…




U.S. liberals unavailable for comment.


(AKI/Jakarta Post) – Indonesian prosecutors have fouled up the indictment of Alexander Aan, the civil servant in Padang, West Sumatra accused of professing his atheism on Facebook, his lawyers say.

Alexander should have been charged under a joint regulation of the Religious Affairs Ministry, the Attorney General’s Office and the Home Ministry, Ronny Saputra, an attorney from the Padang office of the Legal Aid Foundation (LBH), said.

Ronny said sections of the indictment alleging that Alexander had called on others to “embrace atheism” were unclear.

“The prosecutors have yet to describe when or where my client had done such acts,” he said.

Alexander only posted images and text from the “Minang Atheist” Facebook group on his own account, Ronny said, including such as comics titled “The Prophet Muhammad has been attracted to his own daughter-in-law” and “The Prophet Muhammad had been sleeping with his wife’s maid”.

“The article was first circulated in a forum called “Faith Freedom Indonesia 2008” and has been accessible until now. Meanwhile, the same comic was aired by Metro TV on January 20th in 2010,” Ronny said.
 
When you say "Islamic nation" are you including countries such as Indonesia?

Indonesia’s Sharia-Governed Aceh Province: “Women Who Don’t Wear Headscarves Are Inviting Men To Touch Their Breasts”…




Oh yeah, the sight of (gasp) hair turns men into sex-crazed animals!


(Jakarta Globe) — In Indonesia’s only province ruled by strict Islamic law, the sight of the “morals police” prompts women to quickly adjust their headscarves and male and female companions to move apart.

In Aceh on the northern tip of Sumatra island, it is the job of the 1,000-strong Wilayatul Hisbah, or Islamic police, to enforce Shariah laws that mandate public modesty for women, and forbid unmarried couples from socializing.

In the capital Banda Aceh last week, a woman peeled away from her husband, reached for a scarf and quickly wrapped it around her head as a patrol approached; a petrified couple hopped on a motorcycle and fled.

But another pair hiding behind a large rock on the beach were not so lucky.

“Are you married?” roared a burly officer, wearing a khaki uniform and sporting a thick moustache, as he approached the cringing couple who shook their heads.

“This is unacceptable in Aceh, we have Shariah laws here. Go along now, go home,” he said, after examining their identity cards. [...]

Extreme views are rife in the province where there are no cinemas, music concerts are few, and billboards depict females in headscarves.

“Women who don’t wear headscarves are inviting men to touch their breasts,” said 47-year-old teacher Tarmizi Mohammad.

“I think we should enforce Shariah laws further and stone adulterers and chop off the hands of thieves,” he added.
 
When you say "Islamic nation" are you including countries such as Indonesia?

Indonesia: Sharia Police Publicly Cane “Punks” For Having Premarital Sex…




From the beacon of “moderate” Islam, Indonesia.


(AFP) — Around 100 people in the town of Langsa watched and cheered when sharia police in green-and-black hoods caned the 21-year-old woman and her 23-year-old boyfriend, along with 11 others convicted of gambling.

“Those kids are punks. They were caught having sex by the public and were arrested by sharia police,” Langsa prosecutor’s office head Putra Masduri told AFP.

Masduri said the couple were often seen loitering on the streets dressed as punks, however they dressed in traditional white Islamic clothing for their caning.

Although they were arrested for pre-marital sex, their punishment comes amid a crackdown on punks in the province, in which police have raided cafes and parks to detain youths contributing to what authorities call a “social disease”.

In December, more than 60 young punk fans were detained at a concert and forced to undergo a 10-day “moral rehabilitation” camp run by police.

The youths had their hair cut or shaved, and were forced to bathe in a lake, wear conservative clothes, and pray, provoking a flurry of criticism from human rights groups and punk fans around the world.

Aceh, on the northernmost tip of Sumatra island, adopted partial sharia law in 2001 as part of a special autonomy package aimed at quelling separatist sentiment.

Only Muslims can be charged under sharia law, although the non-Muslim community is expected to follow some of the rules out of respect.
 
When you say "Islamic nation" are you including countries such as Indonesia?

Indonesia: Authorities Bow To Islamist Pressure And Force Churches To Close In Sharia-Governed Aceh Province…




Force any mosque, anywhere in the World to close and see what happens.


Jakarta (AsiaNews) – The ongoing protests by a Muslim extremist fringe has led to the closure of three Christian places of worship in the province of Aceh, the only province in Indonesia where Shariah (Islamic law) is enacted. According to the radical movement the churches were illegal and they have demanded – under threat – the intervention of the authorities. The local administration used the pretext of an alleged lack of building permits, to seal up the buildings.

One of the three is a small – historical – Catholic chapel, open for almost 40 years and full of faithful during celebrations. Although an overwhelmingly Muslim area, the province of Aceh has always been characterized by a “spirit of tolerance” and this is the “first case” of an intervention by authorities against places of worship of the Christian minority.

The authorities closed the three Christian buildings in Aceh last May: the Catholic Church in Napagaluh, Singkil, a sub-district of Paris Danau, the Protestant Gereja Kristen Pakpak Dairi, and also the Napagaluh Catholic Church of St. Paul, in the village of Lae Balno. A Singkil district official explains that, according to law, they are all without a building permit (IMB, Izin Mendirikan Bangunan).

The Napagaluh Catholic church, in fact, is a “small, historic” prayer chapel -undung-undung in the local language – which opened in 1974 and is attended by dozens of faithful each week for the liturgies. In 38 years there were never any incidents, protests or tensions with local residents, who are overwhelmingly Muslim.
 
Toronto Muslim School Teaching Students Jews Are Nazis, Preparing Them For Jihad…




In other words, it’s your average madrassa.


(Toronto Sun) — Police are investigating a complaint about a Toronto Muslim school whose curriculum tells boys to exercise so they are “ready for jihad,” calls Jews “treacherous” and contrasts Islam with “the Jews and the Nazis.”

“Yes, I can confirm for you that a complaint has been made and our Hate Crimes Unit is investigating,” Acting Sergeant Rebecca Boyd, a York Region Police spokeswoman, told the National Post on Monday.

“However, they are in the early stages of the investigation,” she added.

While the school that prompted the outcry operates out of David and Mary Thompson Collegiate Institute in Toronto, it is linked to an Islamic centre in York region.

The Friends of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre said it had complained to police after finding the material on the website of the East End Madrassah.

“We are looking into it,” said Masuma Jessa, principal of the East End Madrassah.

The Toronto District School Board said it was also looking into the matter.

In a press release Monday, the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs complained the madrassa’s curriculum was rife with antisemitic slurs. The document refers to “Jewish plots and treacheries” and calls Jews “crafty.”
 
When you say "Islamic nation" are you including countries such as Indonesia?

Indonesia: Thousand-Strong Mob Of Islamic Extremists Attack Virgin Mary Shrine…




From our favorite “moderate” Islamic country.


Jakarta (AsiaNews) — Tensions remain high in central Java, where a crowd of a thousand Islamic extremists have targeted a shrine to the Virgin Mary: For security reasons, yesterday the authorities suspended the programmed church service, while dozens of policemen and soldiers guarding the place of Christian worship, fearing further — possible — violence. According to the protesters, incited by Muslim extremists, the building has no building permit required by law (the infamous IMB) and, over time, from “simple house of prayer” it has become a real church. The faithful respond that “in more than 40 years” there has never been an incident of sectarian nature.

After the three Christian churches — two Catholic and one Protestant — were forcibly closed in Java in recent days, the attention of Indonesian Islamic extremists has now shifted to the shrine of Lady Mary in Sengon Kerep, Sampang sub-district in Gedangsari in Gunung Kidul regency in Yogyakarta (Central Java province). Sunday, May 6th a mob of a thousand fanatics tried to seal off the building, but the intervention of soldiers and police foiled the attack.

The full name of the shrine of the Virgin Mary (pictured) is Taman Maria Giri Wning Sengon Kerep and in local language, it means “The garden of the silence of Mary Sengon Kerep”. Over the past three years the place of worship has undergone a major restoration work, and has always attracted a huge crowd of believers with one purpose: prayer.
 
I've met my share of Muslims, and some of them are cool. One of them was rather sexy, in fact (a Kurdish girl). That being said, I wouldn't want to live in a Muslim nation, just because I like to drink, eat pork, and do other things that would be frowned upon. Funny thing, though. I recall that some Muslims are inconsistent about following religious laws, just like Christians. The Kurdish girl drank, but wouldn't eat pork. She also said some rather disturbing anti-Semitic things that made her somewhat less attractive eventually. Still, she'd be good for a grudge fuck. ;) And she was witty and smart, if a bit of a bigot.

In any case, no, I wouldn't want to live in even a secular Muslim country, because the secularism could vanish quickly (Turkey, Egypt, etc. for examples). It's just too high a risk.

One of my best friends from high school was a Shia Muslim, btw. But even he said things that made me scratch my head at times. And he was the highly intelligent son of a pediatric endocrinologist. I gathered that his dad was actually more secular than he was.
 
I would avoid living in any country where a religion has legal juristiction over morality or private, consensual behaviour. That means that I would prefer not to live in, for example, Saudi Arabia, Israel or even Ireland. And the lunatic Christian Right in the US means that I wouldn't want to live there either.

And I think Very_Bad_Man is right in his experience of Muslims. The aspirations that most people have for themselves and their children are the same, whatever their culture, race or religion.

All nations have legal jurisdiction over morality... or at least all nations with laws do.
 
No, I'd likely be the victim of an "honor killing". I don't care for Rush Limbaugh, but being called a "slut" is a far cry from getting shot or stoned.

That being said, I would never want to live in India, either. Some of the things that militant Hindus (as opposed to more sensible Hindus) do is just as bad.
 
Disagree with you there. Since when are politicians the best judges of morality?

Irrelevant to my statement. I didn't say politicians are the best judges of morality or that they should be. I said all nations with laws have legal jurisdiction over morality. That is because, after all, laws are legislated morality. We may not as individuals agree with certain laws, but generally they're supposed to be indicative of what society as a whole deems to be unacceptable behavior.
 
Back
Top