a companion to 30 in 30

LOL! Is this a good thing or not? My mom used go on about those two groups within the Ashkenazim. Who was Bea? Tevye's wife?

The matchmaker, not that your poem specified that, but her voice kept ringing in my ear as I read it

Last edited:
The matchmaker

She seems too tall to be Yenta. I picture Molly Picon from the movie. My parents had seen her performing in Yiddish theater before they were married.

Well I hope the voice is not too annoying! I've been reading a lot of prose poetry and flash fiction, so I wanted more and longer lines. I'll see where it goes.

She seems too tall to be Yenta. I picture Molly Picon from the movie. My parents had seen her performing in Yiddish theater before they were married.

Well I hope the voice is not too annoying! I've been reading a lot of prose poetry and flash fiction, so I wanted more and longer lines. I'll see where it goes.

Original Broadway production, 1964, with Zero Mostel

As to the voice, not annoying at all; nostalgic, in fact, because I heard the accent a lot in the nursing home where my grandmother lived out her life.

Original Broadway production, 1964, with Zero Mostel

As to the voice, not annoying at all; nostalgic, in fact, because I heard the accent a lot in the nursing home where my grandmother lived out her life.

Ok that's good to know. :)

I've seen Fiddler live 3 or 4 times, but never on Broadway. I knew Zero Mostel was in the original cast and even that Bette Midler played the oldest daughter. But never knew Bea played Yenta!

1-16 Meditation Advice

My favorite of yours so far, Angie. The simplicity of the narrative fits so well with the title, but that's just the first layer. My imagination did a lot with the nuances, particularly last stanza. It made me think of the Chinese proverb "Chop wood. Carry water."

My favorite of yours so far, Angie. The simplicity of the narrative fits so well with the title, but that's just the first layer. My imagination did a lot with the nuances, particularly last stanza. It made me think of the Chinese proverb "Chop wood. Carry water."

Thanks GM. :rose:

I was not sure that the middle of that poem (the part in parens) made sense, so I really appreciate the feedback. I may still need to rethink those lines. I did know that I had to make the connection (and end) with some concrete practice or the poem would be an abstract overload. Hence the washing day image.

I really like Unkulunkulu. Is it a revised version? I think maybe I read a draft in your thread. I submitted an old but revised poem for the Halloween challenge. I feel it has been improved so what the heck, right? :)

Last edited:
Thanks GM. :rose:

I was not sure that the middle of that poem (the part in parens) made sense, so I really appreciate the feedback. I may still need to rethink those lines. I did know that I had to make the connection (and end) with some concrete practice or the poem would be an abstract overload. Hence the washing day image.

I really like Unkulunkulu. Is it a revised version? I think maybe I read a draft in your thread. I submitted an old but revised poem for the Halloween challenge. I feel it has been improved so what the heck, right? :)

I re-read the stanza with parentheses. I don't think it matters either way, but I'd keep the line about emptying the mind which is a very concrete image of what meditation is.

Yes re Unkulunkulu. As you probably know, I edit many of my original poems. If I believe I've made a substantial change to a piece, I'll post it, particularly if the theme changes. I believe this was the case with Unkulunkulu.

Last edited:
Whoa! What happened to my Sunday? Man...I mudst hsave fallen asleep or something....guess I'll work on stirring up my Muse for a few days...oh, then NaNoWriMo starts...looks like I'll try again in Dec. *sigh* :rolleyes:

:cool:

Whoa! What happened to my Sunday? Man...I mudst hsave fallen asleep or something....guess I'll work on stirring up my Muse for a few days...oh, then NaNoWriMo starts...looks like I'll try again in Dec. *sigh* :rolleyes:

might not comment much, mostly working, but jut want to say i've been reading you guys and you've given us readers some real gems :rose:

Rem??? You were so close! Oh well you have some great ones there. Best of luck with NaNo. :heart:

might not comment much, mostly working, but jut want to say i've been reading you guys and you've given us readers some real gems :rose:

Now if I could just remember where I left my muse. :kiss:

Back