Random Gamer Silliness

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about focus. It's about learning how it feels. Like typing. If you're focused you're doing it wrong.

I don't mind creating, I miss the old Sim Cities before they got so complicated that running one should qualify you for congress. Oh E.V.O. If you can find a rom of that it's an adorable waste of a few hours.
 
It's not about focus. It's about learning how it feels. Like typing. If you're focused you're doing it wrong.

I don't mind creating, I miss the old Sim Cities before they got so complicated that running one should qualify you for congress. Oh E.V.O. If you can find a rom of that it's an adorable waste of a few hours.

That's why I replay Alpha Centauri so often. It's Sid Meier. Still a really good, smart game. It was supposed to be the planet you were sent to at the end of SimCity when your pods took off for future civilizations.

The factions are awesome - An Economic faction that is making fun of Microsoft, a Fundamentalist faction that's making fun of Scientology, etc.

And I just love being the Ecological faction that cooperates with the native wildlife psychically and then kicks the crap out of everyone else.

The technology tree is a thing of real beauty, accompanied by a smart bit of voice acting.

Like:

Some would ask, how could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much that is evil. They have missed a greater conundrum: why would a perfect God create a universe at all?

Sister Miriam Godwinson, "But for the Grace of God"

Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours-- the works. People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.

Morgan Stellartots Keynote Speech, "Mythology for Profit"

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)


The rest here:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri
 
I like Bioshock because of the story. These people tried to create a whole new life under the water.
 
I'm now waxing poetic about Dragon Age again. I'm probably going to be adopting another Mabari soon. Elven scout, here I come!
 
You have to play DA2 because I would hump the tv if it wouldn't make a mess over Fenris.

That elf is hawt.
 
You have to play DA2 because I would hump the tv if it wouldn't make a mess over Fenris.

That elf is hawt.

I might give it another try. I really only made it through the beginning. But whereas DA1 introduced you to the story and made me care...the origin stories were really good...the second one just threw Flemeth at me (killed that bitch over and over) and the bad stuff started before I got invested in the good stuff, and the bouncy action of backstab just made my eyes cross.

My impression was "take me to dinner first, geeeez."

I didn't care and I couldn't get immersed. But if there's hot elf...and you say it's good...

You know who is another great character? Balthier. The first non-whiny Final Fantasy good guy.

Okay, Steam doesn't have DA2, but Amazon has it for download for about $15, so what the hell, I'll give it another try. I can save my rampage of China.
 
Playing "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" - which is not in fact a kinky sex/travel game, but a simulation of war in China of yesteryear.

It's a nice Zen game for me (everyone else I know calls it boring) and I slowly build resources and armies, recruit my officers and spend two days or so beating up on Ancient China per scenario. Then I start over.

I create my own officers as well, who are mostly female and generally have names like "Bu Bu Ki Ti"

Occasionally there comes that moment where you see: "Bu Bu Ki Ti has taken Wu Hu from Cao Pi" Wu Hu and Cao Pi I didn't even make up. Real Chinese history there.

We make our own fun.

you are stupid
 
I played ultima online for a while. I used to run around it my underwear hunting deamons with a katana. Fun times. I really liked fallout 3, but I pissed everyone off in new vagas so I'm currently stuck in that one. Right now I might go back to starcraft 2 until my new disc drive comes for my ps3.

Remy
 
My son and husband are really good at those games. I don't have the focus or the talent. I'll never be as good at it or get the same visceral joy they get from it.

I'm more happy with being able to create something. Preferably with a silly name.

Safe to assume you love little big planet?

Remy
 
Safe to assume you love little big planet?

Remy

I saw my son play it, it looked like lots of fun. I suck at platformers, unfortunately. If it requires me to navigate or jump...

Even Warcraft made me cry in Blackrock Depths. All I wanted was my damned Smoking Heart of the Mountain and there was all this lava! *cries*
 
Eh I got bored with it. This thread is making me miss my ps3. :'(

On a side note I would reccomend brutal legend to all fans of 70s and 80s metal. It's funny as hell. How can you go wrong when your healing unit is lemmy kilmister?

I think its a bargin bin game now.

Remy
 
It's also a rather shitty game. I mean game play wise and controls, the concept are awesome but if you wanna play an RTS play an RTS and if you wanna beat stuff to death that had no chance of hurting you go help Sarah Palin save the world in Bayonetta.
 
Eh I got bored with it. This thread is making me miss my ps3. :'(

On a side note I would reccomend brutal legend to all fans of 70s and 80s metal. It's funny as hell. How can you go wrong when your healing unit is lemmy kilmister?

I think its a bargin bin game now.

Remy

We had a PS3 and as much as I loved Sony, it never got much use. Now I'm pretty much off consoles and playing computer games, mostly because they're hackable and I can do stuff like (Oblivion) load lockpicks and set ability levels when I replay.

Our PS3 ended up just using itself as a cloud number cruncher for a charity effort until it died and nobody missed it. Bought it as a Blu-Ray player and then only ended up buying streaming content from Amazon.

Poor PS3.
 
It's also a rather shitty game. I mean game play wise and controls, the concept are awesome but if you wanna play an RTS play an RTS and if you wanna beat stuff to death that had no chance of hurting you go help Sarah Palin save the world in Bayonetta.

Now that...is a good gamer joke. Well done!
 
It's also a rather shitty game. I mean game play wise and controls, the concept are awesome but if you wanna play an RTS play an RTS and if you wanna beat stuff to death that had no chance of hurting you go help Sarah Palin save the world in Bayonetta.

Ya the mechanics sucked but the in jokes and soundtrack outweighed it for me.

I do like rts games. Sadly my computer can barely run starcraft two but its a great game.

Remy
 
I tried to get into it cus I like Jack Black but I'm really not that into metal. So that didn't grasp me hard enough to get past the mechanics.
 
I was playing rocksmith until the system died. It was a hoot! Then again I play guitar so it gave me an excuse to keep one in the living room.

Remy
 
Good call on Dragon Age 2 - EQII is down all day.

Nice to see the women still walk like Genlocks. We wouldn't want to have a different center of gravity or any grace or anything.

Oh well. Time to kill more darkspawn. Gots mah bow.
 
Multi-user domains! Anyone else remember MUDDING? Text based games is the stuff!
 
Multi-user domains! Anyone else remember MUDDING? Text based games is the stuff!

Yup, did a lot of Mudding. Started my online gamer career on The Sierra Network at a game called Shadow of Yserbius. Met my husband there. They raised their rates to a ridiculous amount and a lot of us emigrated to Muds. Played on one called Avatar for a good long time and a bunch of others. Used to have parties once a year where lots of people came to hang out. Gamers are awesome.
 
Yup, did a lot of Mudding. Started my online gamer career on The Sierra Network at a game called Shadow of Yserbius. Met my husband there. They raised their rates to a ridiculous amount and a lot of us emigrated to Muds. Played on one called Avatar for a good long time and a bunch of others. Used to have parties once a year where lots of people came to hang out. Gamers are awesome.

Mudmeets! Miss them horriblly. I still play one these days using the excuse that it keeps my typing skills up. Good old Moral Decay.
 
Mudmeets! Miss them horriblly. I still play one these days using the excuse that it keeps my typing skills up. Good old Moral Decay.

They were brutal games. But they were really the only games available. Lots of horrific dying. Weapons melting, permanent character death...

Lots of good stories though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top