Go to first new post help

bone251

Literotica Guru
I like to return to the Lit board and pick up where I left off. I like to use the "Go to first new post" button. Especially in my subscribed feed.

The problem is that very often the button is void and passes up my last visit.
Any way to fix this?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bump
I was on line earlier and had about 40 new post to read in my subscriptions. Returned a few hours later and there are only 5.

All those links lost. How do you make this work?

Bump
I was on line earlier and had about 40 new post to read in my subscriptions. Returned a few hours later and there are only 5.

All those links lost. How do you make this work?

The last read function is determined by your "last visit" time stamp. That will reset whenever you register more than 15 minutes inactivity.

If you spend fifteen minutes catching up with one thread, your "last visit" time resets and so does every last read pointer.

This is one major drawback to the vBulletin software that drives Lit's forums.

What I do is open every thread I want to read in a new tab so that the last-read post is properly indexed. Then I can tab through the threads without losing my place. I also make note of the time stamp of the last post before refreshing each forum after reading the new posts.

This works for me, and may be slightly easier?

I have a set of tabs, one for each forum I follow. (How to, Fetish & Sexuality Central, Darkroom Lounge, etc.) I keep the set in a folder on my bookmarks toolbar.

I open all the 5 forum tabs at one time, and each shows the same "last visit".

Now I run down the list of threads in the 5 open tabs (forums), looking for the threads I want to catch up on. I open each thread in a new tab using the square to the left of the title, mouse over text "go to first new post".

Finally, I wade through the many tabs. 99% of the time, they position correctly.

Also, when daylight savings time changes each spring & fall, I have to clear Lit cookies before times sync up correctly

For my browser, middle click is set to "open link in new tab", so choosing each thread is a single click.

I could also have each tab in my list of 5 forums open each in a new window. Then (in theory), minimizing the other 4 windows will reduce the browser load. A couple of times a year I get a couple of hundred tabs (all those picture links!) open at one time, and my browser crashes!

The last read function is determined by your "last visit" time stamp. That will reset whenever you register more than 15 minutes inactivity.

If you spend fifteen minutes catching up with one thread, your "last visit" time resets and so does every last read pointer.

This is one major drawback to the vBulletin software that drives Lit's forums.

What I do is open every thread I want to read in a new tab so that the last-read post is properly indexed. Then I can tab through the threads without losing my place. I also make note of the time stamp of the last post before refreshing each forum after reading the new posts.

So last post read zeros all threads even those you do not read?

So last post read zeros all threads even those you do not read?

Sort of.

The "Last Read" is actually "posts made since your last visit". If your "last visit" time stamp resets because you were reading instead of "active" (ie requested a new page or refresh) then your "last visit" time-stamp resets and "posts made since your last visit" (aka last read) will only flag posts made after you timed out.

There are many ways to stay "active" if you can't open multiple tabs or windows; the easiest is to make sure you refresh the page you have open at least every five to ten minutes. But the bottom line is that the time stamp in the upper right corner of each foum page determines what gets flagged as "last read" -- which bears no relation to whether you've read anything or not.

Sort of.

The "Last Read" is actually "posts made since your last visit". If your "last visit" time stamp resets because you were reading instead of "active" (ie requested a new page or refresh) then your "last visit" time-stamp resets and "posts made since your last visit" (aka last read) will only flag posts made after you timed out.

There are many ways to stay "active" if you can't open multiple tabs or windows; the easiest is to make sure you refresh the page you have open at least every five to ten minutes. But the bottom line is that the time stamp in the upper right corner of each foum page determines what gets flagged as "last read" -- which bears no relation to whether you've read anything or not.

Other forums like a trombone forum only mark a thread read if you click on that thread. So you can go back weeks later and know what threads you missed and pick up where you left off, even if you just stopped by to look at a few threads.
Oh well. I was hoping there was a way to keep up on threads I don't look at every time I hit the site.

Back