Looking for feedback!

I wrote a story that is complete called Prince's Consort and got a lot of feedback, positive and negative regarding story plot (not grammar or spelling as I always edit my works). Then, I posted another work that is more visceral than story oriented - though it does have a solid plot - and right away I received negative feedback (2 star average) where on my other story I was receiving 4-5 star ratings, all but one chapter is trending Hot right now. Albeit, the entire story is not out yet and is awaiting publication.

My question is, when the writing is similar and the quality (I believe) is consistent, why is there such dissent between stories? (Of course, not everyone likes the same things, but how are the reactions so incredibly different?) (Perhaps it is due to the length of the story, as it's very short at the moment, or maybe it's in the wrong section: Non-Human as opposed to NonCon)

Has anyone else experienced this?

This is my absolute first post on this forum, so please, be nice! :)

Or maybe it's in the wrong section: Non-Human as opposed to NonCon)
I haven't read the stories as they don't sound like they'd appeal to me. But my impression is that a story in the wrong category will get strong negative feedback.

My question is, when the writing is similar and the quality (I believe) is consistent, why is there such dissent between stories? (Of course, not everyone likes the same things, but how are the reactions so incredibly different?) (Perhaps it is due to the length of the story, as it's very short at the moment, or maybe it's in the wrong section: Non-Human as opposed to NonCon)
Non-Human and Non-Con are probably polar opposites in terms of your readers. Your stories are being read by folk with completely different interests, thus the completely different reactions. It's nothing to do with writing quality, it's the subject matter takes center stage on Lit.

I read Master's Touch. Not exactly a feel-good, happily-ever-after story, is it? I'm not really familiar enough with the Nonhuman category to know whether that affected the score. But I note that the story was just published today, and so it may still be a couple of days, as more votes come in, until the score settles down to a more stable reflection of what people think.

The writing is solid. You did a very good job of setting the dark tone you wanted to set. I wonder if Horror would have been another viable category? I didn't find it erotic at all, and I'd worry about anyone who did. But as a horror tale, it certainly delivered.

I read Master's Touch. Not exactly a feel-good, happily-ever-after story, is it? I'm not really familiar enough with the Nonhuman category to know whether that affected the score. But I note that the story was just published today, and so it may still be a couple of days, as more votes come in, until the score settles down to a more stable reflection of what people think.

The writing is solid. You did a very good job of setting the dark tone you wanted to set. I wonder if Horror would have been another viable category? I didn't find it erotic at all, and I'd worry about anyone who did. But as a horror tale, it certainly delivered.

@ HectorBidon, I didn't think about putting it in horror! Got a little tunnel vision, I will consider putting it in another category.

And not many of my stories are happily ever after :D

@ 8letters, electricblue66, and everyone, thank you for your feedback, it does end up being non-human, however, The Prince's Consort is also a vampire story and the editors felt it was more fitting in the NonCon.

You're comparing too early, I reckon, Master's Touch having just gone up. You're also comparing a multi-chapter story with a single chapter, so it's apples and bananas at this stage.

I'm curious as to why Prince's Consort was put in non-con (based on the first chapter alone) - it seems to be an obvious starting chapter for a supernatural yarn with a bit of a period feel to it (maids and villagers, the arrival of the dark stranger, etc.) But it's doing okay where it is, all Red Hs.

Maybe the Non-Human readers are more demanding from the start - or your story has been troll-scored down, early.

I see also from your comment to the last chapter of Prince's Consort that you got caught in the trap of submitting chapters as you wrote them, then trying to keep up. Releasing content that way puts you under huge pressure, I reckon. I did it once, never again.

I read Master's Touch. It's too early to infer anything from the score. You'll have to wait a few days when the story has received more votes.

A few thoughts:

One reason Prince's Consort has a higher score, probably, is that it tells a story. Master's Touch is more of a sketch of an incident. It does a good job setting a scene and a mood, but we don't get to know the characters and there's no meaningful story arc. We don't get to know Miranda or her motives. She's just a victim.

A note on punctuation: you often use commas where you should use semicolons or periods. Commas should not be used to separate independent clauses.

For instance, your second paragraph:

Then one of them stared at her, fear motivated her to run again, faster than she ever had.

Should be

Then one of them stared at her. Fear motivated her to run again, faster than she ever had.

You use commas that way throughout the story.

I read Master's Touch. It's too early to infer anything from the score. You'll have to wait a few days when the story has received more votes.

A few thoughts:

One reason Prince's Consort has a higher score, probably, is that it tells a story. Master's Touch is more of a sketch of an incident. It does a good job setting a scene and a mood, but we don't get to know the characters and there's no meaningful story arc. We don't get to know Miranda or her motives. She's just a victim.

A note on punctuation: you often use commas where you should use semicolons or periods. Commas should not be used to separate independent clauses.

For instance, your second paragraph:

Then one of them stared at her, fear motivated her to run again, faster than she ever had.

Should be

Then one of them stared at her. Fear motivated her to run again, faster than she ever had.

You use commas that way throughout the story.

On the comma/semicolon/period use: I have several digital editors that I haven't used recently because the process is soul-sucking. I go by visual and catch what I see but usually am more interested in getting the story OUT first. :/ That, and when looking at everyone else's stories, I don't care so much as their syntax and grammar are generally horrendous.

I'll keep an eye out for them in the future.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
You're comparing too early, I reckon, Master's Touch having just gone up. You're also comparing a multi-chapter story with a single chapter, so it's apples and bananas at this stage.

I'm curious as to why Prince's Consort was put in non-con (based on the first chapter alone) - it seems to be an obvious starting chapter for a supernatural yarn with a bit of a period feel to it (maids and villagers, the arrival of the dark stranger, etc.) But it's doing okay where it is, all Red Hs.

Maybe the Non-Human readers are more demanding from the start - or your story has been troll-scored down, early.

I see also from your comment to the last chapter of Prince's Consort that you got caught in the trap of submitting chapters as you wrote them, then trying to keep up. Releasing content that way puts you under huge pressure, I reckon. I did it once, never again.

Yes! Learned my lesson.

Technically Master's Touch is done and awaiting publication, so there will be a lot more to that story and we will see how it affects the score. Also, I asked the editors to put it in either NonCon or Erotic Horror, whatever fits best, so that will likely change the audience.

Technically Master's Touch is done and awaiting publication, so there will be a lot more to that story and we will see how it affects the score. Also, I asked the editors to put it in either NonCon or Erotic Horror, whatever fits best, so that will likely change the audience.
Yes, it will. Vastly different reader bases, I think.

You tell a good story, so if Master's Touch rolls out each chapter at a steady rate, hopefully you'll see it do well, too. I'd have thought Erotic Horror for a vampire yarn - other than the usual Lit homophobes who unfortunately are everywhere, the EH readers are pretty accommodating. I've got a long shaggy-dog shape-shifter story which is still getting reads after four years, and its score is slowly creeping higher over time.

Yes, it will. Vastly different reader bases, I think.

You tell a good story, so if Master's Touch rolls out each chapter at a steady rate, hopefully you'll see it do well, too. I'd have thought Erotic Horror for a vampire yarn - other than the usual Lit homophobes who unfortunately are everywhere, the EH readers are pretty accommodating. I've got a long shaggy-dog shape-shifter story which is still getting reads after four years, and its score is slowly creeping higher over time.

It will actually just be one 12000 or so word story that does have a concise ending. I will never be doing stories chapter by chapter again (at least on Lit). Several people complained about some of the chapters being too short on The Prince's Consort, but you can't win 'em all I guess...

Thanks for the compliment and feedback! :rose:

First chapter held my interest. Hoping we learn more about what she left behind soon.

Well! Active, energetic writing, written with obvious enthusiasm and relish (even if a little too demonic for my taste ;)). Like chalk and cheese compared to the Prince's Consort, this is much more assured.

An acquired erotic taste, I suspect, nothing stirred for me I'm afraid. But your imagination... goodness me!

I will take that as a compliment, thanks for powering through!

Back