Nova's Closet

A lovely pic. Thanks for sharing!
No quotation marks or ambiguous words. I might survive the gauntlet after all.

(Probably not, but always positive!) ;)

I think we all have scars of some sort, n’est pas? Part of life’s geography. I love tracing my lovers’ (yes, plural) scars with my tongue. So, yes, I am into that sort of thing. :cool:
Just goes to show, there is something, and someone, for us all. :)

Sorry, I got here late.

Scars....

I wear my scars proudly and appreciate the scars of others. Someone who has no scars knows nothing of hardship or pain and has no appreciation or respect for those who do.

Some of the worst examples of humanity I have ever met have no worse scars than when they nicked themselves shaving. And some of the most caring and genuinely good people I know have some of the most terrible scars.

I like to talk to people who have scars. I like to ask about them. In understanding those scars and what they represent, I understand that person better. And I like to show them mine, so that they understand me better. And why I understand them better than most.

Your scars tell me more about who you are than any biography ever could, because scars are reminders of pain. The kind of pain that shapes us and makes us stronger. The kind of pain that shows us we CAN push through it and survive. The kind of pain that makes us real. The kind of pain that makes us human.

They show the we are not the kind who give up or give in just because something bad happened. They show that we have what some will never know.

I have my share of scars. Maybe more than my share. Some were shallow and disappear over time. Some are deep. Some I have had since childhood and will have for the rest of my life. And I am certain that I will have more. I do not dread them. I do not relish them. And while I have an unusually high tolerance for pain, it is not something I enjoy. But it is something I learn from.

Sorry, I got here late.

Scars....

I wear my scars proudly and appreciate the scars of others. Someone who has no scars knows nothing of hardship or pain and has no appreciation or respect for those who do.

Some of the worst examples of humanity I have ever met have no worse scars than when they nicked themselves shaving. And some of the most caring and genuinely good people I know have some of the most terrible scars.

I like to talk to people who have scars. I like to ask about them. In understanding those scars and what they represent, I understand that person better. And I like to show them mine, so that they understand me better. And why I understand them better than most.

Your scars tell me more about who you are than any biography ever could, because scars are reminders of pain. The kind of pain that shapes us and makes us stronger. The kind of pain that shows us we CAN push through it and survive. The kind of pain that makes us real. The kind of pain that makes us human.

They show the we are not the kind who give up or give in just because something bad happened. They show that we have what some will never know.

I have my share of scars. Maybe more than my share. Some were shallow and disappear over time. Some are deep. Some I have had since childhood and will have for the rest of my life. And I am certain that I will have more. I do not dread them. I do not relish them. And while I have an unusually high tolerance for pain, it is not something I enjoy. But it is something I learn from.
With this type response, come in late anytime you want. Sincerely. :)

Scars, the ones I have left as opposed to the ones that have disappeared. The one on my left foot where I sliced it to the bone on a piece of glass wading in the lake at my uncles house. The one on the top of my left foot where my cousin punctured it with a knife while playing mumbly peg. Both are gone.

The one on the inside of my right arm where I was sliced from elbow to the tip of my little finger in my late teens. Gone. The scars where I had both knees operated on in the mid 60's after a race car wreck that should have killed me. Gone.

So what is left? The small scar on the inside of my right little finger where i dislocated the knuckle in a sprint car wreck in the early 70's. I didn't learn enough from the first wreck. Some of the scar on my right chest from a bullet I caught in Vietnam. The one on my left ass cheek is gone as are most of the shrapnel wounds on my lower back, thighs, and butt.

The memories for all of them are there but not as vivid as they once were. Age has a tendency to heal all things both of mind and body.

Do I miss my scars? Hell no. I learned from them and then they left. like all lessons from the past. Badges of honor? No, more like badges of stupidity in most cases or bad luck. Wrong place, wrong time.

Lessons learned. Hopefully. Maybe. :D

Last edited:
Sorry, I got here late.

Scars....

With respect, that last phrase does not follow.

I have few scars because I have been fortunate over the course of my life, and took few risks. I agree that I don't know hardship or pain in a physical sense (but you can't always see all scars), but you cannot deny me empathy, respect, nor appreciation of people who do bear scars.

Lack of pain in someone's life does not make someone a lesser person - which is what you are coming very close to saying.

I'd like to give back the string of divots that mark where my 'flesh-eating staph' infection broke the skin, and all my fire-ant bites turned weeping wound scars from dive operations in industrial water... they are all sign of a malevolent fate. My self-inflicted wounds, the marks others have left, they are good starting points for stories about what to do(too many of mine can be started off with 'don't do this and here's why...")

With respect, that last phrase does not follow.

I have few scars because I have been fortunate over the course of my life, and took few risks. I agree that I don't know hardship or pain in a physical sense (but you can't always see all scars), but you cannot deny me empathy, respect, nor appreciation of people who do bear scars.

Lack of pain in someone's life does not make someone a lesser person - which is what you are coming very close to saying.

With respect...

Until you have had multiple broken bones simultaneously, you do not know or understand that level of pain.

Until you have watched your own skin peel off from a 3rd degree burn that covers most of your forearm, you do not know or understand that level of pain.

Until you have seen your own bones inside a laceration, you do not know or understand that level of pain.

Until you have lost someone you love more than your own life to a sudden, violent death, you do not know or understand that level of pain.

Until you know and understand those levels of pain you do not have respect for what that person is going through. You may think you do, but you don't. That is why people think it's cool to sign someone's cast. (I call it tagging someone else's pain) Or make jokes about playing with fire and running with scissors, or jokingly call you a klutz. Or look you in the eye and tell you, "It's God's will."

I do not look down on unscarred people. I'm sure they have their own issues that I don't understand. But when you have endured pain of the highest levels, the kind that is so excruciating that it pervades your other senses, it changes you. And it is permanent. And every time you look at that scar it is a reminder of that pain. It is also a reminder that you can endure the worst and keep going. That makes us different.

Not better. Just different.

With respect...

Until you have had multiple broken bones simultaneously, you do not know or understand that level of pain.

Until you have watched your own skin peel off from a 3rd degree burn that covers most of your forearm, you do not know or understand that level of pain.

Until you have seen your own bones inside a laceration, you do not know or understand that level of pain.

Until you have lost someone you love more than your own life to a sudden, violent death, you do not know or understand that level of pain.

Until you know and understand those levels of pain you do not have respect for what that person is going through. You may think you do, but you don't. That is why people think it's cool to sign someone's cast. (I call it tagging someone else's pain) Or make jokes about playing with fire and running with scissors, or jokingly call you a klutz. Or look you in the eye and tell you, "It's God's will."

Some scars, and not 'merely' the mental things, are purely internal.
I can attest to the pain of radio therapy in the throat. . . . .
And its duration.

Some of the scar on my right chest from a bullet I caught in Vietnam. The one on my left ass cheek is gone as are most of the shrapnel wounds on my lower back, thighs, and butt.

The memories for all of them are there but not as vivid as they once were. Age has a tendency to heal all things both of mind and body.
Coming from a military family, I must say, your service means more to me than I can possibly say. There aren't enough words. :heart:

Lessons learned. Hopefully. Maybe. :D
I say this all the time! :D

Last edited:
My self-inflicted wounds, the marks others have left, they are good starting points for stories about what to do(too many of mine can be started off with 'don't do this and here's why...")
I bet many of us have those kind of stories. Lessons learned as has been said. :)

Or look you in the eye and tell you, "It's God's will."
I heard those words at a specific time in my life more times than I care to remember. And where I grew up, where I'm from, those words are expected to be a welcomed phrase. I'm pretty sure everyone in that funeral home that day came to the certain understanding that it was not welcomed by me in any way.

I do not look down on unscarred people. I'm sure they have their own issues that I don't understand. But when you have endured pain of the highest levels, the kind that is so excruciating that it pervades your other senses, it changes you. And it is permanent. And every time you look at that scar it is a reminder of that pain. It is also a reminder that you can endure the worst and keep going. That makes us different.

Not better. Just different.
I've never heard the sentiment put quite like this. In my world, scars are seen as something to hide away, never to be spoken of. Because they signify something less than perfect. But your words here, well, they give me a new perspective on my scars and what I can make them stand for. My deepest appreciation for you sharing. :)

Lol -- that's true, but in your case "interesting" means a thing of very high erotic allure. ;)
Well, let me just say, I sure do like your definition much better than mine. So I'm keeping it. ;)

You're getting to know me too well! And that's as frightening as it sounds. :devil: :D
Should I cover my eyes during the scary parts? I hope not, because I do like to watch...

:devil:

I heard those words at a specific time in my life more times than I care to remember. And where I grew up, where I'm from, those words are expected to be a welcomed phrase. I'm pretty sure everyone in that funeral home that day came to the certain understanding that it was not welcomed by me in any way.

I've never heard the sentiment put quite like this. In my world, scars are seen as something to hide away, never to be spoken of. Because they signify something less than perfect. But your words here, well, they give me a new perspective on my scars and what I can make them stand for. My deepest appreciation for you sharing. :)

For me scars are actually a thing of beauty. The art left behind by healing. They are precious and should be revered, not mourned. :)

For me scars are actually a thing of beauty. The art left behind by healing. They are precious and should be revered, not mourned. :)

"The art left behind by healing." That's positively poetic.

Perhaps I'll see my scars a bit differently tonight. :)

Beautiful?

dish-010711-padma.jpg

How 'bout now?

abbd2acadbd1a18de5ec8edf9746b9a2.jpg

To me the scar only makes her more so.

Beautiful?

dish-010711-padma.jpg

How 'bout now?

abbd2acadbd1a18de5ec8edf9746b9a2.jpg

To me the scar only makes her more so.

She's damn fine. Scars only bother me in the sense of how they got them. If it was from a 'man' my initial reaction is to ask if they know where they are now.

Padma Lakshmi produces and hosts Top Chef currently, but has written cook books and acted here and there.

Her scar is from a car wreck she was in when she was 14. No "man" involved, not in *that* way.

Back