New trans-friendly law in Pakistan

Bramblethorn

Sleep-deprived
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...istan-passes-historic-transgender-rights-bill

"The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act allows people to choose their gender and to have that identity recognized on official documents, including national IDs, passports and driver's licenses. The bill also prohibits discrimination in schools, at work, on public modes of transit and while receiving medical care.

The measure also says that transgender people cannot be deprived of the right to vote or run for office. It lays out their rights to inheritance, in accordance with their chosen gender. And it obligates the government to establish "Protection Centers and Safe Houses" — along with separate prisons, jails or places of confinement...

The bill now goes to Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain for his signature. If signed into law, it's not clear when the legislation would go into effect."

and laws against rape in India: reading numerous horrendous news about that recently

Not gonna hold my breath for that to be a sea change... transphobic and homophobic fundies, be they Muslim, Christian, Hindi Atheist, etc., usually could give a rat's ass about what a law they disagree with says if it gets in the way of their hate.

After all, I imagine there are laws against torture and murder in Pakistan too...

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/10/24/transgender-woman-tortured-and-beheaded-in-pakistan/

Sure, and the article does acknowledge that enforcing the law will be a challenge. But it feels like some degree of progress that this even got passed.

I'm wondering if they're going to enforce it or just pay lip service to it.

I'm wondering if they're going to enforce it or just pay lip service to it.
...and which country are we talking about?! Plenty of laws get passed, but eventually the message gets through ... to some at least.

Most societal change is slow and incremental. I think we've seen a noticeable shift in the acceptance of LGBTQ people in the USA over the past couple of decades...even though the struggle has been going on for half a century. Minority rights are always hard to achieve. Religions often seem to play a big part in the obstruction, which is both ironic and sad. And even without that influence, most people aren't interested in the problems of others that don't directly affect them...i.e. lack of empathy. If we don't all collectively annihilate ourselves and half the other life here on our little planet, I think the incremental change will continue to move forward...sort of two steps forward and one step back. Gotta hope though and be thankful for progress when it happens ;)

...and which country are we talking about?! Plenty of laws get passed, but eventually the message gets through ... to some at least.

The article is about Pakistan. But that said, laws do get passed everywhere to please some people and then are pretty much ignored to keep the rest happy. It's just the way of things.

Most societal change is slow and incremental. I think we've seen a noticeable shift in the acceptance of LGBTQ people in the USA over the past couple of decades...even though the struggle has been going on for half a century. Minority rights are always hard to achieve. Religions often seem to play a big part in the obstruction, which is both ironic and sad. And even without that influence, most people aren't interested in the problems of others that don't directly affect them...i.e. lack of empathy. If we don't all collectively annihilate ourselves and half the other life here on our little planet, I think the incremental change will continue to move forward...sort of two steps forward and one step back. Gotta hope though and be thankful for progress when it happens ;)

When I was younger, there was no way I would admit to anyone that I'm bi unless I was having sex with them. These days, if asked, I won't deny it, but I'm not out there waving a flag about it either.

Back