NASCAR....How bad have you got it?

JJ on the Pole

Nothing new at qualifying this week. Rain today, so JJ gets to sit on the pole again. It's a major advantage to run in clean air, and have the #1 pit stall.
I'm thinking that JJ has sold his soul to the :devil:

Kyle Busch / Sam Ard

Double post, duh !!!!!

Last edited:
Kyle Busch / Sam Ard

Finally, for the first time, I saw Kyle Busch do something positive on Sat, after winning the Nationwide race. He donated $100K to Sam Ard, a former Busch Series Champion, from the good old days. Ard an his wife are both in rough shape, health wise. Kyle, are you finally growing up a little ????? :rolleyes:

Also, on Sunday David Gilliland put Montoya into the wall at 180 - 190 mph, after Montoya got into the rear of Gilliland's car, a couple times, before David finally gave him some payback. At first, Nascar parked Gilliland for 5 laps, but after reviewing the tapes, they sent him to the garage, ending his day. Nascar has said there will be no more penalties. I had to laugh at the announcers, who were all saying that Gilliland would be getting major penalties, maybe the most severe of the year. His penalty was pretty big, but nothing like when someone mess's with their precious COT. Apparently their new car, is more important to Nacar, than a drivers life !!!!!!!!

AuMan has been making some major strides in trying to overtake Lynn this second half of the season. He wins the come back award of the year, hands down :D

http://www.samard.com/

NASCAR Teams Begin Staff Layoffs

The Associated Press

Published: November 19, 2008

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Hall of Fame Racing, the NASCAR team owned by Arizona Diamondbacks executives, will cut its staff even if it secures sponsorship to run a full 2009 season.

Other teams aren't waiting.

Petty Enterprises, The Wood Brothers, Bill Davis Racing and Ernie Elliott's engine shop all reduced their staffs in the two days since Sunday's season finale.

Although exact numbers are hard to pin down, Petty chief marketing officer Mike Bartelli said the company released 30 employees.

"Petty Enterprises is not immune to the current economic downturn," Bartelli said. "During these tough times, we've had to make some very difficult decisions, including a reduction in staffing levels ... we regret that we had to eliminate any.

"We're focused on weathering the tough road ahead and aggressively marketing the Petty brand and sponsorship assets in the months ahead in preparation for the 2009 season."

The Wood Brothers are believed to have let go more than 20 employees.

BDR, which has no sponsorship lined up for its Sprint Cup program, has cut its staff to all but a handful of employees. Elliott, who built engines for Chip Ganassi Racing, did the same since it's unlikely Ganassi will use his motors once he completes a merger with Dale Earnhardt Inc.

The layoffs come as team owners adjust to the economic crisis, which slowly trickled into NASCAR but is now wreaking havoc on the industry. Just last week, 100-plus employees were released from DEI so the team can move forward with its merger with Ganassi.

Ganassi let go of 71 people in July, starting a wave that has hit all teams regardless of their level of funding.

Hendrick Motorsports, Joe Gibbs Racing and Roush Fenway Racing all had small staff reductions over the past month, and Roush let additional employees go this week as the organization adjusts to running fewer entries in the Truck Series next season.

But it's the smallest teams - like Hall of Fame - that are being squeezed the hardest. Sponsorship is extremely difficult to find and operating costs in NASCAR are at an all-time high. Without outside funding or a merger with another team, many small organizations are in danger of shutting.

HoF general manager Tyler Epp said Tuesday employees were told no one will be laid off before the end of November, as team officials search for more funding. But with 44 employees for a single car operation, Epp said the team is overstaffed.

"The reality is we ran 39th in points this year and personnel changes are going to be made," Epp said. "And we simply have too many people for a one-car team. We're going to have a reduction no matter what happens."

Epp said the team is close on several possibilities, but a merger with another small NASCAR team is not likely at this time. The team has partial sponsorship from DLP HDTV for next season.

Hall of Fame originally was formed by former Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach, but they sold their interest in the team last year to Diamondbacks executives Jeff Moorad and Tom Garfinkel. Moorad is the Diamondbacks' chief executive officer, and Garfinkel is the chief operating officer.

The team had a technical alliance with Joe Gibbs Racing, but Epp said the agreement most likely will not carry into 2009 as the team searches for a new partner. Depending on whom they lease their motors from - and JGR is still a possibility, Epp said - the team could also have a manufacturer switch.

HoF started in Chevrolets, then moved to Toyotas with Gibbs. J.J. Yeley began the season driving the No. 96, but was replaced late in the year by Ken Schrader. JGR phenom Joey Logano also ran two races in the car.

*Pounces on Starry*
{{{{{{{{Starry}}}}}}}}} :rose:

Tis great to see you here, Sweetie...and I will come back later tonight and read your post....just skimming over it...looks like there's a whole lotta shakin goin on in NASCAR already!

*Pounces on Starry*
{{{{{{{{Starry}}}}}}}}} :rose:

Tis great to see you here, Sweetie...and I will come back later tonight and read your post....just skimming over it...looks like there's a whole lotta shakin goin on in NASCAR already!

{{{{{{{{Lynn}}}}}}}} :rose:
Honey you really need to stop sharing that cold weather with us down here
I had to pull out the long johns already and layer up this week :eek:

It sure looks like everyone is Nascar is bleeding out employees all over the place :eek:

{{{{{{{{Lynn}}}}}}}} :rose:
Honey you really need to stop sharing that cold weather with us down here
I had to pull out the long johns already and layer up this week :eek:

It sure looks like everyone is Nascar is bleeding out employees all over the place :eek:

{{{{{{{{Starry}}}}}}}}}}} :rose::)

Bah! It was 16 freakin degrees here this morning!! Woke my ass up REAL quick when I went out to start the car! :eek:

It looks like NASCAR is getting hit like everyone else. Hubby was talkin today about if the BIG 3 go belly up...The only cars on the track you'll know what make they are, are the Toyota's.

{{{{{{{{Starry}}}}}}}}}}} :rose::)

Bah! It was 16 freakin degrees here this morning!! Woke my ass up REAL quick when I went out to start the car! :eek:

It looks like NASCAR is getting hit like everyone else. Hubby was talkin today about if the BIG 3 go belly up...The only cars on the track you'll know what make they are, are the Toyota's.

Hi Lynn,

Since most of the Toyotas sold in this country are made here, it's only a matter of time before they get caught up in this shit also. So far they are lucky, as they don't have the unions to drag them down. I've never been in a union, and I think their time has long since passed. Do the guys on the line really think they need $75 an hour to survive !!! We had a GM plant in Ma. years ago. GM closed it, when the workers went on strike. They couldn't live on $40 an hour, and that was probably 20 years ago. I can't hardly believe the unions were allowed to get so strong! They have put a major screwing on the American people.
I'm quite sure I know what their next jobs will be: Paper, or plastic? !!!!!

OK, I'm off the soap box, for now........
OH, before I forget Lynn, congrats on winning the contest :rose:
BassMan
PS: Nice seeing you post again, Starry. You get a :rose: also.

Hi Lynn,

Since most of the Toyotas sold in this country are made here, it's only a matter of time before they get caught up in this shit also. So far they are lucky, as they don't have the unions to drag them down. I've never been in a union, and I think their time has long since passed. Do the guys on the line really think they need $75 an hour to survive !!! We had a GM plant in Ma. years ago. GM closed it, when the workers went on strike. They couldn't live on $40 an hour, and that was probably 20 years ago. I can't hardly believe the unions were allowed to get so strong! They have put a major screwing on the American people.

BassMan
Hello Mr Fishy

I have been on a litttle here and there but not much. I am sorry to say I have been dealing with the disability insurance company dropping me out on the streets. One hand (vocational staff) are saying I am not qualified for anything due to the restrictions on the new Achilles. The other hand (who pays my Long Term disability income) is saying "oh yeah she can work" and cut me off. Because the vocational staff took over 14 months to find me a job or in this case no job I can't even get unemployment as I continue to look for work I can do. :(

I've had to file SSD, get an attorney to go after the insurance company along with the State Insurance Commissioner. Tommorrow morning I get to go in for an physical and mental exam for SSD to see if I am really disabled enough to be disabled. :eek:

:rose: Congrats to Lynn ... but we knew you knew your Nascar before this :D

Hi Lynn,

BassMan

{{{{{{{Fish}}}}}}}} :kiss::rose:

I read today that the union's have agreed to sit down and talk....but they don't want to be the only ones giving shit up. Congress hasn't flat out denied the big three help, but they want to see a plan first. Shutting these companies down helps no one. Millions of people out of work, collecting unemployment? And a big thumbs up for the ones who made an issue of these three head honcho's flying to Washington in THREE separate jets?!?
I'm sorry...but the only people I think deserves $75 dollars an hour are doctors who work with terminally ill children. IF these companies are gonna survive..it has to start at the top. The giving up shit has to start at the top. That's just my opinion....that and a dollar will get me an order of small fries at MickeyD's

Thank you for the congrats, Darlin. Next year we're gonna get you in that top spot! :kiss:

Hello Mr Fishy

I have been on a litttle here and there but not much. I am sorry to say I have been dealing with the disability insurance company dropping me out on the streets. One hand (vocational staff) are saying I am not qualified for anything due to the restrictions on the new Achilles. The other hand (who pays my Long Term disability income) is saying "oh yeah she can work" and cut me off. Because the vocational staff took over 14 months to find me a job or in this case no job I can't even get unemployment as I continue to look for work I can do. :(

I've had to file SSD, get an attorney to go after the insurance company along with the State Insurance Commissioner. Tommorrow morning I get to go in for an physical and mental exam for SSD to see if I am really disabled enough to be disabled. :eek:

:rose: Congrats to Lynn ... but we knew you knew your Nascar before this :D

{{{{{{{{Starry}}}}}}}}:rose:

Your situation is just another example of what's wrong in this country. People sitting behind a desk, deciding if you can work. If they're qualified to make the decision of what you can and can't do, like say...a DOCTOR...why the hell are they working insurance?!?

Good luck tomorrow..and keep us updated if you don't mind. I'll say an extra prayer for you, Sweetie.

Thank you for the congrats. Of all the years I've participated in the NASCAR Fantasy league...I've never finished in 1st place. :eek:

I started later on in the season but I did pretty well. I've been to 5 races in 2 years: 3 cup, 1 truck & 1 nationwide, all of which at PIR. I've always liked Jr but Jimmie Johnson is growing on me and I am glad to see Mark Martin return to full-time status next year.

Cup Banquet

If anyone is looking for a small Nascar fix, the Awards Banquet will be 12-5-08 (Friday) on ESPN at 9pm. I'm not a big fan of these things, as it's mostly drivers thanking sponsors. But, there is always someone who will play the comedian, or ball buster role. Can you guys remember Gordon's 1st Championship? He wasn't even old enough to drink, and The Intimidator sent him over a bottle of milk (as in baby, not Indy) hahahahahahaaaaa.

http://www.nascar.com/promos/championship/2008/

I started later on in the season but I did pretty well. I've been to 5 races in 2 years: 3 cup, 1 truck & 1 nationwide, all of which at PIR. I've always liked Jr but Jimmie Johnson is growing on me and I am glad to see Mark Martin return to full-time status next year.

Welcome to the thread, Mike from AZ! :rose:

I've heard more than once that a week before the races at PIR, that they have a rattlesnake round up, to gather them up before the crowds start rollin in. :eek: Is there any truth to that??

Howdy all

Gotta love Nascar but am having Nascar withdrawls right now

Hi there, MarlboroMan, and WELCOME!

Hopefully we can get some interesting conversations goin here to help us get through the off season.

Speaking of.....what and how do you think no testing will effect the drivers in 2009?

If anyone is looking for a small Nascar fix, the Awards Banquet will be 12-5-08 (Friday) on ESPN at 9pm. I'm not a big fan of these things, as it's mostly drivers thanking sponsors. But, there is always someone who will play the comedian, or ball buster role. Can you guys remember Gordon's 1st Championship? He wasn't even old enough to drink, and The Intimidator sent him over a bottle of milk (as in baby, not Indy) hahahahahahaaaaa.

{{{{{IFISH}}}}}} :kiss:

I remember Gordon's first championship banquet. He was very emotional...and cried a lot. And didn't he do a toast the following year with Sr, with milk?

I remember Tony wearing a hauns device under this tux one year, and didn't Kyle Petty have on what he called his 'Kings shirt' under his coat....the front has Richard Petty on it and the back had Elvis?

The last banquet that I've watched start to finish was in 2001. The tribute to MY driver, Dale Earnhardt, Sr...was fitting.

That Tribute

Suck job, the Banquet is on ESPN Classic, and of course I don't get it. If anything good, or funny, goes down, how about an update when you get a chance.......thanks

Welcome to the thread, Mike from AZ! :rose:

I've heard more than once that a week before the races at PIR, that they have a rattlesnake round up, to gather them up before the crowds start rollin in. :eek: Is there any truth to that??

Not that I know of.

Watching the ESPN Classic coverage of the banquet. Too bad Dale Jr isn't there this year. Maybe next year Junior.

Suck job, the Banquet is on ESPN Classic, and of course I don't get it. If anything good, or funny, goes down, how about an update when you get a chance.......thanks

I'm not getting it either, {{{{{MrFish}}}}}} :kiss:

Not that I know of.

Watching the ESPN Classic coverage of the banquet. Too bad Dale Jr isn't there this year. Maybe next year Junior.

Did they have the most popular driver vote this year...and if so...who won?

So- Big changes in the off-season, only about 35 full time teams to start the year, Robby changes manufacturers again, DEI merges with Ganassi, GEM merges with Petty, HOF merges with Yates....

Any interest in a yahoo fantasy group?

So- Big changes in the off-season, only about 35 full time teams to start the year, Robby changes manufacturers again, DEI merges with Ganassi, GEM merges with Petty, HOF merges with Yates....

Any interest in a yahoo fantasy group?

Are you volunteering to set it up??? :)
Less than a month to go, good deal !!!!
Wouldn't surprise me to see an ARCA driver, or two, make the big show...

I'm in, thanks!!!! Now I just have to find some way to pass the 24 days, and a wake up, hahahaaaaa

Back