Scuttle's Things and Stuffs

Bubbles?
looks around...
him? Bubbles?
fights the urge to giggle

Thanks for the vote of confidence hun. I need to get over this bout of... New Thread Inertia. I'm having a hard time getting excited about any story, and I feel it to be a disservice if I don't offer at least that much to my cowriter.

*snickers* Don't pay attention to her.. it just encourages her.

I have the exact opposite problem, actually. Too many ideas get going, and then I can't possible handle them all.
 
Bubbles?
looks around...
him? Bubbles?
fights the urge to giggle

Thanks for the vote of confidence hun. I need to get over this bout of... New Thread Inertia. I'm having a hard time getting excited about any story, and I feel it to be a disservice if I don't offer at least that much to my cowriter.

Yeah.. he's Bubbles.
A little hard to take him seriously when you call him that.

Side note, and maybe this isn't the place to say anything. But I've watched you and talked with you (on and off) for a while now and two things. You're talented and we all get into ruts, it's all about finding new ways and things to do. I actually write somewhere else now too and that's been immensely helpful staving off boredom.

Second- your AV descriptor totally does you a disservice. I've never seen you cold or heartless.

Just my two cents, darlin.
 
Yeah.. he's Bubbles.
A little hard to take him seriously when you call him that.

Side note, and maybe this isn't the place to say anything. But I've watched you and talked with you (on and off) for a while now and two things. You're talented and we all get into ruts, it's all about finding new ways and things to do. I actually write somewhere else now too and that's been immensely helpful staving off boredom.

Second- your AV descriptor totally does you a disservice. I've never seen you cold or heartless.

Just my two cents, darlin.

It's my thread, and I say this is the place! *firm nod*

And I agree with the second. I was actually thinking exactly that earlier tonight.
 
Yeah.. he's Bubbles.
A little hard to take him seriously when you call him that.

Side note, and maybe this isn't the place to say anything. But I've watched you and talked with you (on and off) for a while now and two things. You're talented and we all get into ruts, it's all about finding new ways and things to do. I actually write somewhere else now too and that's been immensely helpful staving off boredom.

Second- your AV descriptor totally does you a disservice. I've never seen you cold or heartless.

Just my two cents, darlin.
I'll work on that first one.

The second one... is the name calling that's been going on in my head. They've recently arrived to a standoff of silence, thankfully. I'm not entirely certain who's going to come out on top. But the truce is a good thing. It means I can do other things, like write. Instead of trying to mediate.
 
What follows is something of a combination writing exercise and experiment. Read at your own risk.

-----------------------------------------​


He'd lost track of time.

It was late enough that the large library had emptied out considerably, seemingly only now inhabited by those in deep study. Much like him. Deadlines approached, stress built, and his neck was beginning to ache.

A new book was needed, a clarification on something he'd just read, and it was the perfect opportunity to stretch tired muscles as well. Quiet footsteps on thin carpet carried him past tables and among shelves, his head turning side-to-side, searching the numbers at the end of the shelves for the one he was looking for.

The shelf found, he disappeared into the rows of books, fingertips tapping, tapping, tapping over books of varying thickness and height. He finds the one he is after, thumbing quickly through it to assure himself it is indeed what he seeks. Satisfied, he begins making his way slowly back to his table, moving on autopilot as he read.

The turn of a page frees him for a moment to lift his eyes, a quick confirmation that he's not about to walk into something, and it is as his eyes descend back to the open book that he catches sight of her. It is not a true double take, perhaps a take-and-a-half, but his attention is snagged on her, slow steps faltering for a moment.

How he hadn't noticed her when he initially passed by, he has no idea. Overwhelmed with the information he was trying to pack into his brain, most likely. Whatever the cause, he finds his gaze stuck on her for a moment, watching her as he moves closer to her table with each step.

A crossroads was quickly met. A choice to be made. They'd been flirting for some time - little comments in class, exchanged looks, obviously intentional accidental brushes against each other - and here seemed the perfect opportunity to do push that a little further along. Or, be the responsible person he knew he should and go back to his table to finish studying.

He was lowering his body into the seat across from her before he gave himself another moment to talk himself out of it. The book was closed and set down in front of him, a grin lifting the corners of his lips, lightening his blue eyes.

"Studying hard?"
 
tumblr_me0uo24qBH1rlhn3lo1_500.jpg

stealing this lol
 
There was the subtle bob of her head as the music blared in her ears, the words riding on the hard beat of the drums, punctuated at each down beat. She was in the zone and firing on all cylinders.

With the song on repeat, it faded into the background. Simply a structure, a path to conduct thought flow as she pored over the book and her meticulous notes. A fresh sheet of paper was starting to fill up as her cheat sheet. Neat little bullet points with concise notes on what she had found important. The act of writing reinforcing the events to memory and acting as a trigger to the dates of history.

She hated history. Too many damn dates.

Everything was important. And nothing at all. She really could care less when Prohibition occurred. Her hand clenched around her pen in annoyance. Shit. When was the Prohibition...

Pages flew by as she searched for the page in her notes that covered this time period. Cursing when she came to a stand still. The page started with the neatly printed “Prohibition: 1920 ~ 1933” across the top, with two sentences below it that were not legible. About half way through a number the pencil mark had extended in a jagged line all the way down to the bottom of the page, as the writer had fallen asleep.

Now dance, fucker, dance. Man, I never had a chance...


Her song had quite aptly phrased her predicament. She turned to her book with a growl of frustration. Hoping, that she’d be able to recover some of the lost information the day she decided to doze off in class.

She was preoccupied. Her hand was about to cramp given how long she’d been jotting down notes on her cheat sheet. She never saw him coming.

“Studying hard?”

She jumped. The words jarred her from the book and the chaos of papers. Her writing hand jerked and cramped, knocking over a stack of flashcards in his direction. Yanking the earbuds out, she offered an embarrassed smile. How long had he been sitting there?

“Oh gosh. I’m sorry....” The earbuds now blared their charge into the air between them now that they weren’t constrained to her ears. Sheepishly, she stopped the music.

“Yeah. I need the grade, and I’m not particularly good at the subject.” She chuckled as she leaned forward to collect the wave of flash cards that had strewn itself over the book and his side of the table. “Aren’t you studying too? Or is this a study break?”
 
Last edited:
He couldn't help but to laugh, hands lifting off the table and away from the cascade of flash cards she sends his way. His brows lift in a bit of surprise at the volume of his laugh, one hand covering his mouth. Wide eyes scan the area around them quickly and then, discovering it empty, his hand falls away to reveal a wide grin.

"Yeah, studying too. Just had to get a book."

A tap of his fingers indicate the thick book set before him on the table, and then he lifts out of his chair slightly, leaning forward to read her paper.

"Prohibition? Yikes. I don't think I'd be able to help you much there."

He felt a movement as he sat back in his chair and glanced down, finding a stray flash card that had fallen over the edge of the table. Reaching down, he snatched it up and started to offer it to her, then stopped halfway across the table.

His expression turned mischievous.

The card was pulled back.

"You know..."

He tapped the card against his lips as he considered her, the wheels in his head clearly turning. His eyes left her, a quickly taking stock of the area around them again, confirming once more that they were alone at least in this section, and then his gaze settled on here again.

"I think I'll keep this."

Grinning broadly, unable to help it, he scooped the book up off the table and stood again, the card pinched between his index and middle finger and held up.

"But if you need it... come get it."

And with that he turned, book in one hand, card in the other, heading back in the direction of the shelf the book had been pulled from.
 
She reached across the table to take the card from him, only to have the card slip past her fingertips as he takes it back. Her brows furrow. What was he up to? She follows his surreptitious looks, left then right. Her confusion fades when she catches the mischievous glint in his eye. He’s up to something...

"I think I'll keep this."

She arched a brow in askance. “But...” The protest is offered half heartedly, a crooked smile forming at corner of her mouth. She didn’t finish, much more interested in how he planned to play out his hand than to stop him.

"But if you need it... come get it."

She shook her head with a chuckle. Her fingers corralling the stray cards into a disheveled heap before she followed after him. His pace quickened once she started on his tail, but she doesn’t falter. Stalking him with measured steps. When he turned to glance back at her, she ducked into an aisle to peer at him through the gap in the books.

Where was he going?


He turned down an aisle, and she grins, knowing that he saw her turn down the aisle just before his in response. Ducking low, she could make out his torso between books as he moved down the lane.

“I can see you...” She called softly in a sing-song voice.

She caught snatches of him and then suddenly... he vanished. Perplexed, she started into a run to reach the end. Running straight into him when she turned the corner.
 
~ She had been curled up, out of sight for the most part, staying well within the shadows. Watching Him and his "playthings" was always such great entertainment for her... but then Neko popped in and left... candy... ~

OOooo candy.....
 
His heart was thumping well in his chest now, a sudden game of cat and mouse upon them. A glance back and he caught site of her ducking between two shelves. His pace increased as soon as she was out of sight, moving quickly past one more set of shelves and then ducking between them. Just around the corner he stopped, straining to listen and, upon hearing nothing, silently cursing the carpeting.

He wound quickly a shelf closer, then slowed his pace to try to listen for her again. Her footsteps still seemed silent, and he was about to race to the end of the shelf to peek around when he caught her voice, drifting through the shelf quite near him. Bending at the knees he peeked over the top of a shorter stack of books, but couldn't find her.

Hm. Which way to go...

On a whim he turned and headed for the end of the shelf, trying to keep his steps quiet on the carpet as he did. He hoped he'd picked the opposite end she was headed for, so he could slip past her and then be able to sneak up from the shelf behind her.

He quickly discovered he'd have no such luck.

It was only their difference in height that kept them from knocking heads as she ran fully into him, their respective momentum thrown into the other person and staggering each of them back a couple steps. A laugh was forced out of him, almost a blurt, but he recovered quickly from the shock of it and held the card up for her to see.

"Alright, alright... you've found me. Now what will you give me to get it back?"
 
She staggered back with a laugh, the sound stifled to keep the staff from finding them. Her eyes danced with mirth as she heaved to catch her breath. He recovered before her.

"Alright, alright... you've found me. Now what will you give me to get it back?"

She didn’t need it, but he probably knew that already.

While her breath calmed, her heart pounded as she watched him. Took the time she needed to gauge him and what he wanted.

Two sauntering steps made the distance between them disappear. Another half step and she was too close. Her eyes were on him. Never once had they wavered to see the card he held. She was close, enough that it was an effort not to touch him.

She broke the space between them as she rolled to her toes and kissed him. The gesture was brief. Soft lips pressed to the corner of his mouth. Her lower lip caught on the stubble of his 5 o'clock shadow as she pulled away.

“The first new deal. 1933 to 1934. “ A glance at the card told her what was on the other side. “You can keep it now. I don’t think I’ll forget that one.”

She grinned and turned from him, her fingers fluttering in a wave as she sauntered back the way she came.
 
Silent eyes followed her as she approached, his brows pushing up slightly. A strange mixture of curiosity and excitement flowed through him, made him feel almost jittery as she approached. He held her gaze, quite unsure he'd be able to look away now if he wanted to. He felt as if something was happening, a new tone in what had been up until this point almost innocent flirting, but it felt fragile. A house of cards, and the wrong movement could send it all tumbling down.

He was barely breathing when her lips touched him, eyelids falling half-closed.

He moved, just the lift of his hand to touch her cheek, and that was when she pulled away and started talking about something it took him a moment to comprehend. The first new deal? Wha-?

Eyes fully open, he followed her gaze as he went to the card, then slipped back to her, a low laugh slipping from his throat. Keep it? It was like he was on a train, headed towards his destination, the ride smooth and well on it's way... and then the train completely derailed. She was turning, walking away, hips swaying alluringly as she took step after step away from him.

A moment passed before he snapped out of the oddly stunned feeling he felt, surprised at first by the kiss, then by her retreat from him, the energy between them hard to grasp for the moment.

He glanced at the card in his hand. A card she apparently didn't need anymore.

He looked back to her, still moving away from him.

Carpe motherfucking Diem, he thought.

The card was tucked into a back pocket, a glance was cast up the row behind him to quickly confirm it was still empty, and then he was moving.

Swift, determined steps carried him to her. Each one drained the nervous excitement that seemed to ricochet through him, replaced it with a confidence that he had no idea whether or not reality justified it. But he was going to find out. It had felt so close just a moment before. It wasn't an opportunity he was going to let slip through his fingers.

He reached her in short order, a hand reaching out and across his body to her opposite shoulder, stopping her and turning her around. He gave no time for protest, no time for questions, no time for hesitations or second guesses. As soon as she was facing him, he stepped into her, the hand on her shoulder lifting, fingers diving into her hair, pressing against her scalp. His arm looped around her, another hand pressed to the small of her back, pulling her body to his.

The impulse was embraced, their bodies pulled together, and a moment later their lips were as well, joined fully for the first time.
 
Would he come? The thought triggered in the back of her mind. Would he come after her? He had been the one to initiate their cat and mouse game. She had gone after him. It was not a subtle give and take. Now that he was “it”, would he come?

What if he didn’t? Did she just blow it?

She took deep breaths to stay calm and fought the urge to look back at him. Measured steps, so that it wasn’t obvious she was slowing down for him. She tried to listen for his response, but her own heartbeat was too loud.

Calm down. Calm down....

Her heart jumped when his hand touched her shoulder. Things happened fast. Too fast. She would have staggered at the force of his control had he not pulled her in and....

Oh fuck me.

Thoughts ceased. She vaguely recognized her own response. The gasp of surprise, contained between their lips, faded as she yielded to him, molded against him. Her hand splayed, snaked around him. Her body pressed to his, as if she could be closer. Her own softer curves a stark contrast to the harder cut of his.

Her other hand lifted, to touch the line of his jaw. Together small meandering steps led them backwards, lips locked, bodies touching, until the her back bumped into the metal shelf behind her. She groaned, the sound reverberating between them, and the jarring ache made her break their connection.

Her lower lip was caught between her teeth as she looked up at him through half lidded eyes. Suddenly very glad that the shelf was behind her. She needed the extra stability, to remind herself to breath, to anchor her. She might not be standing if another one of those....

She wasn’t sure she cared.

“You know...”The whisper was husky, as if she were whispering a dirty secret to his ear.“I’m not sure the … librarian would... approve.”
 
Her gasp seemed to create a vacuum between them, pulling them somehow closer together. He was acutely aware of her body on his, the swell of her breasts on his chest, the firm curve of her hips against him, the warmth of her radiating into him.

They moved. It was a sight that could look nothing but awkward on the outside, the closeness of them allowed for only small steps, but he felt as if they flowed like water, gliding on forces unseen and incomprehensible. The shelf her back eventually found only made it possible for the pressure between them to grow, their bodies melding together.

Her groan seemed a jolt of electricity through him, a sound that knitted his brow together and was echoed by the breaking of their kiss. It was a short moment, the span of a breath drawn in then released, before his eyes opened to find her looking up at him, and a slow grin spread across shining lips.

"Then... we'd best not get caught." His voice was just above a whisper, a low rumble that ran through his chest and along his throat.

Caution had already been cast to the wind and not come back to smack him in the back of the head for his trouble, and so there was no hesitation left within him. The thought of actually getting caught never even entered his mind. His need to feel her, to taste her again, was a runaway freight train that he was merely a passenger on. And he had every intention of sweeping her up in it.

His knees bent, fingers leaving her hair to descend her body, the muscles in his arm flexing as he lifted her to him. Her legs were pulled around his waist, his hands moving along her to support her weight. He pulled her back off the end of the shelf, not even a cautionary glance thrown in either direction to see if they'd yet been discovered by someone else on a short break from studying, and he carried her around the corner and between the high shelves.

He didn't go far down the isle, only a step or two, before he turned to join the shelf and her back once more. Her lips were claimed again quickly, the soft pillow of them beginning to snuff out a fire that raged inside him, drove him to this point and, some part of him knew, would surge right past it without even a consideration of slowing down.
 
"Then... we'd best not get caught." His voice was just above a whisper, a dirty little secret shared between the two of them in a rumble more felt than heard.

Her lower lip pulled free as she smiled. They were so close. It would be easy to close that distance... she was about to. But he had other plans.

Her breath drew sharp when his fingers untangled from her hair and descended down her back. There was something terribly powerful, extremely male about the ripple in muscle as he lifted her to him. There was a subtle arch in her body. Whether it was from the small tingle where his hands had inadvertently passed, or from the need to balance herself on him... she didn’t know.

Her arms shifted to wrap around his neck, with her elbows resting on his shoulder as the rest of her arms draped languidly over. Her legs spread. The only natural thing to do really, considering her position. Her feet hooking around his hips to steady herself on him.

“Show off.” She whispered with a grin. Their noses brushing in the balancing sway of her body as he took the few steps to his desired destination.

Back against the shelf. Again. The impact wasn't hard. Not enough to bruise, but just enough to hurt and her heels dug into his ass in response. A grunt of pain was all she had the chance to voice before he claimed her lips again. The ache where the edge of the shelf dug into her back made her fierce. Her lips pressed hard into his. Her hands slid to tangle fingers into his hair as she tasted of his lips. A sharp demand that he returned.

Brief. Once more broken by her own volition.

"That hurt." She murmured against his lips, a breath away. "How're you going to make it up to me?"

Her hands coiled sharply into his hair. Firmly in the driver's seat, she took small kisses from him. Light and gentle. Broken almost as quickly as they meet.
 
All at once, the fact that they were in a library, that they could be caught at any moment, that real trouble lurked in the prospect of their being discovered, was eradicated from his mind. So many times, he had thought of this moment, of her taste, the way her body would feel under his hands.

He was instantly addicted to her scent.

As her heels dug into him he arched a bit, a natural and unconscious response that resulted in their hips tight together, and a low sound of pleasure in his throat at the feel of her against him. He wished he could shut off nerves at will, focus only on the feel of her arms around his neck, then the firm shape of her breasts against his chest, the heat and hard pressure of her hips, and finally the squeeze of her legs around him. Instead, it was all there at once, too much to focus on only one thing, too good to resist not trying anyway.

The hardness of her kiss made sure any effort was doomed to failure.

His brow knitted together for a quick moment when she told him the shelf had hurt, but his expression shifted into a mixture of pleasure and pain delivered by her fingers in his hair. His mind felt like it was struggling to catch up, stitching together disparate thoughts into something that revealed a coherent idea, but ever kiss she landed on his lips undid some of the process.

Secluded... usually empty. Philosophy? No, no.. Goddammit, she tasted good. The School of.. something. The fuck was it? School of... School of...

Law!


The realization caused him to grip her tighter against him, press his body harder against hers, excitement driving him to capture her mouth in another hard kiss.

"I'll make it up to you by remembering that the Law School kids are already done, so that whole section of the library is empty," he whispered upon severing the kiss and leaning his forehead against hers, trying in the process to catch breath he hadn't realized until now he'd lost.
 
He was thinking. The knitted brow was cute, the struggle to maintain his broken thought even more adorable. She smiled between kisses as she stole bits of his thoughts away. A slow undoing of the mind.

A soft groan rumbled through her when his realization dawned upon him. A rumble of sound between locked lips. Her heels dug harder into his ass and her spread legs leave her sex vulnerable to their proximity, held at bay by those scant layers of jeans.

Shared breath, soft lips compressed to hardness in the intensity of their intimacy. Where her world collapsed down to just him. The taste of him on her lips. The iron grip that must be indenting against her thighs. The way her body molded so well to his. The way...

He broke their connection, leaving her breathless.

It took a moment for his words to penetrate her mind. And another long moment for her to comprehend it. A blink. Then two. The loss of his lips a bewildering feeling.

“Shall we go then? Will you put me down?” A smile as she held herself to him even as his arms allowed a slow descent. Her hips rolled, legs squeezed. Enough control held to grind against him before she uncurled and stepped to the ground.

Even grounded, she was reluctant to lose their closeness. The subtle mix of cologne and his own smell that was distinctly him. The scratchy graze of his chin against the tip of her nose. All the small things that built up the simplicity of just being with him, made her want to stay. right. there.

It was only a moment, a long moment before her arms dropped away from his shoulders. She rose to her toes and kissed him. Lightly, on the corner of his lips and her mouth catching on his familiar stubble. Quite like how they’d started their tryst.

“You’re it this time.” A soft whisper as lips left skin. And then she’s gone from his arms. Brisk steps take her around the corner, and the chase begins once more.
 
Back
Top