HPIM3000.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM3001.jpg
    HPIM3001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM3003.jpg
    HPIM3003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 15
Sweet Potatoes And Peanuts Harvest Time. The peanuts are a test planting, so there wont be many this time, but the test was a success, and next year I'll plant 80 or so.

The sweet potatoes look good. They average 16-20 ounces each. I expect to harvest 100 pounds. 10 pounds so far.

Attachments

• HPIM3004.jpg
    HPIM3004.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM3005.jpg
    HPIM3005.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
I've got some beautiful romas and green beans. Had some lief lettuce and radishes, but their season is done. Cukes are starting to come in. Had a few more tomato and bell pepper plants, but some really heavy rain killed em

I've got some beautiful romas and green beans. Had some lief lettuce and radishes, but their season is done. Cukes are starting to come in. Had a few more tomato and bell pepper plants, but some really heavy rain killed em

I'm harvesting sweet potatoes and peanuts at the moment.

Just planted turnips, carrots, scallions, cabbages, and spinach.

In a month I'll plant broccoli and cauliflower.

Grapes!

Attachments

• HPIM3008.jpg
    HPIM3008.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM3010.jpg
    HPIM3010.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM3011.jpg
    HPIM3011.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 6
What do you use for weeds? I've got some pretty good weed be dead but this year it isn't working. I'm thinking of trying a salt/vinegar combo. Dont wanna fuck up the pavers and cement though

What do you use for weeds? I've got some pretty good weed be dead but this year it isn't working. I'm thinking of trying a salt/vinegar combo. Dont wanna fuck up the pavers and cement though

I pull the weeds and use them for compost. Sweet potato vines also control weeds well.

I planted lettuce around a few of my beds. Those kept the weeds at bay. Somethin about plantinga weed to stop a weed

My peaches are starting to get ripe this week, yummm. :cattail: I really appreciate the work of the people who bred a peach-tree that fruits reliably in pennsylvania and even farther north. :heart: And this will be the first year I have asian pears, those should be ripe next month.

My peaches are starting to get ripe this week, yummm. :cattail: I really appreciate the work of the people who bred a peach-tree that fruits reliably in pennsylvania and even farther north. :heart: And this will be the first year I have asian pears, those should be ripe next month.

Peaches are a challenge here in Central Florida. I got two this year but I wasn't supposed to get any. My pears look good but I'm not looking for any fruit yet. Pears grow in Florida but theyre not eating pears. Eating pears are new. That said I got plenty of bunch grapes this season, 40 years ago bunch grapes were impossible. Guavas look good, too.

ANOTHER WATERMELON SUCCESS.
The more yellow the bottom is, the better the melon. I've had zero failures so far.

Attachments

• HPIM3019.jpg
    HPIM3019.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 19
Grapes, Lemons, India Red Guavas

Attachments

• HPIM3020.jpg
    HPIM3020.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM3021.jpg
    HPIM3021.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM3023.jpg
    HPIM3023.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 12
Do you plant just one variety of grape? I finally staked my grape plants and 2 of them did well. The third shriveled up and died on me, so I am looking to replace it. I don't know if I should get the same one as the others or buy a different one for cross pollination. That is what cross pollination is, right? :confused:

Last edited:
Do you plant just one variety of grape? I finally staked my grape plants and 2 of them did well. The third shriveled up and died on me, so I am looking to replace it. I don't know if I should get the same one as the others or buy a different one for cross pollination. That is was cross pollination is, right? :confused:

I'm in Florida. Thirty years ago bunch grapes came here to die.

That said, I planted 3-4 varieties 3 years ago, and the one you see survived. I have not a clue why it survived and thrives. I, of course, don't cross pollinate as I have only one grape. I grew Muscadine grapes in the 70s, but theyre a different kettle of fish from wine grapes.

I'm in Florida. Thirty years ago bunch grapes came here to die.

That said, I planted 3-4 varieties 3 years ago, and the one you see survived. I have not a clue why it survived and thrives. I, of course, don't cross pollinate as I have only one grape. I grew Muscadine grapes in the 70s, but theyre a different kettle of fish from wine grapes.

I'm only growing grapes for eating not wine making. Are muscadine grapes good for snacking?

Trying to figure out this whole garden thing. The where and when to plant things can be very confusing. :eek:

I'm only growing grapes for eating not wine making. Are muscadine grapes good for snacking?

Trying to figure out this whole garden thing. The where and when to plant things can be very confusing. :eek:

No. Muscadines have a thick skin like leather. People use them to make wine and jelly. I don't plan to make wine anytime soon. 9 bunches of grapes is too few.

Garden theory is easy. The tough part is devoting the time it requires.

No. Muscadines have a thick skin like leather. People use them to make wine and jelly. I don't plan to make wine anytime soon. 9 bunches of grapes is too few.

Garden theory is easy. The tough part is devoting the time it requires.

I don't know there is also the fact that there are 15000 different ways to do it or that you are supposed to do it... it can get overwhelming. :eek:

When grapes die it is almost always either root fungus or a bad graft.

This was a bad transplant. I had to move it to attach to the trellis and I am afraid I damaged it badly. I am starting to think I have no business gardening.

I don't know there is also the fact that there are 15000 different ways to do it or that you are supposed to do it... it can get overwhelming. :eek:

This was a bad transplant. I had to move it to attach to the trellis and I am afraid I damaged it badly. I am starting to think I have no business gardening.

People say there are 15000 ways but in reality what works for one works for all.

First! Don't try and grow everything. Grow what you really like and grow it in quantities that are sufficient for your needs.

Second! For everything there is a season. This summer I grew sweet potatoes and okra. They luv the heat that destroys tomatoes and cukes and melons.

Third! Nature will take care of your pests if you let her. If you have aphids Lady Bugs will eat them. Wasps love worms and caterpillars. I use black soldier fly maggots to turn all my refuse into rich compost.

Here in Florida we have 4 seasons: 3/15, 6/15, 9/15, and 12/15.

Transplants should really only be done when the plant is dormant. This applies 99% of the time. And, of course, transplanted properly. If you *have* to do it, precautions should be taken like root pruning, trenching, etc and keeping a drip on it all summer

Back