Movies!

I'm big into action, si fi and horror. We have the Netflix internet stream so it has allowed us to watch a lot more movies then we have in years.

Last one I watched was Death Race 3. I loved the original and the remake was also good. #3 was just OK but for free, worth the watch. Not as much violence as the original or the remake which led me to the let down with it. After it was over I had the list of movies I might like and Death Race 2 was listed. I'm in the process of trying to watch that one now. See how it goes.

I went to see an awesome Indian movie yesterday: The Lunchbox.

If you don't know, in India they have a very cool system at place, where wives make lunch at home and pack it, then a guy picks it up and it's transported to the husband's workplace. The empty containers are then brough back by the same guys. I was hoping the movie would finally shed some light to how the hell that system really manages to work, alas it didn't. But it was a very good movie nevertheless. :)

A woman in an unhappy marriage cooks lunches for his husband with the help of an auntie living in the apartment above theirs. She tries new recipes and hopes that it would wake up the husband and make their relationship better again. The food is delivered to a wrong guy and they start sending little notes to each other in the lunchbox, where they talk about life in general.

It was such a good movie. I can't remember feeling that happy and satisfied with the movie I'd picked leaving a movie theater in a long, long time. And no, there were none of those classic Bollywood singing and dancing scenes. :)

Sounds good!

:rose:

I went to see an awesome Indian movie yesterday: The Lunchbox.

If you don't know, in India they have a very cool system at place, where wives make lunch at home and pack it, then a guy picks it up and it's transported to the husband's workplace. The empty containers are then brough back by the same guys. I was hoping the movie would finally shed some light to how the hell that system really manages to work, alas it didn't. But it was a very good movie nevertheless. :)

A woman in an unhappy marriage cooks lunches for his husband with the help of an auntie living in the apartment above theirs. She tries new recipes and hopes that it would wake up the husband and make their relationship better again. The food is delivered to a wrong guy and they start sending little notes to each other in the lunchbox, where they talk about life in general.

It was such a good movie. I can't remember feeling that happy and satisfied with the movie I'd picked leaving a movie theater in a long, long time. And no, there were none of those classic Bollywood singing and dancing scenes. :)

I watched The Double.

It's a movie based on Dostoyevski's novella The Double. I loved the novella when I first read it in highschool was really excited when I heard that Richard Ayoade is directing it into a film.

The movie was visually very simplistic, dark. Interesting. I thought it portrayed the claustrophobic feeling of the book really well. I loved it, but my friend found it completely confusing. I think it helped that I had read the story before, even if I didn't remember all of it, so I knew the themes.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure reading the book helped you. It does not sound like something I would enjoy.

I watched The Double.

It's a movie based on Dostoyevski's novella The Double. I loved the novella when I first read it in highschool was really excited when I heard that Richard Ayoade is directing it into a film.

The movie was visually very simplistic, dark. Interesting. I thought it portrayed the claustrophobic feeling of the book really well. I loved it, but my friend found it completely confusing. I think it helped that I had read the story before, even if I didn't remember all of it, so I knew the themes.

I watched A Late Quartet tonight. I absolutely loved it, loved it. Philip Seymour Hoffman and classical music. How could a movie get any better?

I watched 13 13 13 the other night on Netflix. Classic cheesy B horror but I never shut it off. I wish it had a better ending but still good

I saw "The Edge of Tomorrow," the near-future alien invasion movie where Tom Cruise finds himself living the Battle of Europe over and over each day.

I loved it.

I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but I found it thoughtful, action-packed, and possessed of a sense of humor. Dear god, save us from SF and superhero movies without a sense of humor (looking at you, "Man of Steel.").

And it has a strong female lead, who isn't there just to be a love interest.

Short review? Groundhog Day, with aliens.

Last edited:
I want to see it. I hate giving my money to Scientology but yeah, I want to see it!

I saw "The Edge of Tomorrow," the near-future alien invasion movie where Tom Cruise finds himself living the Battle of Europe over and over each day.

I loved it.

I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but I found it thoughtful, action-packed, and possessed of a sense of humor. Dear god, save us from SF and superhero movies without a sense of humor (looking at you, "Man of Steel.").

And it has a strong female lead, who isn't there just to be a love interest.

Short review? Groundhog Day, with aliens.

I didn't want to see it, but it was the best option at the time. It was surprisingly entertaining. I agree that I loved the sense of humor it had in it. I think that helped make the movie. Just my little opinion. :)

i like horrors, thriller movies, and documentaries. I also watch an occasional sci fi movie with the husband. I am a huge serial killer nerd. Very into the psychological aspect that makes them tick. My husband claims that one day hes just going to disappear and no one will ever know a thing with everything that i know :p. i recently have watched Serving life, 13 sins, mind of a rampage killer, forensic files. Ted Bundy is a good one it does a great job depicting who the real Ted bundy was. Sadly there hasn't been any good new horror flicks in a while. I did watch free birds with my youngest last night. it was a decent movie.

My girl who has mental health issues is into movies like this too. My issue is why put that into your brain when you have issues? Why not fill your brain with positive imagoes. If she wasn't my daugther and she didn't have some kind of serious undiagnosed mental condition I would not care but in her case it does worry me and I don't think it's very therapeutic.

As for myself I like suspense but not horror. These days I need light happy fare to counteract the shit we are going through.

i like horrors, thriller movies, and documentaries. I also watch an occasional sci fi movie with the husband. I am a huge serial killer nerd. Very into the psychological aspect that makes them tick. My husband claims that one day hes just going to disappear and no one will ever know a thing with everything that i know :p. i recently have watched Serving life, 13 sins, mind of a rampage killer, forensic files. Ted Bundy is a good one it does a great job depicting who the real Ted bundy was. Sadly there hasn't been any good new horror flicks in a while. I did watch free birds with my youngest last night. it was a decent movie.

My girl who has mental health issues is into movies like this too. My issue is why put that into your brain when you have issues? Why not fill your brain with positive imagoes. If she wasn't my daugther and she didn't have some kind of serious undiagnosed mental condition I would not care but in her case it does worry me and I don't think it's very therapeutic.

As for myself I like suspense but not horror. These days I need light happy fare to counteract the shit we are going through.

For me its the psychological aspect in which serial killers act upon. They are a different breed of killers that most cannot understand. They don't just kill because they are pissed its more of a need, a desire and its not the kill per say but the high that it gives them, not that makes it anymore right what so ever just makes them unique. It will one day hopefully be my line of work. I am getting my doctorates in criminal psychology and masters in forensics. I could care less about the gore. Gore actually does nothing for me. Most movies out there these days are pretty lame. They need to go back to the 80's and early 90's and see what a good movie looks like.

I am sorry that you are dealing with what you are with your daughter. I can understand wanting the light stuff with having to deal with that. Mental disorders are tricky and depending on what one it is it could or could not be therapeutic for her. I recently read a book called "The serial killer whisperer". It is based on a true story of a brain injury survivor and when he came to from his injuries he was a whole different person with anger issues and just a array of mental disorders. Writing to serial killers and befriending them actually was therapeutic to him and helped him as he could relate but saw how he was different. In real life he has helped solve numerous cold cases. But anyhow you need to do whats best for her and your family. Ive been there done that with my brother. Not fun to deal with. I feel for you.

I think of it as a misdirected sex drive thing. From my research they are just driven that way. How they got there is a big nature / nurture question. The longer I research the more I think nature with bad nurturing combined.

Have you read Mind Hunter by one of the first FBI profilers, John Douglas? After reading many serial killer novels in which the killers were always brilliant, unbeatable criminals this book eased my anxiety.

For me its the psychological aspect in which serial killers act upon. They are a different breed of killers that most cannot understand. They don't just kill because they are pissed its more of a need, a desire and its not the kill per say but the high that it gives them, not that makes it anymore right what so ever just makes them unique. It will one day hopefully be my line of work. I am getting my doctorates in criminal psychology and masters in forensics. I could care less about the gore. Gore actually does nothing for me. Most movies out there these days are pretty lame. They need to go back to the 80's and early 90's and see what a good movie looks like.

I am sorry that you are dealing with what you are with your daughter. I can understand wanting the light stuff with having to deal with that. Mental disorders are tricky and depending on what one it is it could or could not be therapeutic for her. I recently read a book called "The serial killer whisperer". It is based on a true story of a brain injury survivor and when he came to from his injuries he was a whole different person with anger issues and just a array of mental disorders. Writing to serial killers and befriending them actually was therapeutic to him and helped him as he could relate but saw how he was different. In real life he has helped solve numerous cold cases. But anyhow you need to do whats best for her and your family. Ive been there done that with my brother. Not fun to deal with. I feel for you.

Last edited:
I think of it as a misdirected sex drive thing. From my research they are just driven that way. How they got there is a big nature / nurture question. The longer I research the more I think nature with bad nurturing combined.

Have you read Mind Hunter by one of the first FBI profilers, John Douglas? After reading many serial killer novels in which the killers were always brilliant, unbeatable criminals this book eased my anxiety.

That is a very good way of thinking of it. Its a turn on to them. From what I have read the nurture/nature is really in the air. Some come from really screwed up backgrounds, some come from the "perfect" family. They are now leaning towards hormonal balance or misfiring of the brain on what makes a psychopath but they have yet to learn why some people can control it and some cant.

I have not read Mind Hunter yet but it is on my night stand to read after my current book. I need to get to it because sadly here soon the only thing i will have time to read is case files, algebraic equations and text books. Ive kinda been more wrapped up in learning new things regarding bdsm, dom/sub life style, and s/m.

That does not sound fun but I'm sure you'll find a way to make it so.

Odd Thomas was a fairly faithful to the book movie but oh so much more shallow with it's twilight isk actors and so on.

That is a very good way of thinking of it. Its a turn on to them. From what I have read the nurture/nature is really in the air. Some come from really screwed up backgrounds, some come from the "perfect" family. They are now leaning towards hormonal balance or misfiring of the brain on what makes a psychopath but they have yet to learn why some people can control it and some cant.

I have not read Mind Hunter yet but it is on my night stand to read after my current book. I need to get to it because sadly here soon the only thing i will have time to read is case files, algebraic equations and text books. Ive kinda been more wrapped up in learning new things regarding bdsm, dom/sub life style, and s/m.

Not a movie, but a TV series...

Les Revenants (The Returned) is a French series about a small town that loses a bunch of school kids in a bus accident. 4 years later the dead start returning. It's not a gore-y zombie thing at all, but the dead come back without remembering their death and simply acting like no time has passed and nothing has happened at all.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I can already say that this is easily some of the best TV I've watched this year, along with Top of the Lake and True Detective.

Last edited:
I really want to see this!

Not a movie, but a TV series...

Les Revenants (The Returned) is a French series about a small town that loses a bunch of school kids in a bus accident. 4 years later the dead start returning. It's not a gore-y zombie thing at all, but the dead come back without remembering their death and simply acting like no time has passed and nothing has happened at all.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I can already say that this is easily some of the best TV I've watched this year, along with Top of the Lake and True Detective.

"The Man from Earth"

I heard about a movie and found a copy to watch. it's not the kind of movie most people would enjoy as it is composed almost entirely of dialogue. To explain, it is mostly a dialogue of intellectual argument between the main character and his close friends for the past 10 years, when he reveals that he is a 14,000 years old (cro-magnon) man.

That is not a "spoiler" as that is revealed close to the beginning.

This movie was a final screenplay written by Jerome Bixby, who also wrote "Requiem for Methuselah", a Star Trek episode from the original series which involved the very same concept.

It might be pointed out that this is a movie that should not be watched by someone with strong religious convictions.

I found the movie interesting because it involved giving a point of view regarding what everyone knows about the "facts" of history.

I heard about a movie and found a copy to watch. it's not the kind of movie most people would enjoy as it is composed almost entirely of dialogue. To explain, it is mostly a dialogue of intellectual argument between the main character and his close friends for the past 10 years, when he reveals that he is a 14,000 years old (cro-magnon) man.

That is not a "spoiler" as that is revealed close to the beginning.

This movie was a final screenplay written by Jerome Bixby, who also wrote "Requiem for Methuselah", a Star Trek episode from the original series which involved the very same concept.

It might be pointed out that this is a movie that should not be watched by someone with strong religious feelings.

I found the movie interesting because it involved giving a point of view regarding what everyone knows about the "facts" of history.

Name of the movie?

Name of the movie?

You should have waited an extra minute as I already added it in an edit. I forgot to add it to the title of the posting I tend to go back and edit my posting a lot nowadays as I read and notice I leave out a lot! :rolleyes:

"The Man from Earth"

Back