How to cope with nausea?

Red_Kiss

Experienced
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Posts
79
Hi all,

Do any of my fellow females have a strategy for dealing with hormone-based nausea? I'm on the second pack of a new BC pill and this queasiness is kicking my ass. I'm also 100% sure that this isn't morning sickness; I've done two tests, both negative. (Whew.) I find that as I cycle through the month the nausea dissipates; it's this first week or so that's rough.

This is what I've tried so far: saltines, ginger extract, ginger ale, 7 up, taking the pill at night with food and eating lightly and blandly.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm miserable.:(
 
You might want to ask your doctor for a script for Zofran until this passes. it really works for me when I am on any medication that makes me feel nauseated to the point of not being able to function. Maybe some ginger tea would help soothe it as well.
 
you may need a different pill. Birth control should not be causing nausea (specially that severe). Talk to your doctor and see if you may need a different type.
 
hey...

to get over nausea from morphine I used candied ginger,
it also helps to knock osteoarthritist pain as well.
 
you may need a different pill. Birth control should not be causing nausea (specially that severe). Talk to your doctor and see if you may need a different type.

This

But especially talk to your doctor. Any time a medication is doing something it shouldn't be you call your doc. You've given it plenty of time to be an adjustment phase if you're on the second month.
Safe now is always better than sorry later.

Good luck
:rose:
 
I agree with the "call your doctor" advice. I presume that the "whew" indicates that you would prefer to avoid pregnancy at this time and there are multiple options that are still safe for a woman in her mid thirties. Until you can be seen, keep hydrated. Adding lemon to water often makes it more palatable while nauseated and increases salivation. Also.. it is certainly not unheard of to experience false negatives on home pregnancy tests in the first trimester. The doc may choose to evaluate other medical situations, including pregnancy, prior to changing your prescribed treatment.

Hang in there!
 
I am on the "call your doctor" bandwagon as well... but until you get there, try peppermint. It's an easily accessible anti-emetic, so just smelling it without eating it might help settle your stomach.

Definitely keep hydrated.

A small sip of ice cold lemonade every five minutes will keep your blood sugars up (nausea and vomiting can lower it), and keep the stomach moving. Leaving it empty too long will only increase the nausea. Same with dry toast or dry crackers, if you can hold them down. Keep it small and slow.

Hope that helps.
 
I appreciate everyone's advice so far. Today was awful; I agree that I've given this a fair chance and it's time to switch. It seems that I tolerate it well except for the intense nausea and that's definitely a deal breaker.

I guess I can look at it as a morning sickness test drive. :rolleyes:
 
Definitely an appointment with your doc is on your list.

About the sugar, if you have a can of fruit in heavy syrup, you can try teaspoons of the syrup. It used to help me with a med issue.

Good luck and I hope you can get some relief.:rose:
 
Back
Top