The SCOURIES reader – for both fans and serious scholars…

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends how close it is to Disney World

Well, actually, Danielle, I'd like to believe it. Wouldn't it be nice if we could earn money by writing stories from the comfort of our home? I know you make money from your books, but the rest of us are wanna be writers. Only, in my case, I know I'm a little better than average writer at best. I realize my limitations. My strength is being able to write so much and many of my stories are creatively different.

I'd like to believe that Scouries is making money on this site. To me, it makes sense that he would or could. It behooves the owners of the site to keep writers who maintains their draw of readers. I hope he is making some money from posting his work here because then that would open the door for the rest of us to make some money.

Uhm, the swamp land you have for sale, how close is it to the water way? How many acres? How much are you asking? How close is it to Disney World? Is it solid enough that I can rest a lawn chair on it without sinking? There no alligators in there, is there?

(lol)

Damn!

"Even your dog Riley is cuter than my dog Polo."

This is a free site and while I can see Manu and Laurel maybe looking into some of Scouries better ideas, I doubt they'd pay him anything to write here since it is a free site. He's been asked before to show proof, to take a photo of one of his royalty checks..blah blah blah, but when it comes to anything but running his mouth, he's pretty useless.

Riley got his first haircut yesterday. They took off about five pounds of fur. He now weighs a bit more than five pounds and is smaller than the cat again. My other puppy, Rico, got a haircut too but he is camera shy.

Oh, and are you telling me that you don't make money on the books that you have out there?

Well, actually, Danielle, I'd like to believe it. Wouldn't it be nice if we could earn money by writing stories from the comfort of our home? I know you make money from your books, but the rest of us are wanna be writers.

Excuse me. I make perfectly good money writing stories in the comfort of my home.:catgrin:

lol

Excuse me. I make perfectly good money writing stories in the comfort of my home.:catgrin:

I beg your pardon. I'm just a hack. I should have qualified my remark.

"It would be nice if I could make money writing my stories from my own home."

(lol)

survivor contest - 1

[size=+2]
**SURVIVOR CONTEST EXAMINED – CH.1 BACKGROUND - SUBMISSIONS**
[/SIZE]

Some time ago I promised that I’d bring the brilliant analysis that so characterizes ScouriesWorld to a study of the SURVIVOR CONTEST with the aim of improving this contest whose reputation has become so tarnished with the skullduggery and outright cheating of the last two years.

However, I’ve discovered that it’s not going to be quite as easy or straight forward as I originally thought. This is one fucked-up contest! For starters (over the next few weeks) I’m going to give you the reader some background on how the contest works presently, then in later posts I’ll propose the ScouriesWorld fix.

Although I haven’t liked the contest almost from the second I learned about it close to three years ago, I’d never really looked into how it worked. I just assumed that whoever wrote the most stories in the most categories over the year won the prize (even if somehow you wrote all 600 of them in the last two weeks of the year).

Then I clicked open the SURVIVOR CONTEST forum.

For my first background post I’ll start with the first thing I learned about the contest - it came from a post by our resident patrician miss hynde. It highlights the magnitude of the problem that I’ll be addressing in future missives.

2007 CONTEST - 146 authors entered:

45 had no submissions! (31%) huh, why’d these people enter anyway? What do these people know that I don’t?
37 had submissions but didn’t fill out their scorecards (25%) why the hell not?
21 people didn’t fill out their scorecards correctly (14%) I’ll bet one of them was darkboy!

Only 43 authors out of the 146 entrants had submissions and filled out their scorecards correctly (30%)

Of the 101 who made submissions:

A total of 2259 valid submissions were made (an average of 22 per submitter)
The top twelve submitters entered 1271 stories (an average of 106)
Which means the other 89 authors only wrote 988 stories (an average of 11 per contestant – which isn’t that many)

Of the 2259 submissions:

Excluding poetry, 1102 were between 750 and 1000 words long
Approximately 12% of the submissions were poetry (270 submissions)
The quality of the Illustrated stories and poems was abysmal

To be continued… we’ll examine the contest scorecard system in detail next time…

jrs

survivor contest #2

[size=+2]
**SURVIVOR CONTEST EXAMINED – CH.2 BACKGROUND - SCORECARD**
[/SIZE]

I clicked open the 2008 SURVIVORS CONTEST scorecard. It definitely didn’t look like the baseball or football standings in the Sports Section of the Miami Herald! Generally you have a scorecard so you can quickly look up where the various participants are standing in the contest. Not here!

Dated Feb 22nd (ALREADY 2 MONTHS OUT OF DATE) it looked like this:

2008 Survivor ScoreBoard

PM : www : 148 : BOSTONFICTIONWRITER
PM : www : 116 : PrincessErin
PM : www : 101 : KarennaC
PM : www : 077 : CornishBabe
PM : www : 054 : Goldeniangel
PM : www : 043 : SunrockSin
PM : www : 033 : Boxlicker101
PM : www : 031 : Selena_Kitt
PM : www : 025 : rachlou
PM : www : 025 : RedHairedandFriendly
PM : www : 023 : Jamison
PM : www : 018 : bubbliebabs
PM : www : 014 : MagicaPractica
PM : www : 013 : geronimo_appleby
PM : www : 009 : dragontatto
PM : www : 009 : just 4 fun

…..

PM : www : 000 : starrkers
PM : www : 000 : SweetMerry
PM : www : 000 : WFEATHER
PM : www : 000 : writinggurl89

Mr. WFEATHER is shown with ZERO points. Yet when I click open his personal scorecard he says he has 97 points as of April 20th!

hmmnmm who’s not even on the main scoreboard has updated his personal one April 26th and says he has no points. And yet I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some stories by this person this year (yes, I jus looked and he has some 30 submissions this year – lots of points!).

BFW updated April 29th says he has 363 points.

Princess Erin updated April 30th says she has 258 points.

starrkers updated April 16th says she has 10 points although when I add up her sub totals I see 11.

KarennaC’s updated April 30th says she has 242.

selena has 51 points as of April 1st.

CornishBabe had 100 points as of March 30th.

Now can you imagine opening your daily newspapers sports section and finding the following standings on a Monday morning?

1- NY Yankees - 12-2 as of April 20th
2- Tampa Bay - 32-19 as of June 12th
3- Toronto - Results TBA
4- Boston - 48-44 as of August 1st
5- Baltimore - 17-20 as of May 15th
6- Unknown Entry – will join the league Sept 12th

HOW TOUGH CAN IT B TO KEEP THE SCORECARD UPDATED? The strange thing about it is that those writing the most stories (and hence having the biggest job keeping their scorecard updated) seem to do the best job of it.

C’MON MISS HYNDE, CRIMSON MAIDEN, can’t we get this whole scoreboard thing brought into the twenty-first century? It’s tough enough for our writers to have to write all these 750 word stories, why do they have to also spend half their time trying to figure out where they stand!?

To be continued… we’ll examine how points are awarded next time…and learn about immunities…

jrs

Now, I'm really confused.

(sniff, sniff)

Memories of last year (sniff).

I decided to not update my scorecard until the end of the contest, as did MungoPark III. I learned my lesson from last year's fiasco.

I've been posting my points, 363 at last count, but a certain someone complained that I was posting points without posting stories. Now, I'll just not post anything until the end. Why bother? No one else is.

Last year, I faithfully updated my scorecard, I was one of the few. Look what that got me, 2nd place (sniff).

I suggested that they raise the minimum words from 750 to 1,500, but that was rejected.

I suggested that they raise my first prize, I mean, first prize from $500 to $5,000, but that was rejected. Hey, you don't ask you don't get.

Lastly, I suggested that stories be posted to scorecards within 1 week of posting to the board, as they do with immunity points. That was rejected, too.

Basically, unless an astroid hits the planet, I've already won the contest. I can't see how anyone can been me. With a projected 600-800 stories for 2008 by year end, I should have 1,100 to 1,200 points.

Geez, Scouries, I think you are rubbing off on me. I'm starting to sound a bit like you in my bragging.

Could it be that in reality you are me or I am you? Now, I'm really confused.

I know I am confused. This is a contest where you write a couple of paragraphs every day, call it a chapter and you win a prize if you do it more often than others?

This is neat.

And the purpose of this is to improve the site?

I know I am confused. This is a contest where you write a couple of paragraphs every day, call it a chapter and you win a prize if you do it more often than others?

This is neat.

And the purpose of this is to improve the site?

That pretty much wraps it up, yes.

Why don't you give it a try

Well, I'll tell you, before MungoPark stole last year's contest from me, my stories averaged 3,000 words in length. I had 10 stories in the novel section at more than 7,500 words each and had many stories that were more than 4,500 words.

Then, MungoPark comes along and dumps 200 stories on the board that are 750-1,000 words. Yet, no one said anything about that. Matter of fact many supported what he or she did. I was told that he or she didn't break any rules.

Now, when I alter my writing style by shortening my length of story, which still averages 1,500 words with some stories in the 3,000 word range and contest stories even longer, I hear rumblings of complaint.

What I have to say to the complainers is, if you think it's easy to write enough stories to win the Survivor contest, why don't you give it a try.

Well, I'll tell you, before MungoPark stole last year's contest from me, my stories averaged 3,000 words in length. I had 10 stories in the novel section at more than 7,500 words each and had many stories that were more than 4,500 words.

Then, MungoPark comes along and dumps 200 stories on the board that are 750-1,000 words. Yet, no one said anything about that. Matter of fact many supported what he or she did. I was told that he or she didn't break any rules.

Now, when I alter my writing style by shortening my length of story, which still averages 1,500 words with some stories in the 3,000 word range and contest stories even longer, I hear rumblings of complaint.

What I have to say to the complainers is, if you think it's easy to write enough stories to win the Survivor contest, why don't you give it a try.

And that goes a long way to show the destructiveness of the survivor's contest. Just to win a silly little wordage volume contest, writers are willing to throw all concern for writing good stories out the window and clog up the works here with schlock.

And, actually, I would have come pretty close to winning the survivor contest last year--without that being a criteria for writing stories at all--if I'd bothered to enter. But I see it for what it is.

My comment wasn't a complaint but more of an observation and was not aimed at anyone in particular. I just didn't understand the concept. I could appreciate something that tested a writer by having them write in all categories. It's the volume part of it that eluded/eludes me. I wish everyone well.

And that goes a long way to show the destructiveness of the survivor's contest. Just to win a silly little wordage volume contest, writers are willing to throw all concern for writing good stories out the window and clog up the works here with schlock.

And, actually, I would have come pretty close to winning the survivor contest last year--without that being a criteria for writing stories at all--if I'd bothered to enter. But I see it for what it is.

Schlock? Listen here, Ace, Schlock razor blades have nothing to do with the Survivor contest. Just because I haven't shaved in a couple of days is no reason to attack me personally. You really need to get your shit together. Sometimes you make no sense at all.

Now, back to the Survivor contest. The quality of my stories are the same contest or not. I don't submit a story unless I'm happy with it. Yeah, I'm no editor now will I ever use an editor. I want this story writing to be fun and not work. All my stories, even those abbreviated ones that are now broken in chapters are stand alone stories.

Yeah, could of, would of, should of, had I did that I would have beat you...boo hoo.

Your jealousy is showing. Besides, all you write are gay category stories anyway. Now, if there was a contest for the most gay stories written, you'd win. Congratulations.

Schlock? Listen here, Ace, Schlock razor blades have nothing to do with the Survivor contest. Just because I haven't shaved in a couple of days is no reason to attack me personally. You really need to get your shit together. Sometimes you make no sense at all.

Now, back to the Survivor contest. The quality of my stories are the same contest or not. I don't submit a story unless I'm happy with it. Yeah, I'm no editor now will I ever use an editor. I want this story writing to be fun and not work. All my stories, even those abbreviated ones that are now broken in chapters are stand alone stories.

Yeah, could of, would of, should of, had I did that I would have beat you...boo hoo.

Your jealousy is showing. Besides, all you write are gay category stories anyway. Now, if there was a contest for the most gay stories written, you'd win. Congratulations.

My comments were on the contest. And I find your suggestion that I'm jealous of your writing (and your assertion that I only write gay stories) quite amusing. :D

one year already....

[size=+3]
Happy Anniversary to SCOURIES thread

Happy Birthday to SCOURIES thread

Happy Birthday dear ScouriesWorld

Happy Birthday to SCOURIES thread
[/size]​

Could one whole year already have passed?

Yes, at 10:03 a.m., May 3rd, 2007, we set out to do the following:

The SCOURIES reader – for both fans and serious scholars…
…I’ve received thousands of requests from readers on various topics over the last two years. After much musing on the subject I’ve decided to start this thread that I hope will offer my fans some insight into both my stories and the Literotica site in general. At the same time I hope that what follows here will also turn out to be a gold mine of information for future generations of serious English Erotic Literature scholars.

On this thread I hope to (among other things):

* Reproduce reviews and critiques of my stories that have appeared here and elsewhere,
* Give updates on worldwide sales and vote figures of my work,
* Comment on important political questions of the day,
* Help improve this site by giving timely advice to Manu and Laurel,
* Publish my picks for winners of various Literotica contests,
* Discuss advanced sexual techniques,
* Share e-mails I’ve received from my fans,
* Help fix the shambles that is the Contest system at Literotica,
* Give advice to aspiring young authors,
* Pose the hard questions we all have for our leaders,
* Preview coming ‘Scouries’ stories,
* Analyze and do my best to solve issues that are perplexing Literotica authors,

And of course finally, to provide background information on my stories. To take the reader behind the scenes, to give him or her an insight into the genesis of my plots and my characters. To give the reader the real story and talk about the real people who inspired and appeared in my greatest works.
PLEASE DO NOT POST REPLIES ON THIS THREAD

I respectively ask readers of this thread to refrain from posting here. If you have something you want to say please start your own thread or post on one of the many thousands of threads on the various boards that are available – I would appreciate it if you please leave this one to yours truly.

to be continued – jrs

And you know what my friends, I’m proud to say I think that by and large I achieved my goals.

James R Scouries

I've read some of your work, and the word "quality" is not one I would in conjunction with describing what you've written. As far as each one of your chapters being "stand alone", I again disagree with that assertion.

I have no idea why you would think anyone would be jealous of you or your work. I think it's wishful thinking on your part.

Good luck

My comments were on the contest. And I find your suggestion that I'm jealous of your writing (and your assertion that I only write gay stories) quite amusing. :D

I'm sorry, Ace, but your comment that you would have been close to winning last year's Survivor's Contest seemed a bit ridiculous.

You must understand that there are 35 categories in the contest, not just the Gay category. Although I did see that you wrote a few other stories that weren't gay in 2007, you must admit that most of your stories are...gay. No disrespect intended. Whatever floats your boat, or in your case, you submarine.

Me? I'm just minding my own business trying to fend off the pot shots taken at me and at the Survivor Contest in general, the only contest that I have a prayer of winning, since this site is loaded with friends voting for friends and people who have several multi-nics voting for themselves.

I just write stories. I don't understand when someone complains about something that they are not even participating in hoping to win the contest. To me, that's just shades of someone needing to get a life.

I don't take pot shots at you because you write gay stories. That's your perrogative and I respect that, as you should respect those who wish to participate in the Surivivor Contest.

Now, if you had a complaint about the Survivor Contest and about people dumping hundreds of inferior stories on the board, where were you when MungoPark dumped 200 stories in 8 weeks? Where was your outrage then?

I voiced mine. As a writer who has been writing and submitting stories all year long and posting them to my scorecard, I didn't think it fair that someone came along and dumped all those stories and then posted his score the last week of December and declared...I win.

Still, that's the rules of the contest. You don't hear me complaining about the rules. Now, that I know and understand the rules, I plan on playing by them by shortening my stories and by not updating my scorecard.

Yet, here you are complaining about something that you are not even playing.

Maybe, you should look for a gay web site where they have a gay survivor competition. Is that what this is about? Are you upset that there are too many writers who write on the board who aren't gay?

I just don't understand your argument, especially when you bring up the Schlock razors. What the Hell is that about? Next you'll be complaining that there's too much sugar in your toothpaste.

Maybe, you should participant in the Surivor contest to see if you could win it? I mean, you've already got the Gay category filled, that's worth a few points.

Good luck to you in your search for happiness.

Hello, Mr. Darkside

Hello, Mr. Darkside, how are you today?

Thank you for reading some of my work and I apologize that my work is not up to your critical standards.

Yet, again, I do have many fans who enjoy reading what I write. I shall strive to improve my writing so that you can enjoy what I write, too.

Thank you again for taking the time to write me such a lovely note. You are too kind with your time.

I'm sorry, Ace, but your comment that you would have been close to winning last year's Survivor's Contest seemed a bit ridiculous.

You must understand that there are 35 categories in the contest, not just the Gay category. Although I did see that you wrote a few other stories that weren't gay in 2007, you must admit that most of your stories are...gay. No disrespect intended. Whatever floats your boat, or in your case, you submarine.

Me? I'm just minding my own business trying to fend off the pot shots taken at me and at the Survivor Contest in general, the only contest that I have a prayer of winning, since this site is loaded with friends voting for friends and people who have several multi-nics voting for themselves.

I just write stories. I don't understand when someone complains about something that they are not even participating in hoping to win the contest. To me, that's just shades of someone needing to get a life.

I don't take pot shots at you because you write gay stories. That's your perrogative and I respect that, as you should respect those who wish to participate in the Surivivor Contest.

Now, if you had a complaint about the Survivor Contest and about people dumping hundreds of inferior stories on the board, where were you when MungoPark dumped 200 stories in 8 weeks? Where was your outrage then?

I voiced mine. As a writer who has been writing and submitting stories all year long and posting them to my scorecard, I didn't think it fair that someone came along and dumped all those stories and then posted his score the last week of December and declared...I win.

Still, that's the rules of the contest. You don't hear me complaining about the rules. Now, that I know and understand the rules, I plan on playing by them by shortening my stories and by not updating my scorecard.

Yet, here you are complaining about something that you are not even playing.

Maybe, you should look for a gay web site where they have a gay survivor competition. Is that what this is about? Are you upset that there are too many writers who write on the board who aren't gay?

I just don't understand your argument, especially when you bring up the Schlock razors. What the Hell is that about? Next you'll be complaining that there's too much sugar in your toothpaste.

Maybe, you should participant in the Surivor contest to see if you could win it? I mean, you've already got the Gay category filled, that's worth a few points.

Good luck to you in your search for happiness.

Just for fun, I added up what my scores would have been last year after you made such a stink about not winning . I think I would have come in fourth--and by writing just what I wanted to write (and I even posted something about that). Even then, I had written across most of the categories. You just haven't looked far enough into my list.

I'm not the least bit upset about my writing--especially in relationship to yours, dude--which is just as close as I'm going to get about discussing your "work." And, yes, of course you are taking pot shots at my gay stories. I'm bi, by the way, not gay. Sex is sex is sex. It's just that my gay stories do really, really well here, so I provide a lot of them here. I'm not burdened with trying to win an across-the-board contest. :)

I don't hear you complaining about the rules? ha, ha, ha, ha.

Hello, Mr. Darkside, how are you today?

Thank you for reading some of my work and I apologize that my work is not up to your critical standards.

Yet, again, I do have many fans who enjoy reading what I write. I shall strive to improve my writing so that you can enjoy what I write, too.

Thank you again for taking the time to write me such a lovely note. You are too kind with your time.

Maybe I should start reading your stories again and leaving my comments for you. No need to thank me, I know how much you appreciate my insight.

Knock yourself out.

Maybe I should start reading your stories again and leaving my comments for you. No need to thank me, I know how much you appreciate my insight.

Mr. Darkside, if you want to read my stories and offer your "constructive criticism" followed by your customary "zero score" and show everyone truly what a big asshole you really are, I can't stop you.

This is a free board. Be my guest.

My scores no longer matter to me. They've already been ruined by you. Routinely, you erase my red H's and then post a comment pointing out what a terrible writer I am because I have no red H's. Then, you deny that it was you. Only, by your above quote, here is more proof of your mean intentions to shit all over my stories.

So, if that is you idea of fun, I'm glad that I can give you a good time for hours at time.

Presently, I have 410 stories for you to pander through and shit all over them.

Knock yourself out.

Only, I won't play your game anymore. I'm done wasting my time and energy on you and those like you.

I'm here to write my stories good or bad. If you like them, I'm happy. If you don't like them, don't read them.

Only, in your case, you've already shown that it's not the stories, it's the writer and you plan on showing me and everyone else how truly miserable you are by bashing all that I write.

Have a wonderful life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back