For Manu and Laural - problems with finding editors via forms

jezzaz

Really Experienced
Joined
May 11, 2013
Posts
266
So I've been trying to find a replacement editor because my usual one is turning her focus to her own writing (and rightly so, she is AWESOME).

However, finding a replacement is proving more than difficult.

I've tried posting an ad here, and while had one response, it's from someone who's not resident in the US, and that's not really going to work for me (although thank you immensely for offering!) - other than that, it's been crickets, and from looking at lots of the other posts here, it looks like quite a lot of people are in the same boat.

So I thought I'd be proactive and go looking through the volunteer list and try reaching out to some people.

However, it doesn't appear to work. Though there are lots of people listed, I've tried both sending a direct private message, but everyone has their PM's turned off (Why that's a default setting on creation of a new account is beyond me. Most people aren't aware they have to turn this on to receive PM's, so 90% of the people out there are uncontactable and have no idea that's the case), and I've tried using the web form to send them a message.

The web form _always_ returns an error message saying "Invalid username or password". It doesn't say if it's my username / password that's invalid (and it's not. I'm logged in now to post this) or if it's the person I am trying to contact.

I did consider that maybe this form is attempting to use the PM system to deliver my request, and if that's turned off, it's telling me there is an error but using the wrong message.

Either way, it's a problem. Everyone on that list is now un-contactable unless they have PM's turned on, and most do not.

What can we do about this?

I'm seriously at the point of saying "Please, let me fix this" - I'm a very experienced PHP programmer myself and hitting this kind of thing constantly is very grating. I do understand that we are getting what we pay for here, but still, the offer is there to help fix stuff like this?

Pretty please with sugar on top?
 
To really bring this to Laurel and Manu's attention, you should send a PM to one or both of them. Laurel does sometimes get on forum threads, but not always or not always quickly.

And the whole editing thing doesn't have much to do with the site, in a way. People get in touch and agree to edit, or not. The site doesn't match anyone up, and no one on the Volunteer list -- which is hit or miss, I know -- is vetted by Lit or anything like that.
 
Have you tried connecting with any of the editors who have posted on the sticky at the top of this forum that they are available to edit this month? That might be your best bet.

You can PM your concerns directly to Laurel (which is the only way you're likely to get her attention). But a warning--elsewhere on the forum she's refusing to acknowledge that any function on the Web site is broken. And you are pointing to one that most certainly is broken, for reasons you've encountered and mention.
 
Have you tried connecting with any of the editors who have posted on the sticky at the top of this forum that they are available to edit this month? That might be your best bet.

You can PM your concerns directly to Laurel (which is the only way you're likely to get her attention). But a warning--elsewhere on the forum she's refusing to acknowledge that any function on the Web site is broken. And you are pointing to one that most certainly is broken, for reasons you've encountered and mention.

I have not - I didn't realise there was double duty of available editors. I will be doing so now, thank you.

What I'd _really_ like to find is someone I can continue to use, rather than just one for the month - the last one I had was truly great at both the syntax thing and also at prompting me to defend my premise and actions of the characters - she not only exposed bad writing and plot holes, but also made me defend the entire point of the story, which not a lot do.

I'd like to find someone who can do that - they are big shoes to fill, but I also realise I'm being a cheeky sod in looking for someone to do all that for free.
 
Any long-term arrangement is likely to start with a no-promises initial edit. It's as likely that those advertising availability in a given month could be engaged for longer if mutually accepted as not.
 
I am also experiencing problems with the volunteer editor (VE) page. I have had the problem of getting an "invalid username/password" error. Finally managed to reset my password (somehow I was blocking the password reset key) and send emails to VEs. I get a confirmation email but never hear from any of the VEs I tried to contact. I thought maybe my email address was not being included. So now I hear that PMs are blocked by default.
However, I have gotten responses to requests for editors in the forums. Too bad since I read the VE posts and try to find a match.
I do a lot of technical writing and have a fantastic editor at work. No way I can submit an erotic story to this woman. Still I would love someone who can do the detailed editing she does. Microsoft Word does a good job on spelling except for cases where somehow auto correct put in the wrong word (hit for hat).
So guess it is back to the forums. Sure would be nice if the VE page worked. Wonder if the volunteers ever get a message
 
No reply from Volunteer Editors

Having same problem. I have used the form to contact 4 VEs over a month. No reply. I have sent 2 requests for help to the editors. No reply.
 
About the form

Having same problem. I have used the form to contact 4 VEs over a month. No reply. I have sent 2 requests for help to the editors. No reply.

I am available to edit, and I am listed in the sticky above.

I am also listed on the VE page. To be honest I have NEVER gotten a request from that page. It seems the problem is too many listings and too many inactive! By now my listing is pretty far down and I guess authors just don't get that far down, or just don't happen to pick it.

'Tiz a puzzlement.
 
No reply

Having same problem. I have used the form to contact 4 VEs over a month. No reply. I have sent 2 requests for help to the editors. No reply.

As you do not have your PMs turned on, it is not surprising that you get no replies.

To switch on your Private Messages, go to User CP (top left of this page), click on Edit Options (in the left hand column), and then tick Enable Private Messaging in the second box down. Make sure that the next box down (Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators) is NOT ticked. Finally, click Save Changes at the bottom of that page.
 
Plus ça change ...

I can't remember for how many years the official volunteer editor list has been broken. It wasn't very good when I joined in 2001 (as Charmbrights). It was restarted about five years ago, but has not worked for most of that time.

The general opinion seems to be that the basic problem is that there is no check on an entry still being for someone willing to edit, and the email attached to it valid. Just one example is the entry for "Snooper" (http://www.literotica.com/editors/editorpage.php?uid=216094) which has not had a valid email address attached to it since 2008 when I changed to my present name.
 
Back
Top