The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

Hmmm, I know I'm going to participate but I have no idea what to do for this one. I'm so not feeling a romantic lovey-dovey story. Suggestions?

How about setting a story of conflict between overstressed staff in a restaurant serving Valentine meals?

Perhaps...might be a bit of a stretch for an audio performance piece. But it's an interesting idea.

One of our daughter's friends was a relief waitress at a local restaurant while she was a student. She told us to avoid the establishment on February 14th.

The place was too heavily booked by people with high expectations on a night when the chef and assistants were operating at the limits of their ability. The meals on Valentine's night would be the worst of any night of the year.

That applies to most restaurants that do Valentine's meals. Any other evening would be better.

Her task was almost impossible on Valentine's. The management had crammed in extra tables which made it extremely difficult to serve the meals properly. The kitchen made mistakes; the customers complained and sent food back; that added to the delays and the stress in the kitchen which meant more mistakes...

The restaurant idea is a good one, I think. What springs to mind is a woman dragging her complaining and somewhat nasty. overbearing, and demanding boyfriend along to serve the homeless in a Valentine Day's meal, and the woman meeting a young and well-mannered homeless guy during the meal--and winding up walking off with him and leaving her bumptious boyfriend behind.

Let's put the real contest back to the top of the heap.

For any newbies, this is the next special contest on Literotica and the only special contest of any kind running on Lit at this time. Anything you see posted otherwise is a lie.

The restaurant idea is a good one, I think. What springs to mind is a woman dragging her complaining and somewhat nasty. overbearing, and demanding boyfriend along to serve the homeless in a Valentine Day's meal, and the woman meeting a young and well-mannered homeless guy during the meal--and winding up walking off with him and leaving her bumptious boyfriend behind.

It sounds like you might not just be doing a rolling review! This story sounds :heart:.

Although since the original St. Valentine was beaten with clubs and then beheaded, perhaps a BDSM story would be more appropriate.
:rose:

I've got another Anti-Valentine's Day story idea I might throw in if I get it finished in time.

I have an inkling. The category is probably going to be Fantasy. It has possibilities, provided I get it finished before the deadline and not after.

What a nice idea!.

Hmm, I've never tried a Valentine's Day story before. It's all a bit sweet and romantic for me, but it might be worth a go for a change of pace. Hmm....

and saccharin and diabetes inducing all at once. not to mention stereotyped. can I overcome this cynicism? I doubt it. One false start already though.

I'd love the Bucky Duckman version, in which I'd bet the bf gets something UP his bumptious behind!:devil:

What Category Does This Belong In?

I have a work in progress I'd like to submit to the contest, but I have no strong clue what category it goes into.

In it, Aphrodite and Eros have been arguing for centuries over what is more important, love or lust. Athena, tired of their bitching, gives them a wager: she'll take a committed couple and add a temptress. If the couple splits up, Aphrodite wins, and if they remain together, Eros wins. Whoever wins gets to take command of Valentine's day.

Athena chooses a gay male couple who move into a new apartment. Their downstairs neighbor is a female cougar who sets her sights on one of the men, the bisexual partner, and manages to seduce him. They have an affair and he is sorely tempted to leave his boyfriend before their Valentine's Day wedding in Iowa, to run away with her.

I won't reveal the ending but there is a lot of comedy in this one, and also some very deep, serious contemplation on the meaning of love, and of course, copious amounts of sex. Imagine a romantic comedy but the sex is highly descriptive and is m/m/ and m/f.

I don't know if this belongs in Erotic Couplings, though all sex is 1-on-1. Some is gay, but it doesn't belong in Gay Male because there is plenty male/female sex too. Or should I cop out and put it in Sci-Fi & Fantasy since Eros, Aphrodite, Athena, and Psyche all appear? I could do that and place a note at the beginning explaining the type of sex that appears along with a summary.

It'll also be short novella length at about 40,000 words, so could go in novels/novellas with the same notes in the beginning.

Which category do you think "Cupid's Bet" belongs in? Thanks for your help!

I have a work in progress I'd like to submit to the contest, but I have no strong clue what category it goes into.

In it, Aphrodite and Eros have been arguing for centuries over what is more important, love or lust. Athena, tired of their bitching, gives them a wager: she'll take a committed couple and add a temptress. If the couple splits up, Aphrodite wins, and if they remain together, Eros wins. Whoever wins gets to take command of Valentine's day.

Athena chooses a gay male couple who move into a new apartment. Their downstairs neighbor is a female cougar who sets her sights on one of the men, the bisexual partner, and manages to seduce him. They have an affair and he is sorely tempted to leave his boyfriend before their Valentine's Day wedding in Iowa, to run away with her.

I won't reveal the ending but there is a lot of comedy in this one, and also some very deep, serious contemplation on the meaning of love, and of course, copious amounts of sex. Imagine a romantic comedy but the sex is highly descriptive and is m/m/ and m/f.

I don't know if this belongs in Erotic Couplings, though all sex is 1-on-1. Some is gay, but it doesn't belong in Gay Male because there is plenty male/female sex too. Or should I cop out and put it in Sci-Fi & Fantasy since Eros, Aphrodite, Athena, and Psyche all appear? I could do that and place a note at the beginning explaining the type of sex that appears along with a summary.

It'll also be short novella length at about 40,000 words, so could go in novels/novellas with the same notes in the beginning.

Which category do you think "Cupid's Bet" belongs in? Thanks for your help!

With the variety, I might go Novels & Novella, though my first instinct was Sci-Fi /Fantasy. Definitely NOT EC or GM. The moderators may switch the category before they approve it anyway (though I think if you opt Novels/Novella they are likely not to switch it)

With M/M and fantasy elements, Sci-Fi & Fantasy is probably your best choice from both a score and readership standpoint.

More people may ( and that's may ) open the story in EC, but a lot of them aren't going to reach the voting form, and most who do are going to ding it for M/M. There's really only one category where readers look for that on Lit - because other readers have marginalized it with low scores and nasty commentary - and that's Gay Male.

In GM, the fantasy elements and the straight sex are going to hurt you.

You'll simply get more readers in Sci-Fi & Fantasy than novels, and with the gods involved, it's a better choice.

FWIW, I have to agree that SF/F is the best option for you, Ms. Noe. As others have noted, the story might get knocked b/c of the m/m sex in Erotic Couplings. It also occurs to me that the m/f sex would be a drawback in the GM category. I think in SF/F, people either expect or are willing to accept more than just m/f sex.

I've done a couple of stories with the god/goddess theme, but was able to keep it in romance b/c it was m/f sex. Also, I didn't think the fantasy themes were quite strong enough to warrant the SF/F category.

I have some straight sex in some of my GM stories, and I've never received a negative comment on that, and the scores don't seem to be appreciably below the average. I get more flak from putting GM activity in any other category no matter what else is going on in the story.

That's not saying that the specific story being discussed isn't more comfortable in another category--unless the M/M sex scenes are very graphic.

I have to agree with Dark and PennLady on this, SF/F would work the best.l

Back