2nd trip to Bohemia: a journey of Abstrusions

But Ogg.....

What about the sixteen, ten foot or better alligators you'll be putting out of business? Not to mention the overpopulation of tourists, small children, and little ankle biter dogs. Then there would be no place to dump all that pink paint Abs keeps confiscating. Not to mention, no place to hide the bodies.

We definitely need the moat.
 
Hiding bodies in the moat is unsanitary. Unless they are fresh, the alligators would refuse to eat them.

What you need for bodies is an Oubliette - a bottle-shapped underground chamber only entered from the top. Throw the bodies down, follow with a good layer of earth, and the problem is solved until the Oubliette is full.

The best castles had Oubliettes outside the main walls so that any decomposition didn't affect the water supply. [Aside - It is thought that the Bronte sisters suffered ill-health because their water supply was from a well that was polluted by bodies in the Church cemetery uphill from their house.]

A properly constructed dry ditch keeps tourists and ankle-biters out. If it is at least thirty feet deep with vertical walls there is no way they are going to cross it when the drawbridge is raised. If they fall in, there's no way out, and a few properly placed caponiers allows target practice.

Picture of Caponier in dry ditch. It needs cleaning out. The square openings were for cannon firing grapeshot, later used for crew-served machine guns.


1541839.jpg
 
I'll just help myself to a drink, since the place appears to be empty.
 
Moats are overrated. They stink, breed mosquitos in the Summer, flood the castle in Winter and make providing the essential services - water, gas, electricity and sewage - ten times as expensive as they need to be.

A dry ditch is better. You can remove the dead attackers before they start to decay.

The moat of the Tower of London was one of the worst designed anywhere. I was supposed to be tidal, scoured by every tide. It wasn't. The water just sat there and became stagnant. All the toilets were flushed into the moat and there the effluvium stayed.

The Tower moat was drained in Queen Victoria's reign, grassed and turned into tennis courts for the Yeoman Warders - much more sanitary. The toilets were connected to Bazalgette's main sewer and the Tower stink abated.

Think several times before installing a moat - and then decide against it - please.

A very interesting cautionary tale, Ogg.
I was pondering about a leat from the local river and into the field drain to flush the damned thing.
 
Trying to stay within the archaeologist rules :D

Though considering what used to happen in the old room, a firehose with AFFF sounds like a damned good idea.
 
Trying to stay within the archaeologist rules :D

Though considering what used to happen in the old room, a firehose with AFFF sounds like a damned good idea.

A coat of Pink paint in the office always lifts the spirits. :D

Ours, not the owners. ;)
 
Ooo, look at all the fun.

Can we choose a different color? I don't want to feel like I'm walking into a room full of pepto bismo vomit.
 
Back
Top