The Official Author's Hangout 2015 Summer Lovin' Contest Support Thread

See, I'm just the opposite. I used to only write long-hand, and I still do when I need to get the juices flowing. I loved the mess, the crossed out words and phrases and arrows pointing everywhere. Sometimes I would cross something out, but realize later that I needed it for somewhere else, or that I needed it still in a different form. If I had just deleted it I would have never remembered what it was.

I still do it to an extent, even on the computer. I cut and paste to the end of my draft if I think I might need it later.

Since I have never been one to embrace doing an outline, I do the same thing with pasting notes to the end of a WIP. Something hits me the right way and the Muse says, "Make a note of that so you don't forget it," and I listen up. I just have to remember to scroll an extra page when I am doing a final edit, so anything that may still be there, doesn't show up as a postscript at Lit. :eek:

Even with five cross country moves, I still have the original file of a story I started...in longhand...back in 1986. Something in the neighborhood of 150 pages and jammed full of those same cross-outs, arrows, side notes, and thought bubbles with notes for later on. I've started transferring it to the computer and adapting it for erotica, but it is not a real big priority yet.

Every so often I will pull it out and scan through a few pages just to remind me how much things have changed with computers.

I think it's often naive to think that the writer actually does what he/she puts in a for-profit vanity "how to write" book. And to assume that they actually give two hoots about anyone else's writing development. I've edited books by authors with "how to" books out (and laughed when comparing what they sent to me in relationship to how they've told others to write). Hell, I have a "how to" book out myself. I wrote it to beef up my cv. ;)

I assume, though, you aren't efiting books by Stephen King. :)

Personally, I read very few books on writing, because I'm stubborn and don't like people telling me what to do. I don't read self-help, books, either. Especially by people I've never heard of.

I did read King's, however, and have read most of his books. It all seemed to jibe to me.

But just because I personally don't read them, doesn't mean others couldn't find useful kernels of information.

And Pilot, do you think you are projecting a little? Just because you don't care about others authors' development and wrote a how-to book just to beef up your cv, doesn't mean others who wish to share their experience feel the same way. ;)

... I used to only write long-hand, and I still do when I need to get the juices flowing. I loved the mess, the crossed out words and phrases and arrows pointing everywhere. ...
I still do it to an extent, even on the computer. I cut and paste to the end of my draft if I think I might need it later.

I think word processors may be the best thing that ever happened to my writing. In pre-WP days, I used to find all of the crossings out and caretted inserts quite depressing. The WIP always looked like a mess. :(

I almost always start a new story by "attacking" or "romancing" a fresh sheet of paper in a notebook with a fountain pen. I love the sensation of writing long-hand, though I rarely ever finish the first draft on paper - I end up transferring it to the computer halfway through or earlier, editing as I do. I also keep stuff I like and think I might use at the end of my docs. It's handy - but can get messy and confusing, so I color-code these snippets and ideas just to tell them apart.

... It's not being suckered if you take the advice of an established, published, popular author. It's taking advice from someone experienced. As the new writer gains experience he or she will probably find their own way, but won't be any worse for wear for taking the advice of someone who has been there.

I recently read writing tips from Elmore Leonard. It was great advice ... it worked for him and could work for someone else.

IMHO, reading what other writers do is useful not necessarily to learn how to write like they do but also to see what advice you don't want to follow because it won't work for you. I do find it inspirational, but it can also be distracting from the hard work of writing my own stuff.

My trouble with Summer Lovin': I've started a story and have several scenes but it's not clear yet where it's going. I put it aside with some yeast, hoping the dough will rise. It's time to check on it soon.

It makes sense that a more experienced writer can get from A to Z faster, and along a straighter path. There's no substitute for experience. If anyone knows of something, why please please point me to it!

Last edited:
If anyone knows of something, why please please point me to it!

I write my stories on the backs of untamed weasels, release them into the wild and work with the fragments of text I'm able to hunt down. It's a surprisingly workable technique.

;)

Aaaany-hoo, got an idea percolating for Incest alongside one that's percolating for some time that involves interracial infidelity in a married lesbian couple (Loving Wives? Lesbian? Interracial? haven't decided yet). I think the second one holds more interest for me.

I write my stories on the backs of untamed weasels, release them into the wild and work with the fragments of text I'm able to hunt down. It's a surprisingly workable technique.

;)

Weasels? Huh! I use the tummies of ferrets. A bit like very soft parchment.

No one, including me, has been able to read my handwriting since the advent of the computer, so scotch the yellow pad possibility for me. And since my writing life predates the advent of the computer, I fully understand what the blessing of a computer is to a writer.

No one, including me, has been able to read my handwriting since the advent of the computer, so scotch the yellow pad possibility for me. And since my writing life predates the advent of the computer, I fully understand what the blessing of a computer is to a writer.

Honestly, I feel like I'm only in recent years getting to the point where I'm past the potentially paralyzing influence of the word processor. The problem for me has always been that it makes editing so easy that it becomes way too easy to edit and futz around forever without ever getting to a final product. It takes a lot of discipline to get past that point and I certainly respect people for doing so.

With one exception, I don't futz around with a story while writing it. I push to the end before doing any refining or review. (I hold that editing is what some external party does; that when I go over it, it's a review.) The exception is that, when an "enriching" thread or aspect asserts itself later in the story, I sometimes will stop there and go back to insert any early material on this thread of the foreshadowing of it.

Any thoughts on a name issue I'm looking at.

I started off thinking I would give my characters the surnames 'Winter' and 'Snow', it seemed kinda cool (ho ho!) and I thought it would be a nice counter-summer thing. (The story is set in summer as it's about someone who gets a job as a pool boy - wink nudge.) But then I thought, No, that's just too complicated, I should give them summery names. So I came up with Somers, and then I got stuck for the other one. The other one will probably be called something like 'Camille'. Camille Snow. Or Justine. Justine Abikini ;).

:heart:

FWIW,

The portion I deleted wasn't "unnecessary". It was just sort of a history. I have two drafts of the same story -- one with the history, and one without. The rest is same.

I guess I have to write the complete thingy and see.

Any thoughts on a name issue I'm looking at.

I started off thinking I would give my characters the surnames 'Winter' and 'Snow', it seemed kinda cool (ho ho!) and I thought it would be a nice counter-summer thing. (The story is set in summer as it's about someone who gets a job as a pool boy - wink nudge.) But then I thought, No, that's just too complicated, I should give them summery names. So I came up with Somers, and then I got stuck for the other one. The other one will probably be called something like 'Camille'. Camille Snow. Or Justine. Justine Abikini ;).

:heart:

Alex. You can never go wrong with Alex the Pool Guy. :D Emma, Emily or Catherine for the female lead. They suit almost everywhere -- summer or winter -- although Catherine sounds more "winter-ish".

No wait.......don't use Catherine. I'm using it myself.

Use Kate.

Alex. You can never go wrong with Alex the Pool Guy. :D Emma, Emily or Catherine for the female lead. They suit almost everywhere -- summer or winter -- although Catherine sounds more "winter-ish".

No wait.......don't use Catherine. I'm using it myself.

Use Kate.

Well I flirted with the idea of 'Shaw' and Alexandria. (Sandy Shaw - geddit? :D) but unfortunately it's not that kind of story.

There were only two people who could read my managerial scrawl - my secretary and my wife. I acquired a desktop wordprocessor in the mid 1970s to supplement my dictating machine.

I
And Pilot, do you think you are projecting a little? Just because you don't care about others authors' development and wrote a how-to book just to beef up your cv, doesn't mean others who wish to share their experience feel the same way. ;)

YOUR projecting is what got me started on this. :D

YOUR projecting is what got me started on this. :D

Aww, c'mon now, I was just sharing a helpful phrase with the Bard to get him through the pain of cutting something he liked, but needed to be cut.

Kill your darlings, Pilot. Violently. :)

So I have a story going. wtf category.

Two couples.

It culminates in a sort of husband swap for one night.

At first I thought Group, but it's not exactly, though the swap occurs while the other couple watches.

A little E/V, a little Group, a little LW, and a little Fetish, because one of the wives is pregnant.

I'm thinking I may have to just toss the whole shebang into EC.

I assume, though, you aren't efiting books by Stephen King. :)

Personally, I read very few books on writing, because I'm stubborn and don't like people telling me what to do. I don't read self-help, books, either. Especially by people I've never heard of.

I did read King's, however, and have read most of his books. It all seemed to jibe to me.

But just because I personally don't read them, doesn't mean others couldn't find useful kernels of information.

I believe we are all familiar with your how to book, Pilot. It's titled "How to Act Like a Fucking Asshole", and you expand upon it every single day of your life. One might even say it has become your life's work.

If Sheablue would like to have a link to my coauthored book on publishing/writing, I'll be happy to cite it in a PM. And then you can cite your book, Shrilly. Hate will rot your brain, you know. Oh, too late to point that out to you, I see. ;)

I wondered when another of the secret circle members was going to start a gangbang in support of their own.

Last edited:
Does Shrilly's post represent how you'd like this discussion to turn, sheablue?

How do you guys who write in noncon find editors to look at your stuff? I've got two potential entries, and it's way early, so I might as well look for some help to do the fit and polish.

How do you guys who write in noncon find editors to look at your stuff? I've got two potential entries, and it's way early, so I might as well look for some help to do the fit and polish.
Try Editor's Forum. You'll definitely get an editor there.

Actually have an idea for a story in this name. Lord knows if I have time to finish it, though.

Have to see whether this one is nagging me enough, or whether I can crank out the simpler RR story real quick first.

Actually have an idea for a story in this name. Lord knows if I have time to finish it, though.

Have to see whether this one is nagging me enough, or whether I can crank out the simpler RR story real quick first.

LOL, I saw you had only 77 posts and went to encourage you as a newbie, but then I realised you are the Master Darkniciad.

Anyway good luck with it!
:)

Back