Musketeer Immortal (closed)

Of course it was not the coffee that kept him behind. He watched if she were being tailed. Old habits died hard even if practically nothing could kill you. He took out the makings and rolled a cigarette. He lit it with an old beat up lighter and kept watch as he ordered another coffee.

It didn't seem like she had been followed and he did not feel the buzz and that meant her guard dog was at home or not following closely at all. It was not half an hour when he reached the old park which had been ravished in previous wars and never restored, but amidst the ruin stood the old carousel. He approached it carefully, making sure they were alone.
 
No one had followed her as she moved around studying each horse with a child like wonder and smile as she waited. She sought out places like this as Damons and Valen had no use for them and would not follow her there.
 
He saw her looking at one of the painted wooden animals, it was curious how the heart of this park where the carousel stood looked almost untouched.

"And amidst the desolation and despair you shall find God's blessing rests on you."

He grinned at the words that his brother have spoken many years ago. He walked closer to where she stood and stopped next to her, looking at the horse.
 
She stopped quickly looking to him realizing who it was then began her curious study again. Fingertips dancing over the fanciful colored roses made to look as if they wove through the mane.

So strange....
 
He looked at her as she moved among the wooden horses, gently touching them. Almost seeming like a child enchanted by the animals, but also like a woman, escaping her harsh reality.

"What is so strange?"
 
Why would they leave a peaceful place in such ruin?

She remembered seeing pictures of people riding on such things and hopped up on one of the horses as she watched him biting at her lower lip.
 
He watched her for a few moments.

"It is the way of war. Men will fight for strange reasons and kill, destroy and plunder for that same reasons. There is so much beauty in the world, but it is destroyed by man's blind ambition."
 
They think you better suited to help me to begin with. I think they will join you once you have dealt with the angry guard unable to die.

She filled her head down a little as she spoke. With a smile the music of the old carousel softly began to play as she watched him.

Why was Athos worried that your other brother might frighten me? If he too is as old as the two of you then clearly he is like all involved but Damons. Not exactly mortal.
 
"Artemis? He has his own demons to deal with. I can not say if it has something to do with Damons, but perhaps their affliction is the same."

He shrugged and listened to the music, "I am guessing that you are doing that since the music only plays when the horses are moving."

He looked back at her, "Who or what are you?"
 
Many have called me witch... Before that they preferred sorceress... I... am merely capable of a few magical things.

She turned to him and smiled
 
He narrowed his eyes slightly, "Well they always say that you learn new things every day. It is quite interesting. What does Damons want with you then?"

Before she could answer a young boy came scampering closer, "Porthos! He's coming! He had left the house not too long ago."

Porthos nodded and tossed the kid a coin, "I have to go. When shall I meet you again?"
 
Here tomorrow.

She sighed as the music stopped quickly and looked away.
 
He took the two steps which seperated them, took her small, velvet soft hand and gently kissed the palm and wrist.

"I will be here."

Letting go of her hand, he turned and walked away, following the boy who seemed to marvel at each of the old rides, even the destroyed ones.
 
She turned and hurried back toward the house. Appearing deep in thought and wandering muttering to herself as if creating her needed spells.

-----------

Celeste was awake milling about tending to dinner. Wondering if her ward was alright.
 
Porthos entered the house and found Celeste busy in the kitchen, "I'm back and as you can see, I still have my head and not even slightly drunk thank you very much."

He went to his room, stripping off his jacket to remove the sword and place it on his bed. He kept the pistol, even immortals had their weaknesses. He splashed his face in the washbasin and walked back to the kitchen.

"Are the guests behaving at least?"
 
Yes everything is fine and our guests are fine. I did however think I would take a dessert around to the new residents of our quaint little corner of town.

Celeste hobbled over to to him and chuckled patting his arm softly.

I could not smell a walking cloud of wine when you walked in so I know you are not drunk. However the twinkle in your eye makes me think you have seen the girl your brothers spoke of.
 
He tapped the side of his nose, "Does a bloodhound not sniff out its quarry?"

He sat down and snapped up one of her knives

"She is strange, there is a mystery about her. The last woman to be such an enigma was Milady de Winter. I just hope this one does not need to die. She does have a curious view of life and herself. I am to meet her again and soon see my brothers once I can kill her guard. The other immortal."
 
There is another like you with her... Be careful.

Celeste looked over concerned.

I remember the stories of De Winter and I do not think your brothers would have wished you to aid her if she were like that horrible backstabbing woman. Still I will take a welcome basket to them and see if I can meet her as well.

She chuckled a little...

I do wonder my dear friend if a sober Porthos has not possibly become smitten by the lovely young lady?
 
He toyed with the knife and looked up at Celeste, "Now that does sound like a reason to celebrate! But you know why I am sober. A drunk loses his head far too easy and I like mine attached to where it is thank you very much."

He dropped the knife back on the table, "Just be careful when you go, you are not the youngest person in this house anymore."
 
And yet...

She chuckled

You are far older than me.

She carefully placed a bottle of wine in the basket as well as various sweets and meats and breads.

I will be back soon.

With that she hobbled to the door and out to the bustling foot traffic to deliver the food.
 
He watched her finish her basket and make her way out of the house. He stared at the fire in the hearth for a while, he was not sure why she kept the hearth even though she had an oven. He rose after a while and poured himself a bit of bourbon in a glass and retired to the bathroom to clean up.
 
Roughly an hour later she hobbled back in with a smile. She had clearly stopped in the market and picked up a few things for dinner. The young lady was lovely and she knew the mystery guards name as well as the young woman's. After all it was rude in most cultures to ignore a question from an elder. She even found Lord Damons to be a poor actor at civility and honor. He put on a good act and she appeared to buy it but she could tell he was vile to his very soul. She looked around for Porthos when she returned.
 
Porthos heard Celeste's return, he in turn were in the study, pistol within easy reach as he sat in one of the stuffed chairs, feet propped up on a footstool, the second glass of cognac slowly swirling around and around as the ice slowly melted away
 
She walked into the study.

What questions have you about the new guests in our town?
 
He looked at her, "None really, maybe just would like to know how capable and how old her guard is."

He pondered for a moment, "I think her name wouldn't hurt to know."
 
Back
Top