New Poetry Recommendations

Wednesday's Review

I'm back ... what an interesting two weeks. And now there's 10" of new snow waiting to be shoveled; think I'll save it for the new year and get started on it first thing tomorrow, after my head clears.

There are just four New Poems up today, so you can easily read them all.

starrkers from down under is my pick for today with three of today's four postings. loser is a bit faux egocentric, with a bit of a hissy fit thrown in for good measure. Summer evening is a nicely descriptive summertime piece which offers some sweet comfort to those of us in the Northern Hemisphere with a fresh 10" covering of snow on the ground. Finally, check out the haiku-like Weather report for more relief from the snow and cold.

That's it for today and 2008. Think I'll get started on that bottle as soon as I pop the cork. In the meantime, don't forget to read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

See y'all in 2009.

While the wave rides high and the immediate environment happily hosts spatial quietude, might as well get on it, get on the poems, the new ones, the ones fresh out of the protective arms of their makers.

I prefer variety over no variety and more variety over less variety. Like those variety cereal packs. Always my favorite. Of course the fruit loops and the apple jacks and the rice krispies are the early ones to go. Frosted flakes in the middle, corn flakes towards the last, and definitely Product 19 is always the last.

And that's my likening of today's offerings. And, no shit, like a cereal variety pack, we have 8, and really, 8 different flavors. No two boxes containing the same. We also - or we don't but I will - ought to grant the Literotica heavens raised and open-handed praises for yesterdays blip that attacked LadyS's Illustrated Poem. For the illustrated element was missing. So it must have been rectified for today. Which completed the pack. This would be a flavor I'd not want to use up first. Nor last. Want to save it for a Saturday morning.

So, let me go grab a bowl (god i wish) and some milk, and...

I'll go ahead and reiterate here what I said in a comment: Many are the poets and writers whose creations and voices I can respect and get good doses of pleasure from, but once in a while along comes the one or few who seem to go in or come from a direction or state that I recognize or am attracted to. Such is the case with AnonAndAnon and In my brain I run a bar is such a delightful flavor that I can't really stop chomping to really say why. Sort of a overseer perspective of miniature scenes that jump around in time and positions, vivid little painting or... blah, see for yourself and enjoy. A unblinking bleakness but wrapped with vines that twist around it all with a ticklish sort of humor. Something like that.

I've been on a tangent lately where the playing with opposites, conflicts has become a never ending bud pleaser, and lillefleur has given me a free model to study and play with in Seasons , with ice and frozen lakes and hearts and sun shining in winter... I'm probably missing deeper meanings but having slurped down the seeds, hopefully the flowers will bud and bloom soon.

In Post Modern , Rumpleteazer arouses paranoid suspicions within this Reviewer's already fragile mental machinery, because this is another flavor that attracts, and which I think I've said I wish they had a cat for this, this sort of short prosy, wacked-out, cartoonish, sci-fi-twilight zone-like run of images that may not be immediately grasped but are fun to play with in one's special bowl (god I wish). Or a closer and second or third read might be a better idea.

Oops. A wave of turbulence just came along and whacked the balance...

Will return with part 2 at a later hour.

Sorry about the interruption.
greenmountaineer
presents another sort of illustrative work with opposites and conflicts, with Variation on a Theme of Bondage. I kept/keep seeing/hearing it as an operetta or something Meat Loaf might do, the loud bold voice seeming to dominate the smaller quieter, but we see who is the truly wise at the end.

There's a few poets who I see their names, see their work receive review, and I might even take a few ganders. But it changes when you look at the work of these same poets through the eyes of a reviewer, even a rambling reviewer. And I'll just say, Cal Y. Pygia is another who brings a certain individual voice to the party. And I feel fortunate that I got to be the reviewer of
Old Enough to Bleed and Other Poems I mean, the title alone... there's the the one about being cooked... and the mermaid, something about holy mackerel... wild and in your face kind of power. Me likes.

And finally, thanks to fate forcing a technical flub, I get to complete this with an illustrated, courtesy of the most lovely LadynStFreknbed with, Bound Wrists. I'll admit a fear of trying too hard to pass along how this one makes me feel, because, to rely on a cliche, it really speaks for itself. Of course, I would have no idea what the words are really about. Ahem...

That should do it. A couple in the variety pack were not bad at all, but one was kinda heavy on the sweets for my tastes, like Lucky Charms but a little overabundance of those marshmallowy candies. But they could be just the ticket for someone else out there. Who am I to say?

And to take a bite out of the Bound Wrists, for this coming year I'd like to wish upon each and every head and heart and totality of every person's being, as much fun and sun and blessed good sensations and thoughts as you can possibly handle. Because any moment you're not having as much fun as possible when you could be... what's the point of doing otherwise?

On this 3rd day of the new year twelve new poems appear and a most diverse collection it is.

Prayer :: Resolution , a timely theme for a first time appearance by uneven , it is a well done form poem harking back to a more formal era and deals with the thorny subject of criticism. It ends on a slightly jarring note but I think that it is deliberate.

bflagsst has two poems both on the subject of kissing. Of the two I picked the bitter-sweet Berry Necklace, Burning Bush to mention here. This poet has a way of saying much with a few well chosen words.

Lastly I draw your doubtlessly jaded attention to Rumpleteazer . He is a fearless poet with a style all his own but he himself says in response to comments on his board before he removed it for subsequent works, "I don’t think you’re going to enjoy much of what I write." Damascus Road makes you think, as does much of his poetry.

That's it for this week, I’m sure there is a poem you will love that I neglected to spotlight. To find out go and sample the hugely different selection on today’s smorgasbord .

Last edited:
Sunday January 4th New Poems Reviews

There are nine new poems today. Of these, my favorite was musingsalone's Power Outage which I enjoyed for its metaphor. This is the poet's first poem at Literotica. Stop by and say hello if you get the chance. I also liked rumpleteazer's Cronus to his Children, though I wanted to pry an apostrophe into the "There's." I think since the grammatical construction is meant to be improper for the sake of voice, it is excusable just this once. :)

I found Greenmountaineer's Out Patience from the Great Society rather puzzling. You might get more out of it than I did, though. Certainly it is imaginative.

There are also a couple by Cal Y. Pygia that didn't really strike me this time around, though I have really enjoyed some of Cal's poems in the past. See what you think.

Many of the other offerings are heart-felt and touching but not necessarily what I would recommend to you as poetry. If you have time, peruse them all, but these are what I would recommend.

Monday, January 5, 2009

We are blessed with ten new poems today.

Placeholder by a new poet, GoddessKali, caught my attention immediately. I found this symbolic poem of Passover quite intriguing, yet difficult to decipher due to the conflicting role of the narrator. It's told in first person, while firmly describing the narrator as both the lamb slaughtered and the one saved by the lamb's blood. Give it a read. Perhaps, you can reconcile the conflict.

Once I got past the grammar errors in the first stanza of Mermaiden by Veelo, I was pleasantly surprised. This is the first poetry submission by Veelo. The strength of this poem is the unique descriptions. So often, sexual acts and exploration are mundanely narrated. I found this poem refreshing.

To My Layli by bflagsst get an honorable mention for the poem's reference to Freudian terms. That's not it's only gleeming star. I especially like the stanza:
When the street's
no more an honest satire
of old and tired folk,​

Take a few minutes to sample today's poems. In addition to these gems, there were a few more exceptional poems that I did not mention due to the poets' decision not to accept comments.

First Tuesday of the new year and a fresh screen full of poetry. There aren't many today and most are by new members of this select cabal of posters, poseurs and poets. Read no further. Get off your butt, click here and read them all.

::

Goodness but aren't we lazy. Still reeling from the extended festivities? Well then if you aren't sure how many poems you might enjoy, start with Badrabbit. She should send blood rushing away from that headache. Read Screw This and if that hasn't done the trick follow up with Rampant Rabbit Dreams. There are no deep and shrouded metaphors to be deciphered; no polysyllabic word-upmanship; just nice, cleanly poignant, bedroom fun.

There doesn't that feel better? Now go read the rest with a clear head.

Wednesday's Review

Happy New Year. I'm still here and with my first review for the new year. There are eleven New Poems out today and while none really melted my butter, there's one you may want to take a look at.

Cal Y. Pygia has one up today that's a little food for thought in Epithet Deleted. What's the point in hurling an insult when the recipient might consider it at least to be a compliment?

Well, that's it for me today. You can, of course, check out the other ten postings. Perhaps you'll find something you like. In the meantime, read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

2½ months till the Vernal Equinox.

Thursday

Two new poems from Fieryjen: Failure to Communicate and Sharing a Hotel Room

Sharing a Hotel Room is a good read. I like a poem that tells a story and this one does a nice job of sharing an erotic moment with the reader. It's subtle erotica and works nicely.

----------

Epigram for Goddess by bflagsst is a wonderful poem. :rose: I checked out some of his other poems and hope you all get a chance to read more of his work.

and put her rummy head to bed,
when she's as brash as winter,
when brash fills the river
.​

----------

Sunday Jan. 11th

Happy Sunday, Dudes and Dudettes. With 18 new poems we once again have a smorgasbord of selections from which to choose. A couple of my personal favorites are:

Rumpleteazer is back with a complex poem I really liked, titled Origin of Symmetry . This is one of those “you need to read it several times” kinda poems that gets deeper each time. (Lose the [ital] though, dude)

Therapy is the fourth poem in two days by a brand new poet by the name of Crystal_Gem. This one is a beaut. Short, not so sweet with a great BDSM edge, it reminds me of some of WickedEve’s stuff (and that is one of my HIGHEST complements).

That's my take for the day. Go read the poems yourself and tell me, and most especially the poets, what YOU think!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Wow! There are 31 new poems today. I feel like Willy Wonka pressing you forward to see all the magnificent wonders. Step lively!

I'd like to direct your attention to Venezuela by Tzara. There is something so very solid about this poem. The imagery appears natural and not contrived. The narrator's tone is condescending which strengthens the validity of the poem.

An Ode to a Junkie by seannelson is a poem that raises some questions about rights. There's a few punctuation issues in the beginning of the poem, but overall this character-driven poem is a pleasure to read.

We have 3 poems by Tristesse2, In the beginning of Crush, I thought of Sleepless in Seattle. Obviously, I've been watching too many chick flicks lately. Crush turned out to be a sweet, sentimental poem. Monuments is a fittingly serious description of the presence of crosses that mark highway deaths. Erotica at Poetry Night describes the trail of the private exposed publically and spread to fuel more private erotic visions. I found it realistic with a touch of humor in the hypocritical nature of humanity and sexuality.

Then, sex with alex by fabled_faerie is this poet's first submission. It's a poem with a fast tempo. Though I was not so invested in the couple during the poem, the ending was emotional and sound.

Raw Road Salt by Sadean contains some fresh, vivid descriptions. It's a little wordy for my taste, but the rich description makes it well worth the read.

Being that I have a paper due by midnight, I will have to cut the tour of the new poems short. If anyone wants to pick up where I left off, please feel free to do so. Take some time to read through the poems and comment. Thanks!

Thank you to Tristesse2 and Safe_Bet for the compliments. As a newcomer I was a little nervous to post my writing but the warm welcome has encouraged me and you will definitely be seeing more! - I'm glad I was steered to this site! - More later....I'm sure.

Not fair! LadynStFreknBed got 31 poems and only left a measly half dozen for the Tuesday review.

OOPs I lied. More have appeared. How do they do that?

Oh well, read Tzara's Aintree which might be interpreted as a well crafted commentary on the shenanigans at the Hangout. Even if it isn't commentary it's still well crafted.

If you are a Tragically Hip - ster then winterobserver's allusion in Nautical Disaster will amuse.

If you are in the mood for a quickie-in-rhyme then Waited by Tomiboi is 11 happy couplets to bliss.

If you enjoyed that, but your tastes run a little on the wilder side, today seems to be the day for rhyming couplets. Taunus has four poems: Anisha, Collar, caged and coin-girl. Oops I missed one. Blue Jay.

That's it for me. Tata all.

Last edited:
Thursday

The majority of today's poems, in general, are good. Nothing in particular really caught my eye, still a decent enough poetry day, so give the new poems a read.

Wickedeve. This review is unacceptable. in fact it is offensive. There are several poems worth making note of. Passionate Soul being one of them. You took the very very lazy road here. Perhaps it's time to step down from reviewing then...

Anyone can review whatever takes their eye so go ahead review it I look forward to seeing your full review soon

Wickedeve. This review is unacceptable. in fact it is offensive. There are several poems worth making note of. Passionate Soul being one of them. You took the very very lazy road here. Perhaps it's time to step down from reviewing then...
Yes, I am lazy. A very bad lazy slut. Please call me a bad lazy slut. Just once...
Would you like to review Thursdays as a regular reviewer? You would? The job is all yours. Start now. Do it for your lazy slut. :kiss:

t boy is right. i am obnoxious.

Hey, you charming little asshat, you just might want to study a calendar before you shoot your yap off again. Passionate Soul was posted yesterday, sunshine. This is the place where you say "Oops! Sorry Eve. I was wrong."

BTW, I DID read that poem YESTERDAY and I personally don't think it was one of Cal's best efforts. He has written MUCH better ones than that. Just saying...

Last edited:

I don't want to junk up the review thread and I will MOVE your post and mine to the "keep the review thread clean" thread -- later.

You did not PM me with a problem. You did not come onto this thread and offer your opinions of the poems. You did not simply mention that you were disappointed with my lack of a review, instead you were insulting. I've seen other reviewers ask the readers to check out the new poems, without doing a review because none of the poems really appealed to them. Do they get a comment like the one I received? No. You are disrespectful but, hey, this is free speech, baby. And it's free for you and me. So you make your comments and I'll make mine. If you want to review a poem, then do it. As for Thursday, it's mine for now.

Okay, I found Passionate Soul by Cal Y. Pygia. It was posted yesterday. He has public comments turned OFF. Some of us do not mention poems with comments turned off, because we assume the poet is not looking for feedback.

You are welcome to review poems here anytime. Everyone is. And poetry recommendations are subjective. I think everyone who has reviewed here has pointed out many times that the reviews are nothing more than one person's opinion. It's easy to criticize a reviewer, harder to do a good review yourself. You're new here so you many not realize that. Why don't you try some reviewing yourself and see how well you do with it? Not trying to give you a hard time, just a suggestion.

Back