The Official Author's Hangout Winter Holidays 2012 Contest Support Thread

Thanks. I'll be going back to bed soon. I think I've been up and out of bed for an hour or so now. A record after the past two days.

Uh oh, I feel a zanzo question coming on:

Ladies how long can you remain horizontal?

What PL, you've only been out of bed for an hour? Uh huh uh huh uh huh.....

Uh oh, I feel a zanzo question coming on:

Ladies how long can you remain horizontal?

What PL, you've only been out of bed for an hour? Uh huh uh huh uh huh.....

Hahaha. One an apparently remain mostly horizontal for the better part of 48 hours if a serious stomach virus gets hold of you. Not necessarily comfortably so, but more comfortably than being upright.

Hahaha. One an apparently remain mostly horizontal for the better part of 48 hours if a serious stomach virus gets hold of you. Not necessarily comfortably so, but more comfortably than being upright.

My wife had this last week, she actually called out of work, first day she's missed in four years.

When she called to tell them she wasn't coming in it took her five minutes to convince them it wasn't ajoke.

She was in bed all day and it wasn't in the Zanzo way

Today was a bad day to notice this contest since it closes in...hours :p

What the hell. I'm in the mood to write another short, and I think I can manage a winter theme. Here goes!

My wife had this last week, she actually called out of work, first day she's missed in four years.

When she called to tell them she wasn't coming in it took her five minutes to convince them it wasn't ajoke.

She was in bed all day and it wasn't in the Zanzo way

Guess it's going around; my neighbor's family had it as well. Now that the stomach virus is over, it seems my cold can resume. It's going to be a quiet, slow day in the Penn household today. Or as close as we can get with the kids off school.

Today was a bad day to notice this contest since it closes in...hours :p

What the hell. I'm in the mood to write another short, and I think I can manage a winter theme. Here goes!

Good luck, you've got until midnight and I think that is EST, here in the US.

Missed out this year.

I had hoped, with a major improvement at the start of November in our grandchildren's care so that we reduced from looking after them 4 days a week to one long day, that I would have more time for writing.

I had more time to do all the things that have been on hold for the ten months that we had been grandchild caring 4 days a week. :rolleyes:

Good luck, you've got until midnight and I think that is EST, here in the US.

Oh, good. I'm having a little trouble easing into the sex scene at the moment, so its good to know I don't have to rush it too much.

You pretty much "win" just by entering the contest. A contest story is listed at the top of the New list (my observation on my own stories that get posted near the top is that they get more reader attention there; your mileage may vary). It also is listed on a separate, special list, where it remains visible throughout the contest. Although your mileage may vary, I always get more reads across my story file, including way back in the file, and more author and story "favorite" votes and more e-mail comments during a contest when I have stories entered. So, just entering a story is an immediate "win."

I feel the same way. Story #2 is getting a bunch of reads and is scoring higher than #1. Plus, a whole bunch of new "Favorite Author" votes. Is this a win? I guess so!

Contest analysis - Winter Holidays Contest 2012

Good evening. The anachronisms tell me that there are 116 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.17 from an average of 258 votes. Stories had an average of 23,078 views, an average of 7 favorites, and an average of 8 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.26%. The average number of pages is 2.6, with the longest story being 12 pages.

So far there have been a total of 27,967 votes, 2,677,148 views, 897 favorites and 1,006 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.17) is 0.45 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 258) is 261. The median score is 4.23, the median number of votes is 156 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.52 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 3.92 or below.

Sweeps

Some votes have been reduced (swept) since the start of the competition. A total of 13 stories have had their votes adjusted, with 13 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is higher than before and 1 sweep resulting in a new score that day which is lower. There were a total of 96 votes swept, being an average of 7 per swept story. The maximum number of votes swept for a single story was 46. (Figures based on toplists, and may not be totally accurate).

Categories entered (alphabetic order)

• BDSM (5 stories)
  • Celebrities (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (11 stories)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur (2 stories)
  • Fetish (1 story)
  • First Time (3 stories)
  • Gay Male (11 stories)
  • Group Sex (15 stories)
  • Humor & Satire (3 stories)
  • Illustrated (3 stories)
  • Incest/Taboo (19 stories)
  • Interracial Love (1 story)
  • Lesbian Sex (5 stories)
  • Loving Wives (4 stories)
  • Mature (1 story)
  • Mind Control (1 story)
  • Non-Erotic (4 stories)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance (1 story)
  • NonHuman (2 stories)
  • Novels and Novellas (2 stories)
  • Romance (15 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (3 stories)
  • Text With Audio (2 stories)
  • Toys & Masturbation (1 story)

New stories today

Authors entered so far are:

Acktion, Ada Stuart, Alex De Kok, allthewayin, amandablaze, AndrewJackson, Ashson, Aulcidus, Belongs2Beth (3), BenLong, Benny024, Boxlicker101, BuckyDuckman, Butterflies512, calibeachgirl, Cinner (2), dagan732, datedsoul, DG Hear, drdirty8 (2), D_Lynn, EdgarPleaseCain (2), Eros5150, friskygirl51, geronimo_appleby (3), ggroyale, GirlintheMoon, Harlock606, HeyAll (3), HollyS, Honeydip79, ilikeitlikethat18, inqusitivepuppy (2), Jasmynn_Brown (2), javawarrior, JayDavid, JosephWrites, JuliaBonham, justboycrazy, kms1987, LaRascasse, la_chica, LesLumens, lovecraft68, luvthedesserts (2), MagicMouse, MarieWriter, MistressLynn, MSTarot, m_storyman_x (2), NaokoSmith, Naughtily_Written, northlander, OliShawcross, petitmort, Powerofthepen, PrincessErin, PrincessKashmir (2), qhml1, reddirtwriter, RedHairedandFriendly (2), ringdingaling48, Rockinworld, Rockywriter2012, Rugrat60 (2), Schaka, silkstockingslover (2), SilverSparrow, sirhugs (2), sophist801, SpotInTheSand, sr71plt (6), SusanJillParker, Tara_Neale (2), theravenfox, TinyBeth (2), tmoney249, tonyd1509, Tx Tall Tales, TxRad (3), Untameable_Guy, voluptuary_manque (2), WayneGibbous, YDB95 (2), ZenJinni, Zrnko_Pisku (2)

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on:

• The category page
  • The author's page
  • The toplists page

can all be different.

Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Winter Holidays Contest 2012

Looking unlikely that I'll finish the second story in time for the contest. My increased hours at work and having to deal with the car acting stupid on my days off has just kept me away too much.

I'm going to see about finishing it off today, but I really hate doing that. I don't do bad with self-edits when I have time to employ all my tools, but it's always far cleaner when it has time to sit, simmer, and then go through the full editing process -- including a second set of eyes.

This is one that won't just languish until next year, though. This contest at least has a window after it ends where the theme is still relevant ( as long as it isn't Thanksgiving ) so there's still plenty of time to post a Christmas story before the actual holiday.

Perfectly tickled with my 38k views and 400+ votes on Center Piece. That's about double what I was expecting. Lots of new votes, favs, and comments on old stuff as well. Always the primary goal :)

I think the new favs back fires on me a little in the contests.

The most glaring example was V-Day when I put a story out in mature that also most likely could have fit in Romance(but I think mature was the right choice) it did well and I had a lot of comments and many said "going to read the rest of your stuff!"

Yeah well nothing else I have written is anything like that, its either dark, incest, or dark incest.

so many new favs un favorited me pretty quickly.

I saw it to a lesser degree in Nude Day when I did a group entry.

In Summer LOvin and Halloween I entered in incest and got a big wave of new favs and of course they pretty much stuck.

This one I'm back in group, but now at least have three stories in that category so maybe some people will check out the other two stories.

Yet another factor in the endless possibilities here.

I think the new favs back fires on me a little in the contests.

The most glaring example was V-Day when I put a story out in mature that also most likely could have fit in Romance(but I think mature was the right choice) it did well and I had a lot of comments and many said "going to read the rest of your stuff!"

Yeah well nothing else I have written is anything like that, its either dark, incest, or dark incest.

so many new favs un favorited me pretty quickly.

I saw it to a lesser degree in Nude Day when I did a group entry.

In Summer LOvin and Halloween I entered in incest and got a big wave of new favs and of course they pretty much stuck.

This one I'm back in group, but now at least have three stories in that category so maybe some people will check out the other two stories.

Yet another factor in the endless possibilities here.

Having work across the board, so to speak, does have it advantages. There's something for everyone.

Having work across the board, so to speak, does have it advantages. There's something for everyone.

No doubt it does and I've done some of that this year.

Last year was all about my SWB series, but this year I submitted stories in Fetish, Group, Non-Consent, BDSM and even a shot at LW.

But my true interest is incest and sometimes I look at it as writing is a good outlet for me and fun, so why make myself write what I'd rather not?

But I did make a "bucket list" of categories I want to write in and still owe myself an interracial and a Lesbian. I wanted to do a First time, but the underage rule makes that particular cat implausible to me so if I ever do one I won't submit it here.

Oh, and I'm also thinking of entering the V-day contest in Romance. So if nothing else that should lower the average score of that category next year:rolleyes:

ETA I caught up on a few entries last night, I enjoyed Candy Cane Legs, read it out loud to the wife, so we both enjoyed;)

Last edited:
No doubt it does and I've done some of that this year.

Last year was all about my SWB series, but this year I submitted stories in Fetish, Group, Non-Consent, BDSM and even a shot at LW.

But my true interest is incest and sometimes I look at it as writing is a good outlet for me and fun, so why make myself write what I'd rather not?

But I did make a "bucket list" of categories I want to write in and still owe myself an interracial and a Lesbian. I wanted to do a First time, but the underage rule makes that particular cat implausible to me so if I ever do one I won't submit it here.

Oh, and I'm also thinking of entering the V-day contest in Romance. So if nothing else that should lower the average score of that category next year:rolleyes:

ETA I caught up on a few entries last night, I enjoyed Candy Cane Legs, read it out loud to the wife, so we both enjoyed;)

Thanks for the read and I'm glad you both enjoyed it.

Thanks for the read and I'm glad you both enjoyed it.

No problem, I'm going to try to get to your BDSM entry as well. I didn't vote as I've heard authors votes are swept.

She voted though and I'm wondering if it will stick because her id was created from the same ISP as mine.

No problem, I'm going to try to get to your BDSM entry as well. I didn't vote as I've heard authors votes are swept.

She voted though and I'm wondering if it will stick because her id was created from the same ISP as mine.

From what Laurel said a little while back, our votes count. I'd assume though, that if they formed a lowball pattern they would be swept. But that's just my opinion.

Looks like I made it in time :)

I feel a lot better about this than my last short, though trying to write an intentionally happy ending proved a little challenging when my typical fare is romance with a painful twist or the occasional 'stroke' story as it seems to be referred to here. I hope to get some good feedback if/when it gets published!

Decided catching up on my sleep was a more valuable investment of time :p

Actually feel better without the deadline looming over me, which I hope will make it easier to get this one done and out there -- fully polished -- over the next couple of weeks.

I needed an excuse to push out a short since I haven't had anything published on this site yet and the current focus of my attention is a much, much longer work :)

is there an unofficial last place award again? If so my second entry is a contender... apparently stretching o try interracial is not a good idea for a contest... I'd say "who knew?" but I at least suspected.

Back