As The Hospital Pervs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We get just one at a time, for a three month stint. The last one was awesome; friendly, smart, funny, and eager. He acknowledged that we have a LOT of collected wisdom, and would often write whatever orders we asked for. Plus, he was damned hawt. I'm gonna miss him.

This new one, I've seen her every week day for two weeks, and I still wouldn't recognize her on the street. When she walks down the hall, I keep thinking, "is that a new social worker?" She's just that memorable. :rolleyes:
We get a group. The third years are accountable for the first and second years. This leads to a lot of talking. I feel like I am always repeating myself.

The friendly, smart, funny ones make the shift go by. We all have our favorites. :heart:

Remember this stuff?

Nursing Diagnosis: Energy Field, Disturbed

Definition: Disruption of the flow of energy surrounding a person's being that results in disharmony of the body, mind, and/or spirit.

Major Interventions: Environmental management: Comfort, therapeutic touch.

Suggested Interventions: Aromatherapy, energy management, fever treatment, simple guided imagery, spiritual support.

Optional Interventions: Anxiety reduction, positioning, sleep enhancement.

Outcome: Comfort level- extent of the positive perception of physical and psychological ease.

Tonights meeting: Over sedation in the ICU, brought to you by the doctors that don't sit 24 hours at the bedside trying to comfort a wide awake person on the ventilator. Nursing dose!

Tonights meeting: Over sedation in the ICU, brought to you by the doctors that don't sit 24 hours at the bedside trying to comfort a wide awake person on the ventilator. Nursing dose!

Oh, yes. I am waaaaaay too familiar with this one. If the current dose is effective, we MUST try to decrease it! Minimally medicated state!

Oh, yes. I am waaaaaay too familiar with this one. If the current dose is effective, we MUST try to decrease it! Minimally medicated state!
It's pretty crazy! One time I said: Good luck to you! I hope you are never in an ICU bed without being adequately sedated.

I had a patient self extubate on time, wide awake. Pulled the tube right out.

It's pretty crazy! One time I said: Good luck to you! I hope you are never in an ICU bed without being adequately sedated.

I had a patient self extubate on time, wide awake. Pulled the tube right out.

Yikes. That can't be pleasant. I have a patient right now who is in palliative care, on a subcutaneous morphine pump. He's doing much better on it, so much so that they're trying to decide if he's still "actively dying." I've known this guy for almost 10 years now, he's one of our long term residents, and he's never been this comfortable in that time. So, OF COURSE, we have to talk about pulling the pump. 'Cuz, you know, morphine is addictive. And we can't have you dying addicted to morphine now, can we? :mad:

Danger.

attachment.php

Attachments

• danger.gif
    danger.gif
    46.5 KB · Views: 132
I like when the drug companies sponsor lectures. They always bring good food. Today's talk was on partial-onset seizures (with, of course, a plug for their med which will prevent them :rolleyes: ), which was actually very informative, and they had a whole lunch spread from Panera. Yay for sammiches!

Bonehead move of the month. A young lady we see periodically received a gastrostomy tube about a year ago, at our suggestion. (She HATES eating and was skinny as a rail.) Nothing but problems since - loose, foul-smelling stools, she has actually LOST weight, and constantly complains of belly pain. They've tried every formula out there, same results.

Sooooo... She comes back in for a 30 day stay so we can figure out what the fuck is wrong with the tube. They want her to do a barium swallow, and one of our RNs suggests that they also put some barium through the tube. Ya know, just to see. Long story short, the surgeon made a major error in placing the tube last year. Yeah, it's not actually in her stomach at all. It's in her transverse colon. Umm... oopsie?

So she had a new tube placed last week. No more nasty shit, no more pain, and she's gained 3 lbs already. And I'm left wondering, don't they check that shit when they place the damn tube?

Bonehead move of the month. A young lady we see periodically received a gastrostomy tube about a year ago, at our suggestion. (She HATES eating and was skinny as a rail.) Nothing but problems since - loose, foul-smelling stools, she has actually LOST weight, and constantly complains of belly pain. They've tried every formula out there, same results.

Sooooo... She comes back in for a 30 day stay so we can figure out what the fuck is wrong with the tube. They want her to do a barium swallow, and one of our RNs suggests that they also put some barium through the tube. Ya know, just to see. Long story short, the surgeon made a major error in placing the tube last year. Yeah, it's not actually in her stomach at all. It's in her transverse colon. Umm... oopsie?

So she had a new tube placed last week. No more nasty shit, no more pain, and she's gained 3 lbs already. And I'm left wondering, don't they check that shit when they place the damn tube?

Holy cow! Her transverse colon?!?!? Yeah, they are suppose to be checking those. Either someone dropped the ball or the radiologist reading those films is an idiot!

Holy cow! Her transverse colon?!?!? Yeah, they are suppose to be checking those. Either someone dropped the ball or the radiologist reading those films is an idiot!

This, I am told, was a dropped ball. When the tube was originally placed, it was not checked. We're still trying to figure that one out. Also, how do you mistake the colon for the fucking STOMACH? Was the surgeon blind, or was he just operating blind?

My theory: the guy who was supposed to be operating the laparoscope was out sick that day. :rolleyes:

This, I am told, was a dropped ball. When the tube was originally placed, it was not checked. We're still trying to figure that one out. Also, how do you mistake the colon for the fucking STOMACH? Was the surgeon blind, or was he just operating blind?

My theory: the guy who was supposed to be operating the laparoscope was out sick that day. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm glad they figured it out finally!

Stories like this make one a bit hesitant to go into a hospital, for anything. How many times does something like this happen and no one knows, except the medical people?

Holy Crap! If they'd put it much deeper, it would have been back out of her. Okay, probably not, there are a lot of twists and turns between there and the "exit". But, damn!

Two words that can strike terror into the hearts of direct care workers everywhere:

norovirus outbreak

Goddammit.

I have a thing for back care. I love to rub backs. I want a lover just so I can look at his back and touch it.

They always die in threes.

K____ died Thursday night, G____ early this morning. Both unexpected. The unasked question - Who will be the third?

Huge thank you to all of the medical professionals out there.

Wife's grandmother (92) fell last Sunday and fractured her femoral neck. This makes both knees replaced, and both hips broken in the past decade. Grandma started to cry after the doctor told her it was her hip, saying that "a woman her age with a broken hip doesn't come out of the hospital." I explained to the doctor and nurses (outside the room) that when she fractured her hip the last time the staff told her it was her femoral neck and not her hip, she had cheered up and worked harder at getting better. Everyone now refers to her injury as a broken leg, and grandma has been up and walking on it. She is also off the morphine (she is a mean drunk) and cutting way back on the pain meds. Looking at a long rehabilitation, but she is planning on going to Hawaii with us this spring.

Already thanked the staff at the hospital but wanted to throw this on here as we'll.

Huge thank you to all of the medical professionals out there.

Wife's grandmother (92) fell last Sunday and fractured her femoral neck. This makes both knees replaced, and both hips broken in the past decade. Grandma started to cry after the doctor told her it was her hip, saying that "a woman her age with a broken hip doesn't come out of the hospital." I explained to the doctor and nurses (outside the room) that when she fractured her hip the last time the staff told her it was her femoral neck and not her hip, she had cheered up and worked harder at getting better. Everyone now refers to her injury as a broken leg, and grandma has been up and walking on it. She is also off the morphine (she is a mean drunk) and cutting way back on the pain meds. Looking at a long rehabilitation, but she is planning on going to Hawaii with us this spring.

Already thanked the staff at the hospital but wanted to throw this on here as we'll.

Well, on the bright side, she's got all the major bionic joints now. And hips are usually an easier rehab than knees. Incidentally, there's some evidence that the order is backwards - she didn't fall and break her hip when she landed, the hip snapped because of a lifetime of walking on it (and probably at 92 no small degree of osteoporosis), and that caused her to fall.

Attitude is so important in rehab. Shame on the doctor who told her she wouldn't get out of the hospital. Good luck to her (and you). Enjoy Hawaii!

They always die in threes.

K____ died Thursday night, G____ early this morning. Both unexpected. The unasked question - Who will be the third?

Didn't have to wait long for the answer. A priest was called in today to administer last rites to one of the long-term residents. She has lupus, so has been in a lot of pain for probably about 10 years. Her suffering will be over soon (if not already).

The doctor didn't tell her she wouldn't be leaving, 12 years living in a senior center did. Hard telling on the fall break - break fall order. I was surprised looking at the X-ray that there was almost no shifting of the bones. After her last break she picked up on her walking excerise and takes a dedicated 5 mile walk. She credits playing basketball in high school and college ( and living in alaska since 1938) for the fact she has lived this long.

I do think she is having small strokes/senior moments. I'm thinking that caused her fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back