More Stolen, Republished Lit. Works?

sr71plt

Literotica Guru
My most recent story posted to Lit. “Sailor’s Bluff,” was stolen and published to Amazon within two days under a different title but word for word. The story had been published by my publisher a few months ago in an anthology available at Amazon. Just pointing that out prompted Amazon to take the stolen work down (but it left other works by the thief). The same “author,” M. Prince has put up five other erotica works in the last three weeks. They aren’t mine, but they might be yours. The title will be changed but you should be able to recognize the blurb.

These are all straight ones; mine was GM.

These this month.

“At the Gym”: https://www.amazon.com/At-Gym-Strai...s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1512938788&sr=1-12

“My Beautiful Wife”: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byl...xt&field-author=M.++Prince&sort=relevancerank

“Fun on the Cape”: https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Cape-Str...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1512939555&sr=1-9

“The Detour”: https://www.amazon.com/Detour-Strai...s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1512939682&sr=1-14

Earlier, M. Prince put this one up at Amazon (on 17 November):

“Just Me & Her”: https://www.amazon.com/Just-Me-Her-...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1512939372&sr=1-5

What a fucking douche bag. Two days!

Why is it Amazon's policy to let this asshat get away with blatant theft, by letting him/her keep the other stuff up? One would like to think the thought process would be, "gee, look, this guy's stolen someone else's work, maybe everything else is suspect too."

Burden of proof, I guess. Some people are just perpetually low life. That sucks.

Glad to see you got a take-down, Pilot.

Sucks even more that it was already on Amazon and they didn't match it when it was uploaded

Is this sort of thing an anomaly?

That really sucks. Glad you caught them out and I'm happy that Amazon took action. It would have been better if they banned him/her, but I'm happy to hear that your work was protected.

Thanks for the heads-up, sr71plt. I know how to do a quoted search on google to see if any of my work has been posted to other sites, but I'm not sure how to tell if someone is putting it in a book on Amazon. How did you find out about this? Can you explain so other authors can do the same?

Thanks for the heads-up, sr71plt. I know how to do a quoted search on google to see if any of my work has been posted to other sites, but I'm not sure how to tell if someone is putting it in a book on Amazon. How did you find out about this? Can you explain so other authors can do the same?

A buyer of the anthology the story ran in before I posted it here sent me a message that another version had been posted to Amazon. The buyer has done the same before. I don't go looking for them and I turned this one over to my publisher. Amazon took it down, though, before he could contact them. A nasty "this was stolen" review citing a previous Amazon product out was posted on the story and Amazon took it down overnight. Guess they don't like such things being pointed out in reviews and this might be a quicker means than contacting Amazon with a take-down request. In my case, there almost always will be an earlier Amazon version of a story posted to Lit., so there isn't much question by Amazon who published it first.

That's been my advice to those not wanting thieves to put their work on Amazon. Put it on Amazon yourself first.

"My Beautiful Wife" is "A Beautiful Wife"

https://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?url=a-beautiful-wife-1&page=1

None of the others turn up anything when searching any of the reasonably unique sentences within the preview on the listing page. It's possible that deeper dives into the actual preview of the book might turn up some hits.

Except one...

Ironically enough, a Russian site has stolen "Just Me & Her" and made it available for free download. LMAO

Reported "My Beautiful Wife" as being available here for free with a link, and noted that it was likely stolen.

It looks like it's already gone.

You'd think that after two hits, they'd have the sense to wipe the thief out completely.

You're entirely dependent upon the rare readers who cross over into the pay market.

In SR's case, he publishes almost everything to the pay market before eventually posting it here, so he has the advantage of already having eyes within the pay market.

Because you can't search Amazon the way you can other sites, it's virtually impossible to find your stuff there. The search is honestly crap unless you know exactly what you're looking for, so the kind of phrase searching you use to find stolen stuff elsewhere isn't going to help.

You have to hope a reader spots it, or somebody else's reader spots something and it gets announced here. Then you can search a specific thief's catalog to see if they've ripped you off.

How did you find out about this? Can you explain so other authors can do the same?

How did you find out about this? Can you explain so other authors can do the same?

Why does that also sound familiar? That's twice now this morning that you've quoted my posts verbatim, beastgq. I'll acknowledge imitation as a form of flattery, but this is weird.

Why does that also sound familiar? That's twice now this morning that you've quoted my posts verbatim, beastgq. I'll acknowledge imitation as a form of flattery, but this is weird.

It appears to be beastgq's M.O.; he/she, as far as I can tell from a quick scan, has done this in every thread in which he/she has posted. It is weird.

It appears to be beastgq's M.O.; he/she, as far as I can tell from a quick scan, has done this in every thread in which he/she has posted. It is weird.

I'm starting to think that beastgq might just be a bot set up to promote that "Free Sex" link in its signature. It points to the URL strea.ml - a Mali country code. I'm not going to risk clicking on it to learn more.

I'm starting to think that beastgq might just be a bot set up to promote that "Free Sex" link in its signature. It points to the URL strea.ml - a Mali country code. I'm not going to risk clicking on it to learn more.

That seems wise. Is that worth reporting?

Yep, that's a thing spambots do here once in a while. They paste other people's content to make their posts look superficially topical, but there's always a spam link somewhere.

Yep, that's a thing spambots do here once in a while. They paste other people's content to make their posts look superficially topical, but there's always a spam link somewhere.

Useful to know.

I see the same occasionally with PMs - I report them straightaway to Laurel, so she can ban the account.

Saw the same thing in a Comment the other day, where a spambot picked up on the content of a story and added a comment saying "go here for blah blah blah". Well written content, it could easily look like an author endorsement. I deleted it.

When it's a user's signature that is the problem, you actually need to report it directly to Laurel via PM. I can't change signature lines.

However, when it's a slow and minor spam attack like this, using the report button will work. I'll deal with the posts as soon as I see them and relay the ban request to Laurel. If it's a larger attack, you may want to go ahead and alert Laurel, just in case I'm away.

All of the spambot's posts within the AH have been removed, and Laurel has been alerted.

How do you find your stories when they are published on Amazon under a different name? I am clueless. ;)

How do you find your stories when they are published on Amazon under a different name? I am clueless. ;)

With great difficulty. As RR and SR have said, you're basically dependent on readers there recognising it.

One trick I occasionally use (and this thread has reminded me that I need to do it for my current WiP) is to add a pirate trap somewhere in the middle of the story: "if you're reading this story somewhere other than literotica.com, be aware that it's been stolen". One reader found that in an Amazon story, searched for the original, and got in touch to let me know, which allowed me to get it taken down.

Back