Seldom-used words - M to A

Og, I have always been fascinated by the catapult and, now, I am a fan of the mangonel and the trebuchet, thanks to your wonderful input. You are the greatest! I will have to look and see if America has one left standing. Britain certainly has the advantage on medieval artifacts and the like.

If you are a fan of trebuchets, mangonels, onangers, and other archaic devices for flinging things, check out "Punkin Chunkin":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC6RJxFEMfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ryYaK5Dg0

(eta: the first is a relatively short tutorial on trebuchets, the second is a full TV episode.)

A lot of the videos devote a lot of time to the Air Cannons, but the catapult divisions are the most interesting to me.
 
If you are a fan of trebuchets, mangonels, onangers, and other archaic devices for flinging things, check out "Punkin Chunkin":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC6RJxFEMfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ryYaK5Dg0

(eta: the first is a relatively short tutorial on trebuchets, the second is a full TV episode.)

A lot of the videos devote a lot of time to the Air Cannons, but the catapult divisions are the most interesting to me.

I fancy a go at this electric canon stuff.
 
Carlus, the funny thing about that saying, dog in the manger, is that I have never heard it before, although I may use it, now that I know about it.

Og and Handley, thanks for the heads up about eating mangel-wurzels, I will approach them with care, if I ever run into them anywhere.

Thanks, Harold, for the additional links on trebuchets, they are very interesting and look like a lot of fun, actually.

Isn't this a great word;

manful - adj having or showing courage and resolution

I somehow doubt there is a feminine form for this, meaning womanful.
 
Very nicely put, Handley.

I have heard of "his girl Friday", but I forgot about this one, which obviously came first;

man Friday - noun an efficient and devoted aide or employee; a right-hand man
 
Very nicely put, Handley.

I have heard of "his girl Friday", but I forgot about this one, which obviously came first;

man Friday - noun an efficient and devoted aide or employee; a right-hand man
Both are probably derived from the character "Friday" in Robinson Caruso
 
I think you've gotten the opera singer Enrico Caruso confused with Daniel Defoe's marooned sailor, Robinson Crusoe.

That's confusing, Big Charlie; Enrico may have had a dresser, but Robinson named his new-found 'servant' "Friday," after the day of the week he found him.

Sorry, Charles the Great, I missed the real problem. :eek: Shows me what danger there is in skimming over...(Note to self: Pay more attention.)
 
Last edited:
Thanks, gentlemen, for the added input and corrections. I could use a man Friday very nicely, right about now. hehe

manes - noun 1. often cap: the deified spirits of the ancient Roman dead honored with graveside sacrifices 2. the venerated or appeased spirit of a dead person
 
Thanks, gentlemen, for the added input and corrections. I could use a man Friday very nicely, right about now. hehe

manes - noun 1. often cap: the deified spirits of the ancient Roman dead honored with graveside sacrifices 2. the venerated or appeased spirit of a dead person

Some items belonging to them might be kept as mementoes with the Lares and Penates in the household shrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lares

We still do it - displaying photographs of our deceased relations, or if we are of (English) nobility with a Stately Home - painted portraits of them.

In a Roman Triumph or Funeral procession pictures of the revered ancestors would be carried on display, to emphasise that the person being celebrated had a noble lineage.

The Romans, like English Stately Home owners, would not usually display the un-revered ancestors - the rogues and villains. Both were not averse to 'adopting' ancestors to improve their prestige, even buying other people's family portraits to make a better display.

Julius Caesar was almost a self-made man by Roman standards so he invented some Manes for himself, including a claim to be descended from the Goddess Venus. According to Genes Reunited, I'm descended from Julius Caesar too (and Cleopatra), so his invented Manes are mine too.

I suspect some of my more recent ancestors may have been economical with the truth too, claiming a more exalted descent than the reality.

BUT - descent from Julius Caesar would not be impossible. He was a randy, whoring bastard!
 
Og, did you have a test done with GenesReunited? I have been thinking about getting one done myself to see who I might be related to. Genetics is such a fascinating subject and being tested, nowadays, is a very exciting prospect. Discovering your lineage must have been truly wonderful. Thanks for the great link.

manège also manege - noun 1. a school for teaching horsemanship and for training horses 2. the art of horsemanship or of training horses 3. the movements or paces of a trained horse
 
Og, did you have a test done with GenesReunited? I have been thinking about getting one done myself to see who I might be related to. Genetics is such a fascinating subject and being tested, nowadays, is a very exciting prospect. Discovering your lineage must have been truly wonderful. Thanks for the great link.

...

My wife has her genes mapped. It wasn't as informative as she hoped it might be. Maybe in a decade or so when many more people have their maps on line it might be more useful.

My blood group is not rare but unusual in the UK. It might be an indication that the information on GenesReunited is a possibility since that blood group is more common around the Mediterranean coastline than Northern Europe. That would fit with ancestry from Provence and Italy.

GenesReunited is the cheap version of Family History research mainly used by beginners. The links that create my long extended tree are dubious and unlikely.

Ancestry.com and FindMyPast are more expensive but those using it tend to be more accurate with their information. Even so, some of the information found is improbable or impossible e.g. a 19th Century woman giving birth in her early 60s.
 
Og, thank you for the information on genetic testing. I don't know when I will do this, but now I know which places are the best, thanks to you.

Too good to pass up;

mandragora - noun MANDRAKE
 
...

manège also manege - noun 1. a school for teaching horsemanship and for training horses 2. the art of horsemanship or of training horses 3. the movements or paces of a trained horse

William Cavendish introduced manege to England. His buildings at Bolsover Castle are still impressive.

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2013-03-28/the-history-of-william-cavendish-father-of-dressage/

Recreation:

211_01_038-resized.jpg


Bolsover Castle Riding School:
Riding_school,_Bolsover_Castle.jpg
 
Og, Rowling certainly renewed an interest in mandrake. I am a fan of her books, thanks to my children, but would never want to send a child of mine to Hogwarts with all the dangers therein.

However, I have been reading about Qatari sheikh Hamad bin Abdullah Al-Thani in the February edition of Vanity Fair and his restoration of Dudley House, as well as Qatar Racing, which I found very interesting, indeed. Now, I will check out William Cavendish.

A new one for me;

manciple - noun a steward or purveyor esp. for a college or monastery
 
Og, a lot more of the English language is unfamiliar to me than I would have thought when I stared this thread, and manciple is a perfect example. Thank you, once again, for all your contributions. BTW, the history of horse training under William Cavendish was very interesting.

mana - noun 1. the power of the elemental forces of nature embodied in an object or person 2. moral authority: PRESTIGE
 
mana - noun 1. the power of the elemental forces of nature embodied in an object or person 2. moral authority: PRESTIGE

That would appear to be a primarily Polynesian definition. Wikipedia mentions other meanings, such as "curse" in Finnish, and attributes the definitions you cite as derived from "Proto-oceanic."

Mana with one N should not be confused with Manna with two Ns which is the biblical "Manna From Heaven." -- although that is sometimes spelled with one N also, which caused me some confusion when your definition didn't cite the biblical version.
 
Thanks for the clarification, Harold, I have always loved the bible story about manna from heaven. Not so much for the generosity of God, but the part where the Israelites tried to hoard and hide the manna in their tents overnight. As if God would not know the difference. Human nature does not really change, even in the face of miracles, is the lesson I learned.

This is to remind me to use this word in my writing;

mammy - noun 1. MAMA 2. a black woman serving as a nurse to white children esp. formerly in the southern U.S.
 
Good day, everyone, and I hope you have a lovely week end;

Here is a little gem I discovered in my perusing;

mammonist - noun (1550) archaic one devoted to the ideal or pursuit of wealth
 
Handley, we were both posting at the same time. Yes, Al Jolson sang the song "My Mammy" in blackface back in the day when that was not a racial slur. Times have certainly changed in that regard.

mammock(1) - noun (1529) chiefly dial: a broken piece: SCRAP

mammock(2) - vt (1607) chiefly dial: to tear into fragments: MANGLE
 
Back
Top