The Official Authors' Hangout Valentine's Day 2017 Contest Support Thread

Just one, but it's definitely going to be done in time. Just got the payoff scene to write now; I was worried there for a week or so.

Not sure mine will be finished. I had my friend read what I had written and she thinks one scene is too long, but to me it's a key scene so I don't think I can cut it completely, and it seems too short to even trim it.
So for now I have pushed it aside.

Not sure mine will be finished. I had my friend read what I had written and she thinks one scene is too long, but to me it's a key scene so I don't think I can cut it completely, and it seems too short to even trim it.
So for now I have pushed it aside.

Feedback is fine and should definitely be considered, but trust yourself. You listened to their opinion, evaluated the scene based on the feedback, but if you still feel it's a key scene that wouldn't benefit from a trim, you are the author and final arbiter.
Art by committee is often short on the art.

My editor recently pointed out that I had two distinct themes running through a novella and suggested I cut one of them and use it in something else. I reread it and decided to strengthen the sub-theme instead, so the two interwove more thoroughly. It made the story longer, but also deeper and more complete. I used the critique, valued it, but did not feel any obligation to follow their specific suggestion.

Now, if 4 or 5 people all tell me the same thing, that warrants a closer look.

I wish we could do at least a cover illustration. I have the perfect one for my "The Wolf with the Red Roses."

little_red_riding_hood_teaser_by_endintears.jpg

It's been a while since I've been around these parts, but that most blessed combination of inspiration and free time struck today and I wrote something that wasn't code. Who knows! Maybe I'll submit something!

Which really means I'll get it done for summer lovin' but I'm trying to be an optimist. ;)

Feedback is fine and should definitely be considered, but trust yourself. You listened to their opinion, evaluated the scene based on the feedback, but if you still feel it's a key scene that wouldn't benefit from a trim, you are the author and final arbiter.
Art by committee is often short on the art.

My editor recently pointed out that I had two distinct themes running through a novella and suggested I cut one of them and use it in something else. I reread it and decided to strengthen the sub-theme instead, so the two interwove more thoroughly. It made the story longer, but also deeper and more complete. I used the critique, valued it, but did not feel any obligation to follow their specific suggestion.

Now, if 4 or 5 people all tell me the same thing, that warrants a closer look.

You know what's funny, the scene she is saying is too long is when they go to their hotel room for the first time and the main character is describing it.
I once had a comment on a story here and the person said I lacked detail and that I should have described the hotel room, the bed, the city, so I find it funny my friend is complaining about just the opposite!
I guess it's true that you can't please everyone.

But the whole thing still has put me off of the story and I don't know that I'll ever finish it.

Mine's ready but it appears I shouldn't submit it too early. Maybe I'll submit it on the 17th. Any idea when the stories will become available on the website and where to find them?

My story has only about 8,000 words, but that's long enough for me - even though it appears all previous winners have been much longer. Personally I'm not a fan of long stories and generally get bored after I've read a few pages. So I guess I don't have much chance of winning, but I enjoyed writing it in any case.

If long stories are a pre-requisite for winning contests on Literotica, I probably won't bother in the future.

Last edited:
Mine's ready and I'm submitting it today. Any idea when the stories will be available on the website and where to find them?

They'll be linked to the front page of Literotica.com some time during the first day - 19th/20th January.

You might want to see the results of entering that have nothing to do with cash prizes.

Contest stories typically receive a lot more attention than regular submissions, and often lead to bumps in your existing stories as well.

Mine's ready but it appears I shouldn't submit it too early. Maybe I'll submit it on the 17th. Any idea when the stories will become available on the website and where to find them?

My story has only about 8,000 words, but that's long enough for me - even though it appears all previous winners have been much longer. Personally I'm not a fan of long stories and generally get bored after I've read a few pages. So I guess I don't have much chance of winning, but I enjoyed writing it in any case.

If long stories are a pre-requisite for winning contests on Literotica, I probably won't bother in the future.

You might want to see the results of entering that have nothing to do with cash prizes.

Contest stories typically receive a lot more attention than regular submissions, and often lead to bumps in your existing stories as well.

That's what I've found over the last two contests. Readers hit my contest story and if they really like it they move on and read other stories of mine. My biggest view counts are almost all from stories entered in contests. I'm really in them for that rather from any hope of winning (that would be nice of course :D)

I've just hit submit on my first entry.

It wasn't the one I intended to be first. That one is stalled but might be finished by Friday. Two others are part-written. One in the TS/TV category might be binned.

The new one was an idea I had on Friday evening. The complete story was written by Sunday evening and I've just done the last edit. It's shortish at 2,700 words but even so I've probably missed a typo or two. I caught one on Preview.

Keep writing everyone. We need entries.

Watch me jinx it by saying something, but I think this year I'll manage to line up a story for all six contests. Normally I always miss at least one because a couple of the themes (April Fools, Nude Day) for some reason tend to be trouble for me. We'll see.

Second one submitted.

The third will be junked. It isn't working.

But there are possibilities with another draft if I can work out what the villains are up to.

Second one submitted.

The third will be junked. It isn't working.

But there are possibilities with another draft if I can work out what the villains are up to.

Aaaaaand - almost done my first. 50k+ words. Oh well. Should be done tomorrow.

Might as well submit my two, I'm not going to be able to edit them down any further.

I have a story about a 18 year old girl just getting comfortable with the idea that she's a freak. She goes to a crack house on prom night, falls in with a dangerous pimp, and then prostitutes herself with the father of one of her girl friends. It's got drugs, an interracial gang bang, and plenty of hot slut shaming. It also has a happy, uplifting ending, and an epilogue with a (short) ironic meditation on sexuality and nature vs. nurture. :)

Is there a better contest besides V-day for a story like this? I mean, would it be a better fit in Summer or April Fools?

What category would you put it? I suppose noncon, although technically she is only really reluctant about being a freak. Group sex is certainly an option. I suppose Interracial is also on the table. Her friend's father appears in two pivotal sex scenes, so maybe Mature would be a good choice? I guess with so much going on, maybe it would be better to just go Fetish? It's too bad there is no category for slut shaming. It seems like a voyeuristic/exhibitionist sort of kink, but I never do well there.

****!

I've just spotted two instances of the wrong character name in one of my stories.

It's too late now. I'll correct AFTER the contest.

****!

I've just spotted two instances of the wrong character name in one of my stories.

It's too late now. I'll correct AFTER the contest.

Wait, did the contest start? I thought it was still a few days out. I'm confused. :confused:

Wait, did the contest start? I thought it was still a few days out. I'm confused. :confused:

No. It hasn't started but my first two entries have been pre-approved to be posted on day one. I can't amend them because they are no longer pending in blue.

No. It hasn't started but my first two entries have been pre-approved to be posted on day one. I can't amend them because they are no longer pending in blue.

Sigh. Well, that's frustrating for a guy like me. I'm sorry that happened ogg. Good luck with your work.

I suppose you're looking at a local copy? I don't even think you can see your story when it's not pending in blue. :(

Sigh. Well, that's frustrating for a guy like me. I'm sorry that happened ogg. Good luck with your work.

I suppose you're looking at a local copy? I don't even think you can see your story when it's not pending in blue. :(

You can submit a few days early. I did because I'm deep into the possible third entry so I wanted to get the first two submitted and done.

Yes. I keep a copy of the submission. I was just looking at it to make sure I wasn't using a similar name in a draft for Summer Lovin' when I saw that the last two mentions of one character had an earlier version of the name. :eek:

You can submit a few days early. I did because I'm deep into the possible third entry so I wanted to get the first two submitted and done.

Yes. I keep a copy of the submission. I was just looking at it to make sure I wasn't using a similar name in a draft for Summer Lovin' when I saw that the last two mentions of one character had an earlier version of the name. :eek:

One time I noticed an error in a published story, and I just added a comment that called it out and promised to fix it.

Well, I did it. I entered the Valentine's Day contest with an 86,200 word, 200 page Word for Windows story of 24 Literotica pages.

I haven't entered a contest in quite a while. I didn't enter this contest to win, place, or show, I just entered it because I had an idea for a story that was based on a true story from a fan.

Originally, I was going to break it up into 24 chapters but then I realized that lots of readers don't even bother reading chapter stories. Then, again, who in their right mind is going to read an 86,200 word story?

Yet, if it's a mother and son incest story, and it is, then they just may read it (lol).

The story is aptly named, I Love You, Need You & Want You, Ma.

It's a realistic love story between a 48-year-old mother, Elizabeth, and her 24-year-old son, Robert. When their son was 18-years-old, her ex-husband cheated on Elizabeth with his son's 18-year-old girlfriend, Jessica. Once their divorce was final, he married his son's ex-girlfriend. Now, 24-year-old Jessica is Robert's step-mother.

Elizabeth had been sad and drinking more ever since her divorce. Hoping to cheer up his mother, Robert celebrated Valentine's Day with his Mom. Yet, with love and sex, incestuous sex, in the air, one thing leads to another and they're in bed together naked.

Back