Dark Receiver

She stood beside him as he put in his order, glancing round as if expecting that any one of the people around her would keel over on the spot.

"Relax, you've done this loads of times. They're still all here."

She flinched at his comment knowing that at times in her past there were people who were no longer here ... because of her.

"Just a large cappuccino."

She responded. She couldn't help it. She felt stunned by what she had been told, but even more, she was amazed at how well Glen seemed to be taking it.
How could he be ok with it? She definitely wasn't.
 
He paid for their order and leaned against the counter as he looked at her, she seemed skittish and he could not really blame her. To suddenly hear that people who do you a favor will die from a freak accident, would blow your mind, that is why he wanted to be with her, to help her through the confusion and to show her that you could still live with such a "curse" without harming others.

"I once had a teddybear, my parents got it for me to help me feel safe...the problem was that the bear gave me the creeps once the lights went out."

He was looking past her when as he spoke,

"One day it got too much for me, I got hold of a box of matches and when my father put out the light, I waited. Heart beating, cold sweat, hands shaking as I finally got the nerve to strike a match...the flame got extinguished by what felt to me to be a breath."

He smiled slightly,

"My scream woke the neigbors. Needless to say the bear found it's way to the guest room and later to my baby-sister's bedroom."

He looked at her now,

"She slept soundly, even cuddled the bear. She still have it, still guarding over her in the evenings."

He gave her a slight smile,

"Just something interesting to know I guess."
 
"I once had a teddybear, my parents got it for me to help me feel safe...the problem was that the bear gave me the creeps once the lights went out."

She wasn't sure why he was telling her this, but listened to his story.

"One day it got too much for me, I got hold of a box of matches and when my father put out the light, I waited. Heart beating, cold sweat, hands shaking as I finally got the nerve to strike a match...the flame got extinguished by what felt to me to be a breath ...
My scream woke the neigbors. Needless to say the bear found it's way to the guest room and later to my baby-sister's bedroom. She slept soundly, even cuddled the bear. She still have it, still guarding over her in the evenings.
Just something interesting to know I guess."


Claire was silent for long moments.

" ... so am I the scary teddy .... that you want to put a match to?"

She asked.

"Is this your way of asking me to go live with your sister?"

She managed to comment with a slight smile.
 
He chuckled,

"My dear if I wanted to burn you I would do it at the stake and my sister isn't really somebody I could send you to. She lives in Austria and she will drive you insane."

He smiled,

"I didn't want to burn the bear, I wanted to see what it did when the lights went out, apparently it blew out flames."

He chuckled,

"Well there was no evidence of it being alive though, could have been all my imagination...but you see for everything that happens there is a reason. I wasn't meant to have the teddybear, my sister was. So even with your problem I believe that there is a reason to it and that you can be happy as I am happy now even without benefit of a teddybear."
 
She listened to his explanation;

"... So even with your problem I believe that there is a reason to it and that you can be happy as I am happy now even without benefit of a teddybear."

She shrugged.

" ... perhaps ... takes some getting used to ... and ... I still don't understand how you can be so calm about it ... "

She bit back a sigh.

" ... maybe I should just give up on all this and stay home ... that would be safer all round ... "
 
"No."

His voice was firm and his eyes hardened slightly,

"Never do that to yourself again."

He realized that he must seem on the verge to attack her and relaxed again, running a hand over his face,

"All my life I spent in the theater, I had a living teddy bear sharing a bed with me. I think that the whole "this" is not as bad for me to adjust to and get my head around than it must be for you who never even knew it existed."

He shrugged,

"All I know is that the superstitions of the theater is well-placed, like the things you don't do or say in the building, things you refrain from doing while on the stage. I have seen people disregard these things after they have been told about it and you have saved one such person from their death Claire."

He gently touched her arm where the cuts was from the lights' glass,

"If you were locked away in a room, she would have been dead by now."
 
"No."

His whole demeanour was so much harder than she had ever known before and got her attention instantly.

"Never do that to yourself again."

He was serious, almost aggressively so, but it was what Claire needed to make her take notice.

"All my life I spent in the theater, I had a living teddy bear sharing a bed with me. I think that the whole "this" is not as bad for me to adjust to and get my head around than it must be for you who never even knew it existed."

Though more relaxed, she knew he was as insistent and somewhat frustrated by the need to make her listen and take note of what he told her.

"All I know is that the superstitions of the theater is well-placed, like the things you don't do or say in the building, things you refrain from doing while on the stage. I have seen people disregard these things after they have been told about it and you have saved one such person from their death Claire."

His words puzzled her until his touch guided her attention down to the glass cuts still visible in her arm.

"If you were locked away in a room, she would have been dead by now."

Life and death ... she had always thought it to be a matter of chance, or fate. To be the reason for someone's death had totally freaked her, but she had never thought that it might perhaps be counter balanced by something equally as powerful that could save life too.

"To have that ... responsibility ... it just scares me so much, Glen."

Claire confessed shakily.

"I'd rather something happen to me than anyone else, much less to people I care about, people I love."

She took a shuddering breath.

"I guess I have to deal with that now ... somehow ..."

She commented tentatively, though she had no idea how she was supposed to act from that time onwards ...
 
Their order arrived and he picked it up,

"It is a reality that you have to face, but it is not the end of the world as you know it, just makes you have to take actions and reactions into accord much more than usual."

He led the way back outside, pausing to smell the air,

"Hrmph good thing we didn't stick with the dinner plans."

He opened the door and handed her the coffee and cake after she got in,

"So any idea as to what you want to do tonight?"
 
"It is a reality that you have to face, but it is not the end of the world as you know it, just makes you have to take actions and reactions into accord much more than usual."

As ever he was pragmatic. She bit back a sigh as they walked back outside.

"Hrmph good thing we didn't stick with the dinner plans."

She wasn't sure what he meant by that, but was happy to get into the car and take the coffee and cake from him after she had done so.

"So any idea as to what you want to do tonight?"

She shook her head.

"No. I guess we have a day to catch upon at the theatre tomorrow, so I could make myself scarce and study my script if you want the place to yourself."

She offered wondering if he wanted to spend some time with Elron as he had seen very little of him since he'd moved out.
 
He smiled and tapped on the car's roof,

"You can sit and study in the apartment, I have no plans for tonight."

He closed the door and got in, starting the car he sat off back to his place, certain that he had understood her correctly. It was quite a pity about the whole misunderstanding though, he had felt that there could develop more from their relationship, but for now it seemed quite the opposite.
 
"You can sit and study in the apartment, I have no plans for tonight."

He told her.

"I may just keep to my room anyhow. I guess old habits die hard. I always took myself off to my room at home ... "

She told him, not that she thought she'd be able to focus much, she was still reeling from the evening's events.

"Thanks for taking me round there and ... well ... everything ... "

She told him as they drove back to his place.

"It's been a weird day all round ... "

The short drive was soon completed and they headed indoors, he with his coffee and cake, she with just her coffee. She didn't feel hungry and didn't even really feel like her coffee.

"See you later, Glen."

She told him as she disappeared into her room. The coffee was put to the side, and left untouched. Her script was taken out, but soon discarded by the side of the bed as she lay upon the covers and stared up at the ceiling. Her mind whirled, but it was impossible to catch any one lucid thought as she gave a heavy sigh ...
 
"Sleep well Claire."

He watched her disappear into her room, then he set about heating up the left-overs, after that he sat down with a fresh cup of coffee and the cake. Writing on the pages that was on his desk. It was not too late when he finally decided to give up on writing any further on the play, he went to his room and soon he was asleep.

The next morning found him up early, dressed in his workout clothes as he went out for his early jog, the air was fresh, cool and had that lovely just-rained smell to it. He returned to his place and had a quick shower before he got dressed, this time he did not prepare a breakfast as it seemed like Claire was not an early breakfaster. He was sitting at the desk, when Claire's door opened, he turned to greet her.
 
She had studied her script, but somehow she had felt exhausted. Claire hadn't thought that she would sleep well, but in truth she had a dreamless sleep and was surprisingly refreshed the following day.

Glen was an early riser she knew and she definitely had an need for tea and toast. The day before had been so strange with the storm and that bombshell of a revelation that she was still trying to get her head round, but Claire was determined not to waste another day. Heading for her drawers, she hesitated then chose a short denim skirt and pulled on a strappy top. Feet put into sandals she grabbed a brush and ran it through her hair as she headed out of her room towards the kitchen.

"Hey,"

She greeted Glen as he turned towards her.

"I'm hungry. Do you mind if I fix myself something?"

She asked.

"We really should do something about sharing bills for food and utilities.
That is unless you've changed your mind about letting me stay around?"


She asked, half expecting that he might have.
 
Any thoughts and questions temporarily left his mind when Claire stepped out, she was dressed in a quite revealing outfit and it took him a few seconds to register her question as he stared at her.

"Uhm no there is no need."

He cleared his throat to get himself together,

"Sorry, first off Good morning, I hope you slept well, secondly I hardly notice that you're here, so there is really no need to share anything. But if you are going to become insistant, I am sure we can consider it."

His gaze drifted over her once more...darn
 
"Uhm no there is no need."

Claire had expected him to object, but she really felt that she should contribute in some way.

"Sorry, first off Good morning, I hope you slept well, "

Claire nodded giving him a smile as he continued.

" ... secondly I hardly notice that you're here, so there is really no need to share anything. But if you are going to become insistant, I am sure we can consider it."

She grinned at him and then turned to put on the kettle.

" ... I can't keep taking advantage of you Glen ... "

She commented glancing back at him.

" ... and how about you? Did you sleep?"

There seemed something 'different' in the way he was looking at her she realised.

"Are you having second thoughts about risking life and limb just to hold onto your 'Juliet'?"

She asked making sure that Glen had every opportunity to change his mind.
 
He chuckled, her words of taking advantage of him was one thing he would really have liked, especially in an outfit like that,

"Nah, if you wish to stay this can be your home until you wish to leave, I am sure that I want to hold on to my Juliet. Thank heavens I am not Romeo though, that would really have scared the heck out of me."

He turned to his papers and continued writing,

"I slept well though, I take it that you had a much more difficult task about it?"

It was useless, those legs...he dropped the pen and rubbed his hands over his face, this was going to be a very long day.
 
"Nah, if you wish to stay this can be your home until you wish to leave, I am sure that I want to hold on to my Juliet. Thank heavens I am not Romeo though, that would really have scared the heck out of me."

She laughed with him and took out some bread and put it in the toaster.

"I slept well though, I take it that you had a much more difficult task about it?"

She crossed the room as she answered.

"Surprisingly I slept really well."

She told him as she leaned down beside him and retrieved his pen.

"Are we due at the theatre today?"

She asked as she perched on the edge of his seat.

"Don't want the boss to think I'm slacking off, do I?"

She asked with a grin.
 
He couldn't help it, he had to look when she retrieved the pen and sat down next to him on the desktop. Glen was actually surprised at how easily he had lost his demeanor with her. He had known that she was quite a fascinating and pretty woman, but right now he had to force his mind away from where it was heading, he found that he could look her in the eyes, for now at least.

"Yes we are going in today, if I am not mistaken you are the boss' favorite employee, he might just forgive you if you slack off a bit."

He smiled,

"But I doubt that he will take too much slacking off, it might upset him slightly."
 
"Yes we are going in today, if I am not mistaken you are the boss' favorite employee, he might just forgive you if you slack off a bit."

Claire giggled at his words, somehow liking the idea of being his 'favorite'.

"But I doubt that he will take too much slacking off, it might upset him slightly."

The last thing she wanted was to disappoint Glen with her performance. She had been in awe of him not so long ago. She had come so far and now felt unbelievably comfortable with him.

"Hmmm ... I wouldn't want to upset the Boss,"

She teased gently.

"He has way too much power ..."

She tried to look serious.

"He could sack me, evict me ... "

She halted as if struggling for other possible consequences as she wondered if he would fill in other possibilities ...
 
He chuckled,

"Spank you?"

Unfortunately it was the only thing he could come up with at that moment, his mind still resting on her rather revealing outfit. He was actually kind of surprised with his own reaction, wasn't the party gown of her's also rather exposed? But it also was only low cut and had a naked back. He grinned at her suddenly,

"That means you will have to be a good girl and keep your producer happy right?"
 
"Spank you?"

Claire blushed hotly, Glen's words were just playful as usual, so why was it that she suddenly felt self-conscious and her pulses raced crazily?

"That means you will have to be a good girl and keep your producer happy right?"

She nodded, trying to regain her composure.

" ... so ... what kind of keeping happy does my producer have in mind?"

She dared to ask ...
 
There was so much that he could say to that, but instead he smiled enigmatically,

"She will know it when she see it."

He made wizardlike movements with his fingers, of course it was aimed to make her laugh. The blush did not escape him though and he decided he loved to see her blush, it made her eyes light up and glitter, it made her look happy. He was saved though by the ping of the toaster as it popped out the bread, he met her eyes then and smiled.

"Aah my magic at work, your preparations for food seemed to have hurried along."

He could help but look as she moved away, why had he never noticed her like this before???
 
"She will know it when she see it."

Claire laughed at his whacky wizardry dispelling the strangely intense atmosphere between them. She looked around as her toast popped up.

"Aah my magic at work, your preparations for food seemed to have hurried along."

She chuckled as she went over to fix her breakfast.

" ... mystical powers, Glen?"

She asked him sceptically.

"Seems you might need them around me ... "

She commented still amazed at how easily he had dismissed her 'situation' as being irrelevant to her living normally and pursuing the career she dreamed of.

"Although, for the record, I intend to be the model tenant and actress for my landlord/producer..."

She gave him a mock demure smile.
 
"Now that is a name I like: "The model tenant", I can do so much with that."

He got out of his chair and aimed an imaginary camera at her,

"Ah yes I have found the perfect model, smile darlin' smile, yes that is it. Feel it, the camera loves you ah yes the light is perfect, love the camera darlin', be natural, be relaxed, be sensual..."

He paused and gave her a smile,

"I can assure you, immerse in your characters like you do with Juliet, understand them and in a few years I believe that you will be a superstar."

He leaned against the desk, half-seated on the top,

"In fact, if you stick with me, I'm sure I can give you a running leap into any direction you wish."
 
"Now that is a name I like: "The model tenant", I can do so much with that."

She laughed as he began miming taking photographs of her.

"Ah yes I have found the perfect model, smile darlin' smile, yes that is it."|

Playfully she posed, laughing and responding to his directions;

"Feel it, the camera loves you ah yes the light is perfect, love the camera darlin', be natural, be relaxed, be sensual..."

She pouted and did her best sexy look before she finally succumbed to laughter.

"I can assure you, immerse in your characters like you do with Juliet, understand them and in a few years I believe that you will be a superstar."

She was still smiling, but she listened to him, flattered by his words. Glen was not one to offer idle flattery she knew.

"In fact, if you stick with me, I'm sure I can give you a running leap into any direction you wish."

She nodded acknowledging his offer of help.

"I fully intend to stick with you, for as long as you'll have me Glen."

She told him seriously.

"You're giving me my first chance and teaching me so much.
Besides, I have this 'special relationship' with my Producer.
I don't imagine it's usual to move in with the person directing you,"


She threw him a suggestive grin.

"Though I guess that is one way of 'getting on' in the business..."
 
Back
Top