A Poet Walks Into a Bar . . .

HAPPY HOUR (maybe only 50 min.) 6 to 7 central time zone *Harry turns on sign early and clocks in
He goes to the bar and pours a Delord then chews on a plastic straw. Eyes drift far beyond the mortal plane; a smile hints at lips.

Brand of Irish Coffee? :rolleyes: Oh, you mean Whiskey. Nope. It's all gasoline to me. The point is just to warm up and amp up the coffee and sugar.

Harry considers then drops double shot of CC in mug, lays out sugar, half and half, and artifical sweetners... Consider yourself amped *salutes with glass n drinks

Desejo, having had plenty of Irish Coffee in her life, realizes the bartender is an impostor. Of course, many bartenders are.

Hey, I just pour what I've got. let me know...educate me in your taste and I will do better...the customer is always right... but..Ahh, I was going to quit this job anyway

Ingredients
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 jigger Irish whiskey (1 1/2 ounces or 3 tablespoons)
Heavy cream, slightly whipped

Directions

Fill footed mug or a mug with hot water to preheat it, then empty. Pour piping hot coffee into warmed glass until it is about 3/4 full. Add the brown sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Blend in Irish whiskey. Top with a collar of the whipped heavy cream by pouring gently over back of spoon. Serve hot.

hot coffee, sugar syrup, whiskey, fresh whipped cream. :) Ignore me, I can be a snob.

Perfect. Thank you. do you really write on yellow legal pads? (seriously...but I may not be able to answer this as I gotta go in a few secs -b ut do reply!)

Yes ma'am I surely do... yellow is so soothing ...can scratch n edit and still see what came before and what may still come. mine holds 10 stanza for the October piece but it has to be the strangest ballad I have ever seen .... is that 4 beat 3 beat thine written in stone??
refill? ...Harry looks up to see Desejo walk out the door...extinguishes happy hour sign and puts 'Grosse Pointe Blank' in the player and laughs for the rest of the evening

Last edited:
Ingredients
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 jigger Irish whiskey (1 1/2 ounces or 3 tablespoons)
Heavy cream, slightly whipped

Directions

Fill footed mug or a mug with hot water to preheat it, then empty. Pour piping hot coffee into warmed glass until it is about 3/4 full. Add the brown sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Blend in Irish whiskey. Top with a collar of the whipped heavy cream by pouring gently over back of spoon. Serve hot.

Yum! Perfect way to celebrate a long weekend! :)

in my head, as i write, i'm often seeing two or three levels/layers of ambiguity; that's not to say the reader will see those as it will depend on what they bring to the table, and there's no reason to expect a reader to have to work so hard to 'get there' as most simply won't. to be able to read and consider at leisure, as from a poetry book whilst sat comfy in an armchair or bed, is a different kettle of fish to sitting at the 'puter to digest and extract all the yumminess from a write.

of course, if they do take the time, and can see what you are seeing, then it's a wonderful shared moment.
here is the trick, depending on the type of ambiguity (empson lists 7), the mind can only hold one thing at a time, but often (if it can) will synthesize the two, adding a level of complexity to a character, or a directional change to a setting.
Senna Jawa exploits this to the maximum with the word "change"-see level three thread

Twelve (now we are on first name basis since we are drinking together), THAT was the best thing you've ever written. THIS is no insult. I really mean it. That was brilliant.
slight semantics issue here, how can it be the best I've ever written
, when as far as I know you have not seen anything but what I've written on the threads
No, I've written far better.
But, no insult taken. I am a close reader, it helps in various situations, including reading and writing poetry.

here is the trick, depending on the type of ambiguity (empson lists 7), the mind can only hold one thing at a time, but often (if it can) will synthesize the two, adding a level of complexity to a character, or a directional change to a setting.
Senna Jawa exploits this to the maximum with the word "change"-see level three thread
Your posts make me crazy...2 hour 'bing' crawl before I followed all the roots from Mr. Empson and found Senna Jawa is a poet on literotica...Always more questions than answers aroun here

Your posts make me crazy...2 hour 'bing' crawl before I followed all the roots from Mr. Empson and found Senna Jawa is a poet on literotica...Always more questions than answers aroun here

Senna Jawa is a gifted poet (and really opinionated). If you're inclined to read another great poet here (who is, sadly, no longer with us) check out smithpeter.

Senna Jawa is a gifted poet (and really opinionated). If you're inclined to read another great poet here (who is, sadly, no longer with us) check out smithpeter.
Thanks ... found Senna Jawa and read 'good night' more questions and confusion but really engaged... will look at your suggestion...Get you a drink? :)

P.S. made it to A, discovered there is a long path in front of me conteplation and libation first relation

Last edited:
Thanks ... found Senna Jawa and read 'good night' more questions and confusion but really engaged... will look at your suggestion...Get you a drink? :)

P.S. made it to A, discovered there is a long path in front of me conteplation and libation first relation

Just club soda and cranberry juice for me, thanks. :)

smithpeter has a ton of poems, I know. I should have been more specific. Let me link a few of my favorites.

Dogwood

Brown

Foreward

Mona Spice

Radon Daughters

Squirrels Playing Saxophones

The Longness of Liz

and my personal favorite:

Spending Time Near Her Face

I could go on: he also wrote poems under a number of alts here. He was one talented guy. He died suddenly in May of 2004, but Laurel has kept his poems here and I'm so glad we can still visit them.

Have a lovely night, Harry. :rose:

Harry, forgive me for getting on the soupbox,
it is always the questions
the answers are only good if they begin more questions

besides 2 hours crawling around looking for Empson, you probably learned something, i don't recommend the book, it is a chore, has to be read at least twice, and if you are like me, you'll never do it.

but Senna Jawa, you can learn a lot from, i did, i learned a lot from a lot of people here, but nobody has the answers, just jumping off points for more questions.

let me put to you another way, if you took all the collected talent from literotica and lumped it all together, you maybe would have the talent 4 or 5 of the greats, Frost, Eliot, whatever...now if you took 5 of the all time greatest poets and lumped them together...you wind up with Christopher Walken reading Goodnite Moon (still sends shivers down my spine), I have a T-shirt hanging in my hallway of the Walken Dead for inspiration.

Christopher Walken is the answer

any questions?

i thought so...

you're learning

HAPPY HOUR (maybe only 50 min.) 6 to 7 central time zone
*Harry turns on sign and clocks in
pours a coffee AND a Delord...(frowns at the near empty bottle) settles in to read older posts

Last edited:
Back