Natural Law

EmpressJosephine

Mistress of Role-Plays
Joined
Aug 9, 2014
Posts
14,652
attachment.php


Appearances:

kc_sweetNsour as Mya Chow.

EmpressJosephine as Josephine Marietta.​




(This is a CLOSED thread. Only those people listed above should post in it. Thank you.)


 

Attachments

  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Under Oath




Josephine Marietta broke into tears as soon as Mya’s office door closed behind her.

“Bryan is such an asshole!” she said of her estranged husband as she dropped into the plush chair facing Mya’s huge desk.

attachment.php


“I should have known he’d have a prick for a lawyer.” Josephine rarely swore, but Bryan still seemed to bring out the worst in her.

She had filed for divorce early in the eleventh year of their marriage. The deposition she had just endured felt as grueling as those ten years put together. Bryan’s attorney had treated her like some gold-digging tramp. She only wanted what she deserved. She had worked hard to help pay for his Masters degree, then not pursued the MBA she always wanted because Bryan expected a traditional household.

Maybe if she had given him a child.... She put that thought out of her mind. Given how their marriage had imploded, her and Bryan’s lack of progeny now proved a blessing.

Josephine wiped her eyes and forced herself to look across the desk to where Mya now sat.

attachment.php

“The deposition...” Josephine’s voice cracked. “How badly did I do?”

 

Attachments

  • Post001a.jpg
    Post001a.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Post001b.jpg
    Post001b.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4
Jeez....




Josephine Marietta broke into tears as soon as Mya’s office door closed behind her.

“Bryan is such an asshole!” she said of her estranged husband as she dropped into the plush chair facing Mya’s huge desk.

attachment.php


“I should have known he’d have a prick for a lawyer.” Josephine rarely swore, but Bryan still seemed to bring out the worst in her.

She had filed for divorce early in the eleventh year of their marriage. The deposition she had just endured felt as grueling as those ten years put together. Bryan’s attorney had treated her like some gold-digging tramp. She only wanted what she deserved. She had worked hard to help pay for his Masters degree, then not pursued the MBA she always wanted because Bryan expected a traditional household.

Maybe if she had given him a child.... She put that thought out of her mind. Given how their marriage had imploded, her and Bryan’s lack of progeny now proved a blessing.

Josephine wiped her eyes and forced herself to look across the desk to where Mya now sat.

attachment.php

“The deposition...” Josephine’s voice cracked. “How badly did I do?”



This poor dame is certainly getting screwed. Where in hell is justice, anyways?

This is part of a much longer story, or RP, right, Mistress? I am gonna try to see what you have written. Happy MLK day...

Dave
 
This was the worst part of Mya's job. Facing the people she worked with. She knew she couldn't feel too much compassion, but it was just twisting her gut. Josephine wasn't too much different in age as she was. Mya though this could easily be her, if she had bothered to settle down.

Mya took a deep breath. She knew her opposing lawyer was ruthless and a jerk. However he had only one trick in his bag, and was using it.

"You did just fine, Miss Marietta. Unfortunately these things will happen. Just remember we will get our turn with your husband, in a few days."

Mya slid a box of kleenexes over to her client. Why was she feeling pity? This isn't normal. Maybe it was because Josephine wasn't hardened and bitter. She was a victim of an asshole.

"Now, Miss Marietta, we have to discuss your situation more in-depth before the deposition. We need to show the angst he's putting you through. Are you feeling up to it, or should we wait?"

Mya was feeling aggressive about getting her soon to be ex, and making him suffer. It wasnt just about money. It was about taking a bright, ambitious woman's dream and pissing on it! If a woman wants to be stay at home, great! More power to her. But to not give her an option? This wasnt the 50's.

"Miss Marietta, are you going to be okay? What are your living arrangements? Are you safe and supported where you are?"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The lite goes on....

This was the worst part of Mya's job. Facing the people she worked with. She knew she couldn't feel too much compassion, but it was just twisting her gut. Josephine wasn't too much different in age as she was. Mya though this could easily be her, if she had bothered to settle down.

Mya took a deep breath. She knew her opposing lawyer was ruthless and a jerk. However he had only one trick in his bag, and was using it.

"You did just fine, Miss Marietta. Unfortunately these things will happen. Just remember we will get our turn with your husband, in a few days."

Mya slid a box of kleenexes over to her client. Why was she feeling pity? This isn't normal. Mayne it was because Josephine wasn't hardened and bitter. She was a victim of an asshole.

"Now, Miss Marietta, we have to discuss your situation more in-depth before the deposition. We need to show the angst he's putting you through. Are you feeling up to it, or should we wait?"

Mya was feeling aggressive about getting her soon to be ex, and making him suffer. It wasnt just about money. It was about taking a bright, ambitious woman's dream and pissing on it! If a woman wants to be stay at home, great! More power to her. But to not give her an option? This wasnt the 50's.

"Miss Marietta, are you going to be okay? What are your living arrangements? Are you sage and supported where you are?"

Thanks, KC; I am catching on a bit to how this RP story works. Lemme to over to the X's and shovel off the new snow and beg for hot choco, and add my two bits to this tale. I think I see justice coming, if not vengeance to this asshole.... after all, I have two daughters I watch.
 
This poor dame is certainly getting screwed. Where in hell is justice, anyways?

This is part of a much longer story, or RP, right, Mistress? I am gonna try to see what you have written. Happy MLK day...

Dave

Hey, Dave.

I'm sorry. I screwed up and did not mark this thread as "CLOSED" for kc_sweetNsour and me. I really appreciate your comments, but please send them to us in PMs, okay?




Thanks, KC; I am catching on a bit to how this RP story works. Lemme to over to the X's and shovel off the new snow and beg for hot choco, and add my two bits to this tale. I think I see justice coming, if not vengeance to this asshole.... after all, I have two daughters I watch.

Hey, Dave.

Does this mean you think you might have a role to play in this story? If so, send a proposed character to kc_sweetNsour and me, and we'll let you know if and when that character might fit in.

Thanks!

 
a part in the play....

Hey, Dave.

I'm sorry. I screwed up and did not mark this thread as "CLOSED" for kc_sweetNsour and me. I really appreciate your comments, but please send them to us in PMs, okay?






Hey, Dave.

Does this mean you think you might have a role to play in this story? If so, send a proposed character to kc_sweetNsour and me, and we'll let you know if and when that character might fit in.

Thanks!


Yes, Jo, lemme go back to the beginning of it, if I can find it, and see if I wouldnt love to be an asshole here...
 
Size Matters



“Miss Marietta, are you going to be okay?” Mya asked. “What are your living arrangements? Are you safe and supported where you are?”

“Safe?” Josephine echoed. “I don’t think Bryan would ever hurt me physically, if that’s what you mean. It’s just so odd, being alone at night in that big house, even with the security system on. Every little noise wakes me up....”

She began to ruminate about her marriage, as she did too often these days. “I never wanted such a big house... too much trouble to maintain... but Bryan thought it important to display his success....”

 
“I never wanted such a big house... too much trouble to maintain... but Bryan thought it important to display his success...."

"Miss Marietta, unfortunately I know the type all to well. The Napoleon complex is quite common. Little man who feels he needs to be big and important. Big house, big degree, and the doting trophy wife to show off to his friends."

"Would it put your mind more at ease of we asked a judge for a protective order? I don't want to escalate anything, but you need to sleep nights."

Mya knew that Bryan's attorney also had a Napolean complex. He made wives out to be gold diggers of successful husbands. She didn't want to stir up an issue, if it wasn't needed. She knew that the more publicity that Alan Jenkins, "Attorney at Law" got, the bigger his ego would get. This divorce was already going to be high profile enough in this smaller, wanna be metropolitan city. Why add fuel to it? As much as Mya wanted to win a high profile battle, she wasn't an egomaniac that needed the attention.

"Miss Marietta, I will do whatever it takes to see that you get what you deserve. One thing to think about, that would help our case, is to not go after the home. By pushing for a sale where the proceeds are split 50/50, or even saying he can have it for other concessions, will help you not look like a 'gold digger'. Just something to consider, being you don't seem to have an attachment to it."

"Now, most importantly, do you have family or friends that can look after you? People who can check on your welfare from time to time?"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All Alone



“Do you have family or friends that can look after you?” Mya asked. “People who can check on your welfare from time to time?”

“Well... my family’s all back in Wisconsin,” Josephine replied. She seemed embarrassed by the rest. “Socially... Um... We’ve mostly just entertained Bryan’s clients. Any friends we have are through his engineering firm or at the country club. You know... I met them through Bryan. I think they’d be more loyal to him than to me.”

 
You know... I met them through Bryan. I think they’d be more loyal to him than to me.”

Mya could already see where this was going. Bryan was one of those dominating, egotistical men with small man syndrome. He wasn't born with the money and social status that he desired, and he was jealous. He was able to secure the job and pay to move himself up the social ladder, and he wasn't gonna go back again. Josephine had worked her ass off to help him attain his dream, and now was being denied hers. She was not only being dominated in her home, but also in public.

“Well... my family’s all back in Wisconsin,”

Of course it had to be Wisconsin. It explained a lot. Josephine was that curvy girl, probably of Scandinavian or Germanic descent. Mya didn't know what it was about those girls from the upper Midwest. They were curvier and just had a sex appeal about them that the boys around here drooled over. Sometimes other girls drooled too. ("No! Mya, don't do this.") Josephine seemed the type. Probably fresh from the dairy farm. She probably had a brain and aspirations that took her beyond a rural upbringing. So she probaby was attracted to this area for the private college here. It was a good school, and she was probably a student on a scholarship. She met that smooth-talking, good looking city boy and fell in love. She was probably drawn in by his motivation and determination to make It. It probably matched her own. She was taken in by his romantic gestures. Gestures that may be easily seen right through in the city, but were almost a fairy tale for this farm girl.

To be fair, Bryan probably was trying to do well by her, in the beginning. He was probably just as proud to be with her. More than likely he and his friends all saw her as a sexual conquest or a fantasy, and he was the one that got her. That probably was the first thing that fed his ego. His friends probably were better off than he was, but suddenly he had something they didn't. Suddenly, THEY were the ones to be envious of HIM.

The scenario was all too familiar. She probably gave him her virginity. She probably felt like he really was the one, and that he cared for her. Make no mistake, he cared about her. He just didn't care about her for the same reasons. Mya despised men like Bryan.

It's probably why, at her age, she was still single. She had battled so long to achieve her dream, that she didn't have time for a relationship. She barely had time for friends. Relationships of any kind were a distraction. They were a road block on her journey to success. To Mya, the people in her life were primarily around to fill a need. A need that sometimes just couldn't be met with batteries. 😉 That's probably why Mya was bisexual. It wasn't that she was truly attracted to either sex. It was more like a matter of convenience. If she needed her itches scratched, she had to be able to use what was available. Mya had her fair share of experience with those Midwest farm girls. Those girls who were seeking that little form of rebellion, or to satisfy a curiosity. Girls a lot like Josephine.

("Dammit, Mya! Stop it! What's it been? 3 months? No! Mya, she's a client. Empathy is dangerous enough, don't feel an attraction!")

"So, Miss Marietta... Can I call you Josephine?... Jo?... We're gonna be getting to know each other quite well these next few weeks and months, we don't have to be so formal. Makes it easier to work together."

Mya smiled at Josephine. "So you have this new found freedom and you don't know what to do with it, huh? What makes you tick? What is it you enjoy doing? I'm sorry if I'm being too personal. I find I can do a better job for my clients, if I get to know them as a person. If I treat you as a case file, you'll just be a section of paperwork. I don't like my clients to be faceless manilla folders."

"So what makes you, you? You have a great opportunity to rediscover yourself again. You are definitely going to want to do that before you start playing the dating game again."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Options



“You have a great opportunity to rediscover yourself again,” Mya suggested. It occurred to Josephine that Mya must regularly deal with women in similar circumstances to her own, and so understand their feelings better than most. Maybe that’s why they call lawyers Attorneys and Counselors. “You are definitely going to want to do that before you start playing the dating game again.”

“Please, do call me ‘Jo.’ That’s what my friends always called me.” Josephine blushed suddenly, mortified by her own inadvertent presumption. She quickly turned the conversation back to Mya’s suggestion about rediscovering herself. “Anyway... as I said in the deposition, I earned a BBA in Marketing the same year Bryan got his BS in Civil Engineering. I had originally planned to go right on for an MBA, but instead married Bryan that summer and worked so he could get his Masters. I’d still like to get my Masters. Do you think we could make Bryan pay for that?”

The idea of being free to pursue her own dreams suddenly overwhelmed Josephine. Before Mya could answer, she rushed on. “And my photography! I want to do that again! Did you know I was once published? It was a cover for just a regional magazine, but I was so proud of my photography... and my painting! My God, there’s so much I gave up for him! I don’t want to do that again. So you’re right about dating. I’ve had enough of men for a while.”

 
"I’ve had enough of men for a while.”

Mya thought to herself: "I'm sure she means that shes not ready to date and wants to enjoy her single life. But, maybe she means.... NO! Mya! Stop it!"

"Well.....Jo..." A slight smile crossed Mya's face. "It sounds like you really have a drive to get back into what makes you enjoy life."

"I am not sure about paying for the masters degree. We can certainly try. Remember how I said that you could give him the house in exchange for something? Maybe we could finagle tuition, or a percentage. That could also get you a down payment on another home. But, as I look at your home's value, you might accomplish that by just selling and splitting the proceeds. But, we can look at that later. We'll get to the negotiating at another time."

Mya made a few notes, and then closed the folder. She called her paralegal in to take the file, and dismissed her for the evening. "That's enough for today. I've got the facts I need. No need to keep billing you. So,....Jo.... Tell me about your photography and painting. What magazine were you published in? Anything I'd know? What got you doing all that? I've never had the patience for being creative. Might be a good way to vent stress. But, I guess we all have our ways."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Artistic Angst



“I was into drawing, then painting, since grade school,” Josephine explained. “The photography just followed from that. It was offered as an Art elective at my high school. The one thing I’ve had published was a picture of my twin nieces hugging in a baby buggy. It wasn’t even that good, in my opinion, but it still became the cover for an issue of a regional magazine called MetroParent. I’m not even sure it’s still published. I also picked up some money in college doing events... you know, like weddings and reunions, but that wasn’t fun. It was stressful.”

She glanced at the clock on the bookshelves behind Mya’s desk. The deposition had lasted longer than predicted. Out past the huge office window, dusk had arrived.

“Oh, I didn’t realize how late it had gotten,” Josephine sighed. “I must be keeping you from dinner.”

She stood slowly. After the ordeal of testifying, anticipation of yet another meal in the lonely solitude of her empty home did not incite much haste.

 
“Oh, I didn’t realize how late it had gotten,” Josephine sighed. “I must be keeping you from dinner.”

Mya looked at the clock. 5:23. "Not at all, Jo. I'm usually here, working late. Dinner for me usually consists of take-out or delivery at home around 10:30 pm. I don't allow myself much of a life. My work Is my life, until I have a reason to change my ways."

Mya realized that she really had a sad existence. She was successful but lonely. And for some reason, she still felt drawn to Jo. Wanting to learn more about her client.

"Of course, being neither of us have any great prospects for dinner, we could have a dinner meeting. I do that with clients when I still have more things to discuss with them. Honestly, I'd like to get to know you better. That way I can find a way to best serve your needs. Is that something that you'd be ok with?"

Mya had scheduled these kinds of meetings many times, but the anxiety of waiting for Jo's response was not something she was used to.
 
Date Night



Mya suggested they dine together.

“Sure!” Josephine replied with an enthusiasm she herself immediately recognized as odd for a business meeting. Her persistent loneliness had started long before her separation from Bryan. She tried to temper her response. “Of course, since we’re discussing business, I assume you’ll add the expense to my bill. Still, please pick someplace nice that you really like.”

Josephine cocked her head slightly, then shook it slowly. “So long as it’s not a steakhouse. When we went out for dinner, Bryan only ever took us to steakhouses.”

 
"I assume you’ll add the expense to my bill.”

Mya realized that she couldn't, in good conscience, bill her for dinner. She was just looking for someone to talk to, as much as the chance to get to know Jo.

"Oh good heavens, no. I'm not billing you for this. It's my treat. You've been through enough today. Like I said, I want to get to know who you are. That way I can do my best job."

"Okay, no steak houses. See, I'm learning already. How about this; since you're already dressed up, let's take you somewhere nice. Somewhere that ISN'T a steakhouse. Have you ever been to Rosetti's?"

Mya realized that she had just invited Jo to the most fancy, expensive, and romantic spot in town. That aside, it was well known for it's Italian and seafood dishes.

When Jo shook her head no, that settled it. "Then Rosetti's it is. You deserve to go to a place like that. Let me grab my purse."

As they walked down the hall to the door, there wasn't a lot said. Mya hoped Jo wasn't uncomfortable. As they reached the parking lot, there were only two cars left. Jo's sensible, energy efficient Prius, and Mya's car. A 2016 Corvette, custom painted Hot Pink with chrome detailing and black leather interior. It was the epitome of opulence, but she had worked hard for it.

Mya grabbed her key fob from her purse. "Did you want to follow me? Otherwise I'd be happy to drive." *Chirp Chirp* rang out as the lights flashed and the doors unlocked. "It's up to you." Mya pushed another button and the car roared to life. Mya loved her car. There were times she was such a tomboy. Corvettes, scotch, cigars. But she liked what she liked, and wasnt afraid to get it.
 
Along for the Ride



“Did you want to follow me?” Mya asked as she brought her cute pink Corvette to life with the fob on her key chain. “Otherwise I’d be happy to drive.”

Josephine looked at the BMW X5 Bryan had bought her last year, insisting that he would not feel comfortable having her drive anything smaller. Although it practically drove, and even parked, itself, she did not like such a big car. Her gaze again settled on Mya’s sporty coupe.

“Let’s take yours,” Josephine said. “It looks like fun.”

Josephine suddenly realized she deserved a little fun.

 
Candle Light


“Let’s take yours,” Josephine said. “It looks like fun.”

Mya saw the twinkle in Jo's eyes. She loved seeing that look.

"Hop in. Let's go."

Mya hit the gas and the Corvette roared into traffic. She deftly moved that car through traffic. Mya made a phone call through her car system. She called the restaurant and was told there were no tables. After talking to the manager, who she knew by name. After a few minutes of talking, Mya secured them a table. They pulled into the parking lot, entered the restaurant, and were seated in a secluded table.

"Jo, this is my treat. Order anything you like." Mya ordered some lemonade, and Jo ordered wine. "I am driving later, so I better not get carried away." When the waiter returned, they ordered.

Once it quieted down, Mya looked at Jo. She couldn't believe how beautiful Jo was. She hadn't noticed it under the fluorescent bulbs of her office, but under candlelight she looked more elegant. A classic beauty that almost hearkened to the days of a Greek goddess. Mya realized that she had better speak up, or get caught daydreaming.

"So, you like photography and painting. You got your nieces on a magazine cover, and you hate wedding photography. But there has to be something you love about photography, or else why would you want to get back into it? What is your drive? I have often wondered what makes a good photographer. I mean any idiot can take a picture, but where do you find the eye for the craft? I mean I have snapped my fair share of pictures: Birthday's, Parties, Vacations, *throat clears* other stuff."

*thinks* "Shit, I shouldn't have said that."

"So, what makes you enjoy it so much?"
 
Other Stuff



“I have snapped my fair share of pictures: birthdays, parties, vacations...” Mya paused and cleared her throat, then finished oddly. “Other stuff....”

Josephine raised an eyebrow, then she remembered Mya’s profession and specialty. Of course a divorce attorney would have reason to obtain scandalous photographs like husbands cheating on their wives or feigning disabilities to avoid paying support. She thought Mya would use an investigator for that, though. Before she could ask about this, Mya spoke again of photography generally. “So, what makes you enjoy it so much?”

“What I like about it partly answers your questions about how it’s done well,” Josephine explained. “As you said, anyone can take a picture. Good photography requires, first and foremost, an understanding for, and execution of, framing and composition. That’s why I like, for instance, architectural photography. Its shadows and details allow endless opportunities for creativity. What I really like, though, are portraits and human action shots. There, along with all the other aspects of composition, you have all the variety of human emotions and expression. A good photograph can capture its subject’s soul. After that, the details of good photography are rather technical and boring....”

Josephine paused to sip her wine. Still thinking Mya had meant taking pictures to advance legal disputes, she innocently returned the conversation to the attorney’s earlier comment. “I know you can’t share names, but was there ever anything really juicy in the ‘other stuff’ you’ve photographed?”

 

“I know you can’t share names, but was there ever anything really juicy in the ‘other stuff’ you’ve photographed?”

Mya stammered. This stuff never really came up. Thankfully, it never was found during the hiring process at her firm, either.

"Well, honestly, none of the 'other things' I photographed, had anything to do with work. I have a long list of slimeballs who do that work for me. Which reminds me, I need to get one on your husband. Better make a note of that." Mya chuckled. "I was a lot less prim and proper in my undergrad days. Well, I should say I do more to hide it these days. When I was an undergrad at the University of Kansas, a couple girl friends and I caught wind that playboy was looking for a couple girls for their 'Sexy co-eds of the Big 12' issue. So we sent in some photos. I had the better camera, so I took the pictures." Mya checked Jo's face for reaction before she continued.

"Long story short, I actually got picked for the issue to be one of three representatives of KU. They told me there was a shortage of sexy Asian girls in the Big 12. So they settled on this half-blood Asian girl. So if you have seen page 67 of the August 2005 Issue of playboy, then you've seen more of me than most. Of course that was a long time ago. It didnt affect my law school applications or job search. I'm sure my grades and academic record overshadowed my indiscretions. But, I've gotten better at controlling my wild side."

The meal arrived, and they began to eat.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Naked Thoughts



Josephine did not know how to respond to Mya’s confession that she had once appeared in an issue of Playboy. She surely could not express her first thought: that she would probably have fun doing a nude shoot of her lawyer. Josephine had only done one of those before. Her Sophomore year dormitory roommate — a beautiful, buxom, blonde — had convinced her to do a series of nudes to give her boyfriend. Josephine had enjoyed the unique challenges of finding the best angles and shadowing for her curvaceous body. She’d find it equally interesting to shoot this lithe Asian woman.

Instead, Josephine sipped her wine and changed the subject. “What made you want to be a lawyer?”



 
Regret and a second chance.

The pause seemed like an eternity. Mya wasn't sure how Jo was processing this confession. The scariest thing that went through Mya's mind was that maybe Jo was rethinking her choice of lawyer. For the first time Mya opened up to someone, and was driving them away.


“What made you want to be a lawyer?”


Mya realized that if she was going to have a shot at salvaging thus professional relationship, after such a damning confession, this was it. She took a deep breath. Mya had won court battles in closing statements, she could do it again.

"My inspiration came from my best friend. Her parents got divorced when she was 7. The judge awarded majority custody to her mother, even though it was the worst thing for my friend. Why? Because in Kansas and Missouri, 98% of custodies go to the mother. There is no evaluation involved. They just assume that the father was evil. What's worse is the judge was a woman and fire breathing feminist. I can guarantee that she gave my friend to her mother simply because she would be damned if she would award it to a man. For years my friend endured abuse from her mom's eventual second husband. I watched her suffer. She spent many sleepovers at my house."

"When she reached 14, she was of the age to petition The court to allow her to go to her dad. So she gets in front of the same judge. She asks to go to her father. But she was too scared to explain why. That monster of a step-father had intimidated her into silence. The judge said she saw no reason to reverse her decision. I was there with my mother to support my friend. I screamed that she was beaten and touched inappropriately, and that her step father was a monster. I was sharply rebuked by the judge that my outburst wouldn't be tolerated. That I wasn't a lawyer and I needed to sit down and shut up."

"My friend ran away that very night. They didn't find her for 6 weeks. She petitioned the court again. This time she had her guts. And again that same judge gave her to her mother, after she was forced to be remanded for psychological treatment at the state school. She was there for 16 months! At THAT hearing she pleaded not go to her mother. She even asked that I be allowed to speak on her behalf. I took the stand. As the counselor asked me to state what I'd seen, the judge stopped me and ruled that my testimony was inadmissible because I was a hostile witness. And that was that. My friend endured the abuse until she was 17, of the age in the state that she didnt need the court's permissuon to go to her father."

"And I.... Well I became a lawyer. For the sole reason of not letting that type of thing happen again. My ultimate goal was to see that I could get that judge removed from her bench. She retired before I got that chance. I attended the reception they had for her. I introduced myself. She said that she didn't believe she had had the pleasure. I told her she did. When I reminded her who I was and the hell she subjected my friend to, I informed her that I became a lawyer because of her. Not because I only wanted to see justice served, but because I wanted to get her removed and disbarred. I told her had she not retired, I would have succeeded. Then I turned on my heels and left."

"Sorry. Long story. I get long winded."

Mya had rested her case with Jo, so to speak. She hoped she hadn't scared off a client, and hopefully, some day, a friend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Praiseworthy



“Sorry,” Mya finished her extended monologue regarding her inspiration to practice law. “Long story... I get long winded.”

“That’s an occupational hazard, I’d guess,” Josephine chuckled. “Don’t worry, the story was well worth it. It’s very beautiful. I’m impressed.”

She took another sip of her wine. “That’s why I want to go back to school when this is all over. I’m thirty-two years old and have yet to do anything worthwhile with my life.”



 
Mya sensed the hoplessness that Josephine was determined to break through. She also knew that Jo's life wasn't as bad as she perceived.

"Jo, you can't always measure your success by the goals you have yet to achieve. We humans are our own worst critic. You have to measure success by the impact you've had on those around you. There are people who have been brought joy by your art. People whom you've comforted when they've been down. And there will soon be new women who will realize that status and money mean nothing if you aren't treated with respect. Jo, you may not realize it, but you're worthy of respect. You're worthy of admiration. To strive to do better with your life is noble. But don't sell short the life you've already lived."
 
Back
Top