A New Wrinkle in Copyright Violation

CarlusMagnus

Literotica Guru
I'm not sure what the legalities of this are, but something new has appeared:

http://www.literoticatokindle.com

The site does exactly what its name suggests. You type in the URL for the Literotica story you want on your Kindle (or the Kindle App on your other device), and it will convert that story for you and send it, via Amazon, to your device.

The site does exactly two things.

1. Converts a Lit. text file to a format that can be transmitted to a kindle.

2. Displays the text right there on the site. (doesn't do a very good job of that, it doesn't seem to catch the ending html tags.

I don't thing they had piracy in mind. They(whoever they are) probably wanted to down load stories to their Kindle.

I did one of my stories and everything was centered on the web page. Very unreadable. I'm wondering if it gets transmitted to a Kindle if it displays that way also.

Actually, I'm not very pissed about the copyright violation. (If, indeed, there is one.) As has been discussed frequently here, copyrights on stuff posted on Lit are pretty meaningless. But I thought people should know, and I did send a PM to Laurel about it.

I'm in the middle of writing a "How To" telling folks what they need to do to convert Literotica stories into e-books themselves. This site doesn't quite cut both balls off of that piece, but it does get one of them. I'm more pissed about that than about anything else.

I'll probably go ahead and finish it anyway, for a couple of reasons. Sites like literoticatokindle.com don't make any $$$, so they don't usually last for long. And, as far as I know, there are no sites that do conversion into other e-book formats. Of course, that could change...

Last edited:
Knowing that our stories get copied and pasted around the web, in my last series I put something like this in the introduction " This story is licensed solely by the author to Literotica.com for publication." My thinking is; maybe it will at least drive those reading on other sites to come over here instead??? My feeble attempt at doing something to impact the theft :confused:

Actually, I'm not very pissed about the copyright violation. (If, indeed, there is one.) As has been discussed frequently here, copyrights on stuff posted on Lit are pretty meaningless. But I thought people should know, and I did send a PM to Laurel about it.

I'm in the middle of writing a "How To" telling folks what they need to do to convert Literotica stories into e-books themselves. This site doesn't quite cut both balls off of that piece, but it does get one of them. I'm more pissed about that than about anything else.

I'll probably go ahead and finish it anyway, for a couple of reasons. Sites like literoticatokindle.com don't make any $$$, so they don't usually last for long. And, as far as I know, there are no sites that do conversion into other e-book formats. Of course, that could change...

Actually, if the text displayed on the site is any indication, that site doesn't do a good job of conversion.

As of violation of copyright...they don't remove your name as the author, they are just taking the text from Lit. and "convert" it to another "format", which you could do if you wanted to via cut and paste, so I don't see a problem.

I haven't looked at the details about how this works, but it looks like a copyright violation. It's a copying of the author's story without the author's permission. It doesn't look like a fair use. So it's probably infringement. It's irrelevant whether they properly attribute the story to the correct author or not. That's relevant to plagiarism, but not to copyright infringement.

I think use of the "Literotica" trademark, which is registered, might be a trademark violation, too.

Isn't there an unwritten rule that posters aren't allowed to post copyright threads when Pilot is on vacation? ;)

Isn't there an unwritten rule that posters aren't allowed to post copyright threads when Pilot is on vacation? ;)

He dialled in a coupla days ago from Spokane or somewhere, maybe jumped off the train to send a telegraph?

Seems like a complete copy of LIterotica which also combines all chapters of a story into a single document. They include the author and link back to Literotica. It's somewhat disturbing.

-MM

He dialled in a coupla days ago from Spokane or somewhere, maybe jumped off the train to send a telegraph?

He fell flat on his face on an uneven sideway in Spokane Washington the day before getting on a cruise on the Snake River (on the way to the Colombia River), spent the evening in the ER, early next morning at a dentist's working with a lot of baling wire to hold his teeth together temporarily, and made the cruise (which I recommend--the American Queen). And no he isn't interested in this copyright question thread.

Last edited:
Seems like a complete copy of LIterotica which also combines all chapters of a story into a single document. They include the author and link back to Literotica. It's somewhat disturbing.

-MM

It actually does the combining on the fly. I doubt he/they store anything on the website. That's why you have to give them a link to the story.

The code reads the file puts it together and then flashes it to your kindle, or displays html on the site. Of course the html is missing somethings, like the ending </p>'s for the center tag. But other than that, it's just like reading it here at LIT. or via the Lit. App.

He fell flat on his face on an uneven sideway in Spokane Washington the day before getting on a cruise on the Snake River (on the way to the Colombia River), spent the evening in the ER, early next morning at a dentist's working with a lot of bailing wire to hold his teeth together temporarily, and made the cruise (which I recommend--the American Queen). And no he isn't interested in this copyright question thread.

WTF Pilot? Ouch, sorry to hear that. I hope you can still get medicinal alcohol past the bandages, sounds like you need it.

He fell flat on his face on an uneven sideway in Spokane Washington the day before getting on a cruise on the Snake River (on the way to the Colombia River), spent the evening in the ER, early next morning at a dentist's working with a lot of bailing wire to hold his teeth together temporarily, and made the cruise (which I recommend--the American Queen). And no he isn't interested in this copyright question thread.

That sounds effin' painful, not to say expensive.
Sympathy.

SR: sorry to hear that. Glad you made the cruise though. Dental emergencies on holiday are the worst.

Rest of this thread: How is this different to, say, me using Google Translate to convert a German story into English? Or somebody tweaking the settings on their browser so that it displays a Lit story in a more readable font? Every time you read a Lit story, your computer is making a temporary copy so it can display it for you, and probably several other computers in between you and Lit are making their own copies as part of the transmission process.

It's not like they're trying to steal credit from Literotica or from the authors. The only issue I can see here is that it might be cutting into ad revenue (in the same sort of way that an adblocker does), but that's nothing to do with copyright.

WTF Pilot? Ouch, sorry to hear that. I hope you can still get medicinal alcohol past the bandages, sounds like you need it.

To test that out, I went on a winery and distillery tour in Richland, WA, this afternoon. Passed the imbibing test without trouble.

I doubt he/they store anything on the website. That's why you have to give them a link to the story.

Actually, they do keep at least some of it on their own site, after the processing. I found the site by googling a phrase from one of my stories, and this site popped up. So they'd stored my story long enough for Google to index it.

To test that out, I went on a winery and distillery tour in Richland, WA, this afternoon. Passed the imbibing test without trouble.

Good!

And no more exuberant jaunting about on uneven sidewalks.

Stop fretting about copyright, which is effectively meaningless on the Net. Everything you see and hear is copied to your device. Intercepting and harvesting such bounties are up to the user. For protection, don't post. For further protection, don't touch anyone or anything. Reality is contaminated.

Good man!

And next time, when your wife says, "honey, can we take a little trip?" don't take her so literally....

I did one of my stories and everything was centered on the web page. Very unreadable. I'm wondering if it gets transmitted to a Kindle if it displays that way also.

I tried it with one of mine. The format wasn't too bad, but then it went looking in the rest of my story file, tried to bolt on other stories, doubled up one part of a multi-part story, and then disappeared into some black hole of its own. Never showed up on my kindle, though, which is what I was curious about.

He fell flat on his face on an uneven sideway in Spokane Washington the day before getting on a cruise on the Snake River (on the way to the Colombia River), spent the evening in the ER, early next morning at a dentist's working with a lot of baling wire to hold his teeth together temporarily, and made the cruise (which I recommend--the American Queen). And no he isn't interested in this copyright question thread.

Ow! Seems to be something going around lately. One of my best friends had a loaner truck because her Prius was recalled. She is used to her Prius and not this huge truck, climbing in it she tripped and did a faceplant on the sidewalk. Bruised her whole face and she had a concussion. Was told to stay away from any electronic screen for 24 hours.
She is all but recovered now, hope you are too!

Ow! Seems to be something going around lately. One of my best friends had a loaner truck because her Prius was recalled. She is used to her Prius and not this huge truck, climbing in it she tripped and did a faceplant on the sidewalk. Bruised her whole face and she had a concussion. Was told to stay away from any electronic screen for 24 hours.
She is all but recovered now, hope you are too!

Thanks, I've been stabilized. Not recovered, though, as I'm sure I have to have the two front teeth pulled and replaced somehow. I'm just going with the flow, though.

Back