Heartless - closed for Ravenloft and Eklectikchik

"Trust in me, Tamara, I have been a monster Hunter for hundreds of years. I will capture the boys kin so that you can heal them." He produced a flask of black liquid and held it out to her. "Have the boy drink this, if he starts to choke, get back from him. But be sure it's not simply because of how awful the concoction tastes." He said with a wry smile. "I know you would never abandon this boy and his people just for the sake of confronting the mistress sooner. That is why I love you... it is what she is counting on though. But because you can heal them... I have little to fear."
 
Tamara nodded slowly, a little anxious, but she saw hope shining in his brilliant blue gaze. "OK...be careful, please..." She said, grasping on his hand a moment and giving it a squeeze, her eyes filled with worry. "I don't want to lose you." She added. Her touch made his skin tingle to life, without realizing it, she was feeding him as well, healing whatever she could.

"I will tend to the boy..." She finally said, reluctantly letting go. Only she didn't stumble, still grounded to the earth as she moved to the child and held him in her arms. He sank against her, tears brimming in his eyes. "This will be vile, but you must swallow it. For the sake of you and your people, do you understand?"

He nodded slightly, trembling against her as she took the top off and pressed whatever concoction Treyis had to the boys lips. He instantly made a face, struggling to gulp the liquid down as she held him and soothed him. Her soft voice encouraging until the deed was done.

He struggled not to gag, gasping for a breath and turning a shade of green as he pressed a hand to his stomach. "It's alright now..." She soothed, watching closely for any signs of change.
 
Treyis was moved by the boys show of strength, it didn't matter how long it would take, he would help return his family and friends to him. He dropped down from Hexens back and came to the boy and Tamaras side, kneeling down. He patted the young man on the back and drew against Tamaras side. "Do not fret lad, we will restore your family and friends." He promised. "But we will need your help."
 
Tamara smiled and eased the boy up, then helped him up to his feet with the help of Treyis's sure and steady hand. He gulped and nodded, giving them both a wide eyed stare. "Anything..."

Tamara was touched by the boys bravery and smiled softly. "You need not worry. We'll keep you safe...us and that great big handsome beast behind us, Hexen. Treyis here is experienced and I will heal your clan. It will be fine..." she promised, hoping that her words would remain true.
 
Treyis took Tamara aside once more to discuss the other hard truth of the situation. That some of them may not be willing to accept the restoration once they have tasted their first kills. "And I doubt we can find them all before they have tasted blood. The boy was lucky, it could have been much harder for him than it was. If they do, and I test them the way I tested him, they will suffer greatly, or die from it as the bane makes them feel the pain they have caused their victims."
 
Tamara felt a pang of sadness and regret, but nodded slowly. "Alright...well, we do what we must. Either way, something must be done, right?"

Treyis gave her a slightly nod before she reached up to cup the side of his face and stood on tip toe to kiss his lips softly. "For luck...now, tell us what we should be doing?" She asked, stepping away because she knew this wasn't the time to get cozy. They had an important task on their hands...another that was.

Hexen huffed and stomped a hoof, gazing at them expectantly.
 
"Lad, guide us back to your village, we can search for your people from there." Treyis called as he took Tamaras hand and helped her up on Hexen. He gave up his place to the boy as well and remained on foot next to Hexen, holding the reigns. "We will need a place that can hold the ones we capture and a place that Tamara can draw the power to heal them from. As well as food and shelter for the four of us."
 
Tamara wound her arms around the boy, keeping him safe as he was still a little weak. She gave him a reassuring squeeze, wanting him to know that all was going to be alright, although she wasn't entirely sure it would be.

Inside, she silently wondered how someone could be so cruel as to inflict harm on such innocence. More than ever now, she wanted to find a way to defeat his daughter...to free him from a life of servitude and hell.
 
It wasn't far to the boys village but he could not risk putting either of them in danger of infection so he got his gear in order, packing his backpack with the items he would need for this hunt. "Lad, does your village have a guard house or a jail? If so, that is the first place I must secure, then a place for us to rest in safety. From there, it is just a matter of bringing back any that might have fled into the wilderness."

His pack was heavy with chain and locks and a few other, more peculiar items when he drew it on. "Tamara, Hexen, please keep the boy safe. I will return once I'm sure the village is secured."
 
The boy fixed his gaze on Treyis, both still shaken, but also curious. "We have no jail...there is a small holding cell at the far end of the village, but our village is small. Most trouble comes from the outside."

He took a gulping breath. "I do no know who else survives...but I am sure you would be welcome in my home...as well as any others that you are willing to help..."

Tamara smiled softly and gave Treyis a nod. "He'll be safe with us. We will wait for you."
 
Treyis went silently into the village surrounded by woods. He kept low and went along the sides of houses as he went, listening for movement. It wasn't long before he heard the revelry going on within the largest house in the village. Stealthily making his way over to it, he peeked in. There was a congregation of at least twenty villagers transacting the place, seeking food. A chair was flung at the window he peeked in, forcing him to duck back. He paused, ready for an attack to follow but none came.

The congregation of villagers were being called around a man in robes, the villages cleric, Treyis guessed. He was guiding them to move on to another house so that they would not fall to their evil hunger.

This was the best moment he would have to take so many down at once. Treyis took a hand full of glass vials and threw them into the room through the broken window. The shattered and formed a cloud of gas within.

Most of the people within were taken by surprise, but five were aware and close enough to an exit that they made a break for it. Treyis couldn't afford to let any more of them escape by going after them immediately so he allowed the five to run. He would recover them soon. It would be a task, securing the ones inside as it was.

Once he was sure that the rest of the village was empty he sent a call to Hexen. If he was to secure all fifteen of these people before his gas wore off he would need everyone's help.

In the mean time he went to work dragging them outside, stripping any of their weapons and suckling their hands and legs, just to be safe. One young man began to awaken as he locked he dragged him out so he had to render him unconscious again.
 
Tamara felt Hexen shift and then heard him snuffle before he pawed the ground and began walking. He told her that Treyis was ready. She held onto the boy and felt a sliver of fear race down her back. When finally they entered the village, she tensed and gasped softly. "So many..." She whispered, watching Treyis dragging another body out and quickly stripped it of weapons.

Carefully she slipped off of Hexen's back and helped the boy down. "Treyis..."

He glanced her way and Hexen shifted slightly, bumping her body. "He works...stay on guard. Other's are still free." Hexen warned and Tamara nodded slightly, taking the boys hand.

"Come, I will take you to my home." He said, tugging at her hand and pointing to the modest home.

"Yes...we must prepare...."
 
It was a terrible risk to have brought them into the village so soon but he had to chance it considering how many he managed to get at once. Especially the elder cleric, who no doubt had the greatest sway over the rest of the villagers and seemed to have some idea how to delay the settling of their curse. Historically he had very little use for men of the gods and they for him, but this one, with any luck, would not condemn him on sight as a servant of evil.

He had HexenHexen help him carry the stripped and shackled unconscious to an underground cellar that he could chain up from the outside, it was his best option under such time constraints.

Meanwhile the young man took Tamara to his home. A log hut with a stone fire place. The place was a mess, with a broken table and chairs, the larder having been ransacked and the bed rooms tossed for no good reason. "Mum? Pa?" He called out hesitantly, but the house was abandoned. "They weren't among the villagers..." He whispered with a trembling voice, dread filling his bright young eyes.
 
Back
Top