What about markings?

It has come up in some previous relationships, the idea or finding something meaningful that could symbolize ownership to the two of us. Since I wanted to avoid the obvious marks coming up with something agreeable to both wasn't easy. I would want it to be explainable on a vanilla level which makes it more complicated. I am not a fan of the blatant ones on a personal level. I get the draw, its just not my preference.

Like his collar I prefer something that has meaning for us without throwing out relationship out there to the rest of the world 24/7.
 
Master has talked of a brand or tat, but it's never happened. I do treasure my piercings, though. :rose:
 
New here

I'm new here but not to the lifestyle and I have marked my subbies in the past but only those that I have collared. I have them take two tiny tattoos (about the size of a quarter) very high up on the inside of their thighs. They are cat paws as if their thighs are being pushed apart.

They find that they're both delicate and feminine and obviously unless they're at the beach, nobody sees them.
 
I got a tattoo for my 10th anniversary with my wife, based on a pet name she calls me. But out-and-out labeling? Heck no. (Also, is the SLRN still a thing?)
 
The thing about life is that while today feels permanent, tomorrow is a mystery. I can't imagine being so selfish as to insist that today's partner (who may have been my partner for the last 35 years, by the way) permanently mark her body at my whim. For tomorrow we might part and that mark might then hurt her more than loss itself. Why would I force my love to take that risk of permanent hurt? It's inconceivable to me.
 
I guess it depends on point of view? Master has a tat with his ex-wife's name...not my favorite but it's part of the road map of his life. The scars on my knees and shoulder are the same (not to mention all the little burn marks from my summer job at McD's, and some of my torching misadventures).

Imagine my delight when it turned out that my much-mourned "lost" nipple piercings were very easily reopened by a talented piercer! I might not keep them as an old lady in a nursing home (if I last that long) but my hood piercing, the first one Master requested...that's going with me to my grave. :rose:
 
Nope, not for me. I don't like the idea of permanently marking my body even with my own ideas. I would never get a tattoo or permanent mark for anyone.
 
It's going to take a little while, but I'm planning/designing my very first tat. (Mom would clobber me if she were still here. LOL) It's something I thought about during my inpatient episode last week...a reminder to keep me a little bit saner.

It will be on the inside of my left forearm where I can easily refer to it as needed. Not big, but enough to 'get' easily. it will be a brightly-colored tent with a few monkeys frolicking around it, and a big red circle-slash over it. (Think it over...:D)
 
Nope, not for me. I don't like the idea of permanently marking my body even with my own ideas. I would never get a tattoo or permanent mark for anyone.

I have to add, I would actually get a permanent mark for someone I love if it was a scar from giving them one of my organs kind of thing. So, that's the exception. I actually feel guilty when I look at some scars from having spots removed (suspected skin cancel but wasn't). I miss those spots and feel bad that all that's left is scars. With this mentality, tattoos and body piercings are just off limits.
 
I'd consider something subtle, but not with my name or something huge. As others have said, life changes and tomorrow is a mystery. Imagine in a year or two having regret every time you looked in the mirror.
 
I think I like the idea in a romantical sort of way. It would have to be something that would be more symbolic and private though. It would be a mark that would be for my own self more than it would be to display anything to anyone outside of the relationship. It would be intimate, and kept with a knowing glance between that person and I only.

Regrets seem to make less sense to me these days. Maybe it's a sign of deeper self acceptance? The reasons to be marked could end, but the truth is that at the moment of being marked, all the reasons would be there, and having it end would not undo any of it. Whatever happens in my life is part of my true story so why not allow it to be a visible or tangible permanent something I can trace with my more tired fingertips to daydream at. Not of the ending, but of the moment it happened.

But then again, I guess I also tend to love smile at the dents and coffee rings in my furniture more deeply these days.
 
Not strictly relevant but a relationship tale...

A woman I know had her husband's name tattooed across the base of her spine. They'd been married for 23 years and had 3 children.

She hadn't discovered that he was having an affair with the best friend of their 20 year old daughter, and was actually the father of the baby she'd had, and which she brought round to their house.

After the ensuing upheaval which took several years, she tried to get the tattoo altered into a design to obliterate his name, but it just looked a mess.

So no, I would never consider a permanent mark of any kind.
 
The reasons to be marked could end, but the truth is that at the moment of being marked, all the reasons would be there, and having it end would not undo any of it.

Yes, this!

That said, I do not have any tatoos or other intentional permanent marks.
I think that's more about not being good at creating or fixing on visual symbols beyond letters and numbers.
There are also way too many bad tatoos out there.

I'm somewhat in love with my scars though.

And yes, as Elle said there is a lot of symbolism in the wedding ring.
 
On one hand, if consenting adults consider it fun, then to each his own.

On the other hand it is also an act of flashing your sexuality in the face of people, of whom some may prefer not to take part.
(Involving people is also about consent in my book)

And as MWY said "a permanent mark for something as fragile as a relationship"?

It can be hard enough to take of the wedding ring and leave a dysfunctional relationship. If it is etched into your skin, it probably is not any easier.



Life leaves marks, and both Lady C and I have a few scars. But that is patina!
My best scar has unfortunately faded. It was from a really good rug burn on my shoulder, from when we got to know each other for real.
:D
But it was visible for quite a few years.
 
Last edited:
As someone with several tattoos, this is not something I would ever be okay with. My tattoos are deeply personal expressions of me. I have tattoos for my children, as that relationship is permanent, including one that represents the last time I gave birth, but for my husband, no. We have been together for over a third of my life, and it is something I would never submit to. I wear his wedding ring. That is marking enough for me and thankfully, for him, as well.
 
Back
Top