The Past And Future Collide

She prepared for bed. Alexander must come from somewhere where there was great freedom. She remembered a childhood friend who had been branded a witch. Rebecca's death had been horrible, and it left her wary of such things.

She blew out her light and climbed into bed. Today had been such an upsetting day. Tomorrow she would help Alexander to find exactly someone who could help him.

He was such an attractive young man. Were she not engaged... She did not complete the thought. For she was. Though she loved not Jon, she was fond of him. Besides, very rarely were there marriages of love. Arranged marriages were what she had been brought up to expect. A marriage that furthered each party's family.

She drifted off to sleep but her dreams were troubled.
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander exhaled softly as he glanced up at the chateau. "I'm not a witch... but then again, I suspect that few people who are claimed to be witches actually are," he said softly as he took a slow, soft breath as the sun broke over the horizon.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
Angelina awoke the next morning feeling as if she had not slept. As she dressed she worried about Alexander. She didn't want anything bad to happen to him.

Once she was dressed, she went in search of him, hoping that he had a better night than she did.
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander sighed softly as he'd found a low wall to sit against. "I wonder if there's a piano here," he mumbled. He exhaled softly as he'd changed the bandages on his own body to keep the wounds from getting infected. He wore a casual but impressive outfit.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
She found him out in the garden. He seemed so sad as he attempted to change his bandages.

"Bonjour, Alexander. Oh, let me change those for you. Let us go to the kitchen and I will take care of them." She took his arm as they walked back to the house. "You seem so sad. I'm sorry if you are not happy."
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander chuckled softly as he stood. "I'm not too sad. Lonely, perhaps. Admittedly, having such a beautiful young woman who actually seems to want to be around me is different, and that 'painting' of the wooden home that looked like it was going to collapse... was the home I had to live in, so obviously a place like this is a huge jump up," he said softly and shyly. He exhaled softly as they reached the kitchen.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
"That is very sweet to say those things about me." She smiled at him as she seated him at the table and began changing the dressing in his wounds. She had a light and gentle touch. "Please let me know if I hurt you." She cleaned them, reapplied the salve and redressed them. When she had finished, she gave him a smile.

Since they were alone, she wanted to say something.

"You have been a perfect gentleman. But this time, 1452, is not the best of times. People are easily swayed, easily think the worst of people. It does not mean they are bad, they are just uninformed. Maybe in your time things are better. Maybe not." She put her hand on his arm. "I just do not want you hurt "

She told him, "Mama does not usually awaken before 11. The morning meal is informal. Is there something that you wish to eat?"
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander snorted softly as she mentioned his time 'was better'. "Is there some fish of some kind? If there's a stream nearby known to have fish, I can catch and prepare them myself, all I'd need is a length of narrow rope or line. Admittedly, my time... in some ways it may be better than now, though there are always going to be people who feel they deserve what another has and aren't willing to work for it... and honestly... from what I know, wars now rely heavily on swords... war in my time... is worse. They have weapons that can take a bit of metal a third the size of your fingernail and move it so fast that you don't see it coming until it's too late to avoid it, I know that from experience," he said softly, taking her hand and guiding to a point just above his left hip where there was an old, round scar. Fortunately for him, it had been a 'through and through' and missed not only the bones of his pelvis but his kidneys as well, only hitting muscle. "When I got shot, it was to keep someone from stealing from a business...it was pretty painful, but missed anything vital," he said shyly.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
"I am very sorry that you were hurt." His skin was warm and she flushed to feel such an intimate part of him. She should have drawn her hand away, but she could not. Her fingers explored the scar - so round and perfect. Small.

"Does it still hurt? Did it damage anything inside?" A proper young lady did not fondle a young man, and certainly not one unless she were a fiancéd to.

His skin was warm as she finally took her hand away to rest it on his arm.
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander shook his head. "Missed anything vital. Mainly went through muscle. Had it been two inches to the right and one higher, it would have hit my kidney, an organ that helps you use a chamber pot, though you can live with only one," he said wryly. Admittedly, there were some places that were fatal if damaged.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
"You must be very learned," she was in awe of his knowledge. "And I must say that your dress certainly does you justice." She walked with him arm in arm as they headed to the dining room.

"Are you hungry? We usually break our fast with a light meal as Mama is still asleep. We usually have fresh fruit and sweet breads."

She looked at him. "You asked about fishing. There is a stream a bit further beyond where I found you yesterday. After we eat I will gather you some rope that may work for you."

She led him to the sideboard where the food had been laid out.
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander shrugged one shoulder as they walked back inside the chateau. "What kinds of bread do you usually prefer? I know a couple of very different but delicious bread recipes myself, one from my homeland of Ireland, the other is a style of bread from an area very, very far to the east," he said with interest. He knew of the fouèe and boulè styles of French breads.

He wasn't quite sure how to respond to her compliment on his clothing. His eyes widened slightly in great interest upon seeing the fruit. "Sultana grapes. I'm very familiar with those, very sweet flavor and they can be dried into raisins, though I've found that covering the grapes with finely crushed acorns works well combined with the 'shade' method of drying," he said thoughtfully.


tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
There were figs, grapes and plums. Angelina pointed to a sweet bread on a platter.

"This is my favorite. It is made by our cook. It is filled with honey and figs and crushed almonds. It is one of my favorite things to eat." She picked up a little pocket of dough, baked light brown and smelling sweet.

"Get what you would like to eat. We are very informal in the mornings. Usually. "

Angelina took her own plate and crossed to sit where she had sat the evening before. Mary appeared and poured water in Alexander's glass at his place and crossed round to pour water for Angelina before returning to the kitchen.

"I hope that you do not mind helping yourself this morning. And feel free to go back for more if you wish."
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander looked thoughtful as he scooped up a pear, a few figs, and a couple of the sweet breads Angelina seemed to favor. "I know how tough it is, especially if you haven't done it before, to prepare wild acorns and almonds. Though I'm going to tell you something very critical: if you're ever offered almond oil, especially bitter almond oil, do not hesitate to refuse it," he said in a serious tone.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
"Really? Why?" She wondered.

She watched him eat the food. She ate the little sweet bread, and couldn't resist slipping back over to get another one.

"What do you think?" She asked as she watched him take a bite of the treat.
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander exhaled softly. "Because almond oil is poisonous due to a particular compound in it: cyanide. The food's delicious," he said simply. "Cyanide strikes at your heart and lungs, making it impossible for your body to actually use the oxygen in the air we breathe and can cause loss of consciousness preceded by general weakness, giddiness, headaches, vertigo, confusion, and perceived difficulty in breathing. At the first stages of unconsciousness, breathing is often sufficient or even rapid, although the state of the victim progresses towards a deep coma, sometimes accompanied by pulmonary edema... the blood vessels of your heart swell, and finally cardiac arrest... your heart stops," he said quietly. He had an eidetic memory although he most certainly didn't flaunt it.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
She looked at him not understanding anything that he said other than almond oil is poisonous and he liked the sweet bread. But she didn't want to make him feel bad, so she just smiled at him and said, "Okay. Thank you."

They ate the rest of the meal in silence. She did not feel smart enough to talk to him.

Once they had finished, she rose, telling him to leave the dishes for Mary.

"If you will follow me, I will find you that rope that you wanted." She led him to a shed to the side of the garden. Inside was rope and various tools and sundry things.

"Please feel free to use these things to do your fishing. To find the little river, just go out the back gate and straight back. You should find the river a short distance there."
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander could tell, though Angelina didn't say anything, that she didn't understand most of what he'd said. "Angelina. Did you know that one of the most famous people in my time... is named after you?" he said with amusement. He was fairly sure it would surprise her. He cocked his head at her directions, not quite understanding. "I'm not as familiar with this area as you are, remember? Although I wouldn't mind having a beautiful guide," he teased idly.

Elsewhere, a dark shadow withdrew his long, serrated blade from the corpse of the high ranking man, one who was closely connected to the fiancè of one Angelina du Vairmer. He pressed his palms to the hardened stone, the sharp sizzling as his master's symbol was burned deep into the stone a warning to all those fools. A small smirk crossed the cloaked figure's scarred visage as he slipped out of the now empty chateau, formerly of the De Soleivant family. The chateau had held no less than fifteen servants, alongside the four remaining members of the De Soleivant family... all now slaughtered.
tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
"Someone famous? Oh, how delightful. What kind of woman is she?" She was tickled at the idea of it.

"Of course! Let me show you the way. But stay away from that area of the back wall where the brambles are." She smiled back. Alexander really was sweet.

She took his arm as they set off for the river. It was not too far, only about 7 minutes walking through the heavy forest. Soon they could hear the sound of trickling water as it rushed over rocks.

Pushing through the last of the last of the brushes, there was the brook.

"Here, as promised, is your little river." She sat down on a grassy patch on the river bank. "I hope that you do not mind if I keep you company."
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander smirked slightly as he shrugged slightly. "From what I know of Angelina Jolie, a lot of her family are entertainers. I honestly don't know that much about her, though I do know that her career really blew up in a good way when I was seven or eight years old. I've seen four or five of her movies, three of which were based upon a series that has really only gotten bigger. I really only need two thorns," he said thoughtfully. He made sure to not stab himself with the long thorns, though. As they walked, he did notice the path through the thick trees. He looked around with interest at the stream, which was about knee deep. He looked around thoughtfully, his gaze scanning around. Fortunately, the rope wasn't very thick but it was long enough for his current needs. He found a stick as thick as his thumb, then split it in half. "I'd actually like that. Obviously, we lack fish hooks made of metal, so, I'm making one by forcing these thorns through the stick's soft wood, then I'll use a double hitch knot to tie it to the rest of the rope," he said, grateful for Angelina's company. He dug a partial hole through the stick and pulled the rope through it before winding it twice around itself before tugging it through the loop and tightening it. "I like hitch knots since they're easy to untie, yet ta the same time, if you pull on it, it'll get more firmly tied," he explained with a shy blush. He observed the fish swimming. "Looks like grayling and trout, both very good for eating," he observed as he twisted his wrist, spinning the makeshift hooj, though he was sure she'd wonder why he'd pushed one thorn on one side and the other through the opposite side.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
"I love trout."

She sat there on the bank watching Alexander fish. He seemed to know what he was doing and she enjoyed watching him. The sun shine down upon them in this little clearing. There were some little yellow flutterbys that danced in the air. They seemed drawn to Alexander as they circled around his head. More and more appeared, light and yellow and filling the air.

She started laughing as they landed in his head like a yellow garland gracing his hair.

"You have made new friends, Alexander. Your hair is full of flutterbys."
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander looked up a bit, spotting the small butterflies. "Interesting, though I have always found butterflies interesting to watch," he said with amusement before he spotted a trout snapping at the makeshift hook, which made him jerk it closer to himself before his hand flashed into the water, snagging the thick, foream length trout by the tail and tossed it onshore. It twitched before going still, as he'd snapped its neck with the quick grab-and-twitch movement.

tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
She watched him pull on the line, the trout ending up on the bank. While he handled the fish, the flutterbys took flight to hover above his head before landing again in his hair. She was fascinated as she had never seen such behavior.

She clapped at the trout in the bank. "We shall be having fish for our meal."

She was enjoying the day. She knew that Mama would be rising soon. Meanwhile, it was nice being here with Alexander.
 

Alexander Èirílae Campbell
19 years of age
Alexander smiled slightly as he glanced downstream, not noticing the tendrils of crimson red flowing through the clear waters. He did, however, notice that the fish almost immediately acted odd, as if something had frightened them. He blinked, confused, before his gaze drifted over the stream's waters before he frowned slightly, noticing the faint discoloration in the water. He strode onto the bank and moved upstream before he frowned slightly, spotting a large patch of dead grass and weeds close to the edge of the stream, along with the evidence of two boots that seemed... burned into the loamy soil. "I have a bad feeling about this... something is potentially nearby with... necrotic energy, as strange as it sounds," he said softly, frowning as he turned away, cautious. He made his way back downstream to Angelina.

Dull brown eyes beneath stringy blond hair watched from deep into the trees, listening closely. Whispers in his mind made him sigh softly. "Yes, master... if he... or the trollop he is with interferes, they will die screaming," he whispered, his voice raspy.
tribal20moon20tattoo_zpsazqfq5tn.jpg

Phone

Self Defense
 
Alexander suddenly seemed apprehensive, looking around as he muttered under his breath.

I have a bad feeling about this... something is potentially nearby with... necrotic energy, as strange as it sounds

She looked surprised. "Neoc... Ne... What kind of energy?" She notice the water was starting to discolor.

"What is wrong with the water?" She felt a chill run through her body. "Alexander, what's wrong?"
 
Back
Top