a human embryo

• Total voters
No one is withheld life-saving treatment. The difference is being able to afford regular check-ups, preventative care, or optional, non-necessary medical attention (like laser-optic surgery).

In America, once a person loses the ability to pay out-of-pocket, he/she goes on Medicare & SSDI.

Irrelevant to my point.

That's a chickenshit argument. You can't make a claim then expect others to refute it for you, especially on the GB. If you want people to accept it you have to support it yourself.

Anyway, how do you define health care access?

It's illegal for US hospitals who participate in Medicare (which is most of them) to deny emergency care to anyone on the basis of ability (or lack thereof) to pay.

so how do you guys explain the mortality rates for poorer people being higher than for richer people?

and seriously, giving someone a bit of triage in ER is not the same as a course of treatment for cancer or for needing serious and long term drug treatments.

so how do you guys explain the mortality rates for poorer people being higher than for richer people?

and seriously, giving someone a bit of triage in ER is not the same as a course of treatment for cancer or for needing serious and long term drug treatments.

Poorer people have less ready access to high quality nutritious foodstuff, generally live in areas more prone to violent crime, are more likely to engage in higher risk activities (drugs, smoking, heavy drinking), are more likely to have broken homes, etc, etc, etc. There are a whole host of conditions that result in higher mortality for the poor. Universal insurance coverage won't aleviate those conditions, not will it necessarily guarantee that individuals will access available resources better.

And yes, poor people can and do get full treatments for cancer and long term drug treatments, IF (and this is the BIG IF) they are willing to slog through the mountains of paperwork and do the call backs necessary to get them. In other otherwords, concentrated effort is working substitute for cash.

But seriously, what has any of this to do with the topic of this thread, which is a poll about abortion?

Stay on topic.

if those were the only reason then the usa would have the same stats on the rich/poor health divide as the uk. our poor smoke, drink, fight and divorce more often too. are the stats similar?

if those were the only reason then the usa would have the same stats on the rich/poor health divide as the uk. our poor smoke, drink, fight and divorce more often too. are the stats similar?

I don;t know, but I feel certain you'll tell me if you have them.

I hope you're feeling somewate better, BT. Did you have a nice warm bath?

I don;t know, but I feel certain you'll tell me if you have them.

I hope you're feeling somewate better, BT. Did you have a nice warm bath?

i've no idea. i was just pointing out the most obvious way to prove or disprove your theory.

i think i actually feel worse. i had a hot math.
it was almost as comforting as the snowball i just drank for breakfast.

i've no idea. i was just pointing out the most obvious way to prove or disprove your theory.

County to country comparisons have there own issues. Population size/density, geography, culture, the particular demographics all come itno play, leaving with generalities at best.

I'm sorry your feeling poorly.

Feel better.

I'm out for the night.

You're drinking alcohol for breakfast? Are you trying to knock yourself out?

Okay, I'll give you a freebie here and assume (at least for the moment) that this is true.

Based on personal experience I'd say stress plays a larger role than most people realize. It's not the only factor but it does contribute.

No one is saying that it is... or was that supposed to answer my question?

Poorer people have less ready access to high quality nutritious foodstuff, generally live in areas more prone to violent crime, are more likely to engage in higher risk activities (drugs, smoking, heavy drinking), are more likely to have broken homes, etc, etc, etc. There are a whole host of conditions that result in higher mortality for the poor. Universal insurance coverage won't aleviate those conditions, not will it necessarily guarantee that individuals will access available resources better.

And yes, poor people can and do get full treatments for cancer and long term drug treatments, IF (and this is the BIG IF) they are willing to slog through the mountains of paperwork and do the call backs necessary to get them. In other otherwords, concentrated effort is working substitute for cash.

But seriously, what has any of this to do with the topic of this thread, which is a poll about abortion?

Stay on topic.

I was going to give a point by point refutation of this but I sugest you just read these to start with. I think I found about another 5 or six peer reviewed articles as well:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/disparities/cancer-health-disparities
http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/nhdr03/nhdrsum03
http://pmj.bmj.com/content/81/961/674.abstract

Okay, I'll give you a freebie here and assume (at least for the moment) that this is true.

Based on personal experience I'd say stress plays a larger role than most people realize. It's not the only factor but it does contribute.

No one is saying that it is... or was that supposed to answer my question?

Stress does play a part as do environmental conditions, but study after study shows that socioeconomic status impacts on primary access and treatment given. Diabeties is a really good example of this.

Not sure which question you mean. The one about defining access?

old news. We covered that one last year when the primary reports started coming out.

attachment.php

^^ i look at that and i see limbs, a head, eyes.
but i don't see a person.
it's brain is incomplete. it's thoughts and emotions are no more complex than those of a fish.
i can't pinpoint the moment where that little creature becomes a person though. somewhere between conception and birth f'sure.
looking at that stage, i find it hard to understand the passion of the antiabortionists.

A car can be broken down into reusable parts, so why not a human? baby or otherwise?

Back