The SCOURIES reader – for both fans and serious scholars…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contests by year since I've been here. Anything before and I'm not familiar with all the names.

2003 5 contests 17 places awarded AH 2

2004 5 contests 15 places awarded AH 8

2005 6 contests 24 places awarder AH 14

2006 6 contests 18 places awarded AH 13

2007 6 contests 19 places awarded AH 11

2008 2 contest 3 places awarded AH 2

In all cases over 50% of the stories posted to the contests were from AH authors.

These are the facts. Make of them what you will
There's also the theory that AH authors tend to be fairly willing to edit, and tend to talk about the craft of writing. It's a self-selecting crowd in some ways, and one of those ways is a tendency to improve-- and applaud each other's improving. The people who feel seriously that contests are worth winning tend to end up here because thesupport is here for the craft.

I wonder if that might have anything to do with it? :)

There's also the theory that AH authors tend to be fairly willing to edit, and tend to talk about the craft of writing. It's a self-selecting crowd in some ways, and one of those ways is a tendency to improve-- and applaud each other's improving. The people who feel seriously that contests are worth winning tend to end up here because thesupport is here for the craft.

I wonder if that might have anything to do with it? :)

Yes, non AHers do win in the contests. But I think you'd have to be blind to deny that AHers are doing "scratch my back/I'll scratch yours" vote promotion--there's a whole string here during each contest to support that. So, I don't see making a big deal about it either way. It just goes with this type of voting being diluted by who wrote it.

Last edited:
Yes, non AHers do win in the contests. But I think you'd have to be blind to deny that AHers are doing "scratch my back/I'll scratch yours" vote promotion--there's a whole string here during each contest to support that. So, I don't see making a big deal about it either way. It just goes with this type of voting being diluted by who wrote it.

I don't really consider myself an AH'er, so my personal experience may not reflect that of others. I have never been approached by anyone to vote for their story etc, or to vote someone else's story down.

One funny thing though, during my only entry into the contests, I received a glowing review from an AH member and a vote. The vote just happened to be a 2. It was at that point I realized that I had no friends, and probably being seen as a member of the AH is probably more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

I don't really consider myself an AH'er, so my personal experience may not reflect that of others. I have never been approached by anyone to vote for their story etc, or to vote someone else's story down.

One funny thing though, during my only entry into the contests, I received a glowing review from an AH member and a vote. The vote just happened to be a 2. It was at that point I realized that I had no friends, and probably being seen as a member of the AH is probably more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

Like saying a word that's listed as word in the dictionary isn't a word :)D), I don't think you get a vote on whether you are an AHer. You post here regularly, so that makes you an AHer--makes me an AHer too, which, I'm sure gives some folks here fits. Scouries is an AHer too, for that matter. (So, if he wins a contest, he logicially should whine about an AH winning the contest. :D)

The "I'm missing x votes" or "who need's votes?" postings to the regular contest AH thread is obviously an approach on voting. And I'm sure it works for a few votes--in ways any author entering a story and never coming to the forum doesn't/can't employ.

I think the truth is in the balance here. No, not every contest winner is an AHer; but, yes, AHers do buddy vote and, thus, do get a step up on others to some extent.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the contest winners stack up in the Earth Day Contest, which, I believe, is going to be finished off tomorrow (almost today).

Yeeeup. Seems like certain folks would be a tad nicer to AHers then, doesn't it? Or maybe just fly under the radar? Nah...

Unless something dramatically shakes up, The top 3 aren't going to include anybody who posts here regularly. None were your top picks, but they were mentions under other wrap-up categories.

TX's story is competitive, but ineligible this time out.

There are a lot of AH regular comments on stories from those who don't visit in every contest, too. I know I've spotlighted stories from authors outside the forum here, and so have many others. They may not win or pick up enough votes to qualify, but it's not for lack of pointing them out :D

Oh, and scouries wouldn't be here if the moderator hadn't exiled him from the feedback forum, and the GBrs hadn't demanded he be removed from their midst as well when they dumped this train-wreck there for a day or so :p

Like saying a word that's listed as word in the dictionary isn't a word :)D), I don't think you get a vote on whether you are an AHer. You post here regularly, so that makes you an AHer--makes me an AHer too, which, I'm sure gives some folks here fits. Scouries is an AHer too, for that matter. (So, if he wins a contest, he logicially should whine about an AH winning the contest. :D)

The "I'm missing x votes" or "who need's votes?" postings to the regular contest AH thread is obviously an approach on voting. And I'm sure it works for a few votes--in ways any author entering a story and never coming to the forum doesn't/can't employ.

I think the truth is in the balance here. No, not every contest winner is an AHer; but, yes, AHers do buddy vote and, thus, do get a step up on others to some extent.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the contest winners stack up in the Earth Day Contest, which, I believe, is going to be finished off tomorrow (almost today).

Last edited:
Unless something dramatically shakes up, The top 3 aren't going to include anybody who posts here regularly. None were your top picks, but they were mentions under other wrap-up categories.

TX's story is competitive, but ineligible this time out.

There are a lot of AH regular comments on stories from those who don't visit in every contest, too. I know I've spotlighted stories from authors outside the forum here, and so have many others. They may not win or pick up enough votes to qualify, but it's not for lack of pointing them out :D

Oh, and scouries wouldn't be here if the moderator hadn't exiled him from the feedback forum, and the GBrs hadn't demanded he be removed from their midst as well when they dumped this train-wreck there for a day or so :p

I'm thinking that tonight we'll see sweeps like haven't happened on the contest before and there's no telling tonight who winds up winners tomorrow.

But Scouries is here, so the history of how he got here is moot. By definition he's an AH regular now. So, does that send you off for some Aspirin? Not me; I'm waiting for him to win so I can whine about AHers always winning the contests. :)

I'm thinking that tonight we'll see sweeps like haven't happened on the contest before and there's no telling tonight who winds up winners tomorrow.

But Scouries is here, so the history of how he got here is moot. By definition he's an AH regular now. So, does that send you off for some Aspirin? Not me; I'm waiting for him to win so I can whine about AHers always winning the contests. :)

I think I'll do both-- take aspirin and whine. At the same time. ;)

It's always possible -- even probable -- that the final sweep will shake every story from root to tippy-top leaf, but three stories ( in cats with decent average vote totals ) have maintained the top spots for a couple of weeks now, with only a few hiccups.

I keep wanting to mention them, but without knowing for sure when the voting will close ( the winners will be announced today, but that doesn't mean that votes don't still count until they actually sit down to calculate it ) I'm afraid to point them out for fear of a last minute bombing run by the legions of the bitter.

So even if I call it, there's no way to prove it *laugh*

Since it's a scouries thread, I call it fair game to pretend he doesn't exist in the AH outside his looney-fest here. It's sort of an embassy from his personal land of make-believe, and thus not a part of the greater forum section. Unfortunately, that means he has diplomatic immunity so we can't charge him for violating noise ordinances with his squealing and screeching about how unfair everything is to him.

If he can have his happy little delusions, so can I :p

Oh, and scouries, I don't have a fit ( or whatever you wrote, I couldn't be bothered to pay that much attention to whatever you blathered on about ) when you post your numbers -- I laugh my ass off.

There's a difference.

I'm just here to write.

Ah, but with so many writers who write here having so many identities, it is difficult to discern a regular AHer from a non AHer.

I have one identity, Bostonfictionwriter. Good, bad or indifferent, I take credit for everything that I write. Even though I'm competitive and enjoy playing games, I don't enjoy the games that are played here.

The only reason why I enter the contest is so Literotica will sweep my page and rid it of many of the bashing votes and restore some of my red H's.

I don't need a contest win to tell me when I've written something good and creative. I don't need a pat on my back from my fellow writers. I don't need the support that they begrudingly give.

I'm just here to write.

Congratulations to those writers who one the Earth Day contest.

It's hard to give support to someone who insults everyone and anyone the way you do. Someone makes a negative comment, and you turn it into nuclear fallout. Someone offers you genuine, careful critique, and you kill their dog.

You're souring your own grapes, you know.

Entering the contest doesn't have anything to do with sweeps. You see the same vote drops whether you're entered or not. Contest stories themselves will get deeper cuts, but everything else is about the same whether you've entered the contest or not.

I called the #1 spot in the contest, but a late entry made it in at #2 ( wasn't sure it had enough votes, glad to see the story made the bar ) and #3 made a great comeback after dropping from the top tier early on.

In before scouries shows up to rail about the unfairness of it all and how the winners aren't good enough :rolleyes:

Hello

Pardon the intrusion. I've been lurking around here lately, enjoying the exchange of ideas about the contests, sweeps and who does the winning. Since I seem to have won, I can provide a little input on some of the points that have been made.

I used to frequent the AH quite a bit back a couple of years ago, but quit when I managed to get second place in a contest and someone took a great deal of offense at that. That bit of unpleasantness seems to have disappeared and perhaps the perp did as well, so I'm resurfacing to test the waters.

I would assume that the premise that AH ers do well in contests may or may not include me, since I doubt whether many here knew/know me. I have no quid pro quo arrangements with any writers here, and I did not vote on any other stories in this contest, or in any other contest I have entered here.

I was included in the sweeps as well, losing at least 70 votes. This did not greatly affect the score, which was in the 4.77 to 4.83 range from the start. At last check, I had about 115 votes remaining.

As for how the sweeps work, I have no idea. I'm sure it's done with good reason and without malice, since Laurel and Manu don't have a dog in the fight. I don't know why I lost that many of my votes; I do not have a blog, an e-mail notification list or a website, and certainly don't have a legion of followers hanging on my every word and waiting for my command to vote early and often. I write the stories, submit them and wait. I mentioned the story to a total of 3 people, one of them being my wife. Not only didn't she vote, she didn't even read the damn thing. Ain't love wonderful?

I would like to thank the authors here at literotica for their integrity. It would be pretty easy to subtly do somebody in (perhaps people do try and get caught without anybody knowing) but I can say that I don't believe I've ever been a victim of that sort of thing here. Thank you to sl71plt for the kind words about my story in his review, and for the nice things he said about my alt's entry as well.

I understand that a story by TxRad would have been up there as well but had won a contest within 6 months. I guess that rule was put in so that the good writers didn't win everytime, and hacks like me get a chance. That takes a bit of the thrill out of it, but I'm still quite happy to be occassionally be thought of in the same breath as so many of the real writers here. :eek:

Intrusion? Only in the sense that you're talking rationally *laugh* We make that mistake on occasion, threadjacking scouries little fantasy land.

Try to ignore scouries when he comes around in a little while to complain that you're cheating by writing in an "easy" category, or paid for your first place finish, or it was too long, or whatever bitter excuse he comes up with to explain why his "masterpiece" didn't win.

You might want to wander on over to the Earth Day Contest support thread, because about half the forum has scouries on ignore, and will never see your thoughts on the contest here :p

Congratulations on your win! It was an excellent story, and holding on to the top spot in the contest rankings for weeks is a testament to that :D

Thanks Darkniciad. I'm not real familiar with most of the players here, and so I wasn't exactly sure where I was, but so far everybody has been fine. Haven't met mr. scouries yet, but I'm pretty easy to get along with.

The easy category part would be hard to argue with. Romance is usually a generous category scoring-wise, but you don't get the number of reads you would get elsewhere. Frost was a tough story to put in any other category, even though it has more sex that most in that arena.

It was long by my standards, but it was - or so I was told - an easy read, with lots of soothing white to make it a smoother journey.

And speaking of the number of reads *further threadjacking*, if any of you folks have been around here for a long time, have the number of reads gone down over the last couple of years?

Thanks Darkniciad. I'm not real familiar with most of the players here, and so I wasn't exactly sure where I was, but so far everybody has been fine. Haven't met mr. scouries yet, but I'm pretty easy to get along with.

The easy category part would be hard to argue with. Romance is usually a generous category scoring-wise, but you don't get the number of reads you would get elsewhere. Frost was a tough story to put in any other category, even though it has more sex that most in that arena.

It was long by my standards, but it was - or so I was told - an easy read, with lots of soothing white to make it a smoother journey.

And speaking of the number of reads *further threadjacking*, if any of you folks have been around here for a long time, have the number of reads gone down over the last couple of years?

The only drop in views I've noticed I attribute to not posting new stories as often. It may be that you're experiencing the same thing because you posted a lot of stories in '04 and '05, with much more sporadic posting afterward. Pump out a couple months worth of consistent new releases, and I should imagine you'll see your views pop right back up, considering your nice back catalogue for people to read between stories once your name is back out there on a regular basis.

Pardon the intrusion. I've been lurking around here lately, enjoying the exchange of ideas about the contests, sweeps and who does the winning. Since I seem to have won, I can provide a little input on some of the points that have been made.

I used to frequent the AH quite a bit back a couple of years ago, but quit when I managed to get second place in a contest and someone took a great deal of offense at that. That bit of unpleasantness seems to have disappeared and perhaps the perp did as well, so I'm resurfacing to test the waters.

I would assume that the premise that AH ers do well in contests may or may not include me, since I doubt whether many here knew/know me. I have no quid pro quo arrangements with any writers here, and I did not vote on any other stories in this contest, or in any other contest I have entered here.

I was included in the sweeps as well, losing at least 70 votes. This did not greatly affect the score, which was in the 4.77 to 4.83 range from the start. At last check, I had about 115 votes remaining.

As for how the sweeps work, I have no idea. I'm sure it's done with good reason and without malice, since Laurel and Manu don't have a dog in the fight. I don't know why I lost that many of my votes; I do not have a blog, an e-mail notification list or a website, and certainly don't have a legion of followers hanging on my every word and waiting for my command to vote early and often. I write the stories, submit them and wait. I mentioned the story to a total of 3 people, one of them being my wife. Not only didn't she vote, she didn't even read the damn thing. Ain't love wonderful?

I would like to thank the authors here at literotica for their integrity. It would be pretty easy to subtly do somebody in (perhaps people do try and get caught without anybody knowing) but I can say that I don't believe I've ever been a victim of that sort of thing here. Thank you to sl71plt for the kind words about my story in his review, and for the nice things he said about my alt's entry as well.

I understand that a story by TxRad would have been up there as well but had won a contest within 6 months. I guess that rule was put in so that the good writers didn't win everytime, and hacks like me get a chance. That takes a bit of the thrill out of it, but I'm still quite happy to be occassionally be thought of in the same breath as so many of the real writers here. :eek:

No intrusion at all DW, but Dark is right. If ya want most people to see these posts or any like them, here is not the place. Scouries has pissed off more people than Attila the Hun.

I remember you from back when and wondered where you got off to. I don't remember who took offense at your win but I'm sorry it happened. Some people, our host here being one, can't stand to lose a contest or the winners are cheating. There's no way to make them understand that there is no click as such in the Ah. We support each other yes but the good old boy buddy system is mostly myth put up by people who don't put in the effort to win.

The sweeps since the new voting system went into effect have been deep and cruel for the mst part. No one understands it and that's probably a good thing. I've gotten votes sweep off stories that have been up three years and haven't had a new vote in two. They are still losing votes in the range of one or two a week. I don't understand but it's the same with everyone.

I don't think or at least I lke to think that other authors don't down vote stories. They should know what goes into write and posting one to do such a lame thing. Human nature on the other hand I won't go into,

As far as me posting in the contest, I did it for two reasons. One I wanted to get the story off my hard drive and two, I wanted to participate, even though I couldn't win. It wasn't my intention to dilute anyones win. As far as being a writer, no, I'm a story teller. Give me another hundred years and I might make a writer. That is if I can ever get grammar and punctuation through my head.

You stick your stuff up there for people to read and vote on so you are a writer. You won so you are good at it for that story. The story, that's what it's all about.

Damn, I'm writing a book here. :D

What TX said :D Count me amongst the storytellers.

We're just filling the gap while scouries crunches, twists, and manufactures the numbers from the contest into something that proves he should have won and everyone else should have been disqualified.

Of course, he'll claim he was actually busy filming his latest blockbuster based upon his "best sellers" on a nude beach with a plethora of jiggling college girls that he paid with his multi-million dollar royalty checks from posting his "masterpieces" here while legions of his adoring fans and writers aspiring to reach his plateau looked on in drooling awe. *laugh*

it was a lovely day at the beach...and young, firm breasts were jiggling delightedly.

[SIZE=+2]EARTH DAY CONTEST[/SIZE]

First, I would like to congratulate Mr. Watts on his victory. It’s actually refreshing to see a contest winning story accumulate over 100 votes for a change! Especially in today’s LITEROTICA where MANU seems to have declared war on just about every vote cast.

As you may have guessed I was not happy to see a ROMANCE story win. Most people already know my opinion on this subject so I won’t belabor it – I’ll simply reiterate that unless there is some adjustment in the rules ROMANCE stories will continue to win an inordinate number of contests.

The EARTH DAY CONTEST itself didn’t seem to generate as much interest or entries as most Special Contests and one can’t help but wonder if it wouldn’t be better to hold this contest only every two or three years instead of annually. Perhaps it could be rotated with some new contest (APRIL FOOLS DAY CONTEST, SPRING BREAK CONTEST etc.).

Reading the support thread today I was also shocked by the low number of votes many very good stories generated. Authors reported vote totals of 23, 14, 19, 13, and 6 among others! For some reason we’re going backwards, not forwards.

I don’t know all the reasons for the fall-off in vote totals and interest but somehow a site with as many readers as LITEROTICA should do much better.

I was very disappointed in my own vote figures (see below) but quite satisfied with the views and the number of comments the story received (The story had more posted comments than the three winners combined). I also received a gratifying number of e-mails on the story. It also just managed a red H which is unusual for me under the new LITEROTICA voting regime.

I also posted the following on the award announcement thread today.

LAUREL

I posted the following comment after the VALENTINES Day Contest. My opinion hasn’t changed since then. It would be a first step in restoring credibility to the contest system.

It's generally accepted practice to publish the results of a vote after you've invited people to participate.

I think all of us would also be curious on how many votes were swept away on each story.

jrs

p.s. my numbers:

Cousin Scouries Tree Hugging Daughter

221 votes
4.53 rating
46,000+ views
600+ votes deleted
35 comments

- This is the lowest total number of votes received on a scouries story in over 2 years.
- The votes as a percentage of total views (less than ½ of one percent) is the lowest on any scouries story in over a year.
- The deleted votes as a percentage of total votes cast is the highest of any scouries story in history (over 75%).

All these are strange results given the site has made it easier to vote and yet has made it harder to double vote. Seeing that many other contest authors are also reporting much larger vote losses than in previous years it might be a good time for you or MANU to give us some explanation for these bizarre results.

As you may have guessed I was not happy to see a ROMANCE story win. Most people already know my opinion on this subject so I won’t belabor it – I’ll simply reiterate that unless there is some adjustment in the rules ROMANCE stories will continue to win an inordinate number of contests.

Yes, we've heard your opinion, now hear mine. Generally, Romance stories are better written pieces with a lot more thought going into the story. The writer of romance has to hold the reader with quality writing, and a quality plot.

*Laugh* Explaining to scouries that there might actually be value in building a relationship between characters instead of using the pre-fabricated familial bonds and not wasting time on anything more should be amusing.

First of all, two out of the three stories in the top three for Valentine's day had over a hundred votes. Mine had over 200 after the sweeps. I lost about fifty total.

As for your lost 600 votes. Maybe Manu finally figured out some more of your isp numbers. None of which come from South Beach by the way. That is unless they moved it to southern England. :D

Gotta love scouries, he'll find some way to disqualify every story but his, given enough time.

He should be in again any minute. New comments showing up on one of his "masterpieces", which always happens right before or right after he shows up here :rolleyes:

Put up or shut up.

You know, Stella, please show me one post where someone has offered me genuine, careful critique without following their post with a personal attack and a zero score.

Put up or shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back