What's your favorite quote?

"If you want to be free, there is but one way: it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other."

-- Carl Schurz
 
"You ready to be fucked, man? I see you rolled your way into the semis. Dios mio, man. Liam and me, we're gonna fuck you up". Jesus Quintana (The Big Lebowski) :):heart:

L:rose:
 
The voice of beauty speaks softly; it creeps only into the most fully awakened souls ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
 
“It’s not as simple as that. It’s not a black-and-white issue. There are so many shades of gray.”
“There’s no grays, only white that’s got grubby. I’m surprised you don’t know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That’s what sin is.”
“It’s a lot more complicated than that-“
“No. It ain’t. When people say things are more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.”
“Oh, I’m sure there are worse crimes-“
“But they starts with thinking about people as things.”
— Granny Weatherwax to Mightily Oats (from Carpe Jugulum, Terry Pratchett)
 
Far too many, of course, but two that came into my mind when I saw the thread:

William Morris: 'Never allow anything into your house you do not know to be useful or think to be beautiful'. I'd say that applies to life, too.

And a more recent one, from the updated Sherlock Hound of the Baskervilles:

Jovial obvious villain: 'I could tell you. But then I'd have to kill you.'
Sherlock: 'That would be tremendously ambitious of you.'
 
"There is no point in having the capacity if you haven't got the will to use it."

That and "if you don't ask, you don't get", of course. :D
 
"People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones."

-- Charles F. Keating
 
“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”

-– Arthur Schopenhauer
 
This must be a quote, although I cannot for the life of me remember who promulgated THE THREE RULES OF LIFE:
1) Never eat at a place called "Mom's"
2) Never play cards with a man called "Doc"
3) Never go to bed with a woman who has more problems than you do.

Good advice.
 
In the world of advertising, there's no such thing as a lie. There's only expedient exaggeration.

--Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), North by Northwest
 
"When you are your own best friend, you don't endlessly seek out relationships, friendships, and validation from the wrong sources because you realize that the only approval and validation you need are your own"
Mandy Hale
 
“The supreme misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.”


― Leonardo da Vinci
 
Two reasons why we don't trust people:
1. We don't know them.
2. We know them.

Unknown
 
[T]hese citizens are always willing to bet that what Nicely-Nicely dies of will be overfeeding and never anything small like pneumonia, for Nicely-Nicely is known far and wide as a character who dearly loves to commit eating.

-- Damon Runyon, Lonely Hearts
 
[T]hese citizens are always willing to bet that what Nicely-Nicely dies of will be overfeeding and never anything small like pneumonia, for Nicely-Nicely is known far and wide as a character who dearly loves to commit eating.

-- Damon Runyon, Lonely Hearts

Anything Damon Runyon says is a thing that should be quoted, for the guy is a smart and funny guy with one hell of a sense for future imperfect tense.

It is my ambition that someday I will be known as a smut writer who can write like Damon Runyon. But I am never able to figure out how.
 
Stella, we can only hope to aspire to Damon Runyon's style. Apparently we've both tried it, and it's virtually impossible to duplicate. Mark Twain is similar.

Thank God we have books, eh? Here's another, from Broadway Complex:

"Personally, I always claim that Cecil Earl is a little screwy, or if he is not screwy that he will do very well as a pinch-hitter until a screwy guy comes to bat."
 
Back
Top