Search Stories and search by tags

I know the difference between the two search options, but which is best for finding very specific stories. As one allows you to search by selecting the story categories and going from there, without adding tags.

And with tags, you can search specific tag combinations, but can only view one category at a time.
I am learning about using * after specific tags so I don't have to select for example every tag that is a variation of "exhibit, exhibitionism, exhibitionist, etc"

I find myself having to do multiple tabs for searches and look for tag combinations, which can be annoying

A third option is to use Google search, restricting the results to Literotica only. For example, say I'm looking for a story which has "hair brushing" and "fingernails". I enter this search term:

+"hair brushing" +"fingernails" site:www.literotica.com/s

and Google will pull up a bunch of stories which fit the bill.

One limitation of this is that (unlike Literotica's site search) it treats each page separately, so if all the "hair brushing" is on page 1 and all the "fingernails" are on page 2, Google won't find it. But if you're searching on story tags, that shouldn't be an issue.

A third option is to use Google search...
+"hair brushing" +"fingernails" site:www.literotica.com/s

and Google will pull up a bunch of stories which fit the bill.

i don't think you need all that?

"hair brushing" fingernails site:literotica.com

should do it also. "hair brushing" looks for that exact phrase, hair brushing not in quotes would look for those terms in any order. as an aside, google search operators. i am particularly fond of AROUND:

site:literotica.com kiss AROUND(3) practice

"And with tags, you can search specific tag combinations, but can only view one category at a time."

I don't understand this claim. https://tags.literotica.com and click on a tag, then click on another along the side and and all stories with those tags are listed across all categories.

clean up the tags, educate the authors

the tags portal here is great and works quite well BUT why so many duplicates?
and big words, small words ???
group, group sex, group fun, should be one tag and group would be >4
and educate the authors, a 3some or 4some is not group sex

the tags portal here is great and works quite well BUT why so many duplicates?
and big words, small words ???
group, group sex, group fun, should be one tag and group would be >4
and educate the authors, a 3some or 4some is not group sex
Haha. Good luck with that! The tags are chosen by the authors off the tops of their heads, and since some folk seem to communicate wholly in text-speak, that's why you'll get 3some and 4some. Writers don't go picking from a list.

(whoops, didn't see this reply earlier)

i don't think you need all that?

"hair brushing" fingernails site:literotica.com

should do it also. "hair brushing" looks for that exact phrase, hair brushing not in quotes would look for those terms in any order. as an aside, google search operators. i am particularly fond of AROUND:

site:literotica.com kiss AROUND(3) practice

Ooh, nifty. Bookmarking that page.

I use + to require that those terms are included in the search results - otherwise Google will sometimes give "hair brushing" without "fingernails" or vice versa. However, it doesn't seem to enforce the + as strictly as it used to, so it may be this is an outdated habit of mine.

Using literotica.com/s rather than just literotica.com restricts the search to the stories area, skipping other stuff like author bio pages which might not be of interest.

Haha. Good luck with that! The tags are chosen by the authors off the tops of their heads, and since some folk seem to communicate wholly in text-speak, that's why you'll get 3some and 4some. Writers don't go picking from a list.

...and for the earlier stories, some of the tags were automatically generated by a not-very-bright computer script that simply looked for repeated word combinations, which leads to some nonsense tags that nobody would ever search for.

Some other sites have systems in place to encourage more consistent tagging. On AO3, when I start typing a tag, the site will auto-suggest pre-existing tags, and if I create a new tag moderators will look at it and decide whether to change it to match one of the existing tags. Unfortunately Literotica doesn't have such newfangled toys, so tagging is a bit more haphazard here.

Back